PDA

View Full Version : VFR400 Bat problems

Gixxer
17th December 2002, 11:14
Does anyone have an idea on what may be causing this problem?

Help would be appreciated.

battery kepts going flat,soI replaced it.then two phases of the
alternator packed ,I replaced that but the battery still run down
after aweek of going to work.Can only be a bung regulator,another
$300.If anyone has any other ideas they would be welcome.My bike is a
VFR400.at the same time one of my lungs keeps filling up with fluid
and it isnt YCATO,so I havent been on the bike for a while.But any
clues on the bike problem would be good

Cheers

Gixxer

What?
17th December 2002, 12:04
Yep, sounds like the Regulator/Rectifier unit is toast. Any half-way decent auto electrician should be able to check that out.
Another possibility is a minor short somewhere in the loom, most likely in the wiring directly related to the alternator or rectifier. I had the same problem in my Holden. It turned out to be an intermiitent short in the wire from the alternator to the ignition light.
Try removing the positive lead from the battery and putting a sensitive (digital) ammeter in the gap. Disconnect the power to your clock if its got one. You may find a current draw of a milliamp or two, in which case it is a slow, painful process of elimination to find the short, but if there is no draw then the reg/rec is almost certainly the cause. The same auto electrician that tests your reg/rec should also check this out. :brick: :brick: :brick: :brick:

Gixxer
17th December 2002, 13:45
Cheers Mate,

I let the person know.

What?
17th December 2002, 17:30
Hope it helps - electrical problems can be a bugger as electricity has the ability to completely defy all laws of physics...:beer:

What?
26th January 2003, 19:19
Hey Gixxer, how did you get on with the battery problem? Was I a help or a hinderance?:cool:

Gixxer
26th January 2003, 22:11
did not hear back from him, but he has been riding around, so I think it went well.

Cheers

Will see if I can find out.

Kwaka-Kid
20th February 2003, 12:12
argh! my ZXR400 has same problem! everybody jump over to my new topic and post same ideas :P hehe, seriously, i need help:/

wkid_one
20th February 2003, 13:38
Hey Logan - it sounds likes they bike needs help as well!

Kwaka-Kid
20th February 2003, 15:13
hahahha smart-ass :D