PDA

View Full Version : Road Trip to South Island

jafa21
1st April 2012, 18:36
Hey Guys,
I am thinking of doing a road trip from Auckland to Queenstown on my Kawasaki ninja 250 around end of July.
I would like to know:
Is it a good idea? If yes, why. If no, Why?
Have you done it before and what are your thoughts? any regrets? what would you do differently?
What route do you recommend (rough itinerary please) ?
How many days should i do it in?

I have no time restrictions. I am very flexible on everything.

I realize its going to be middle of winter then, so may be its not such a good idea to do it in July???

I dont mind biking one way and flying my bike the other way. Should i ride both ways or only do one way?

Please share your views/thoughts/experiences.

About me:
Bike - 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250. 7,000Kms.
Average Riding experience
Full Licence holder.
Never been to South Island.

Madness
1st April 2012, 18:39
I dont mind biking one way and flying my bike the other way. Should i ride both ways or only do one way?

Did you buy a Lotto ticket in Te Kauwhata last week by chance? You do know it snows down there aye?

GingerMidget
1st April 2012, 18:39
Have you any real experience with riding in snow? It tends to snow properly in July down that way. The desert road is a nasty one in winter too. Can you delay it until maybe October?

nzspokes
1st April 2012, 18:40
I dont mind biking one way and flying my bike the other way.

:headbang: Wish my bike could fly....

FJRider
1st April 2012, 18:40
How much time ... and money, do you have/want to spend ... ???

The bike shouldn't be an issue. There are plenty of threads on this subject. Read a few.

jafa21
1st April 2012, 18:43
Did you buy a Lotto ticket in Te Kauwhata last week by chance? You do know it snows down there aye?

Haha. I wish.
Yes i know it snows there. Thats why i was asking if its a good idea or not?

jafa21
1st April 2012, 18:44
Have you any real experience with riding in snow? It tends to snow properly in July down that way. The desert road is a nasty one in winter too. Can you delay it until maybe October?

No experience in snow at all.
I have to go to queenstown end of july.
So thats the reason i want to go at that time.

GingerMidget
1st April 2012, 18:45
If you have to ask, you are already doubting it.

FJRider

Only a few roads are snow affected. Plenty of alternitive routes if some are closed.

jafa21
How much time ... and money, do you have/want to spend ... ???

The bike shouldn't be an issue. There are plenty of threads on this subject. Read a few.

Time is not an issue. I dont mind spending 2 weeks getting there.
I will read some threads. Thanks

FJRider
1st April 2012, 18:47
No experience in snow at all.
I have to go to queenstown end of july.
So thats the reason i want to go at that time.

Just DO IT ... Plenty of backpacker accomidation available.

FJRider
1st April 2012, 18:49
Time is not an issue. I dont mind spending 2 weeks getting there.
I will read some threads. Thanks

Maduck did a south island trip recently. Read her thread.

pritch
1st April 2012, 18:49
I've been down there a few times, great roads, but I was advised to stay near the coast in winter; avoid the mountain passes.
The West Coast Highway is magic but you need good kit. I had good kit and still got soaked last time.

Don't plan to do too many Ks in a day. If your schedule is too heavy you'll get home with a limited idea of where you've been.

If you're quick you could still catch Henry Cole's "World Greatest Motorcycle Rides" jaunt down there last year. Currently on the Travel Channel.

FJRider
1st April 2012, 18:59
I've been down there a few times, great roads, but I was advised to stay near the coast in winter; avoid the mountain passes.
The West Coast Highway is magic but you need good kit. I had good kit and still got soaked last time.

Don't plan to do too many Ks in a day. If your schedule is too heavy you'll get home with a limited idea of where you've been.

If you're quick you could still catch Henry Cole's "World Greatest Motorcycle Rides" jaunt down there last year. Currently on the Travel Channel.

The higher passes ... it pays to wait a few hours after sun up ... but mostly it's fine. Different weather patterns in different months ... it varies so much. Even in winter.

The New Zealand Motorcycle Atlas is reccommended kit for a traveller ... it shows all (most) of the good roads. 300-500 km's in a day capable riders, should have no worries. Most that are not learn fast.

MadDuck
It gets really cold down there ah?

I am trying to do a ride report but the word "awesome" is becoming repetitive....

Berries
I wouldn't worry about snow. If it is bad then cars won't get through. In July it is more than likely going to be cold, ok for half an hour, but if you are doing 3+ hours in close to freezing temps you will suffer. Ice is the other issue, especially when it has warmed up enough to make you feel confident then you hit a shaded patch.

But I'd say definitely do it, especially if you have no time constraints. You can sit out any really bad weather and to be honest, there are only a handful of days a year where you wouldn't get your bike out. You'd be pissed if you flew down to 20 degrees, which can happen.

FJRider
1st April 2012, 19:04
If you have to ask, you are already doubting it.

Many inexperienced riders/travellers ask ... if they haven't done the distance before.

whowhatwhere
1st April 2012, 19:23
You'll be fine. Just make sure you keep warm and watch out for grit.

jafa21
1st April 2012, 19:37

Hey, when you say too many Ks, how many kms you consider too many?
whats a good number of Kms in a day?

FJRider
1st April 2012, 19:41
Hey, when you say too many Ks, how many kms you consider too many?
whats a good number of Kms in a day?

Ask Gremlin ... and he'll tell you about 1600 km's is a good day ... BUT ... It's what YOU can do and be comfortable about it.

jafa21
1st April 2012, 19:46
Ask Gremlin ... and he'll tell you about 1600 km's is a good day ... BUT ... It's what YOU can do and be comfortable about it.

Hey, i have done 350 kms in one day before. We went to raglan and back. So had more than an hour break in the middle.
That was ok. But doing it continuously everyday, would be different
As i havent done it before, how would i know if i am ok with it or not.
The reason i want to know before hand is so i can plan my trip accordingly.
Or should i just wing the whole thing. Just get on the bike and stop as and when i like.

FJRider
1st April 2012, 19:55
Hey, i have done 350 kms in one day before. We went to raglan and back. So had more than an hour break in the middle.
Or should i just wing the whole thing. Just get on the bike and stop as and when i like.

Do a few regular rides ... at around a tank of gas on each leg. The initial "big" ride it the hard one. You do get used to the miles. The next one's get easier.

Even a trip "out" ... a coffee and/or a feed. Then gas up and home. Don't race ... go at your pace.

Stop whenever YOU like. For a photo/rest/pee/eat/drink/gas ... whatever ...

You will get into the routine of what you need "on tour" ... very quickly.

Ollie.T
1st April 2012, 20:26
I've done Ohakune - Wellington, Ohakune - Auckland, Wellington - New Plymouth and Wellington - Christchurch (about 3 times) on a GN250, mostly in winter.

Its definitely doable (though almost impossible to overtake anything). Plan your fuel stops, grab a bite to eat at the same time, use some ear plugs and don't do it in stupid weather.

FJRider
1st April 2012, 20:30
Its definitely doable (though almost impossible to overtake anything). Plan your fuel stops, grab a bite to eat at the same time, use some ear plugs and don't do it in stupid weather.

There's bugger all traffic in the south island ... and if the ninja can't pass a campervan ... :shifty:

Ollie.T
1st April 2012, 23:28
There's bugger all traffic in the south island ... and if the ninja can't pass a campervan ... :shifty:

Seems like whenever I ride/drive anywhere long distance down south, there are always heaps of those Juicy Rental camper vans, driven by fucking muppets. Could just be bad luck I guess, or perhaps there are not actually that many, but they piss me off enough so I remember them!

Though I agree, N.I. definitely has more traffic.

Flip
2nd April 2012, 07:47
Yes the curse of the FCV, thats Fucking Camper Vans.

Dress Appropiately amd ride to the conditions and you will be fine. Heated handle bars would be a good investement. You also probably want to start getting used the the taste of Speights and if you can find some os the clothes they wear in the Speights 'good on ya mate' ads so you don't look like a dorklander when you get down here.

There are a couple of roads to watch out for because of ice, Lindis pass, Gibbston highway the road into queenstown, Hast pass. Ok any road in the hills will have ice.

After a while down here you will be pleased to ride in grit because there is a fuck of a lot more traction in it than compacted snow or ice.

Anyway if you get unstuck I have a 4WD and a trailer.

2nd April 2012, 08:42
I regularly travel to Christchurch, and in July there would be no fucken way I would ride,there is ice all over the place.
The place is as cold as fuck in winter.
Wait till Summer mate and the long,empty roads are amazing, you will love it.

Muppet
2nd April 2012, 10:30
I regularly travel to Christchurch, and in July there would be no fucken way I would ride,there is ice all over the place.

Yep 240, you're right, leave it til summer. I live here in the Garden City and have ridden all over the country in all weathers and mate it ain't no fun riding in the cold. You can't see any of the scenery etc and it can be quite dangerous. If there's ice then there's grit. There can be black ice in the shadows which lasts all day. Seriously, leave it 'til at least October.

Flip
2nd April 2012, 12:14
I have done 28 Brass Monkeys mostly from Wellington. Only had one problem in the ice going into Naseby one trip, you just have to expect slick roads and ride to the conditions.

You sports bike riders need to take a big harden the fuck up pill.

FJRider
2nd April 2012, 13:22

Yep 240, you're right, leave it til summer. I live here in the Garden City and have ridden all over the country in all weathers and mate it ain't no fun riding in the cold. You can't see any of the scenery etc and it can be quite dangerous. If there's ice then there's grit. There can be black ice in the shadows which lasts all day. Seriously, leave it 'til at least October.

Well ... you guys stay safe on your warm couch over winter ... The roads wont go anywhere ...

I've found the thought of ice scares a lot of car (and bike riders) drivers away from this area. So much the better for me. LESS traffic on the roads. Good gear worn ... and you'll have no issues with the cold.

Dickheads that try to ride in winter ... the same way (and speed) they do in summer (with the same gear) will always have issues. And in such times ... perhaps it's BETTER they stay the hell out of the area. Less work for the emergency crews that would have to pick up the pieces of their idiocy ..

I've spent the last 20 years riding around these parts ... winters included. I haven't came adrift on ice yet. I've had a little slippy-slide ... low speed and but not an off. The ice prone spots are pretty well marked (signposted) for extra care. Over the Lindis pass to Mt Cook for a late lunch is a damm fine ride in July. Heavy traffic flow on the main roads gets rid of the ice (if it existed at all) pretty quickly. My count is 16 Brass monkey rallys ... at least 5 of those involved below zero temperature rides to and from the rally (it's more dangerous AT/ON the rally site) ...

After a frost ... a sunny day usually results. And from 10 am untill about 4 pm ... it's a bloody good day for a ride.

jafa21
2nd April 2012, 18:35
Hey guys,
Thanks a lot for your views and opinions. Half of you are saying dont do it and half are saying do it.
Hence, half of me wants to just do it and the other half says wait till summer.
Dont forget i am not that experienced and hence little problems/issues add up and might work against me.
I might do couple of small trips of north island first soon and then see how i feel.

I would love to do this trip with somebody though. Anybody keen to join me?

oldrider
2nd April 2012, 20:06
So many men so many opinions, you could do the trip and have no problems at all ... but then again! :facepalm:

You only need to give yourself a serious plan to get yourself out of the worst case possible scenario, should shit happen!

You are planning an adventure ... adventures are just a lot of new experiences strung out and joined together by incidence of success and failure!

You will never get it all right or all wrong, it's like Yoda said .... "Do" or "Do not"!

Should you decide on the former.

Do not underestimate the weather.

Do not overestimate your own capability.

Keep an eye on the weather on either side of the Alps and try to ride the good side.

Try to organise a string of support mates at strategic points along the chosen route, KB members are renown for providing that!

Enjoy the experience, I won't wish you good luck, I will however wish you good management and all the best! :ride: Cheers, John.

FJRider
2nd April 2012, 20:11
Hey guys,
Thanks a lot for your views and opinions. Half of you are saying dont do it and half are saying do it.
Hence, half of me wants to just do it and the other half says wait till summer.
Dont forget i am not that experienced and hence little problems/issues add up and might work against me.
I might do couple of small trips of north island first soon and then see how i feel.

I would love to do this trip with somebody though. Anybody keen to join me?

Plenty of KB'rs in the south island to VISIT ... if the Ninja's reliable ... DO IT ...

Live ... but don't live and regret you didn't. And if it goes pear shaped ... you're still young, you'll get over it ...

JATZ
2nd April 2012, 20:39
Yip....Do it :yes: Better to have memories than dreams

Ride to the conditions and take your time, you'll be sweet.
If it does turn to shit..... I have a trailer :blink: and don't mind lending a hand

GingerMidget
2nd April 2012, 20:48
Plenty of KB'rs in the south island to VISIT ... if the Ninja's reliable ... DO IT ...

Live ... but don't live and regret you didn't. And if it goes pear shaped ... you're still young, you'll get over it ...

I like this

_Shrek_
2nd April 2012, 22:12

I moved to Central in 2009 & rode from spring vale to Roxburgh every day in ice & snow, then I would ride back to north Canty in the weekends most times through the Lindis & had no problems!!! you ride to the conditions have good gear & heated grips + you learn new ways to ride in different situations, do the trip & enjoy your self, & if you need a bed or trailer what ever that can be done too, as for the amount of k's you do in a day will depend on how you feel, what your doing etc... when mrs Shrek & I are out we will cover any where from 250 to 800 k's a day (& she has a hobbit bike) or more if I'm on my own

_Shrek_
2nd April 2012, 22:14

:yes: well said that man

Berries
2nd April 2012, 22:51
One final tip, Speights is shit.

Certainly sounds like it. But bikes do get dirty quicker in winter.

_Shrek_
3rd April 2012, 07:18
One final tip, Speights is shit.

:scratch: do you actually know what shit tastes like :innocent:

Berries
3rd April 2012, 07:41
:scratch: do you actually know what shit tastes like :innocent:
I do actually, but I'll keep my personal fetish out of this.

I should have said that if you make it to the south island there are far better beers than that mass produced rubbish.

Flip
3rd April 2012, 08:13
I also have a ute, a bed and a workshop if needed in Oamaru.

If the timing is right would be happy to travel with you on the southern bit of your trip, thats if you don't mind riding with a old fat biker.

And it sounds like Berries is not just Scatter brained.

unstuck
3rd April 2012, 08:28
Just do it, you never know what could happen.Its not what happens to you that is important, but how you deal with it.:yes: Sometimes shit happens and things do go pear shaped,but every problem has a solution. I got stuck on the side of the road between makarora and haast one night in july when the old piece of shit I was riding developed a fear of the dark. I was really pissed off to start with, but turned into one of the most awesome nights of my life.:woohoo:

oldrider
3rd April 2012, 10:02
I moved to Central in 2009 & rode from spring vale to Roxburgh every day in ice & snow, then I would ride back to north Canty in the weekends most times through the Lindis & had no problems!!! you ride to the conditions have good gear & heated grips + you learn new ways to ride in different situations, do the trip & enjoy your self, & if you need a bed or trailer what ever that can be done too, as for the amount of k's you do in a day will depend on how you feel, what your doing etc... when mrs Shrek & I are out we will cover any where from 250 to 800 k's a day (& she has a hobbit bike) or more if I'm on my own

We can attest to that because he used to stop in at our house and thaw out a bit before moving on again! :cold:

Sort of like being visited by a near death big black half frozen Yeti! :eek:

A quick cup of coffee ... a couple of muffled words ... empty the lolly jar :spanking: ... and he's off back out into the cold, cold, frozen night! :facepalm:

"Shreck" ... surely a true "dedicated motorcyclist" for "all" occasions! :ride:

FJRider
3rd April 2012, 15:56
The only way to be an experienced rider ... is to go get that experience. The open road of the South Island is the best "Polytecnic" to get that.

Modern motorcycles (and roads) are a dam sight better than they were in the past. (but we managed anyway)

Muppet
3rd April 2012, 23:03
I have done 28 Brass Monkeys mostly from Wellington. Only had one problem in the ice going into Naseby one trip, you just have to expect slick roads and ride to the conditions.

Now listen Berries you do what you want but for gods sake do not ride if there's ice around Ok?

And never mind what these hogsters say. As for the above comment, half you buggers take your hogs down to the Brass on a trailer then go and stay at a motel nearby. You also can't ride without a support vehicle carrying your gear, nor can you ride for longer than 20 km without having to make a badge that says "I-went-to-the-pub-and-back-Run 2012".

LBD
4th April 2012, 00:11
Now listen Berries you do what you want but for gods sake do not ride if there's ice around Ok?.

My fav winter time gauge on the bike is an ambient thermometer....below 5 C ease up and be cautious in the shade. Other than possible ice threats, winter is great....roads are quieter.

Other thing to watch is grit on the roads, spread in ice and snow conditions.

sleemanj
4th April 2012, 01:25
July is cold, no question. But you'e not going to be riding on some long forgotten off the beaten track dirt road through mountainous terrain. You'll be fine. Open your eyes, and enjoy the trip at a leisurely pace.

Dress warm. Even just a scarf will do wonders. Make sure you have some GOOD wet weather gear, or at least don't ride in the rain, cold is ok, bracing, refreshing even... but cold and wet is just plain unmitigated misery.

Winter riding with good weather is great riding, big blue skies, a bracing chill to the air. Fuckin' A.

unstuck
4th April 2012, 07:02
July is cold, no question. But you'e not going to be riding on some long forgotten off the beaten track dirt road through mountainous terrain. You'll be fine. Open your eyes, and enjoy the trip at a leisurely pace.

Dress warm. Even just a scarf will do wonders. Make sure you have some GOOD wet weather gear, or at least don't ride in the rain, cold is ok, bracing, refreshing even... but cold and wet is just plain unmitigated misery.

Winter riding with good weather is great riding, big blue skies, a bracing chill to the air. Fuckin' A.

Fuckin A. +1.

Berries
4th April 2012, 07:30
Now listen Berries you do what you want but for gods sake do not ride if there's ice around Ok?
Ok, thanks Mum.

Flip
4th April 2012, 08:33

And never mind what these hogsters say. As for the above comment, half you buggers take your hogs down to the Brass on a trailer then go and stay at a motel nearby. You also can't ride without a support vehicle carrying your gear, nor can you ride for longer than 20 km without having to make a badge that says "I-went-to-the-pub-and-back-Run 2012".

Unlike some sports bike riders here, who seem to think it is fun to go back and forward over the same piece of road, over and over again as fast as possible until they finally get their knee down,:motu: I use my bike in all weather and are not afraid of the road conditions. If I parked my bike up because there was the possibility of ice in Otago it would be off the road for 6 months of the year.:cold:

The most icy trip I ever did was in 05 or 06 when we left the Brass and came back over the Hast pass in the frost after a big snow storm. There was about 80 km of solid ice roads. It was very slow going, all 4 bikes made it ok, nobody got their knee down on that trip.

If its really iced up I can take the side car see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a10oI4uPyuw

LBD
4th April 2012, 19:03
Unlike some sports bike riders here, who seem to think it is fun to go back and forward over the same piece of road, over and over again as fast as possible until they finally get their knee down,:motu: I use my bike in all weather and are not afraid of the road conditions. If I parked my bike up because there was the possibility of ice in Otago it would be off the road for 6 months of the year.:cold:

The most icy trip I ever did was in 05 or 06 when we left the Brass and came back over the Hast pass in the frost after a big snow storm. There was about 80 km of solid ice roads. It was very slow going, all 4 bikes made it ok, nobody got their knee down on that trip.

If its really iced up I can take the side car see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a10oI4uPyuw

261369261370... yup, winter riding is neat

Twosixty
7th April 2012, 18:43
If you make it down here I'll do a day or two from Blenheim with you.

JATZ
7th April 2012, 22:30
... yup, winter riding is neat

can be hard work though :sweatdrop

http://i412.photobucket.com/albums/pp201/ztaj/NADS%20RIDES/SAM_1128.gif

Nzpure
8th April 2012, 00:05
Dude im a newby rider got my licence in winter and headed for the hills. Winters brilliant to ride in, Means your not sweating your balls off in your leathers. As long as you ride sensibly, be careful of grit they put on the roads in the most unpleasant places. Purchase a belaclaver or however the feck you spell in and a scarf, wrap up warm and go for it. skip amberly to ashburton its straight as a die and boring as shit lol. But if you do come by the broken city give us a yell and we can go for a boost over the peninsula:ride:. Ignore those pussies who say its too cold or snowy they are just that pussies. If the road is snowed in to the point its inpassable noones going thro. Its farking pretty down these ways mate you'll love it. Just get out there and :ride:

DODO``
8th April 2012, 01:09
I've done one in my old hyosung gt250r. to welly couple years ago.

Hey Guys,
I am thinking of doing a road trip from Auckland to Queenstown on my Kawasaki ninja 250 around end of July.
I would like to know:
Is it a good idea? If yes, why. If no, Why?

Definitely yes, because its fun!

Have you done it before and what are your thoughts? any regrets? what would you do differently?

not to queenstown but to wellington and back. only regrets I had was not taking any photos!!! I didnt have the 12v jack on the bike so my phone batt kept dying on me, lot of things I had to improvise as I go, buy things as I go, Id say go with others if possible, have some basic tools and important contact handy in case something goes wrong, have the right warm gear especially rain gear, service your bike before setting out and enjoy the open road!

What route do you recommend (rough itinerary please) ?

I just took the biggest motorway right across the middle of the country down, and sort of zig zaged the way back up. if you divide the trips into many days its pretty easy really.. make frequent stops and you will be fine.

How many days should i do it in?

I know some people do auckland to wellington in a day but I took it slow and done the whole thing (ak to welly to ak) in a week. stopping at many many many places and spending 2 nights in welly.

I have no time restrictions. I am very flexible on everything.

I realize its going to be middle of winter then, so may be its not such a good idea to do it in July???

no comment on snow ride as Ive never rode on snow, but as for the both or one way, i guess it depends on your time and budget really. take it slow and dont schedule everything too tight thats the key.

Please share your views/thoughts/experiences.

ended up with bugs ALL over me.. not a biggy, arm-ache, backache, cramps,, on that sports bike.. use go cruise throttle control if you can on motorways, bigger bike than 250 would be less vibration etc etc more comfortable.. my mate told me he almost fell asleep so yeah ride fresh, take it easy slow, I remember lot of pain here and there haha.. have top box or saddle bags,, Id say do it, its fun, and if you want to enjoy the trip stop by at lots of places rather than sticking your head down and riding straight to the destination.

LBD
16th April 2012, 13:41
can be hard work though :sweatdrop

Ooooo yea...Arthurs Pass when closed to vehicals without chains make for some very nervous riding and VERY cautious braking... The MOW guy who wanted to check if we had chains for our bikes was a little challenged...

sleemanj
16th April 2012, 13:52
The MOW guy who wanted to check if we had chains for our bikes was a little challenged...

http://dr650.zenseeker.net/Tires/ChainedGS.jpg

http://www.3d4you.de/images/ts_250/umbauten/kette1.jpg

JATZ
16th April 2012, 13:59
Ooooo yea...Arthurs Pass when closed to vehicals without chains make for some very nervous riding and VERY cautious braking... The MOW guy who wanted to check if we had chains for our bikes was a little challenged...

You should probably have a look at this RR.... http://www.adventureguide.co.nz/articles/12/121/west-coast-ride.php winter riding at it's best

FJRider
16th April 2012, 14:01

Chains on bikes have been fitted in NZ ...

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/127110-Motorbike-snow-chains

LBD
16th April 2012, 22:34
Okay....can I have tomato sauce with my hat when I eat it?