PDA

View Full Version : Bird strike!

rideon
25th March 2012, 21:21
Cruising home today after our lunch in Raglan, we were taking the long way home via the top of the harbour & Waingaro. Came around a RH corner prolly just a tad over the 100 cliks mark , and about 10 -15 mtrs in front of me was a BLOODY hawk mid flight with road kill in tow at about head height . Only had an instant to stand the bike up get on the picks. The rear locked up (as I clearly remember the sound ) and I was off them again just about as quickly - and WHAMM, head just about ripped off my shoulders with a face full of Hawk. Have no idea how I negotiated the remainder of the corner but came to a stop on the shoulder of the road with the hawk dead undies full and a very sore neck. My Visor took the full impact as I remember it pushing into my face - didn't break though ???? Have had a few close calls in the past with Hawks & Pukakoe's but this was the first time I have connected - not much fun at all !!!

Clearly the Hawk failed to give way ..............:laugh:

Oakie
25th March 2012, 21:31
Clearly the Hawk failed to give way ..............:laugh:

He should have worn hi-viz so you could have seen him earlier.

Actually I've connected with a couple of hawks while driving a bus between Twizel and Mt Cook. Big enough fright hitting the windsceen a few feet from my head.

The Singing Chef
25th March 2012, 21:44
I feel your pain, have had a large bird fly into my visor, not 5 seconds after I closed it, going down dominion road in Aucks, bloody hurt aand gave me a huge fright!

nosebleed
25th March 2012, 21:49
Had one just south of Mercer. Cunting thing changed its mind 3x going back and forth across the road.
I ended up just having to tuck my chin, and shoulder charge it.

Yokels in the car i'd just overtaken thought it was awesomeness.

Sore frikken shoulder for weeks, those pricks are solid.

sleemanj
26th March 2012, 00:10
Came around a RH corner prolly just a tad over the 100 cliks mark , and about 10 -15 mtrs in front of me

Think of it this way, at least it wasn't a tractor, child, or cop 10-15 meters around that corner.

I'll just leave this here. (http://www.legislation.govt.nz/regulation/public/2004/0427/latest/DLM303092.html?search=ts_regulation_road+user_rese l&p=1#DLM303092)

LBD
26th March 2012, 01:40

Not related to the photo, I collected two ducks with my helmet. First glanced off but the second caught me square on, pushed the visor in and gave me a bloody nose. Some what dazed I pulled over. A following car pulled over...did a u-turn and went back to puck up he ducks with so much as checking to see if I was okay.

Tigadee
26th March 2012, 07:07
:pinch:Smart arse birds, think they are right quick but what do they know... Should send Katman to go talk to them about situational awareness.

GSF
26th March 2012, 08:31
Fuck me, I can't imagine collecting a hawk with my face. I caught a sparrow with my Shoei last year on SH16 and that hurt bad enough, tiny little bird but at 110 it felt like a good smack in the face! Poor little bastard disintegrated, I was lucky to not bin it - throttle hand came off the bars and I couldn't see shit because my visor was splattered with blood and feathers. Only reason I didn't stack it was that I'd just exited a corner and was accelerating onto a dead flat straight with the bike upright.

G4L4XY
26th March 2012, 09:12

Cheeky bastard catching a free ride!!

manxkiwi
26th March 2012, 09:48
I too hit a hawk with my clutch hand. A mate ahead spooked it out of the roadside ditch. Came staight out in front of me. Bent the clutch lever over my fingers! Didn't actually hurt, though the impact was pretty heavy. I remember thinking, shit I wouldn't want that in the head!!

awa355
26th March 2012, 11:38
Aren't Hawks protected???

sleemanj
26th March 2012, 11:41

Obviously wasn't ATGATT
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2794/4363475850_75c5e8a980.jpg

Zedder
26th March 2012, 11:43

Not from traffic impact.

miSTa
26th March 2012, 19:46
Managed to collect a hawk in the chest a couple of years going through Lewis Pass. To make matter worse it got stuck between my arms and started flapping its wings like mad trying to escape. Took me two attempts to get rid of it.

Not the most pleasant of experiences. Bit shy of Hawks now, they are somewhat unpredictable.

mossy1200
26th March 2012, 20:01
Got me a wood pigeon in the arm that ended up under my armpit.The instant tank slap was the thing that frightened me the most.

DangerMice
26th March 2012, 20:37
I hit 2 bumble bees today, does that count? :whistle:

LBD
26th March 2012, 20:39
Cheeky bastard catching a free ride!!

Free?....it cost him the ultimate price....

Ender EnZed
26th March 2012, 21:10
Right in the face in not a good place to collect things. If you hit them with the front wheel/forks while dead upright though you'd be amazed how easy it is to get straight through just about anything that isn't made of metal. Seagulll, sheep... with a touch of throttle you'll just cut them in two like they're not even there.

Makes a bit of a mess though...

spanner spinner
26th March 2012, 21:32
I have seen the result of GSX1100 (big heavy solid old school) versus sheep, and high speed GSX hitting a sheep sheep loses cut it half, getting the green staining from what the sheep had been eating off the engine is the bit that proved to be impossable, nothing we tryed would clean it off. The sheep did alter the shape of the forks, glad it was a friend of mine in front of me on that ride that found the sheep not me!!!!

I use to do a lot of night riding so have hit a few possums, I am sure they are made of concrete as they will lift a bike wheel off the road and then get up and run away. I have also thrown one at a friend of mine. He was following my tailight as I had the better headlight (GSX1135 with 150 watt bulb) when I clipped one with the front wheel. This flicked it quite high up into the air behind me and next second it entered the top of the headlight beam of my friend behind me and landed square in front of him to be run over again. He thought it was the funnest possum he had ever seen legs spread wide trying to fly, quickley didn't think it was so funny when he realised where it was going to land.

Ender EnZed
26th March 2012, 21:41
I have seen the result of GSX1100 (big heavy solid old school) versus sheep, and high speed GSX hitting a sheep sheep loses cut it half, getting the green staining from what the sheep had been eating off the engine is the bit that proved to be impossable, nothing we tryed would clean it off.

A little CRC cleans that shit right off. It smells terrible for longing than you can imagine though.

The sheep did alter the shape of the forks, glad it was a friend of mine in front of me on that ride that found the sheep not me!!!!

Suzuki's must be made of lesser stuff. The VFR cleaned up at ~100km/h with nary a sight of bending metal!

mossy1200
26th March 2012, 21:51
Guy i new hit one with fjr and ended up with rideable bike but forks bent till tyre almost on road scoop.

when I had Guzzi 1100sport i managed to clip one with the header pipe.Angle pushed it downwards and then into my peg causing big fat swollen club foot.Dead sheep undamaged bike and sore foot.Felt ok when I got to A&E and saw a mx guy that had bent his cross boots between his peg and a tree stump in the shape of a C.

SMOKEU
26th March 2012, 21:56
I use to do a lot of night riding so have hit a few possums, I am sure they are made of concrete as they will lift a bike wheel off the road and then get up and run away.

They are tough little cunts, it's hard enough to kill them with a gun.

Ender EnZed
26th March 2012, 22:02
Guy i new hit one with fjr and ended up with rideable bike but forks bent till tyre almost on road scoop.

when I had Guzzi 1100sport i managed to clip one with the header pipe.Angle pushed it downwards and then into my peg causing big fat swollen club foot.Dead sheep undamaged bike and sore foot.Felt ok when I got to A&E and saw a mx guy that had bent his cross boots between his peg and a tree stump in the shape of a C.

You've really gotta try hard to fuck a possum up. They are made of unobtainoum/ magical fibre. They will not die short of a concerted effort with a serious firearm.

If you have one, use it!!!

awa355
27th March 2012, 10:17
A pig would be the worst animal to hit, with any vehicle. There's nothing soft about them. I have seen a light truck that was tipped over by a wild pig going under the front on the Mangakino rd. Broke the front axle U bolts.

mossy1200
27th March 2012, 16:49
A pig would be the worst animal to hit, with any vehicle. There's nothing soft about them. I have seen a light truck that was tipped over by a wild pig going under the front on the Mangakino rd. Broke the front axle U bolts.

A horse got hit at the North end of Oamaru 20 odd years ago by 4 cars.All looked in bad shape.It got up after going over the first bonnet and went over a second one before being hit 2 more times while on the ground.
Off topic a xr250 doing a runner at night with no lights got rear ended by a black and white MOT car.It wrecked the v3000 and only broke the bike chain.Not something you see every day.Rider was ok he tryed to run away on foot afterwards.(Again Oamaru)

Canis G.
27th March 2012, 17:40
I hit a sparrow with the arm on my RV mirror once, it spun around and around the mirror arm while disintergrating. I could not believe such a small animal could produce such a huge quantity of blood and guts and spray it so far. My whole upper body, including visor was covered - stunk as well.

Usarka
27th March 2012, 18:26
I have seen a light truck that was tipped over by a pig going under the front on the Mangakino rd. Broke the front axle U bolts.

Did they get the pigs motorcycle out from under the truck?