PDA

View Full Version : Botany Honda

Spazman727
27th March 2012, 19:35
I went to Botany Honda to get a pre purchase inspection on a bike that I ended up buying. I went there because that was the closest bike shop to the guy who was selling the bike.
They pointed out that the steering head bearings needed to be replaced.
What they didn't point out however was that the speedo and tacho lights don't work (a big deal for me since it is my only vehicle and will need to be used at night), the oil pressure switch wire was corroded and subsequently came off and the kick stand engine cutoff thingo was broken. Now I know these aren't a bit deal to fix, but surely they should have told me about them.
I called them yesterday to ask what the story was and they said that the $80 pre purchase inspection is essentially a warrant of fitness check, and that they didn't check whether basic safety precautions were in place. Is this standard, that they charge 3 times a WOF check for a WOF check or are Botany Honda ripping off unsuspecting people?
I called them about the problems and they laughed when I asked them to come fix the problem because I don't have time to go all the way back there, and again when I suggested they pick up the bike (from the Shore) and give me a loan bike.

So basically the point of this post is to say that I would not recommend Botany Honda for a pre purchase inspection. This is the only dealing I have had with them, but if given a choice I would much rather go to Cycletreads who I have had much experience with and they have been nothing but helpful.

I gave Botany Honda fair course to sort out the problem but the just didn't seem interested.

The Singing Chef
27th March 2012, 20:54
Two words mate - Motorcycle Doctor.

He even comes to you.

Woodman
27th March 2012, 21:02
Not up to them to fix the issues they missed, but maybe a refund or part refund on the inspection fee.

Checking dashlights in the daytime? I bet a lot would have missed that, same with the sidestand switch for that matter.

Mully
27th March 2012, 21:16
Not up to them to fix the issues they missed, but maybe a refund or part refund on the inspection fee.

Checking dashlights in the daytime? I bet a lot would have missed that, same with the sidestand switch for that matter.

I agree and disagree - the argument would be that OP wouldn't have bought the bike for the same price had they known about all the issues.

I think Botany should definately apologise and refund the whole fee - surely there's no point in a pre-purchase check with no liability attached.

Maybe free labour if OP buys the parts to repair...

Spazman727
27th March 2012, 21:30

I would have thought that was a pretty important thing to check, and I don't care that much about the side stand. I just wish they would have told me. Labour isn't an issue cos I can do it myself, but I would like some sort of recompense which they are totally unwilling to provide.

The point stands, do not use Botany Honda for a pre purchase check.

pritch
27th March 2012, 21:36
So if they just do a Warrant of Fitness check why should anyone pay $80.00?

Woodman
27th March 2012, 21:37
I agree and disagree - the argument would be that OP wouldn't have bought the bike for the same price had they known about all the issues.

I think Botany should definately apologise and refund the whole fee - surely there's no point in a pre-purchase check with no liability attached.

Maybe free labour if OP buys the parts to repair...

Yup that would be fair.

sil3nt
27th March 2012, 21:40
Wouldn't expect them to find sidestand switch (since most are disabled on purpose) or instrument backlights. And it sounds like a small corroded wire they missed which again I wouldn't expect them to find but I guess that depends on where it is located.

I have a bike appraisal from Honda Hamilton and this is what is listed that they checked:

Engine: Oil level and how clean the oil is.
Frame: Visual check (for dents I am assuming)
Wheels and brakes: Pads, discs, and wheel condition
Lights: Headlights, brakelights, indicators - wouldn't expect them to find back lights for instruments
Tyres: Tread depth
Other: They checked fairings and reported damage and old repairs. Also checked charging system with lights at different stages.

All for $60.

$80 is an hours work so I hope you got a better list than I did!

slowpoke
27th March 2012, 21:51
Wouldn't expect them to find sidestand switch (since most are disabled on purpose) or instrument backlights. And it sounds like a small corroded wire they missed which again I wouldn't expect them to find but I guess that depends on where it is located.

Yep, my thinking too. Go to any bike with an anolog speedo/tacho and it's a tough call to tell if the backlit dash lights are working in daylight. And if the oil pressure wire was connected at the time with the sensor working how are they supposed to find a problem? Are the supposed to inspect every single wire/connector on the bike? Are you gonna pay for that? As above, lotsa side stand switches are bypassed, and depending on age of bike not even fitted, so not exactly a red card offence.

So they missed a coupla dash lights but picked up the steering head bearings....build a bridge, man.

Gremlin
27th March 2012, 22:00
It sounds like you didn't actually ask for a list of what they would do in a check? It would also allow you to request more, or know where you stand... to thoroughly check out a bike would also cost a hell of a lot more too...

I've used them a lot over 5+ years, found their servicing excellent and they're an honest bunch who aren't out to rip people off.

Spazman727
27th March 2012, 22:07

The wire was on top of the engine, clearly visible. Me, with my very limited bike experience was able to fine it shorty after the bike decided not to start. In my opinion, backlights should be a thing to check, and also say that the kickstand had been disconnected.

Spazman727
27th March 2012, 22:13
It sounds like you didn't actually ask for a list of what they would do in a check? It would also allow you to request more, or know where you stand... to thoroughly check out a bike would also cost a hell of a lot more too...

I've used them a lot over 5+ years, found their servicing excellent and they're an honest bunch who aren't out to rip people off.

I do have a list of what they checked, and under the lights heading it says tacho and speedo. I have next to no knowledge of bikes and discovered the oil pressure wire was disconnected.
I'm not disputing that people have had years of good experience, but my first and last has been bad.

Tigadee
27th March 2012, 22:40
Yet another dealer that said the steering bearing needs to be replaced but missed other (what should've been more important) things...

Is it easy money, saying that the steering bearings need replacing? Haldanes did the same thing for a pre-purcahse inspection.

flyingcrocodile46
27th March 2012, 23:07
So they missed a coupla dash lights but picked up the steering head bearings....build a bridge, man.

I agree. It's unreasonable to expect perfection for pocket money.

However if their checklist specifically stated 'Lights, tacho & speedo' then imo they should sort his lights out in the interest of fair play. The bike should be delivered to them and they should give him a coffee and hold his hand while his lights are fixed up.

Perhaps being laughed at didn't help matters, but neither does unrealistic propositions about off site service, bike pick ups and loaners for an issue that can be sorted in an hour or so.

All a bit silly really.

onearmedbandit
27th March 2012, 23:54
I'm in car sales. $120 will get you a comprehensive inspection on a car, including compressions. That's for a car. And they are generally 120 point give or take. So for $80 for a bike inspection I'd expect to know everything that is easy to inspect to be inspected. Anything less is a rip.

As far as coming to do the repairs, good luck. Find a franchise dealer that will do that for you if, even if you bought your new car/bike from them. They will want to fix it at their premises. As far as getting it to their premises, sure maybe if you bought the vehicle from them they might come pick it up. And getting a loan bike? They will have limited loan bikes, and a waiting list for those from people that bought their bike from them. You don't stand a chance.

Maha
28th March 2012, 05:53
Waits for Botany Honda to retort as they have a logon....:corn:

nzspokes
28th March 2012, 06:44
I believe $80 for a bike inspection is fair. If of course that is a comprehensive report. $80 would be about an hours labour and you can check a lot in an hour. More so if your a trained motorcycle mechanic. Even though the things missed in there check are minor they should not have been missed. The stand cut out is part of the basic functionality for the safety of the bike.

If you really feel they have not done the job to an acceptable standard I would be contacting The Commerce Commission. Its a pretty pain free system they have and they will investigate it.

Maha
28th March 2012, 06:52
I believe $80 for a bike inspection is fair. If of course that is a comprehensive report. $80 would be about an hours labour and you can check a lot in an hour. More so if your a trained motorcycle mechanic. Even though the things missed in there check are minor they should not have been missed. The stand cut out is part of the basic functionality for the safety of the bike.

If you really feel they have not done the job to an acceptable standard I would be contacting The Commerce Commission. Its a pretty pain free system they have and they will investigate it.

Indeed Rob, $80 is fair if you accept it at the time...just becomes unfair when (later on that day) you discover that when comparing apples with apples, what you in fact have, is a lemon.

nzspokes
28th March 2012, 07:12
Indeed Rob, $80 is fair if you accept it at the time...just become unfair when (later on that day) you discover that when comparing apples with apples, what you in fact have, is a lemon.

Which is not the point of this thread?

jasonu
28th March 2012, 13:01

I have a bike appraisal from Honda Hamilton and this is what is listed that they checked:

Lights: Headlights, brakelights, indicators - wouldn't expect them to find back lights for instruments
Other: They checked fairings and reported damage and old repairs. Also checked charging system with lights at different stages.

All for $60.

Did they show you this check list before you agreed to have them do this inspection?
That is a list of things any self respecting motorcyclist should NEVER pay someone else to do.

sil3nt
28th March 2012, 13:08
Did they show you this check list before you agreed to have them do this inspection?
That is a list of things any self respecting motorcyclist should NEVER pay someone else to do.:laugh::tugger:

jasonu
28th March 2012, 13:13
:laugh::tugger:

Meh, what is your point?

Going by your list the only 'speciality' tool you would need to complete what is basically a visual inspection is a multi meter which you can buy for a lot less than the $60 you paid for the inspection.
I have been around bikes and bike people for a lot of years and I honestly cannot think of one that couldn't do that inspection him/herself for free in less than 30 minutes.

Bassmatt
28th March 2012, 14:57
That is a list of things any self respecting motorcyclist should NEVER pay someone else to do.

I agree :shutup:

Spazman727
28th March 2012, 15:24
I didn't see the list beforehand, but on their website it says 'For a small charge one of our mechanics will give the bike a full safety check and engine inspection.'
That, to me, sounds like more than a wof check.

bsasuper
28th March 2012, 15:33
Does botany honda do WOF's now? .I'm not surprised at the slack inspection,some bikes that they describe as "mint" have things like leaking fork seals, half dead batterys, badly stone peppered fairings, but hey they are just trying to make a buck

Bassmatt
28th March 2012, 15:41
I didn't see the list beforehand, but on their website it says 'For a small charge one of our mechanics will give the bike a full safety check and engine inspection.'
That, to me, sounds like more than a wof check.

From the list posted it doesnt appear they did much of an engine inspection. Unless thats what checking the oil level means.

Geeen
28th March 2012, 18:17

All for $60.

Isn't this all stuff you check yourself when looking at a bike to buy? Frame check would have been for cracks in the welds or other places I'd think. I think a pre purchase inspection should be a bit more comprehensive than a walk around check,

sil3nt
28th March 2012, 19:33
Well they did exactly what they said and found quite a lot that I missed. I was happy.

flyingcrocodile46
28th March 2012, 20:56

That and a whole lot more. Though I'm sure that those who haven't connected with bikes enough to want to learn about them still feel they have their self respect, and right or wrong as long as they think they do, they do.
Shame on you for inferring otherwise. :p

imdying
30th March 2012, 10:25
It sounds like you didn't actually ask for a list of what they would do in a check?This... if you want to know, you have to ask. You wouldn't buy a TV without finding out what you were getting for your money.

nodrog
30th March 2012, 10:33
..... You wouldn't buy a TV without finding out what you were getting for your money.

I would if it was only $80.

imdying
30th March 2012, 10:59
I would if it was only $80.If you relied on its integrity to keep you alive, then perhaps you would have a different opinion.

nodrog
30th March 2012, 11:30
If you relied on its integrity to keep you alive, then perhaps you would have a different opinion.

If I miss 1 night of Home and Away I feel like dying, does that count?

imdying
30th March 2012, 12:10

Comedy gold :laugh:

Crasherfromwayback
30th March 2012, 12:40

How's the young chick with the big hooters!!??

nodrog
30th March 2012, 12:49
How's the young chick with the big hooters!!??

Which one?

Crasherfromwayback
30th March 2012, 13:04
Which one?

This one!

nodrog
30th March 2012, 13:10
This one!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]tits

shes abit upset, her man has been rooting her teacher.

Usarka
30th March 2012, 13:11
Who cares how she feels.

Is she still not fat, got big tits and putting out?

Bassmatt
30th March 2012, 13:16
Who cares how she feels.

Is she still not fat, got big tits and getting them out?

Fixed that for ya

Robert Taylor
31st March 2012, 08:58
Yep, my thinking too. Go to any bike with an anolog speedo/tacho and it's a tough call to tell if the backlit dash lights are working in daylight. And if the oil pressure wire was connected at the time with the sensor working how are they supposed to find a problem? Are the supposed to inspect every single wire/connector on the bike? Are you gonna pay for that? As above, lotsa side stand switches are bypassed, and depending on age of bike not even fitted, so not exactly a red card offence.

I agree, they picked up on the most important thing anyway. Of course being a motorcycle dealer is a license to print money and there should be severe retribution for even such small misdemeanours. Because they had the ultimate affront to miss a couple of illumination bulbs in broad daylight they should ( cynically ) give you free servicing for the next ten years.

zeocen
31st March 2012, 09:19
Bought three bikes from Botany Honda, two were second hand, traded in two also. Never had an issue, ever.

Just thought I would give the thread some balance, since we're all guilty of speaking up when something's wrong but being quietly happy.

jellywrestler
31st March 2012, 09:54
Checking dashlights in the daytime? what are you on, they're designed to provide you information day or night and only in the brightest sunshime some aren't easy to read.
Besides, it would've been done in a workshop and most mechanics have two hands enabling them to use one to shadow the dash while the other one 'activates' the lights etc.

nzspokes
31st March 2012, 12:00
I agree, they picked up on the most important thing anyway. Of course being a motorcycle dealer is a license to print money and there should be severe retribution for even such small misdemeanours. Because they had the ultimate affront to miss a couple of illumination bulbs in broad daylight they should ( cynically ) give you free servicing for the next ten years.

They were paid to do an inspection and a number of items were missed. Obvious items. Price is not the issue. Work quality is.

And I bet they dont open Sundays. :jerry:

Robert Taylor
31st March 2012, 14:59
They were paid to do an inspection and a number of items were missed. Obvious items. Price is not the issue. Work quality is.

And I bet they dont open Sundays. :jerry:

That is so but nonetheless a mountain has been made out of a molehill. The grievance industry is alive and thriving in NZ and that general attitude seems to have permeated through as an attitude with business dealings. The ''compensation'' suggested is quite out of proportion .

nzspokes
31st March 2012, 17:09
That is so but nonetheless a mountain has been made out of a molehill. The grievance industry is alive and thriving in NZ and that general attitude seems to have permeated through as an attitude with business dealings. The ''compensation'' suggested is quite out of proportion .

So you laugh at consumers that raise concerns with your business?

I would guess not.

flyingcrocodile46
31st March 2012, 17:54

I would guess not.

That only occured as a result of the op telling them a funny joke about them picking up his bike or sending a mechanic to wherever the bike is. Better to laugh than to say 'fuck off noddy'.

Woodman
31st March 2012, 17:54

I would guess not.

The op wanted them to fix the problems, and that is OTT. They didn't cause the problems.

stupid thread.

onearmedbandit
31st March 2012, 19:22

While I agree the OP has no claim to compensation, I do believe that they should have picked up on the bulbs being out and faulty sidestand switch. For $120 you can get a comprehensive inspection completed on a car, everything from compressions, drive performance, accessory operation, general body condition right down to dash lights. From what the OP claims
"they said that the $80 pre purchase inspection is essentially a warrant of fitness check, and that they didn't check whether basic safety precautions were in place'...well that in my opinion is a complete rip. If you think otherwise, explain to me how a WOF level inspection without an actual warrant issued should cost $80.

bsasuper
31st March 2012, 19:34
Its my understanding they dont WOF's, so why are they saying its a WOF check?.I would expect a checklist with a long list of items they check, that way they can show you what they will check, and you can decide to go ahead with it or not.None of this I'll give it a once over where things are always missed. Slackness is a growing problem in this country, poor customer service is first class here.I was in japan a few weeks ago where I was gobsmacked at the extremely high levels of customer service.

nzspokes
31st March 2012, 19:35
While I agree the OP has no claim to compensation, I do believe that they should have picked up on the bulbs being out and faulty sidestand switch. For $120 you can get a comprehensive inspection completed on a car, everything from compressions, drive performance, accessory operation, general body condition right down to dash lights. From what the OP claims ...well that in my opinion is a complete rip. If you think otherwise, explain to me how a WOF level inspection without an actual warrant issued should cost $80.

Agreed. I also agree his claim to compensation is over the top. At the very least an apology is in order and maybe a refund of the inspection fee.

onearmedbandit
31st March 2012, 19:59
Its my understanding they dont WOF's, so why are they saying its a WOF check?.I would expect a checklist with a long list of items they check, that way they can show you what they will check, and you can decide to go ahead with it or not.None of this I'll give it a once over where things are always missed. Slackness is a growing problem in this country, poor customer service is first class here.I was in japan a few weeks ago where I was gobsmacked at the extremely high levels of customer service.

Oh yes, Kiwi's have a lot to learn from the Japanese when it comes to customer service. Never once in Japan did I encounter a situation where a sales person did not seem interested and courteous. Not once. Regardless of where I went.

Fast Eddie
31st March 2012, 20:52
I love the japs, they are a hoot.

jasonu
1st April 2012, 04:27
From what the OP claims ...well that in my opinion is a complete rip. If you think otherwise, explain to me how a WOF level inspection without an actual warrant issued should cost $80.

Agreed. If that is in fact the case then why wouldn't you just take it to someone that issues wof's and pay for the wof to be done?

Robert Taylor
1st April 2012, 09:34

I would guess not.

Certainly not, we would amicably sort it out and without recourse to ''compensation'' that is plainly ridiculous. Which is a course of action better than whinging to all and sundry on a public forum.
I am sure the complainant would be none too happy with a thread about him, stating ''do not employ this guy on any account''.
Botany Honda are in fact a very good dealership, so they slipped up on this ( but there are 2 sides to every story as well ) That they be so viciously maligned about it with assertions that compensation be very generous is manifestly unfair.

nzspokes
1st April 2012, 17:17
Certainly not, we would amicably sort it out and without recourse to ''compensation'' that is plainly ridiculous. Which is a course of action better than whinging to all and sundry on a public forum.
I am sure the complainant would be none too happy with a thread about him, stating ''do not employ this guy on any account''.
Botany Honda are in fact a very good dealership, so they slipped up on this ( but there are 2 sides to every story as well ) That they be so viciously maligned about it with assertions that compensation be very generous is manifestly unfair.

For once we agree. Ive had good dealings with them. In this case as I stated and apology probably would have gone along way. Every business makes mistakes, its how you deal with them.

Zapf
2nd April 2012, 18:11
For once we agree. Ive had good dealings with them.

+1 I have had VERY good dealings over the last 5 years with them.

No one is perfect. However they do try harder than most bike shops. Give them another chance.

At lease the items they missed are not life threatening.

Zapf
4th April 2012, 15:56
I went to Botany Honda to get a pre purchase inspection on a bike that I ended up buying. I went there because that was the closest bike shop to the guy who was selling the bike.
They pointed out that the steering head bearings needed to be replaced.
What they didn't point out however was that the speedo and tacho lights don't work (a big deal for me since it is my only vehicle and will need to be used at night), the oil pressure switch wire was corroded and subsequently came off and the kick stand engine cutoff thingo was broken. Now I know these aren't a bit deal to fix, but surely they should have told me about them.
I called them yesterday to ask what the story was and they said that the $80 pre purchase inspection is essentially a warrant of fitness check, and that they didn't check whether basic safety precautions were in place. Is this standard, that they charge 3 times a WOF check for a WOF check or are Botany Honda ripping off unsuspecting people?
I called them about the problems and they laughed when I asked them to come fix the problem because I don't have time to go all the way back there, and again when I suggested they pick up the bike (from the Shore) and give me a loan bike.

So basically the point of this post is to say that I would not recommend Botany Honda for a pre purchase inspection. This is the only dealing I have had with them, but if given a choice I would much rather go to Cycletreads who I have had much experience with and they have been nothing but helpful.

I gave Botany Honda fair course to sort out the problem but the just didn't seem interested.

I was passing by Botany Honda and thought I will ask them whats the deal with this. Here it is.

Botany Honda has offered you to bring the bike back to them and they will sort out the instrument lights and also side stand switch.

Have you been in contact with them to arrange for the work?

Mully
4th April 2012, 18:47
Botany Honda has offered you to bring the bike back to them and they will sort out the instrument lights and also side stand switch.

Actually, he didn't say they wouldn't fix it - he said they laughed when he asked them to come and fix the problem, or pick the bike up from the Shore.

Zapf
4th April 2012, 20:40
Actually, he didn't say they wouldn't fix it - he said they laughed when he asked them to come and fix the problem, or pick the bike up from the Shore.

I suggest you get in touch with them then. The person I spoke to was Danny.

Arrange a time and they maybe able to fix it on the spot.

however if you want them to travel from East Auckland to the Shore it maybe a bit much to ask. Remembering they were paid to inspect, not fix the bike to start with. They are going out of their way I think.

Mully
5th April 2012, 18:24
I suggest you get in touch with them then. The person I spoke to was Danny.

Why would *I* get in touch with them? I give less than a rat's arse.

Latte
5th April 2012, 18:35

Never know, they might give you a bike so they can then repair it for you. Won't know till you try :-)

meteor
5th April 2012, 20:00

So if you give less than a rats arse about it, why did you come on here and bemoan an otherwise respected and reputable well liked bike shop? I've bought bikes from them, sold bikes to and through them, bought gear and consumables regularly, had heaps of work done from valve checks to a full engine rebuild. Like anyone or any business they may get things a bit wrong on occasion but I rate them, the workshop guys especially are great.

Possibly a 'negotiation' may have had a better result than a list of demands and you might have come away with a different view of them... much like most other people have.

Madness
5th April 2012, 20:05
I suggest you get in touch with them then. The person I spoke to was Danny. Arrange a time and they maybe able to fix it on the spot. However if you want them to travel from East Auckland to the Shore it maybe a bit much to ask. Remembering they were paid to inspect, not fix the bike to start with. They are going out of their way I think.

So if you give less than a rats arse about it, why did you come on here and bemoan an otherwise respected and reputable well liked bike shop? I've bought bikes from them, sold bikes to and through them, bought gear and consumables regularly, had heaps of work done from valve checks to a full engine rebuild. Like anyone or any business they may get things a bit wrong on occasion but I rate them, the workshop guys especially are great.

Possibly a 'negotiation' may have had a better result than a list of demands and you might have come away with a different view of them... much like most other people have.

If you cunts paid attention you'd realise that Mully is not the starter of this thread and his bike isn't in need of repair because he doesn't have one currently (to my knowledge). Wake up :wacko:

sil3nt
5th April 2012, 20:59
Haha what a bunch of retards.

Latte
5th April 2012, 21:02
shurrup oww

flyingcrocodile46
5th April 2012, 22:53
:facepalm: OMG Zapf and meteor :gob: :lol: :killingme :rofl: How embarrassing

meteor
6th April 2012, 20:04
:facepalm: OMG Zapf and meteor :gob: :lol: :killingme :rofl: How embarrassing

woops :facepalm: you're right. Sorry Mully. I stand corrected no offence intended.

Mully
6th April 2012, 22:25
If you cunts paid attention you'd realise that Mully is not the starter of this thread and his bike isn't in need of repair because he doesn't have one currently (to my knowledge). Wake up :wacko:

Chur for that. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Not quite sure *how* that happened, but gave me a good laugh.

short-circuit
7th April 2012, 07:01
:facepalm: What an absolute pair of tits

meteor
7th April 2012, 07:09
:facepalm: What an absolute pair of tits

Yeah yeah yeah, rub it in!