PDA

View Full Version : Loctite 648 - flywheel

Latte
7th April 2012, 16:11
Have just about finished replacing the sprag on my RSV but need "loctite 648" for the flywheel (manual recomends for the bolts as well as between the crank and flywheel itself).

It's incredibly hard to find (for an amature like myself anyway) and bloody expensive - $100 for 50ml. I've matched an alternative (Permabond A118), but just as hard to find.

So my questions are...

Do i need to use this specific loctite for the flywheel - I think I can use a high temp threadlocker for the bolts, but not sure if I can get away with it foer the crank itself.

If I can use something else, what?

And does anyone have something suitable available this weekend, either the 648, or an alternative they'd be happy using. Glad to pay for it, but not really wanting to spend $100 for something I'll use once, then end up losing.

Cheers All

Madness
7th April 2012, 18:42
648 is a high strength retaining compound with fast cure. Not available in a 10ml bottle in N.Z unfortunately. 609 is a medium/high strength retaining compound and is available in a 10ml bottle. I'd stick with the reccomended product myself and FWIW $100 is a tad steep. Try SKF Bearings for a better price on Tuesday.

SS90
24th April 2012, 11:33
Welcome to the world of "user pays"..... Don't buy a perfomance bike if you can't afford the performance price that goes with it.

Paul in NZ
24th April 2012, 12:43
That $100 will seem awfully cheap if any of those bits let go at near redline.....

Latte
24th April 2012, 13:14
648 is a high strength retaining compound with fast cure. Not available in a 10ml bottle in N.Z unfortunately. 609 is a medium/high strength retaining compound and is available in a 10ml bottle. I'd stick with the reccomended product myself and FWIW $100 is a tad steep. Try SKF Bearings for a better price on Tuesday.

Thanks for the response, sorry I missed it at the time. I ended up finding a reseller that splits it up into smaller bottles so got it for a good price. But I'll keep SKF in mind (never thought to try a bearing outfit).

Madness
24th April 2012, 21:00
I ended up finding a reseller that splits it up into smaller bottles so got it for a good price.

Who was that? Glad you got it sorted.

Flip
24th April 2012, 21:02
I have a large bottle of it in my workshop. Pop down to the Meek St Man Cave some time.

Latte
24th April 2012, 21:12
Who was that? Glad you got it sorted.

Actually an rc hobby shop. They use it fr props on motors etc

Madness
24th April 2012, 21:16
This is KB at it's best. Your Aprilia RSV1000's flywheel is held onto the crankshaft using glue you bought from an RC model shop. Fucking gold.

Latte
24th April 2012, 21:27
This is KB at it's best. Your Aprilia RSV1000's flywheel is held onto the crankshaft using glue you bought from an RC model shop. Fucking gold.

When you put it like that :bleh:

I reckon as long as the bike doesn't see the receipt it'll never know the difference

Brian d marge
24th April 2012, 21:55
Its reccomened but depending on the design other fasting methods may work ..how is it held, straigh or tapered shaft is it a 4 cylinder or a single

Stephen

gatch
24th April 2012, 21:56
They recommend you glue the flywheel onto the taper ?

As well as bolt ?

Latte
24th April 2012, 21:59
Its reccomened but depending on the design other fasting methods may work ..how is it held, straigh or tapered shaft is it a 4 cylinder or a single

Stephen

Tapered shaft. V twin 60 deg so she's a bit lumpy. Ended up using rc car glue (f u Madness hehe) so it's all good now.

Latte
24th April 2012, 22:01

As well as bolt ?

Don't be silly. Rubber band and a bonnet pin.

Yeah a reasonably standard bolt arrangement, with the retaining compound as extra. They also specify it on the bolt threads itself.

Brian d marge
24th April 2012, 22:45

As well as bolt ?

Very loose tolerances , especially after those long lunches , Weld all round might be safer !

Stephen

Madness
24th April 2012, 22:47
4mm Low Hydrogen electrode. The greengrocers sell 'em loose :niceone:

Brian d marge
24th April 2012, 22:48
Tapered shaft. V twin 60 deg so she's a bit lumpy. Ended up using rc car glue (f u Madness hehe) so it's all good now.

lapp the taper to the flywheel , PROPERLY , then with a good key and groove use a heat resistant loctite on the bolts , you shouldnt need any on the taper ..( well u could , would be fun to remove ! )

Stephen

gatch
25th April 2012, 01:14
lapp the taper to the flywheel , PROPERLY , then with a good key and groove use a heat resistant loctite on the bolts , you shouldnt need any on the tater ..( well u could , would be fun to remove ! )

Stephen

Those loctite retaining glues are strong ! As an experiment, we used loctite 680 to fix a sprocket onto a 30mm shaft. 0.1mm clearance. No other locking devices. Even with the impact loads and vibration it hasn't failed. The teeth will wear out before it does. Amazing stuff.

Latte
25th April 2012, 08:31
4mm Low Hydrogen electrode. The greengrocers sell 'em loose :niceone:

Really should have kept my mouth shut eh :-)

Latte
25th April 2012, 08:35
lapp the taper to the flywheel , PROPERLY , then with a good key and groove use a heat resistant loctite on the bolts , you shouldnt need any on the tater ..( well u could , would be fun to remove ! )

Stephen

Aprilia manual states "using of the hot air to release flywheel" - either 5-10 minutes with a propane torch or an oxy set till it turns brown, the 648 needs 250 degrees to release.

Brian d marge
25th April 2012, 12:48
Those loctite retaining glues are strong ! As an experiment, we used loctite 680 to fix a sprocket onto a 30mm shaft. 0.1mm clearance. No other locking devices. Even with the impact loads and vibration it hasn't failed. The teeth will wear out before it does. Amazing stuff.
Its amazing isnt it , concidering how it works ....the truth be told ,,,Im a loctite nut ! ( pun intended !)

Stephen