PDA

View Full Version : License Plate Troubles

Sniper
27th July 2005, 08:44
While doing a bit of a clean and a tune of the bike yesterday I noticed that my license plate has a huge split along the top.
Now Im not 100% sure on what to do, do I go into and LTSA and get a new one (Whats the cost in that and will it have to be re-rego'd) or can I repair this one somehow.

I only ask because I had to walk to work this morning in fear of the thing flying off. :no: Im scared because I hate walking and Im afraid of getting exercise. :rofl:

sAsLEX
27th July 2005, 08:55
clear duct tape?

James Deuce
27th July 2005, 08:58
It doesn't have to be re-regoed, they can replace the plate. I don't think it's all that expensive. Prison labour is cheap. It may even be free.

Have you checked the LTNZ (LTSA) web site?

bugjuice
27th July 2005, 09:11
yeah, if you give them your plate, they'll restamp a new one for ya.. can't remember how much it cost

Sniper
27th July 2005, 09:29
Thanks guys

vifferman
27th July 2005, 09:30
Or it's just over $8 to get a new one with a different number.

Sniper
27th July 2005, 09:42
Or it's just over $8 to get a new one with a different number.

Thats what I just found out by calling them. This is after I asked to speak to a supervisor after the silly girl informed me that I would have to deregister the bike and then reregister it. I almost fell off my chair

Oh well, a trip to the VINZ station today is in order then, damn, I liked my plate!

placidfemme
27th July 2005, 09:49
You shouldn't have to do that... Sam was hit from behind and Red Baron quoted up $11 for a new number plate... Call up Red Baron, speak with Mike in thwe workshop and he should be able to help you out :) he's a good guy :)

unhingedlizard
27th July 2005, 10:04
Speaking of which, how is the sams bike situation now? What is being done?

Sorry, just a nosy bastard.

ManDownUnder
27th July 2005, 10:05
A couple of bits of stainless rivetted on from behind might do the trick?

A lot of stuffing around though when it's only $8 to get a new one...

placidfemme
27th July 2005, 10:08
Speaking of which, how is the sams bike situation now? What is being done?

Sorry, just a nosy bastard.

So as not to steal the topic, I'll post a reply to this in the "Insurance Co's Suck" :)

crashe
27th July 2005, 10:25
Ok my rego plate is totally falling apart after I had been hit from behind...

Anyways... I got a friend to make a steel plate the same size as the rego plate.. and its bolted to the bike. I use extra large washers to hold it all in place. The steel plate has had all the ends nicely rounded and the sides all smoothed off so that there is no rough or sharp bits on it.

I want to keep the same number plate, but the only way to do that is hand in my plate and apply for a personalised number plate with the same letters and numbers. Well I aint gonna pay over $400 buckaroos.

So I have the steel plate behind it now. It works.

Im just thinking that maybe I might glue the number plate to the steel plate...
Are we allowed to do that????

Sniper
27th July 2005, 10:44
Ok my rego plate is totally falling apart after I had been hit from behind...

Anyways... I got a friend to make a steel plate the same size as the rego plate.. and its bolted to the bike. I use extra large washers to hold it all in place. The steel plate has had all the ends nicely rounded and the sides all smoothed off so that there is no rough or sharp bits on it.

I want to keep the same number plate, but the only way to do that is hand in my plate and apply for a personalised number plate with the same letters and numbers. Well I aint gonna pay over $400 buckaroos.

So I have the steel plate behind it now. It works.

Im just thinking that maybe I might glue the number plate to the steel plate...
Are we allowed to do that????

Being bored at work I gave them a ring and asked that and the answer I got was that as long as it doesn't get classed as a dangerous attachment by the WOF guys its fine with them

unhingedlizard
27th July 2005, 10:58
So as not to steal the topic, I'll post a reply to this in the "Insurance Co's Suck" :)

Buggering up my attepmts of thread hijacking, damn you!

speights_bud
27th July 2005, 22:17
If you want to get cheeky try this. Drill 2 new holes somewhere near the middle (or preferably use the originals) and tie wire it back on upside down. Mr Plod then might find it difficuilt to read the plate at a glimpse. And your excuse is. "it fell off and i have just had to tie it on until i can get it replaced, Must have put it on upside down by mistake".
Or even better get a plate such as 'MOM' that you can flip over to say 'WOW' instead. should beat the speed cam's at least. Have heard of it working but don't quote me on it.

What?
28th July 2005, 06:39
The big square(ish) plates had a reputation for breaking due to vibration. LTSA were replacing them for free, and probably still are.
It is illegal to drill more holes in a plate (believe it or not), even to prevent it breaking through vibration...

Sniper
28th July 2005, 08:39
If you want to get cheeky try this. Drill 2 new holes somewhere near the middle (or preferably use the originals) and tie wire it back on upside down. Mr Plod then might find it difficuilt to read the plate at a glimpse. And your excuse is. "it fell off and i have just had to tie it on until i can get it replaced, Must have put it on upside down by mistake".
Or even better get a plate such as 'MOM' that you can flip over to say 'WOW' instead. should beat the speed cam's at least. Have heard of it working but don't quote me on it.

But thats illegal :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :no: :no:

Hehehe

vifferman
28th July 2005, 09:01
It is illegal to drill more holes in a plate (believe it or not), even to prevent it breaking through vibration...
So?
I doubt that anyone apart from the most picky and bureaucratic of lawn enfrostment offalshells is going to hassle you about it.
On my VFR750, I drilled extra holes in it and fastened my WOF and rego holders to the back of the plate. :whocares:

Wolf
28th July 2005, 09:43
The big square(ish) plates had a reputation for breaking due to vibration. LTSA were replacing them for free, and probably still are.
I broke the law, then - when they issued me with a new plate for the Savage (old square one snapped off somewhere between Tauwhare and Te Awamutu)

a) They charged me 8 bucks for a new plate and 20c for a reprint of my registration rather than replacing the old squre plate for free and

b) there were no holes in the new plate at all, I had to ride with no plate on out to a friend's place and borrow his drill. So as I added holes, I guess I'm guilty of a crime. Spud, Scumdog, one of you PM me and I'll give you my address for the arrest.

What?
28th July 2005, 20:07
:whocares:
My sentiments egg zackerly.

speights_bud
29th July 2005, 17:17
But thats illegal :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :no: :no:

Hehehe
Catch 22. Damned if we fix em, damned if we don't display em. sounds like proper common sense to me :weird:
Sound like they thought that law through alot... go the Nz Government :motu:

myvice
29th July 2005, 20:29
Rip it off and carry it around in a back pack.
"Its broken officer, I'm on my way to get a new one" :devil2:

Sniper
29th July 2005, 22:21
Rip it off and carry it around in a back pack.
"Its broken officer, I'm on my way to get a new one" :devil2:

I thought of that. But I got a new one today. Bloody ends in a swearword bastard plate. hehehe.

I just need a rego now

eldog
26th January 2018, 21:07

I have looked, but anyone know were to confirm this?

i want to drill 2 more holes to mount the plate betterer

i have seen plates lates with more holes in from start.

but this plate only has 2 along the top and it doesn’t match the mounting plate on the machine.

Gremlin
26th January 2018, 22:04
It is illegal to alter/deface the plate in any way. That said, a blind eye is turned because you have to mount it somehow.

Nice dredge :laugh:

Banditbandit
30th January 2018, 10:49
My plate ripped off a while ago - left bits of it around the bolts.

I cut an aluminium plate to mount it on - drilled four holes and pop-riveted it to the plate - drilled new mount holes ...

No cop's ever complained ..

Laava
30th January 2018, 11:18
It is illegal to alter/deface the plate in any way. That said, a blind eye is turned because you have to mount it somehow.

Nice dredge :laugh:

It would only be an issue if you had appeared to make it harder to identify the numbers I'm picking.
I had one plate that I drilled the fuck out of the two outer edges and filled them with leds to turn it into a combination number plate/led indicators. It went through a compliance check no problems.

rastuscat
30th January 2018, 11:33
The problem is a lack of consistent enforcement. One cop closing his eyes to it doesn't make it legal.

A chatted to a guy with a sticker front plate on his car the other day. He said it was legal coz he passed a WoF with the sticker on. Thing is, it's not something checked at a WoF check.

Plates on KTM 200s and 390s often need reinforcement or they simply vibrate off.

Gremlins right. It's not legal, but it's a good idea to reinforce a plate on some bikes.

eldog
30th January 2018, 13:27
Right not legal to modify
No intention to make it hard to read or whatever
Just looks ugly to me anyway
License plate mounted onto a UK square type plate mount surface

Going to modify it with a bit of old NZ cunning so it does look so crap.

It may need reinforcement good reminder:niceone:

Trying hard to keep bike looking sharp