PDA

View Full Version : Honda CBF600N (2011) road test

Bob
2nd April 2012, 01:28
Sometimes I think Honda does it’s bikes a disservice. The CBF series is a great example. They were forced in our faces, as this appeared to be the way Honda wanted us to go motorcycling. Go to a show and there was the CBF range shoved up front, pushing the rest of the range into the background.

And being forced in someone else’s direction isn’t something that sits well with bikers; it is fair to say that we want to be different, hence our choice of machine. And us bike press are people too. So we don’t like being dictated to either. Which might explain some of the negative press aimed at the CBF range – and the 600s in particular.

Now I like challenging preconceptions, so the CBF600N (there is a faired ‘S’ version as well) is an ideal bike for me to try out. Is the CBF600 a dull, commuter bike? Or is it a no-frills, back-to-basics bike?

Click here to read the full review (http://www.bobpickett.co.uk/bkit/11cbf600n.htm)

The CBF600N doesn’t deserve all the negative press. It just needs to be judged on it’s own merits

SVboy
2nd April 2012, 10:01
I thought the cb would be an ideal "stealth" bike but it has got slated by Performance bikes for having budget suspension of the cheapest kind, which has not proved easy to improve.

Bob
3rd April 2012, 02:24
I thought the cb would be an ideal "stealth" bike but it has got slated by Performance bikes for having budget suspension of the cheapest kind, which has not proved easy to improve.

If you read my full road test, you'll see I address the suspension. It is set up pretty firm, which works fine most of the time but when I took the bike into the city centre (so roads that are roughed up by buses, pot-holes caused by too much traffic piling over manholes etc) it fed back every lump, bump and ripple. But, strangely, when I took it over a set of traffic calming ripples (that have the mirrors on my GSX650F vibrating like it has St Vito's Dance), it skipped over those with no issues at all. And it was fine when I was riding smaller, twisty backroads... though to be honest the road surface isn't bad on the test route I use.

You can't take this bike as being a 'performance bike'. It is a simple, back-to-basics machine that is built to a budget. As I said "It just needs to be judged on it’s own merits". If I owned something sporty that I wanted to cosset, and needed something every-day that can give them a spot of fun if the chance comes up, then the CBF600N is a cheap option.

Interesting to me is that it is replaced for 2012 by the NC700X (this is the one powered by half a Honda Jazz car engine!). I'm going to see if I can get a test ride of one, as I think it'll be interesting to ride.

SVboy
4th April 2012, 14:26
If you read my full road test, you'll see I address the suspension. It is set up pretty firm, which works fine most of the time but when I took the bike into the city centre (so roads that are roughed up by buses, pot-holes caused by too much traffic piling over manholes etc) it fed back every lump, bump and ripple. But, strangely, when I took it over a set of traffic calming ripples (that have the mirrors on my GSX650F vibrating like it has St Vito's Dance), it skipped over those with no issues at all. And it was fine when I was riding smaller, twisty backroads... though to be honest the road surface isn't bad on the test route I use.

You can't take this bike as being a 'performance bike'. It is a simple, back-to-basics machine that is built to a budget. As I said "It just needs to be judged on it’s own merits". If I owned something sporty that I wanted to cosset, and needed something every-day that can give them a spot of fun if the chance comes up, then the CBF600N is a cheap option.

Interesting to me is that it is replaced for 2012 by the NC700X (this is the one powered by half a Honda Jazz car engine!). I'm going to see if I can get a test ride of one, as I think it'll be interesting to ride.

Yes, I read you whole post-your findings back up what PB found. They tested it, looking for competence-rather than a true PB. They undertook a loot of suspension mods to try and rectify the shortcomings, but nothing reallly was satisfactory. In my opinion Hona has a history of building very good cheaper 600s such as the steelie cbr and first Hornet 600 but has dropped the ball with this bike, in the name of penny pinching.

blackdog
4th April 2012, 14:43
That NC700 looks the package. I would still buy a Tiger.

Bob
5th April 2012, 04:09
Yes, I read you whole post-your findings back up what PB found. They tested it, looking for competence-rather than a true PB. They undertook a loot of suspension mods to try and rectify the shortcomings, but nothing reallly was satisfactory. In my opinion Hona has a history of building very good cheaper 600s such as the steelie cbr and first Hornet 600 but has dropped the ball with this bike, in the name of penny pinching.

I've ridden a couple of more "budget" Honda bikes over the last few months - and I've found the suspension on them to be a bit of a Curate's Egg; they'll handle the tricky stuff well (like those traffic calming ripples), but screw up the easy stuff (like NOT being a pogo-stick on poorly surfaced town roads).

Blackdog mentions the NC700X - which is replacing the CBF600. I've seen one in the flesh - and it looks great. I want to try to organise a test ride. It doesn't have great top speed (120mph - about 180kmph?), but I've heard it has lashings of torque... so very much a real-world bike.

If this works, tne next challenge is to use the technology in more performance-oriented machinery. 78 miles per gallon and 180 miles per hour? Now that would be interesting!

actungbaby
5th April 2012, 10:12
yes i must admit i did read postive and negitive reviews mind you if you rode bikes back 80s like me any new bike whould

Seem awsome today. i think alot testers ride some many and for short amouts of time.

I rekon some bikes whould grow on you over time there true postives be reliablity low cost to run

less tiring to ride around town etc . i like the look of the cbr 600 f and made and designed in italy

Thansk for the review to read mate

The CBF600N doesn’t deserve all the negative press. It just needs to be judged on it’s own merits[/QUOTE]

actungbaby
5th April 2012, 10:21
Must say thought your review very good and balnced but still not like some reviews that get carried away everthing is great
or its all negtive and bike bland which is not fair as its very subjective view point.

The CBF600N doesn’t deserve all the negative press. It just needs to be judged on it’s own merits[/QUOTE]

pritch
7th April 2012, 10:41
The May issue of BIKE has a test of the NC700X. All their testers had to adapt to it. Not many people are accustomed to a 6,500RPM red line these days, and it is SLOW! On the other hand it handles nicely and judicious use of the throttle can yield nearly 90mpg.

Honda research indicates that most riders spend most of their time below 85mph and 6,500, and that fuel is expensive and likely to become more so. So the NC700 series may be bikes for the times, but it'll take a big attitude shift on the part of buyers.

In the UK the price is right, the manufacturing costs having been a design priority. Be interesting to see what BlueWing do with it - if they decide to bring it in at all.