PDA

View Full Version : Seeking employment in motorcycle shop!

bc.worldlive
21st March 2012, 21:11
Hey Bro's
I'm new to kiwibiker, and i gotta say, wicked! to see so many getting into it!
i came upon this forum when i was searching for Motorcycle apprenticeships in auckland, unfortunately there doesn't appear to be a lot out there listings wise.
My name is BoDean, i've come down to Auckland from Whangarei, hoping that i can broaden my horizons a bit and hopefully find some entry level work in the bike automotive industry.

I don't have any mechanical experience, but i love to ride and i'm keen to learn the ins and out(hopefully without dis-assembling my own bike), which i think is probably the most important thing!!
If anyone has any suggestions as to how i can improve my chances of getting my foot in the door, or knows of any shops that i could take my c.v round to, i'd really appreciate it.

i'm going to print copies of my c.v tomorrow, and if it's not raining too hard, il pay st barys point a visit.
wish me luck, and again any advice would rock!

cheers

Crasherfromwayback
21st March 2012, 21:25
Hey Bro's
I'm new to kiwibiker, and i gotta say, wicked! to see so many getting into it!
i came upon this forum when i was searching for Motorcycle apprenticeships in auckland, unfortunately there doesn't appear to be a lot out there listings wise.
My name is BoDean, i've come down to Auckland from Whangarei, hoping that i can broaden my horizons a bit and hopefully find some entry level work in the bike automotive industry.

I don't have any mechanical experience, but i love to ride and i'm keen to learn the ins and out(hopefully without dis-assembling my own bike), which i think is probably the most important thing!!
If anyone has any suggestions as to how i can improve my chances of getting my foot in the door, or knows of any shops that i could take my c.v round to, i'd really appreciate it.

i'm going to print copies of my c.v tomorrow, and if it's not raining too hard, il pay st barys point a visit.
wish me luck, and again any advice would rock!

cheers

Make sure you're well dressed and tidy. Be humble and polite.The bike industry is notoriously hard to get in to, but well worth it if that's your dream/plan/lifestyle choice.

I've been doing it for 25 years now, and still love it.

bc.worldlive
21st March 2012, 21:28
thanks alot man, hmmmm, to shave or not to shave....

GingerMidget
21st March 2012, 21:38
Shave. Would you hire someone who looked like they didn't care?

bc.worldlive
21st March 2012, 21:40
haha thanx, although i think i look pretty handsome with a bit of stubble. okay okay, il shave

DrunkenMistake
21st March 2012, 21:42
Shave,
But you should get one easy enough, you own a Hyo and they will assume you have alot of experience fixing broken bikes :shutup:

Good luck mate,
I know the bike shop scene is pretty picky down this end of the country at least, due to the lack of business but I think thats national wide

bc.worldlive
21st March 2012, 21:50
haha! thanks alot bro, i'm guessing you've had a bit of trouble with your hyosung? only issue with mine, she starts when SHE wants to, yeah i'm putting it down to the fact that motorcycle are alot less common than cars, therefore less potential business.

keep em coming!
cheers

DrunkenMistake
21st March 2012, 22:03
haha! thanks alot bro, i'm guessing you've had a bit of trouble with your hyosung? only issue with mine, she starts when SHE wants to, yeah i'm putting it down to the fact that motorcycle are alot less common than cars, therefore less potential business.

keep em coming!
cheers

Brought it with 6,000km on the clock, within 2 weeks the stator and r/r fucked out, then a month later the master cylinder, but now thats all fixed there isnt a whole lot left to go wrong in the way of common Hyosung problems haha.

I know in timaru you can do a motorcycle mechanics coarse im sure there will be something in the NI, It would be probably in your best interest to do that coarse or something along the lines of a polytech automotive engineering class, at least then it shows you have an able ability to learn new things, and you are capable of basic engine mechanics etc, would be worth looking into anyway.

The Lone Rider
21st March 2012, 22:05
Buy some spanners, get a workshop manual on the net, go to a print shop and get it printed and bound, then pull your bike apart, and then back together.

The lesson will be invaluable.

bc.worldlive
21st March 2012, 22:12
i don't know which one of your options are best, they both sound... expensive financially or safety wise.

im no stranger to pulling her apart, never taken the engine apart though.

"Brought it with 6,000km on the clock, within 2 weeks the stator and r/r fucked out, then a month later the master cylinder, but now thats all fixed there isnt a whole lot left to go wrong in the way of common Hyosung problems haha."

damn i feel for you bro, the only thing i had to replace was my speedo, and i thought THAT was expensive

haydes55
21st March 2012, 22:17

keep em coming!
cheers

On my '06 GTR250 I figured out a trick to start it easier. Get the bike in neutral with the sidestand up (I started when I was sitting on it). When you try starting it on the sidestand the computer forgets it's in neutral and cuts the ignition.

bc.worldlive
21st March 2012, 22:20
good stuff!, but do you know i found the opposite, i found that she starts quicker with her stand down, and this might sound strange, but when i have my helmet off she starts everytime, right away, i swear she's alive sometimes.

man this forum rocks, you guys are full of ideas

haydes55
21st March 2012, 22:28
good stuff!, but do you know i found the opposite, i found that she starts quicker with her stand down, and this might sound strange, but when i have my helmet off she starts everytime, right away, i swear she's alive sometimes.

man this forum rocks, you guys are full of ideas

Haha nice to see they don't have the same problems :facepalm:

Is it struggling to start in mornings more than evenings? Using the choke? You just need to find the one thing that changes and solve the issue from there.

DrunkenMistake
21st March 2012, 22:49
Haha nice to see they don't have the same problems :facepalm:

Is it struggling to start in mornings more than evenings? Using the choke? You just need to find the one thing that changes and solve the issue from there.

You guys will have different issues having the 250 model, but if your having issues starting it could be a bad earth,which is more than common on these bikes, not to mention all the wiring is crimped and no soldered.. Fucking Koreans.

Nvm, I only got mine due to it been a cheap 600+
Im trying to convince a fella from work to swap his Hornet 900 for it though, he wants a 'slower bike' as he put it. Doubt it will happen but he seemed pretty interested.

gammaguy
21st March 2012, 23:05
haha thanx, although i think i look pretty handsome with a bit of stubble. okay okay, il shave

it works like this:

if your handsome,the boss will be worried you will get to shag the office girl, and thats his gig-so you wont get the job

if youre ugly,you will scare away the customers-so you wont get the job

best advice-go for the clean shaven but not over the top look-you might just get the job

good luck.

haydes55
21st March 2012, 23:24
it works like this:

if your handsome,the boss will be worried you will get to shag the office girl, and thats his gig-so you wont get the job

Guess I'm destined to be unemployed :cry:

;)

unstuck
22nd March 2012, 08:13
Fuck the job, find your passion. Thats were the REAL money is.;)

bc.worldlive
22nd March 2012, 09:43
haha!! love it man,
alright im off to print my c.v then it's to st barys point road.
im gunna try make the best impression i can, from there it's up to them

wish me luck and i'l let you know how i go.
thanks again guys!

shafty
22nd March 2012, 11:38
Best advice here so far is dress very tidily, be humble.

Offer to start sweeping the workshop floor or cleaning bikes - or filling in if and when they are short handed.

Maybe also say (if told no vacancy) "Would you mind if I check back in a few weeks?" - makes you feel better about reapproaching them, they've essentially invited you to!

Good luck.

Nothing personal in this - true story in our local rural area - a Local bumped in to a Young townie sporting along, LOST, in his low slung Impreza (thanks for the grading the metal for us Bro, lol) - he asked directions to a local Dairy farm where he was due for an interview for a Farm Hand position.

He then said, "Should I put my shirt back on for the interview?" (he was driving just n his jeans)

FFS

G4L4XY
22nd March 2012, 18:20
the only thing i had to replace was my speedo, and i thought THAT was expensive

Yeah my temp guage doesn't work, tacho doesn't light up and i don't think the oil light works either.

I checked the price for a new one and thought "nah fuck that" so now at night time all I see is my speed and my fuel haha

Do you have the flatspot at 5500rpm in 3rd on your 06 hyo?

bc.worldlive
22nd March 2012, 22:00
Yeah my temp guage doesn't work, tacho doesn't light up and i don't think the oil light works either.

I checked the price for a new one and thought "nah fuck that" so now at night time all I see is my speed and my fuel haha

Do you have the flatspot at 5500rpm in 3rd on your 06 hyo?

same issues here man, with my replacement speedo the rev counter is illuminated(previous 1 wasnt) and yup speed and fuel only(and hi lo beam) and indicators), im guessing that the speedometer is fine in this case, but the sensor must not work at the other end??, thats my theory, i'm not too upset about it though.and no i havent notice a flatspot, 3rd is my favorite gear coz it's so smooth, first gear is horrible on it so touchy

so i took my cv around to 2 places today, and managed to speak with the owner/manager on both occasions, they both seemed un-impressed by my lack of experience, but i must have done something right coz, both suggested that i might hear from them next week.
there are alot more shops around, so same again for tomorrow i think!

bc.worldlive
22nd March 2012, 22:20
oh and, do you recon it's rude to call back if i dont hear from them in say a week or two?
i want to make sure they read my cv, but dont wanna nag them to death.

baffa
23rd March 2012, 15:33
Be persistant. They have plenty of things on their minds, and a little reminder doesnt hurt.
If I was you, in order to put in a good impression, I'd find out the name of the person you needed to speak to, like the manager of the store, or workshop manager etc. Walk in, ask for them, and say something to the effect of "Hello Joe, my name is X, I am currently looking for work in the motorcycle industry, and as the workshop manager I believe you are the man to talk to!"

This way you look well prepared, eager, and professional. Really though, I would think that unless you want to work in the retail side, you will need some qualification or experience working on bikes.
GL

scott411
24th March 2012, 12:52
i would not cotinue to call every couple of weeks, this just pisses off theowner/manager,

also if you see an add that says to email post a cv then do that, i know if people come in and ask about it, it show to me that they can not follow instruction, and that is a bad thing,

it is not a great time in for the motorcycle industry at the moment so people may not be hiring either,

bc.worldlive
24th March 2012, 13:26
okay, good stuff.
that's a shame to hear ay, although i'm not put off by that,
just means i gotta be a bit more creative, i'm keen to do some free work in shops, to try to get some workshop experience, so we'll see if anything becomes of that.

thanks man