PDA

View Full Version : Wire help please

Maha
28th March 2012, 16:59
Recently I removed the battery from Annes bike to charge it ....put it back the following day.
She went to turn the Hot Grips on yesterday and they didn't work (they were working before I touched it:blink:)
I remember a loose wire when I put the Battery back in but thought nothing of it because I didn't remember taking it off anything.

Here's a pic of the wire terminal, any idea what it connects to?..we just tried the Pos Terminal on the battery but...no.

DrunkenMistake
28th March 2012, 17:14
Earth or negative?

turn on the grips and place it on the lights of an exposed bolt head so it earths, if the grips turn on then there is your answer haha

mossy1200
28th March 2012, 17:23
Safer to get a multi meter and test when grips are on and bike running if it has 12volts from it disconnected to a bare bolt on chasis or the negative on battery.If it does then turn grips off and retest.If its the grips ground wire the 12volts will disappear.Its most likely a ground/negative/earth wire with that large crimp on it and aftermarket from the oem wiring.

FJRider
28th March 2012, 18:01
I would guess an earth ... but not the negative battery terminal.

Hot grips are only for girls ... oh wait ... :whistle:

mossy1200
28th March 2012, 18:08
I would guess an earth ... but not the negative battery terminal.

Hot grips are only for girls ... oh wait ... :whistle:

The earth(chasis) is at the same potential as the negative terminal on the battery as long as the battery is grounded to the chasis.Its not the main earth/ground wire but it may well have been coupled up with it on the battery.

steve_t
28th March 2012, 18:10
As said, it's an earth or negative wire :yes:

spanner spinner
28th March 2012, 18:12
it's a earth wire connect it to the negative battery terminal. the oxford hotgrips have a red heatshrink on the positive wire, if you want to double check trace the wire back to the control box it should meet it's positive mate before it gets to the control box visable in the photo.

nodrog
28th March 2012, 18:43
Its a fuse, just fuckin light it, instant hot grips!

Maha
29th March 2012, 06:29
Yes, Earth wire it is...its now connected to the bike frame...works!
All I needed to do was to complete the circuit :shifty:

Would it be better to have connected to the negative battery terminal?

Edit: Bike didn't catch fire this morning so must be ok.

DrunkenMistake
29th March 2012, 16:45
Yes, Earth wire it is...its now connected to the bike frame...works!
All I needed to do was to complete the circuit :shifty:

Would it be better to have connected to the negative battery terminal?

Edit: Bike didn't catch fire this morning so must be ok.

I wouldnt think it will make a difference, The battery should be connected to the frame via the negative terminal thus Earthing the battery, so anything connected to the frame should act the same as attaching it to the battery terminal, well thats my understanding, im sure you probably lose the likes of 0.00001v or something retarded by doing it via the frame but its not missed haha

spanner spinner
29th March 2012, 20:48
leave it connected to the frame as it will not cause any problem as per the previous reply, and as it is no longer connected to the battery terminal it will no longer be a problem in the future. Connected to the frame is how most of the manufactures do all the earthing for the wiring system on most bikes, so it must work OK.