PDA

View Full Version : Bad rep for Hyosung

bc.worldlive
30th March 2012, 15:52
There are some people out there that really hate on hyosung as a brand, i ride a GT250R and love it!!

It was about 9 moths ago now, that I bought my first road bike.
I am remembering back to when i was looking on trademe for the perfect fit, with a budget of $2400 max, i was looking for a sport stlye bike, that looked sexy, sounded cool, was wof'd and reg'd and most importantly was 250cc.

I was looking for about 3 months, trips to auckland to check out bikes, finding out common problems with each, it soon become clear to me that although a 1990 CBR looked cool, for less than $2400 i wasnt going to get alot of joy, so i decided to save some more penny's and boost my budget up to a whopping $3000 !! WHOA i know!

i don't know if you've ever search on trademe for a 250cc sport bike for less than 3 grand, but your options a pretty limited to RGV, CBR, or maybe an 89 NSR that'd been turned into a racer. i was beginning to feel, maybe i should'nt buy a bike, i just don't have the money, and there's really nothing that i like for the money i want to spend.

until one day i saw a 2007 Hyosung GT250R for sale, for $3700, wow it looked sexy! it was everything i'd been looking for.

it looked sexy
it was relatively new
250cc
sounds nice
not too big, not too small
and was around my price range

so my hunt was on to find a hyosung GT250R that i could afford, it didnt take long at all to find a south african dude on the north shore(haha no shit) who was upgrading to a CBR600rr, so that was it, me and my brother went to check it out, and sold! i got my first road bike which i still have,
i ride it every day with no issues,(although i replaced the speedometer not long after i got it). i'm so glad to have found this bike, i look on trademe every now and then and i feel stoked, coz i know i made the right choice in choosing my bike, it's reliable, looks nice and can go fast when i want it to.

my point is, my hyosung has been so nice to learn to ride the road with, she has nice acceleration and mid range power, very agile, reliable and i would'nt go back if i had the chance. you look on trademe right now, for a 250 for less than 3 grand and see what you can find.

I Heart Hyobags!!
Cheers, BoDean

Sable
30th March 2012, 15:53
You're obviously an expert with lots of experience on the subject.

bogan
30th March 2012, 15:56
my point is, my hyosung has been so nice to learn to ride the road with, she has nice acceleration and mid range power, very agile, reliable and i would'nt go back if i had the chance. you look on trademe right now, for a 250 for less than 3 grand and see what you can find.

My 84 VT250 had all those attributes, and held its own against a hyosung in a straight line, my mates 88 VT250 beat us both. Mine was 2,100, his was 2k even I think. Thats why hyobags get a bad rep, they are 25 years behind the curve :bleh:

mossy1200
30th March 2012, 16:00
some people out there that really hate on hyosung as a brand

?????????????????

I think your just being paranoid.
You clearly not ready to come out of the closet and buy a honda yet.

Tigadee
30th March 2012, 16:06
you look on trademe right now, for a 250 for less than 3 grand and see what you can find.

That'll change come October when/if LAMS comes into effect... :blip:

DrunkenMistake
30th March 2012, 16:13
Im DrunkenMistake and I own a Hyosung....
(This is like AA)
I brought my bike with 7,000km on the clock, and now its up to about 13,000 I owned it for about 3 weeks and in that time I had changed the end can to a really sexy MTC twin port race can, on the fourth week the R/R blew and the Stator was cooked, so about $700 later I have a R1 Mosfet r/r and an Ex250 stator and a new Motobatt battery in the bike, Nothing major, I knew it was going to happen eventually.

A few weeks after that, I cleaned the front brake callipers as I had piss all pressure and thought they may have been sticking, no go turns out the Master cylinder had actually failed and was corroded to shit, Replaced that with an SV1000 Master cylinder (as I wanted a remote reservoir M/C because I think they just look nicer, Personal preference) got that all sorted and done, so that was another $110 or something along these lines, all good!

Other than those things I have had a very pleasant experience with my Hyo, but I certainly wouldnt buy another one, maybe if they do a GT1000R I could be swayed,
But as it stands, the Carbed 650r, is heavy, clumsy, turns like a Hippo at slow speed, but boy when you wanna tap that potential of V twin Torque, boy does she deliver.
Some now may say "Then why did you buy it in the first place if you never really liked them?", I got cheeky and brought this bike for about a grand less than the asking price, My old VFR 400 NC30 was stolen and written off so the insurance pay out went towards a newer bike, I had decided to just go to 600cc and enjoy a long term bike that has everything I need, Failing to find one that was tidy and not a long term running project for a good price it was suggested I buy a Hyo 650, done alot of research and some looking into and what have you and overall the responses were actually positive, and to go from a 1991 400cc bike to a 2008 650cc bike is a pretty good upgrade in itself.

If I could change something about the bike though it would be the wheelbase to start with, its a really long bike, probably ideal for taller people im sure but when you a 5'5 stump everything is out of reach.

There ya go, my short and utterly useless review of my Hyosung.

bc.worldlive
30th March 2012, 16:24
thankyou for not being a cunt

Zedder
30th March 2012, 16:27
Mate, don't take it to heart. This is KB, stuff like this happens here just get out and ride.

DrunkenMistake
30th March 2012, 16:33

Its a great bike if you ride on a budget,
its good for commuting and its good for a nice blip over your fav twisties,
its easy on gas and easy on oil, it is high maintainable I.E you have to make sure you clean it alot and silicon spray the frame etc just to prevent any rust in the already rust prone steal frame.

speights_bud
30th March 2012, 16:34
I'm guess this is in response to the comments made in THIS (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/148274-Suicidal-flatmate-and-the-CBR1000-Fireblade) Thread about your Hyobag?

You get what you pay for, like buying a Chinese assembled GN Vs the Jap ones. They look all shiny and cool, but seriously when you ride something of decent quality of the same age you'll understand. If you compare the Suzuki 650 and the Hyosung 650 it's pretty obvious which is the better quality machine. i mean c'mon the Hyosung has a STEEL rear subframe that's WELDED to the main Frame??

Interesting review here:
http://www.soundrider.com/archive/bikes/hyosung_gt650r.htm

Notice the UPSIDES listed are: Ergonomics, Transmission, and Styling and the DOWNSIDES are: Brakes, Electronics, Weight.

I dunno whats important to you but i like brakes and electrics that work...

FJRider
30th March 2012, 16:38
That'll change come October when/if LAMS comes into effect... :blip:

Probably not ... they will most likely still be the cheapest 250 (new) on the market. Any on Trademe with about 10,000 km's will have had most of any (major) issues Hyo's have ... sorted. (apart from still being a Hyo)

ducatilover
30th March 2012, 16:55
I'll bite.
The design of them is not original, you'll find styling cues from millions of other bikes.
They're just a beige commuter with cheap USD forks.
Nothing really wrong with 'em and not much right. Just a bike, no big deal.

They don't do anything that my old '89 VT250 Spada could do, they handle worse, stop worse are sloer and I found less comfy.

Drunkenmistake has a Hyo, that says it all :bleh:

tigertim20
30th March 2012, 17:03
(This is like AA)

you forgot a couple things, like the recent constant blowing of the fuse for your lights for apparently no reason, and the oil spewing out of/into places is shouldnt, again with no apparent reason.

haha, mate, hyosungs are a budget bike, while a number of people buy hyosungs and never regret owning them, the fact remains that they are cheaper for a reason, and they tend to have issues more often than a comparable bike - but thats the price you pay for having a budget bike. if you're happy, then who gives a fuck what others think.

One day youll look back and laugh at yourself for thinking the 250 had 'power' - we have all been there, done the learning, the main thing is that you are actually out there on the bike, doing the kms, and enjoying the experience.

speights_bud
30th March 2012, 17:15
One day youll look back and laugh at yourself for thinking the 250 had 'power' - we have all been there, done the learning, the main thing is that you are actually out there on the bike, doing the kms, and enjoying the experience.

Yep been there, i started on an '87 GPX (Ninja) 250, it was waay better than my Gf at the times Hyo250. Even going back to the GPX after riding newer big bikes he 250 was terrible...

Fast Eddie
30th March 2012, 18:00
some dude rocked up to uni today on a GT650 Comet Hyo... the swing arm and frame looked like they came from the dark ages..

Any bikes better than no bike tho, enjoy the Hyo..

rustic101
30th March 2012, 18:00
I'm not a hyobag hater if fact I think they are a good cheap alternative to real bikes. My humble observations with them are they have:

a shit arse lock to lock steering which affects their low speed manoeuvrability, and
are not a well balance bike again affecting their low speed manoeuvrability

So the question is; are they a good bike for beginners, or just a good cheap entry level look a like bike to get into motorcycling.

Most folks can ride fast or look good on any bike when its going in a straight line. IMHO the real skill we gain and which allows us to be better riders is in our ability to manoeuvre at low speed; either through traffic or the roads we ride on.

30th March 2012, 18:07
(This is like AA)
I brought my bike with 7,000km on the clock, and now its up to about 13,000 I owned it for about 3 weeks and in that time I had changed the end can to a really sexy MTC twin port race can, on the fourth week the R/R blew and the Stator was cooked, so about $700 later I have a R1 Mosfet r/r and an Ex250 stator and a new Motobatt battery in the bike, Nothing major, I knew it was going to happen eventually.

A few weeks after that, I cleaned the front brake callipers as I had piss all pressure and thought they may have been sticking, no go turns out the Master cylinder had actually failed and was corroded to shit, Replaced that with an SV1000 Master cylinder (as I wanted a remote reservoir M/C because I think they just look nicer, Personal preference) got that all sorted and done, so that was another $110 or something along these lines, all good!

Other than those things I have had a very pleasant experience with my Hyo, but I certainly wouldnt buy another one, maybe if they do a GT1000R I could be swayed,
But as it stands, the Carbed 650r, is heavy, clumsy, turns like a Hippo at slow speed, but boy when you wanna tap that potential of V twin Torque, boy does she deliver.
Some now may say "Then why did you buy it in the first place if you never really liked them?", I got cheeky and brought this bike for about a grand less than the asking price, My old VFR 400 NC30 was stolen and written off so the insurance pay out went towards a newer bike, I had decided to just go to 600cc and enjoy a long term bike that has everything I need, Failing to find one that was tidy and not a long term running project for a good price it was suggested I buy a Hyo 650, done alot of research and some looking into and what have you and overall the responses were actually positive, and to go from a 1991 400cc bike to a 2008 650cc bike is a pretty good upgrade in itself.

If I could change something about the bike though it would be the wheelbase to start with, its a really long bike, probably ideal for taller people im sure but when you a 5'5 stump everything is out of reach.

:hug: :laugh:

DrunkenMistake
30th March 2012, 18:10
you forgot a couple things, like the recent constant blowing of the fuse for your lights for apparently no reason, and the oil spewing out of/into places is shouldnt, again with no apparent reason.

The fuse thing was my fault, I actually had two bare wires when I spliced the headlight wires, I hadnt taped them up when I thought I had <_<
and the oil coming out of the crank case breather hose into the mist catcher is suppose to do just that, except one of those hoses was off, which makes me think back to when you helped me take of the AIS, and put the airbox back in for me.. :shifty:

Both of those reasons were owner errors and not the actual bikes.

Nzpure
30th March 2012, 18:10
I had a hyobag, Loved it. Bought it with 2,800kms on the clock i payed roughly 2400 for i think. When i sold it it had about 15k on the clock and it was 13k kms of faultess riding. It was the only 250 that was a nice fit and would buy another cheap one for commuting.

My 2 cents worth.

Nzpure
30th March 2012, 18:11
I had a hyobag, Loved it. Bought it with 2,800kms on the clock i payed roughly 2400 for i think. When i sold it it had about 15k on the clock and it was 13k kms of faultess riding. It was the only 250 that was a nice fit and would buy another cheap one for commuting.

My 2 cents worth.

twas a gt250r btw lol

DrunkenMistake
30th March 2012, 18:22
I'm not a hyobag hater if fact I think they are a good cheap alternative to real bikes. My humble observations with them are they have:

a shit arse lock to lock steering which affects their low speed manoeuvrability, and
are not a well balance bike again affecting their low speed manoeuvrability

So the question is; are they a good bike for beginners, or just a good cheap entry level look a like bike to get into motorcycling.

Most folks can ride fast or look good on any bike when its going in a straight line. IMHO the real skill we gain and which allows us to be better riders is in our ability to manoeuvre at low speed; either through traffic or the roads we ride on.

I dont know if I what you are saying is really the case,
I ride the 650 Everyday in all weather, in all traffic, I ride like a fuck wit most of the time ill be honest, but I have had no issues with getting in and about traffic, I have avoided all sorts of shit from people pulling out infront of me, changing lane without indicating etc all the way to people throwing their McDonald's happy meal box out the window,
I wouldnt say im a good rider, thats up to someone else to judge me on but I get that bike around the twisties at a steady pace and the weight actually makes it smoother on the sweepers, Ill split through slow moving traffic on our shitty Dunedin roads and all sorts, the only thing I have EVER had a problem with is doing a Uturn on a standard size street, due to the horrible turning circle, it just means I have to pull over to the otherside rather than carry on going.

sil3nt
30th March 2012, 18:27
All the Hyosung riders I have ridden with have done nothing but talk about how good their bikes are when we stop for lunch/rest/whatever. It's almost like they have to justify their purchase by telling everyone how good it is.

speights_bud
30th March 2012, 18:32

My 2 cents worth.

Not too bad i guess, bought my first bike (the before mentioned '87 GPX250) at 32,000km's, 18months later it was at 83,000kms when it spontaneously shit the bottom end, over those k's it never missed a beat, but one gear change the wrong way and boom. (changed back from race pattern).
Threw a 2nd hand bottom end in it for a box of bourbon and sold it or twice what i paid for it ($800), new owner did over 20,000k's on it and i have no idea what its doing now, he got his $1600 bucks worth for sure, that's good build Quality for ya.

rustic101
30th March 2012, 18:37
I ride the 650 Everyday in all weather, in all traffic, I ride like a fuck wit most of the time ill be honest, but I have had no issues with getting in and about traffic, I have avoided all sorts of shit from people pulling out infront of me, changing lane without indicating etc all the way to people throwing their McDonald's happy meal box out the window,
I wouldnt say im a good rider, thats up to someone else to judge me on but I get that bike around the twisties at a steady pace and the weight actually makes it smoother on the sweepers, Ill split through slow moving traffic on our shitty Dunedin roads and all sorts, the only thing I have EVER had a problem with is doing a Uturn on a standard size street, due to the horrible turning circle, it just means I have to pull over to the otherside rather than carry on going.

I think you may have said in an earlier post they they handle like a brick at low speed, or words to that effect.

Again to be honest my only experience with them is handling them at professionally run gymkhanas. Try turning them in a tight box or figure eight etc

All power to you though and your skills ;)

DrunkenMistake
30th March 2012, 18:40
I think you may have said in an earlier post they they handle like a brick at low speed, or words to that effect.

Again to be honest my only experience with them is handling them at professionally run gymkhanas. Try turning them in a tight box or figure eight etc

All power to you though and your skills ;)

Haha,
get your hands on one and got for a lengthy ride, they are a really nice bike once your used to it, just dont ride a scorpio for two hours to sit your license then get back on the Hyo... you will damn near drop the thing because of the weight alone

rustic101
30th March 2012, 18:44
Haha,
get your hands on one and got for a lengthy ride, they are a really nice bike once your used to it, just dont ride a scorpio for two hours to sit your license then get back on the Hyo... you will damn near drop the thing because of the weight alone

I think I'd be disappointed after riding the GSX:woohoo: I like the torque too much :Punk:

Nzpure
30th March 2012, 18:52
All the Hyosung riders I have ridden with have done nothing but talk about how good their bikes are when we stop for lunch/rest/whatever. It's almost like they have to justify their purchase by telling everyone how good it is.

?? Everyone goes on about how good there bikes are don't they?

tigertim20
30th March 2012, 20:20
yes it is. last time I rode your bike, I hardly had enough room to do a u-turn at a T intersection, using the intersecting road to make a wide turning circle. The weight it awkward and cumbersome at low speed.
You dont notice it because you ride it every day and its 'normal' to you. the same way i dont realise the yammy is a bit of a pain through town, because its 'normal' to me.
they are a cunt at LOW speeds. once moving they are ok, a little heavy still, but quite stable feeling

The fuse thing was my fault,.
Dont try backing out now buddy! YOU bought the Lowslung, YOU live with it!!!!!!

;)
yes he did

rossirep
30th March 2012, 22:40
hahaha, they are shit and everybody knows it..

ducatilover
30th March 2012, 23:25
Haha,
Remember bro, the 250 and 650 are not the same bike. The chassis, suspension and motor share nothing in common, the 650 has a far better chassis (and even then...) and obviously the motor is a nice unit.
The 250 is a "sporty" looking commuter and nothing less, just like the new EX250 Ninja, well, all the 250cc Nija things except the GPX with the twin front brake, IMHO that's the only twin Kawasaki 4T that could be considered a 4T 250 sport bike.

The Hyo 250 is so far behind in terms of refinement and performance it's a joke.

nodrog
31st March 2012, 06:49

Hyosung Riders - the Jehovah's Witnesses of the bike world.

nzspokes
31st March 2012, 07:10

Like people with Iphones.

bogan
31st March 2012, 08:44
Like people with Iphones.

No, people with iphones are often seen engrosed in that 'crazy vultures' game or whatever it is. Pretty annoying if you're trying to make conversation with them; mind you, maybe its not such a great loss?

People with hyosungs are just overjoyed that they actually made it to the rest/lunch stop without major mishap, the relief just bubbles out as hyobag praise :yes:

Fast Eddie
31st March 2012, 10:39
Haha,
get your hands on one and got for a lengthy ride, they are a really nice bike once your used to it

lol.. ok - gimme ur bike for a spin bro and see how it compares to an old grey honda or a worn out italian 2 stroker..

DrunkenMistake
31st March 2012, 15:40
Remember bro, the 250 and 650 are not the same bike. ..

The Hyo 250 is so far behind in terms of refinement and performance it's a joke.

This is true, I took the thread as more Hyoshitsung in general

lol.. ok - gimme ur bike for a spin bro and see how it compares to an old grey honda or a worn out italian 2 stroker..
Tell ya what, get your misses around here with her tits out, and I will consider giving you the key to my bike..:innocent:

Fast Eddie
31st March 2012, 16:09
Tell ya what, get your misses around here with her tits out, and I will consider giving you the key to my bike..:innocent:

haha, can't blame ya for trying. sweet titties n ass.

Think I'll just get her to do an hour or two at stilettos and she should have enough coin to buy me a brand new 650 hyo.. they can't be more than what, 100/200 bucks mexican currency?

DrunkenMistake
31st March 2012, 16:12

Think I'll just get her to do an hour or two at stilettos and she should have enough coin to buy me a brand new 650 hyo.. they can't be more than what, 100/200 bucks mexican currency?

You mean.. Pesos? :innocent:

I got a good one for this,
You can't polish a turd, but you CAN roll it in glitter.

tigertim20
31st March 2012, 16:20

hmm, so she's worth 200 pesos for a couple hours?
let me google that. . .
well shit, if its only gonna cost me $19.06 NZ, Ill take her for the night, can you have her here by 7pm?

Fast Eddie
31st March 2012, 16:31
You mean.. Pesos? [/B]

oh I'm impressed! I refrained from saying Pesos incase you asked what they were..

Fast Eddie
31st March 2012, 16:33
hmm, so she's worth 200 pesos for a couple hours?
let me google that. . .
well shit, if its only gonna cost me $19.06 NZ, Ill take her for the night, can you have her here by 7pm?

lol you jumped ahead of yourself ;) I recon a hyosung is only worth a couple of pesos, But didn't say the mrs was gonna get paid in pesos.. we're in new zealand god damn it, greatest country on the planet.

spanner spinner
31st March 2012, 18:58
I use to spanner for a dealership that did hyosung and for a learner bike i would rather have a nearly new low k hyosung that some 20 year old flogged to shit not maintained jap can't get parts for it anymore 250/4 (insert japanese manufactures name here). The build quality apart from some paint issues is as good as most jap stuff, the engine cases and internal engine parts on your jap bike are most likely made by the same company that made the hyosung parts. As for electrical problems try owning a suzuki if you like fixing electrical problems, and not one of the jap manufactures make a relable charging system. They all seem to be able to last the warranty period but not much more, which is why my bikes wear a voltmeter so i know when the reg/rec is throwing in the towel.

Fast Eddie
31st March 2012, 19:08
As for electrical problems try owning a suzuki if you like fixing electrical problems, and not one of the jap manufactures make a relable charging system

here here, suzuki GN250 sitting in garage with charging system/electrical faults and expensive ass replacement costs from suzuki dealer.

and honda fireblade was not long ago in the garage cold and alone with fried wiring and burnt out reg/rec faulty charging system..

hate to think what the italian Aprilia has in store for me..

nzspokes
31st March 2012, 19:09
I dont think the Hyos are that bad. But ergonomics on them is an issue. Big bike but with squat leg area.

pritch
31st March 2012, 22:29
Just as it's impossible to be a hacker if you haven't got a computer, you can't be a motorcyclist if you haven't got a bike.

I've seen favourable tests of Hyosungs and I'd rather have one of those than one of the Chinese brands I never heard of...

DODO``
31st March 2012, 23:05
?? Everyone goes on about how good there bikes are don't they?

I had one gt250r for a wee while, I liked it was good. didn't yap anything about how good of a bike it was to anyone really.. the bike is... just the bike, really..

Didn't know Hyosungs rep was this bad! haha glad im grown out of it..

Muppet
1st April 2012, 08:40
Hyosungs look awful, the name makes them sound like a brand of lawnmower and if they're cheap what is that telling you?

mossy1200
1st April 2012, 09:54
Almost owning a bike is good enough for us.Dont let your Hyosung get you down so much.

ducatilover
1st April 2012, 10:12
I use to spanner for a dealership that did hyosung and for a learner bike i would rather have a nearly new low k hyosung that some 20 year old flogged to shit not maintained jap can't get parts for it anymore 250/4 (insert japanese manufactures name here). The build quality apart from some paint issues is as good as most jap stuff, the engine cases and internal engine parts on your jap bike are most likely made by the same company that made the hyosung parts. As for electrical problems try owning a suzuki if you like fixing electrical problems, and not one of the jap manufactures make a relable charging system. They all seem to be able to last the warranty period but not much more, which is why my bikes wear a voltmeter so i know when the reg/rec is throwing in the towel.

I've never had prolems sourcing parts for CBR and ZXR 250s, parts are cheap on 'em too.

Have to agree with the 'zuki electrics especially the later (chinese assembled) GNs

I don't see why people go on about them, they're a marginally average bike for a reasonable price.
They're heavy and very simple, they weigh more than my 20 year old 600 for goodness sake and my 600 isn't exactly a feather.
They lack in power, you could have a GPX with 40hp and more torque, with better ratios and less weight for less money.

They are not good, they're marginally average.
How many times does it have to be explained...next someone will try say Harleys/Dukes are good :bleh:

mossy1200
1st April 2012, 10:18
Harleys/Dukes are good

Idd own a Road King or a 1199 or both if my wife would take a second job

ducatilover
1st April 2012, 10:24
Harleys/Dukes are good

Oh you did go there.
Obviously I kind of sort of like Dukes...but the majority are not as good as what the Japs offer and the same goes for a Hardley.
They do however have brand/wank appeal, old technology (mostly) and the best looks in their classes. :niceone: Which is what works for me.
The Hyo doesn't even have any of those to make up for its lack of anything good

mossy1200
1st April 2012, 10:33
Oh you did go there.
Obviously I kind of sort of like Dukes...but the majority are not as good as what the Japs offer and the same goes for a Hardley.
They do however have brand/wank appeal, old technology (mostly) and the best looks in their classes. :niceone: Which is what works for me.
The Hyo doesn't even have any of those to make up for its lack of anything good

Admit it you would own the new 1199 ducati.It would prob give plenty jap bike a scare in the twisties

ducatilover
1st April 2012, 11:04
Admit it you would own the new 1199 ducati.It would prob give plenty jap bike a scare in the twisties

Note I said most are not as good as the Jap offerings :shifty: There aren't many Dukes I'd not buy (any Monster, Elephant and the Multistrada series, I like the majority of Dukes)
One comparison would be a 900ss, similar $ to a nice VTR or TL these days and not as good a bike (I love 'em to bits though, as unimpressive as they are)
An 1199 would do the job :D

Muppet
1st April 2012, 17:13
Harleys/Dukes are good

You obviously don't own either of them, if you did your wife would have to go on the game to pay for the servicing and inevitable repairs. And that's just on the hog, she'd have to sell a kidney to pay for the $1000 a service for the duke!

mossy1200
1st April 2012, 17:22
You obviously don't own either of them, if you did your wife would have to go on the game to pay for the servicing and inevitable repairs. And that's just on the hog, she'd have to sell a kidney to pay for the $1000 a service for the duke!

I told her before we got married she would need to make sacrifices to play on team Mossy but shes let me down a bit lately.

The Everlasting
2nd April 2012, 16:59
Well I agree that they sound nice with a aftermarket can.

avgas
2nd April 2012, 17:06
My 84 VT250 had all those attributes, and held its own against a hyosung in a straight line, my mates 88 VT250 beat us both. Mine was 2,100, his was 2k even I think. Thats why hyobags get a bad rep, they are 25 years behind the curve :bleh:
Are you both still life partners now or did you get married?

baffa
2nd April 2012, 17:50
We all have bias and rose tinted glasses. Most people love their first bike, regardless of how good it actually was.
Look how many people rep GNs for example.
I loved my VTR250, but Im sure plenty of people would knock them.
Ive ridden a few GT250Rs, and they do feel cheap, but they are a tidy bike that do the job they are built for well.
But if anyone thinks they make good power or sound good, then they are seriously deluded.

tbs
2nd April 2012, 18:16
Hyosung might get a bit of respect if they actually made something good. And by good I mean anything above entry level. I bought a Ninja 250r to learn on. It was pretty good for what it was, but it had plenty of shortcomings and I was happy to point them out. The thing is, Kawasaki also make the ZX6r and the Zx10r. The baby Ninja doesn't have to justify itself. It just basks in the the reflected glory of these really good sport bikes. Same with the new CBR and I think Yamaha have a new 150 that looks like an R6. Hyosung might not be hated on so much if they bothered to create something genuinely aspirational. But I suspect they never will... and to be fair, even if they did it would no doubt take a long time to break the brand perception they have created for themselves, of being a bit crap. So, Hyosung owners will always feel the need to justify their bike based on whatever merits they perceive it to have.

A quick note on perception of quality. I sell and repair watches. Frequently I get cheap crappy imitations in for repair. If it is a self winding mechanical watch I point-blank refuse to work on it.... because it's just a turd and it always will be. I'm occasionally asked how I can tell it's a fake, usually when the customer thought they had the genuine article. Man, where do I start? I can't just say "because it's just a horribly executed piece of crap compared to the real thing." That kind of comment might well be true, but it isn't good for business. It does however, continue to amaze me how many watch owners have absolutely no perception of how poorly made and/or finished their watch is, or just how much attention to detail can be bunged into something as small as a wristwatch. I think it is the same with bikes. The difference is, here on Kiwibiker their are loads of people familiar with higher quality bikes, and they get a bit tired of endless Hyosung owners praising their rides, and they don't mind telling you exactly why your budget bike sucks.

Well, that's my perception anyway.

ducatilover
2nd April 2012, 19:26
We all have bias and rose tinted glasses. Most people love their first bike, regardless of how good it actually was.

Too true, my first bike was an '86 GPZ400R, nothing spectacular, but I've always like them...
First bike I completely fell in love with was a GB500TT in burgundy with a solo seat :woohoo:
Second was a 900SS with loud pipes.

pritch
2nd April 2012, 19:52

Well my first bike was a 1954 AJS 350 single, by most modern standards a joke. Then again, i think the clutch in that worked better than the clutch in my Ducati S4R. :whistle:

nzspokes
2nd April 2012, 20:02
Too true, my first bike was an '86 GPZ400R, nothing spectacular, but I've always like them...

My GPZ is epic. :woohoo:

ducatilover
2nd April 2012, 20:06

I thought mine was too, mine was very fast as it had some red on it :yes:

Tigadee
2nd April 2012, 20:06
Spokes - I was wondering when you were gonna turn up! :laugh:

mossy1200
2nd April 2012, 20:07

My mate had a gpz400.It took him a year to realise the reason it turned in fast was the front forks were bent.

Flip
2nd April 2012, 20:11

You obviously don't know what the fuck you are talking about.

My 05 Roadking has just done 100,000km. Apart from oil and filters I have not spent a cent on its maintenence and repairs. So far I see no reason why it won't do another 100,000km or more. The tapets are automatically adjusted, the primary drive chain has only needed adjusting once and it does not use a drop of oil. So far it has been the most reilyable vehicle I have ever owned and I include a couple of jap work vehicles I have worn out.

If I had a choice I would buy a Hyosung over any jap bike any day. I just don't like jap vehicles and I include their cars in this as well.

Zedder
2nd April 2012, 20:14

Excuse me, did you say you want some red rep?

It's good to hear your Dad's helping you with the bike.

nzspokes
2nd April 2012, 20:15

Mines fast enough to kill me. I like the change it makes in sound when it climbs up on to the cams about 9k rpm.

But ive been told a GPZ600 motor goes right in......

ducatilover
2nd April 2012, 21:13
Excuse me, did you say you want some red rep?

It's good to hear your Dad's helping you with the bike.
Red is fast, sexy and stuff.
Help is always needed, especially when you happen to be soft in the head like me:pinch:

Mines fast enough to kill me. I like the change it makes in sound when it climbs up on to the cams about 9k rpm.

But ive been told a GPZ600 motor goes right in......

The 600 lump does indeed slot straight in ;) just like the ZZR4 to 600 conversion.

nzspokes
2nd April 2012, 21:17
The 600 lump does indeed slot straight in ;) just like the ZZR4 to 600 conversion.

And as the 600 has 20 more hp and the 400 bike is so much lighter than the 600 it should be a fun conversion.

short-circuit
2nd April 2012, 21:17
The thing is, Kawasaki also make the ZX6r and the Zx10r. The baby Ninja doesn't have to justify itself. It just basks in the the reflected glory of these really good sport bikes.

WTF are you talking about? The new Kwak250 aint even an inline 4. In fact the only similarity is the name

ducatilover
2nd April 2012, 21:27
And as the 600 has 20 more hp and the 400 bike is so much lighter than the 600 it should be a fun conversion.

The engine should weigh the same, I thought the GPZ400 and 600 were the same weight?
The ZZR conversion is a better one to do, 59hp to supposedly 100hp and the weight difference is only an oil cooler.

nzspokes
2nd April 2012, 21:32
The engine should weigh the same, I thought the GPZ400 and 600 were the same weight?
The ZZR conversion is a better one to do, 59hp to supposedly 100hp and the weight difference is only an oil cooler.

No, GPZ400 is 20kg lighter than the GPZ600 due to it having an alloy frame and swingarm.

I didnt know about the ZZR, so does it bolt up?

ducatilover
2nd April 2012, 21:37
No, GPZ400 is 20kg lighter than the GPZ600 due to it having an alloy frame and swingarm.

I didnt know about the ZZR, so does it bolt up?

Shit, I was always lead to believe the GPZ's were interchangeable. Might be worth looking further in to.
My ZZR conversion was a bolt up jobbie. All the wiring is the same, just need to remove the 180kp/h limiter if using the 400 CDI.
The ZZR is a far nicer bike than the GPZ if you're looking at them, much better brakes and the 600 goes/handles far, far better

nzspokes
2nd April 2012, 21:49
Shit, I was always lead to believe the GPZ's were interchangeable. Might be worth looking further in to.
My ZZR conversion was a bolt up jobbie. All the wiring is the same, just need to remove the 180kp/h limiter if using the 400 CDI.
The ZZR is a far nicer bike than the GPZ if you're looking at them, much better brakes and the 600 goes/handles far, far better

So youve done this conversion? How did the bike go? How did you get on with things like the tank?

GPZs are mainly the same but the 400 got the alloy frame to make up for it having less power for the jap domestic market. Theres a limiter? Not been that fast on it yet.

ducatilover
2nd April 2012, 22:03
So youve done this conversion? How did the bike go? How did you get on with things like the tank?

GPZs are mainly the same but the 400 got the alloy frame to make up for it having less power for the jap domestic market. Theres a limiter? Not been that fast on it yet.

Only done the conversion on the ZZR, the difference is huge. The 600 rips the 400 in half performance wise, uses less petrol and has a shite load more torque.
With the ZZR the 600 lump goes straight in (exactly the same frame) and you can even use the 400 airbox with 600 carbs.
Same tank, the differences between ZZR400 and 600 =
400 has a 180km speedo with a speed limiter. (600 speedo is 260km)
400 has smaller bore/stroke.
400 has smaller carbs.
400 has no oil cooler, but has the ability to have one.
400 has different headers (smaller ports) but the same mufflers
Different heads (even though they look the same lol)
400 has a 14T front sprocket.

Everything else is identical.
Some 600s didn't have a hazard light switch though...how trivial!

nzspokes
2nd April 2012, 22:15
Only done the conversion on the ZZR, the difference is huge. The 600 rips the 400 in half performance wise, uses less petrol and has a shite load more torque.
With the ZZR the 600 lump goes straight in (exactly the same frame) and you can even use the 400 airbox with 600 carbs.
Same tank, the differences between ZZR400 and 600 =
400 has a 180km speedo with a speed limiter. (600 speedo is 260km)
400 has smaller bore/stroke.
400 has smaller carbs.
400 has no oil cooler, but has the ability to have one.
400 has different headers (smaller ports) but the same mufflers
Different heads (even though they look the same lol)
400 has a 14T front sprocket.

Everything else is identical.
Some 600s didn't have a hazard light switch though...how trivial!

Im on the lookout for a GPZ600 motor that I will rebuild. From what ive read the motors are the same castings between the 400/600. $00 just smaller bore and stroke. 600 has bigger carbs. But in saying that my 400 motor seems strong. Going to check the valves this weekend. Would like to get one of those ape tensioners for it.

ducatilover
2nd April 2012, 22:21
Im on the lookout for a GPZ600 motor that I will rebuild. From what ive read the motors are the same castings between the 400/600. $00 just smaller bore and stroke. 600 has bigger carbs. But in saying that my 400 motor seems strong. Going to check the valves this weekend. Would like to get one of those ape tensioners for it.

A decent tensioner is a wise investment.
Rebuilding the GPZ6 might be a bit hard, parts like valve stems/seats may not be easy to get, if at all. Always pays to check what you can find, would be a cool bike with the lighter frame ;)
The GPZ6 had 32mm carbs I think? Not very big.
If the GPZ heads are interchangeable it may be easier for you to find a 600 crank/rods/pistons on eBay and get 600 liners pressed in to the block

If you post up pics of the block, I'll see if it's the same as the ZZR, if it is, I have a set of 400 barrels you can have for free to press the cylinder liners out and put GPZ ones in. I have a feeling the ZZR and GPZ run different blocks though

nzspokes
2nd April 2012, 22:30
A decent tensioner is a wise investment.
Rebuilding the GPZ6 might be a bit hard, parts like valve stems/seats may not be easy to get, if at all. Always pays to check what you can find, would be a cool bike with the lighter frame ;)
The GPZ6 had 32mm carbs I think? Not very big.
If the GPZ heads are interchangeable it may be easier for you to find a 600 crank/rods/pistons on eBay and get 600 liners pressed in to the block

If you post up pics of the block, I'll see if it's the same as the ZZR, if it is, I have a set of 400 barrels you can have for free to press the cylinder liners out and put GPZ ones in. I have a feeling the ZZR and GPZ run different blocks though

Theres a couple of motors kicking about on tm for $400ish. Apparently motorparts not that hard to get. The APE tensioners look to be $200:crazy:

ducatilover
2nd April 2012, 22:33
Theres a couple of motors kicking about on tm for $400ish. Apparently motorparts not that hard to get. The APE tensioners look to be $200:crazy:

$200? Jebus! I paid that for my spare ZZR600:yes:
$400 for a motor is an okay deal, might be worth keeping an eye out for a complete/semi complete/crashed 600? Then pop some ZXR or ZZR rims on it for 17 inch rubber and you've got a unique and quick beast! (ZZR brakes would help that baby stop too)

tbs
3rd April 2012, 09:20
WTF are you talking about? The new Kwak250 aint even an inline 4. In fact the only similarity is the name

Yes I know. I had one. Now I have something much better. WTF I was saying, was that the best you could say for Hyosung is that their top line model compares favourably with the bottom end models from other brands.... or worn out 20 year old inline fours from other brands.

ducatilover
3rd April 2012, 09:40
Yes I know. I had one. Now I have something much better. WTF I was saying, was that the best you could say for Hyosung is that their top line model compares favourably with the bottom end models from other brands.... or worn out 20 year old inline fours from other brands.

They don't compare :bleh: comfort and maintenance are invalid in KB arguments. Only HP and weight compare, or a loud pipe with bad jetting so it goes pippity pop pop on the overrun. :sunny:

tbs
3rd April 2012, 09:53
They don't compare :bleh: comfort and maintenance are invalid in KB arguments. Only HP and weight compare, or a loud pipe with bad jetting so it goes pippity pop pop on the overrun. :sunny:

Hey, I loved the pippity pop pop the carbon pipe on my Ninja gave on overrun.
I got a lot of complements on the Ninja from non-riders. They all thought it was the nuts because everyone knows Ninja's kick ass. So far no-one has told me how sweet the Gixxer is.

ducatilover
3rd April 2012, 12:44
Hey, I loved the pippity pop pop the carbon pipe on my Ninja gave on overrun.
I got a lot of complements on the Ninja from non-riders. They all thought it was the nuts because everyone knows Ninja's kick ass. So far no-one has told me how sweet the Gixxer is.

I too like pippity pop ;) I love the sound of carbs snorting and farting on the overrun.
Ahh...the good old Ninja name huh? I've had three now. Whenever someone asks what I have I'll say "just a Kawasaki ZX6"...to which they reply, "is that a Ninja???" and they're always mighty impressed and tell me how their mate has a Ninja and stuff...:facepalm:

tbs
3rd April 2012, 13:05
Ahh...the good old Ninja name huh? I've had three now. Whenever someone asks what I have I'll say "just a Kawasaki ZX6"...to which they reply, "is that a Ninja???" and they're always mighty impressed and tell me how their mate has a Ninja and stuff...:facepalm:

Yep. Back in the late 80s, one older brother rode a TZR 250 and the other rode an RG 500. I had a pretty good idea of what each one was capable of, but I lost count of the people who boldly asserted they'd been doubled on a Ninja 250 at 240..... :gob: When I got my Ninja I soon found that it's reputation preceded it.

ducatilover
3rd April 2012, 13:54
Yep. Back in the late 80s, one older brother rode a TZR 250 and the other rode an RG 500. I had a pretty good idea of what each one was capable of, but I lost count of the people who boldly asserted they'd been doubled on a Ninja 250 at 240..... :gob: When I got my Ninja I soon found that it's reputation preceded it.

Was chatting to the next door neighbor, young chap. He got very excited when he learned my bike of only 100hp was a Ninja "fuck, they're so fast, best bikes out there"

I've heard some pretty choice Ninja 250 stories :D

Bassmatt
3rd April 2012, 14:34
Was chatting to the next door neighbor, young chap. He got very excited when he learned my bike of only 100hp was a Ninja "fuck, they're so fast, best bikes out there"

I've heard some pretty choice Ninja 250 stories :D

" I like the Ninja "- Indian petrol station attendant while discussing bikes.
:rofl: