PDA

View Full Version : Ok who would run

Jackrat
23rd December 2003, 20:21
Alright I got to admit now days I take a pretty dim view of people running from the law.But that don,t mean I hav,nt done so in the past,Ok ok I know what that means, but I was younger then and it seemed like a good idea at the time.Now I would think very hard about it before doing something like that again.Both times I did it in the past I was going hard when a cop stepped
out on the road an waved,so I didn,t run as such, I just didn,t see em, an kept going,I mean a 750/4 ain,t going to catch a GT750 with a 100mph head start,an a Holden kingswood ain,t going to catch anything full stop,So I wasn,t really running ya, see.Today things have changed,some of those cop cars can really honk,so things ain,t over before things go bad.
At one time if you got the jump on em, they stood no chance.
Not today,Aye

What?
24th December 2003, 05:13
With you 100% Jack. Ran once or thrice a number of years back - my CB1100 was one of the faster things on the road then, but these days it is not. Even if I had a 300K capable bike, the cops still have a better arsenal these days, so the odds on getting away with it are severely diminished.
Reckon I might invest in a radar detector soon, though...

Motu
24th December 2003, 07:02
I've only run a couple or so times - one time the CB750 was pulling in the 350 BSA single...I couldn't understand that,seeing as how I was the second fastest rider in the world at the time.It all ended at the stake out of the Gluepot - 6 of the bastards stopped me.Other times I've got away...but I think it was all in my head,they were probably only doing a U turn because they forgot their lunch.

Doubt if I'd run - things would have to be all stacked in my favour,and the first sign that they aren't is when a cop sees you.

wkid_one
24th December 2003, 07:08
I have a couple of times....once taking the Otara/Whitford Rd coming up the hill after the last roundabout (by the Nursery) - after passing a number of cars so I could enjoy the left hander - a cop came the other way. Lights went on - throttle went on....hid in the Land Fill before Whitford.

Other than that - I wouldn't run now coz I would just high side the bike

Mitch
24th December 2003, 07:26
I have never run!! A couple of Christmas's ago on Hobsonville Rd, I was doing 128 (apparently) in a 50 I had just come past a bunch of cars and there was a cop, he had to wait to do a u-turn, I slowed down and waited for him.
He ticketed me for 75 in a 50 and told me his reason for doing so was simply that we both knew I could have got away from him.
There are worse things in life than a speeding ticked!!!
That is however only my opinion :rolleyes:

James Deuce
24th December 2003, 08:46
I once ran from a cop on a BMW R65 on my RG250 going over the Rimutakas.

Was a no contest that, but I don't think I would now. I have a different attitude to that sort of stuff now, i.e. it was me breaking the law and I'm old enough and ugly enough to know better.

Motu
24th December 2003, 08:55
One time I was riding my C50 home from work,going up a badly rutted steep gravel road (Seaveiw rd on Waiheke),fast as I could go - when I went past the local traffic cop out for a walk...um...I was only going a bit faster than him and it was easy for him to see the bike had no rego,he could of jogged alongside me and pulled me over no sweat - bit embarrasing when you can't outrun a cop on foot.He knew that I knew that he had seen it,so I didn't ride it again till I got a rego.

boris
24th December 2003, 09:31
only once, but i was on a 250 2 stroke,

bluninja
24th December 2003, 13:11
They say if you wait long enough on the internet things just keep repeating:wavey:

Try here (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=313&highlight=runner)

TTFN

Motoracer
24th December 2003, 13:57
:shit: Could this mean that we have nothing new and interesting to talk about?

How about we talk about the new and interesting ZX-10. I just read a few pages worth of review for it and man that thing rocks!!

Oh wait... That's been repeated a few times as well. :bash: :sleep:

mangell6
24th December 2003, 15:50
Its $5000 and 12 months loss of licence if you run and don't hide properly.

Mike

Marmoot
24th December 2003, 17:26
I stopped for 145 in 100 zone, but yeah I said that before.
Let's forget about running away from cops and start a topic on would you run over a cop instead? :Punk:

Racer X
25th December 2003, 22:37
I stopped for 145 in 100 zone, but yeah I said that before.
Let's forget about running away from cops and start a topic on would you run over a cop instead? :Punk:

Hahahahahahaha - Yeah quite likely these days. :ar15:

marty
27th December 2003, 06:57
i dunno about running, but i'd seriously think about keeping the pace on - especially if there was some traffic

Kwaka-Kid
27th December 2003, 08:49
nope, i have changed heaps since my joining of KB... and im sure i would have said i would run, and possibly would have been stupid enuf to try... not anymore. Its just too risky/hard. Im not a fast enough rider on unknowen roads as it is, just cant build that confidence up enough to take corners which i dont know/cant see around at the time at any form of pace... and from my last (and only) demerit earning experience i will be honest and say it was the first thing that came into my head, as the cop was coming head on @ 100, i was doing over that, and first thing i did was smack down 2 gears and then hesitate on the throttle as i gave it a quick thought, and just as i came to the conclusion that there was a passing lane coming up so the cop could pass the upcomming traffic with ease (there goes my one advantage on bike) i thought no.. looked in mirrors and cursed as he was already right up my rear end with the flashers on!!! fast... i used to sling off that they were only automatics and that they were cars etc.. but fuckme did i nearly jump off my bike when i got that surprise. Learnt a good lesson that day i think.

marty
28th December 2003, 13:03
9 times out of 10 you're well snapped by the time you see the patrol car - he's slowed ready to u-turn right behind you, and get your plate as you go past. wouldn't it be hilarious to do a runner at karapiro, get away with it, have a great big laugh in your helmet, then get a visit from the highway cop later that day, and he takes your licence off you.....

or even funnier, your bike plate gets loaded into the computer, you're going on your south island road trip, and you get stopped in omarama, and your licence gets taken from you for an offence you committed in the waikato!!!

laugh!!!

Motu
29th December 2003, 21:13
Just got a speeding ticket today - first one on a bike in...um....we could be talking decades here.Run - doubt it...knobby tyres on a wet road,400cc of nothing.

Coming home today I thought I might just go for a detour out to Swanson and come back along the Scenic Drive,need to test out the Alpine ear plugs and Camelback that Santa left,also wanted to see how the Kenda knobs do in the wet.Went through the roundabout on West Coast rd and Forrest Hill rd....blat,blat....oops,she runs away a bit,then go along Henderson Valley rd,doing just under 70kph,in the mirror I can see a late model silver car,he's hanging back just far enough that I can't get a fix on make and year...but I'm watchin him.But it's OK,it's a 70kph limit along here....isn't it?....um...well...oh yeah there's the 70kph sign there...or is that the first one? A glance in the mirror and I see the lights come on.SHIT!!! - oh,isn't hindsight a wonderfull thing....if you knew he was a cop dickhead,why,oh why didn't ya slow down?

He said I was doing 80kph down the hill,gotta agree with him on that one,but he books me for 68...that's $120 it's the dog house for me boys

I've been caught before with these 70kph rural or outskirt limits,it's kinda hard to remember where thay are,when they start and stop.Like,turn a corner and do 70,turn a corner now you do 50.Some small towns have a 70 or 80 outskirts limit,some just go to 50,little traps for the unwary.Worst part is I know this road well - and that's just why it happens eh?

Jackrat
29th December 2003, 22:12
Dang,Sorry to hear it. :ar15: :Police:

Coldkiwi
29th December 2003, 22:18
yeah... maybe a dry road I knew, preheated tyres, little warning for piggy, my detector blaring so I knew he'd stung me and no chance for him to u-turn immediately (thinking twisty sections of kopu here) and it would be an option. if I was over the limit by 40+kph it would be a reasonable option... or at least give me a choice to try the 'didn't see your lights' excuse initially if he drives quick enough.
course... then there's the problem of his mates... feck it... it really doesn't get any easier does it?

mangell6
30th December 2003, 09:46
Did you look at the speed on his machine???

The worst 50-70-100 area (IMO) is heading south on SH2 out of Waipukurau (Hawkes Bay) It last for hours, at least it seems like hours.

wkid_one
30th December 2003, 12:26
Did you look at the speed on his machine???

The worst 50-70-100 area (IMO) is heading south on SH2 out of Waipukurau (Hawkes Bay) It last for hours, at least it seems like hours.

Bloody hell - do I agree with that or what......it takes longer to drive than to watch the end of LOTR3 (and that is a hellishly long time)

Racey Rider
9th January 2004, 21:54
I got done today by a muffty car. 73 in a 50 zone. $170. 35 demert points. And a "I should have done a runner" feeling after it all! :(
Was just heading down to get a Wof for the Rg150, running late, happened to check my mirrors, to see flashing lights 400m behind me. First thought was,, thats probabley for me, pull over and wait.
Cop was nice enough. Too the point. "Have a nice day Officer!".
But can't help thinking, problely would have got away if I'ld just kepted going. Roads were dry, not much traffic, lots of windy/mazey road options in front of me. I'm sure he wouldn't have got my plate number.

O well,,, The ups and downs of road riding. :weep:
Will go and read that other thread about why we shouldn't do runners again!

sAsLEX
9th January 2004, 23:24
What make/colour etc?? it wasn't the new silver VY that has been trolling around NP was it??

angle
10th January 2004, 03:29
I kind of ran once. I was coming back to Auckland and just finished overtaking a line of cars (because of that my speed was at 190km/h), a couple of seconds after the overtake a police car drove past in the opposite direction. As soon as they saw me the lights went on, thankfully they could not make a sharp u-turn because of the cars following me, which gave me some time to reach the first turn onto a rural road. After turning away from the main road, I pulled over the bike so that it could not be seen, waited a couple of minutes and then took the backroads home.

Police took a great liking of undercover cars of late. Somehow I always feel uneasy when there are new generation Fords and Holdens around. Especially after seeing one with hidden flashing lights in the grill in the rear mirror while speeding, that time it thankfully just overtook me, probably in a hurry to attend something serious.

P.S. The mirrors on the RG are horrible, all I see in them are my elbows.

BlueR1
10th January 2004, 22:11
If zapped doing over 150kms id run if under 150 id stop, if your doing 150 plus its not worth stopping, I have done several runners in the past including a police motorbike, although I am a firm believer that you are better keeping a low profile and avoiding confrontations! Save the speeding to the back roads where you are less likely to get ya self in these situations :Police:

sAsLEX
10th January 2004, 23:30
Haven't they changed max velocity to +40 before 28 days etc. ?? :weep:

BlueR1
11th January 2004, 07:32
9 times out of 10 you're well snapped by the time you see the patrol car - he's slowed ready to u-turn right behind you, and get your plate as you go past. wouldn't it be hilarious to do a runner at karapiro, get away with it, have a great big laugh in your helmet, then get a visit from the highway cop later that day, and he takes your licence off you.....

or even funnier, your bike plate gets loaded into the computer, you're going on your south island road trip, and you get stopped in omarama, and your licence gets taken from you for an offence you committed in the waikato!!!

laugh!!!

Umm cant happen, to take your licence off you, you have to be caught doing the offence, otherwise they have no proof that it was you on the bike at the time to offence was committed. The worst that can happen if your number plate is recorded by the cops is you will get a visit and be asked who was riding the bike, if you dont tell them you get charged with witholding information, in the case that im aware of this cost the rider $1000, but he kept his licence..... Still a better outcome than if he had stopped ie he would have ended up with no licence and a $1000 fine....

Kwaka-Kid
11th January 2004, 07:39
Umm cant happen, to take your licence off you, you have to be caught doing the offence, otherwise they have no proof that it was you on the bike at the time to offence was committed. The worst that can happen if your number plate is recorded by the cops is you will get a visit and be asked who was riding the bike, if you dont tell them you get charged with witholding information, in the case that im aware of this cost the rider $1000, but he kept his licence..... Still a better outcome than if he had stopped ie he would have ended up with no licence and a $1000 fine....
Umm legally CAN and DOES happen my friend.

BlueR1
11th January 2004, 10:18
Umm legally CAN and DOES happen my friend.

It dosent, not unless you admit you were riding the bike, otherwise it cant stand up in court I know this as not only have I seen it happen I have also heard it from the horse's mouth ie a cop. If all they get is your number plate they will pressure you to admit that it was you riding the bike if you don't and you wont tell them who was riding they can charge you with witholding information, no more no less and witholding information is not a loss of licence offence.

spudchucka
11th January 2004, 17:21
It dosent, not unless you admit you were riding the bike, otherwise it cant stand up in court I know this as not only have I seen it happen I have also heard it from the horse's mouth ie a cop. If all they get is your number plate they will pressure you to admit that it was you riding the bike if you don't and you wont tell them who was riding they can charge you with witholding information, no more no less and witholding information is not a loss of licence offence.

Could be taken to Court but would need supporting evidence as to who was riding / driving, (independant witness). In the case of a car this can be easier as the drivers face is visible.

Withholding information could cost you $10000, which is the maximum penalty for this offence. Its very unlikely that any Judge would fine anyone that amount but the legislation allows it.

Check out Section 118(1)&(2) and Section 118(4) of the Land Transport Act 1998. The penalty provisions are found in Section 118(1)(c).

Basically it means that police can "Require" any owner or hirer of a vehicle to give within 14 days any available information concerning the identity of the driver, (if the driver is alleged to have committed any offence against any act)

Its interesting that this applies where offences are committed against any act, not just the land transport act. In effect it could apply to the owner of a vehicle seen to drop litter.

Section 118(4) relates to the owner of any vehicle used to flee a police pursuit. In these cases the owner is required to give the information immediately.

Jackrat
11th January 2004, 17:57
You just give five probable names an sit back to watch the circus.
I mean to say any of my mates can ride my bike anytime they like,So it could of been any of them,And BTW I was at my mums place all day that day,just
ask her <_< :bleh:

marty
11th January 2004, 21:04

i'm gonna disagree here. a simple line of questioning by the omarama cop, with your admission that no-one else was riding your bike at karapiro 36 hours earlier (and believe me people will admit it was them) will have your licence taken on the roadside - how do you think camera tickets over 150km/h are processed? a simple 'duh - i dunno' will not suffice, and the max fine for failing to provide details has gone from $1000 to $10 000, and disqualification is always an option........

Kwaka-Kid
11th January 2004, 21:43
fully agree with you marty... BlueR1 we must have different horses because mine sings the tune of they all still get done in court...

Lou Girardin
12th January 2004, 06:17
Once you give the information about the driver your obligations are done with. The cops have to find and charge him. They can't have two bites at the cherry.
Lou

Marmoot
12th January 2004, 09:45
Just thinking,

If you get the $1000 speeding fine and loss of license, doesn't that mean Traffic Infringement?

And if you get the Witholding Information, doesn't that mean Criminal Offence?

Which one is better in the long run (i.e., job hunting, etc) anyway?

k14
12th January 2004, 11:05
I think they are both the same. Although someone did tell me that traffic convictions get deleted after 3 years, but i am not sure if this is true.

I would have thought everyone would have learnt their lessons by now that if you do a runner you die!!! No matter how short the chase is you die. Or worse, you kill one of your mates or some innocent man walking his dog. Then you have 7-10 years of being some gang members bitch.

Just think. I bet everyone's opinion on this would change if one of their huband/wife/kid/mum/dad was killed by an idiot doing a runner to save themselve a $400 traffic ticket. But instead it ended up with 3 people dead and someone (like you or your mate) doing 10 years in prison!!

I think everyone here needs to treat riding with a bit of maturity. Sure i disagree with the way the roads are policed at the moment. But doing a runner isnt the way to rebel against it.

Hey, here's a thought, even though some of you might think i need to get psychiatric care for it. Dont even do anything to get pulled over for in the first place.

Just think about all the conquences and the worst case scenario.

I am writing this from a first hand experience of what can go wrong when you decide to do a runner. I hope everyone on here wont make the same mistake i did.

marty
12th January 2004, 11:12
I think they are both the same. Although someone did tell me that traffic convictions get deleted after 3 years, but i am not sure if this is true.

any court appearance, other than defending an infringment ticket, results in your history being added to your rap sheet. minor traffic history (speeding, failing to give way etc) has to be searched separatley.

no history drops off - even after 25 years - parliament has not yet passed the law to have that done.

wkid_one
12th January 2004, 11:31
PS - Following on from Martys post - apparently Insurance Companies have access to this also

k14
12th January 2004, 11:36
Nope, there is no way for them to find out about your traffic convictions/speeding tickets apart from you telling them.

If they did, then that is against the privacy act (or something like that).

They could have a spy in every court room in teh country and write down all the names of people that get convicted though!!

wkid_one
12th January 2004, 11:38
Nope, there is no way for them to find out about your traffic convictions/speeding tickets apart from you telling them.

They could have a spy in every court room in teh country and write down all the names of people that get convicted though!!
Check your privacy disclaimer in your insurance schedule before you say that - most have a disclaimer that allows them the latitude to do this in certain events.

Coldkiwi
12th January 2004, 12:12
they could however invalidate your claim if it came to light that you had a previous offence you didn't tell them when confirming the policy. Not sure how it would come to light... perhaps a loose mouthed cop if one attended the scene?

Coldkiwi
12th January 2004, 12:19
yeah... maybe a dry road I knew, preheated tyres, little warning for piggy, my detector blaring so I knew he'd stung me and no chance for him to u-turn immediately (thinking twisty sections of kopu here) and it would be an option. if I was over the limit by 40+kph it would be a reasonable option... or at least give me a choice to try the 'didn't see your lights' excuse initially if he drives quick enough.
course... then there's the problem of his mates... feck it... it really doesn't get any easier does it?

well, I got to put that in to practice over the holidays. going through a 65kph corner on SH16 with hot tyres, heard the escort bleep, saw the signal die real fast, looked in the mirrors and saw a blue holden I'd just gone past and decided not to dick around given that I had no idea what my speed was but figured it was 120+ (possibly 130+ because I was in a good mood!). Went for it (not death tripping but certainly hustling) reminding myself to relax and not panic and if I saw any lights gaining in the mirror, I'd slow down and plead stupidity. Turns out he didn't even turn round (an admission of the holden being well-outclassed?) but gave BB, Aff-man and john behind me the evil eye when he passed them!

k14
12th January 2004, 12:23
Check your privacy disclaimer in your insurance schedule before you say that - most have a disclaimer that allows them the latitude to do this in certain events.

Yeah, but the only way for them to find out is 1.) from you and 2.) from the cops (and it is illegal for them to give out personal details to anyone about anyone). So i think i'll take my chances.

Anyone know how much say "hypothetically" an insurance premium would increase in the case of a traffic conviction or a speeding ticket??

wkid_one
12th January 2004, 13:33
Yeah, but the only way for them to find out is 1.) from you and 2.) from the cops (and it is illegal for them to give out personal details to anyone about anyone). So i think i'll take my chances.

Anyone know how much say "hypothetically" an insurance premium would increase in the case of a traffic conviction or a speeding ticket??
Actually not if you have the disclaimer in your records - same thing goes for the Central Crash database. You can condition your way out of the PA by way of having the customer sign

LOL - a couple of things may happen:
1. They will up the price considerably in recognition of your ' increased' risk
2. They may bump the price up so high in an endeavour to make you leave
3. They won't renew your policy.

Many insurers WON'T insure people with speeding tickets if you are deemed in the high risk catagory (18-25-ish, male) or if the ticket is for an excessive speed

Usually they will either load an increased excess ($1000-2000) and/or bump the premium up (often equal to a 0% non-claims level)

You are in a catch 22 tho - you HAVE to disclose this to them at the time it occurs - as if you don't you are deemed to be withholding material information - and in the event of a claim - they can elect not to pay out - this is esp true if you pass an anniversary of taking your insurance out.

Somewhere here may know more about it than me as whilst I worked for an insurance company - I didn't work in the underwriting area.

You can be left high and dry here - as if no-one will insure you - you are in breach of any finance agreements you have on the bike as well as this is conditional on you having cover for the bike!!

Dan

Jackrat
12th January 2004, 14:12

Sorry mate,after having worked in the industry for several years I can tell you from first hand experiance you are so wrong.
Give me your full name and I will tell you more about yourself than you would ever belive possible,in under an hour.
The freedom of information act does not cover what you are talking about,Sorry but your criminal history is public record not private.
All a person needs is to be accredited in any number of fields and you are an open book.Sorry

k14
12th January 2004, 14:20
Ohh, damn. Well i was slightly misinformed/nieve!!

How do you find out then??

wkid_one
12th January 2004, 14:33
Sorry mate,after having worked in the industry for several years I can tell you from first hand experiance you are so wrong.
Give me your full name and I will tell you more about yourself than you would ever belive possible,in under an hour.
The freedom of information act does not cover what you are talking about,Sorry but your criminal history is public record not private.
All a person needs is to be accredited in any number of fields and you are an open book.SorryI wasn't going to say anything about this due to being seen as argumentative :gob: . Having worked in the banking industry for nigh on 8 years and in the insurance industry - JR is right. I can even go in to the LSTA and change your car registration to my name online without leaving my desk. I can find out any court judgements etc if finalised and so on......all without moving from my desk. Certain items require privacy signoffs - others don't.

Scary thought really - but you need to make sure you read your privacy disclaimers - as you would be surprised the powers that you can sign to the person who is collecting the information. Also - certain information you are talking about here is NOT covered by the PA at all.

Jackrat
12th January 2004, 15:21
Yep,Wkid is right.
When I first started my training I was completly blown away by how much info' is available.Your bank accounts are fairly safe and belive it or not if you are on any sort of payment or loan from Winz,That info' is safe.
If you read the fine print when you sign for insurance you will see you are giving permission for the company to check you out.
The same goes for most job applications,Pretty standard now days.

wkid_one
12th January 2004, 16:57
Damn skippy - I have been involved in writing the disclaimers in my previous job......you quite often don't know what you are signing away when you sign a form.....take a mortgage for example - you are often giving a bank permission to credit check you, ring your employer etc etc etc.

Banks and INsurance companies are particularly good at this - as they work on information

DEATH_INC.
12th January 2004, 20:04
Have done,still would if I think I can get away it.Last time was about 12 months ago,doing a 200+kph wheelie on the southern m/way(on my ZX12);you don't have much to lose trying to get away,they crucify you anyway......

inlinefour
17th January 2005, 02:25
Alright I got to admit now days I take a pretty dim view of people running from the law.But that don,t mean I hav,nt done so in the past,Ok ok I know what that means, but I was younger then and it seemed like a good idea at the time.Now I would think very hard about it before doing something like that again.Both times I did it in the past I was going hard when a cop stepped
out on the road an waved,so I didn,t run as such, I just didn,t see em, an kept going,I mean a 750/4 ain,t going to catch a GT750 with a 100mph head start,an a Holden kingswood ain,t going to catch anything full stop,So I wasn,t really running ya, see.Today things have changed,some of those cop cars can really honk,so things ain,t over before things go bad.
At one time if you got the jump on em, they stood no chance.
Not today,Aye

Never have and never will...