PDA

View Full Version : Kuryakyn ISO front pegs - review

iYRe
30th March 2012, 12:02
I recently got a pair of these second hand (thanks thirteenmag and trademe :P).
I am not sure what bike they came off, but they came with male ends, and female adapters were also sold so I grabbed them (turns out I didnt need them).

The VL800 Intruder Volusia I have, has what looks like after market front pegs anyway, in a spring loaded mount held in with a pin and circlip.
Installation was as simple as pulling the pin and installing the new peg, and reclipping. The spring mechanism "sort of" works, but I need to have a fiddle with it and modify the mount a fraction to make it hunky dory.
The whole thing took about 10 minutes to do both sides, and away we went.

The first thing to notice is that while the pegs are larger in diameter, they are the same length as the old ones. The relationship between the boot and the controls on either side is a little different, but not so much that I had to consciously think about it. So that's all good. The larger diameter (about 50mm as opposed to about 20mm across) seems quite nice to rest the foot.

The ISO peg has a series of rubber strips which are connected to or part of a rubber "core".
The idea is that the rubber absorbs vibration - very handy on a VL. The vibration through the old pegs was quite bad, to the point I would sometimes feel a bit numb in the foot (I have circulation problems anyway). So, today was my first ride of any description, and am happy to report that there was very little vibration at all through the pegs.

The blurb from Kuryakyn says:

ISO-Pegs dampen vibrations plus give your scoot that custom look, all at the same time. The industry’s most comfortable footpegs feature hollow-core, long-lasting neoprene rubber inserts which are isolastically mounted. They have a soft, cushiony feel. t the same time. The industry’s most comfortable footpegs feature hollow-core, long-lasting neoprene rubber inserts which are isolastically mounted. They have a soft, cushiony feel.

Anyway, they feel good and I have no problem recommending them.

Sable
31st March 2012, 05:58
Footpegs with rubber bits? How novel.

iYRe
31st March 2012, 06:50
not novel, but I was really surprised at how much vibration they remove.. really can not feel anything much at all