PDA

View Full Version : Hello and thank you (the novel)

mellowyellow
9th April 2012, 08:11
Hi, i'm new to bikes but not to forums.
Thank you to these forums. While i have been looking into getting a good learner bike, google kept pointing me here for most questions i had in regards to gear, bikes, safety concerns and just general random crap. this place has helped me alot as a guest.

As i had learnt from these forums, my ride was not actually the crusier i had always dreamed of, but a sport bike. for me, being able to corner and brake like a noob was important to me.
I learnt that a yamaha scorpio would be a great learner bike, i also leant that even if you cant test ride a bike (too noobish to ride/drop a bike I dont own) so i sat on the scorpio and the Hyosung GT250P (just a naked R). both were comfortable, the hyosung (hobag) directed my line of sight towards the speedo, rear view mirrors and everything infront of me. the neutral position scorpio offered no direction. i was sitting up straight free to become lost in my surroundings. i figure the hobag is like having blinders on a horse.

Apparently looks isnt everything either, to be seen looking good is one thing, to always be seen no matter what is most important.
So when i found a yellow Hyosung GT250R, i figured yellow may not look as good as black or red but atleast it can be seen easier.
after looking through these forums, i learnt what to expect from a hobag. dodgy digital clock/speedo, crap tires and brake pads and a sore butt. seems like a good kinda bike to me, tires and pads can be changed, who needs a clock when you can buy a wrist watch and most jap import cars speedo's are out by 10Km/r at 100km/h anyway. not like they are plagued with engine, handling, brake issues.
also read here that the type of gear can be extremely important in both comfort/concentration and safety while sliding. so i bought full textile gear and a fibreglass helmet (with built in sunglasses) instead of buying a cheap plastc lid and a second hand jacket. the mastercard ad comes to mind "second hand jacket $70, cheapest helmet you can find $99, sneakers and jeans $100. medical costs to replace lost skin, head injury and a shattered shoulder due to sunstrike, causing you to drop the bike on a corner and sliding 40mtrs into a parked car, far more than any mastercard limit that you will ever dream to obtain now:gob:

Thanks to this forum, i bought the yellow hobag on friday (hence the choosen nickname). it has a dodgy clock, newish pirelli sport demon tires, brakes work and after a few adjustments, a comfortable riding position has been obtained (as suggested, i adjusted the clutch/brake levers so my hands are straight with my fore arm, hug the tank at 50km, sit back and lower when above 50km, watch i dont have a death grip or place too much weight on the hands, move hands around on the bars to help increase blood flow and hug the bike so most of my weight is in the knees/feet, straight back helps with this), and a oil leak from the crankcase. all in all a good bike for me.

i found the workshop manual and user manual on the forums, i now know how to change the clock (which just resets to 12:00 when the keys are turned off :facepalm: ) and i know not to atempt to repair the leak by replacing the gasket. a full engine stripdown doesnt sound like a whole lot of fun. hi-temp silicon and a wire brush to clog a slow leak makes more sense for now.

so thanks guys, i've been out and ridden for about 4 hours so far, bikes well ballanced, handles well and allows me to stuff up without dumping me on the ground i.e. pushing down with the left foot to change gear (15 yrs driving cars and now i have to learn the left foot isnt for the clutch anymore;) )
i must say though, i never read anywhere that to steer a bike, you dont actually "steer" the bike. you look where you want to go (not where you dont), lean alittle, push alittle on the handle bars to start the turn but then push a wee bit on the opposite side handle bar during the turn so as to drop the bike alittle more and make the turn at a faster than walking pace speed. the handling course speeds allow you to control the bike by steering it, i find going 50+Km/h requires bike manipulation, not so much straight forward control.
I say this becuase i found it quite a suprise how much you CANNOT compare riding a motorbike to riding a push bike or driving a car. i have some friends that ride bikes, they are the ones that are now giving me little tips on riding and surviving.

I am absolutly loving it, i have a lot to learn and alot to give back to these forums. not looking forward to the day i drop the bike, but i understand its not IF, its WHEN. another reason i love my cheap yellow hobag:wacko:

Maha
9th April 2012, 08:24
Thanks for reminding me, I have been meaning to change the time on the bike clock, its still showing daylight savings time.

iYRe
9th April 2012, 09:05
I cant even be bothered.. lol

GrayWolf
9th April 2012, 14:40
Good first post Yellow,
what is nice to see is you have gone out and bought the right bike for you, rather than succumb to the FXGSRR..20,000rpm screamer is the best all else are shit, mentality.
There are those who will 'bag' the hyobag... and those who have owned them and covered some decent K's during ownership.
Reality is it is faster than the 'fast' 250's my age group learnt on, has better handling, brakes, lights etc.
Enjoy, and you may just keep it as a commuter hack when you go full licence...

avgas
9th April 2012, 15:17
Consider yourself lucky I went car-bike-car and my conclusion currently is H pattern gearbox makes no sense. Give me up-down gearboxes any day.

As for the the 'look where you want to go' I have been preaching it here for years. But think there is some here who believe it is kind of magical science to countersteering more than the fact that it actually comes naturally when you stop trying to turn the bike in the same direction and start leaning it.
As for it being different from riding a pushbike, you can actually ride a push-bike this way.......and at speeds over 40 kph it is recommended.

mellowyellow
9th April 2012, 16:04
Good first post Yellow,
what is nice to see is you have gone out and bought the right bike for you
i was originally looking at buying a suzuki intruder. looks nice, feels good, wheres the speedo? i'd feel like a noddy dog from looking down at the gas tank so often. it was then i started searching here to see if it was an issue, i then found out the crusier style isnt really so forgiving on the corners or braking.

As for it being different from riding a pushbike, you can actually ride a push-bike this way.......and at speeds over 40 kph it is recommended. that would explain why i find steering a push-bike different to riding a motorbike. the only way i'd be reaching speeds of 40+km/h is if i were shunted from behind, down a hill and with the wind at my back.
I do think making the bike go where you NEED it to go is probably the hardest part of riding. the less i think about what i'm actually doing and the more i relax, the more fluid the movement seems to become.

went for another ride today, starting to feel more natural.
did a speedo test today, seems the speedo is out 1km/h @ 50km/h, i'm pretty sure i can live with that ;)
got home and pulled apart the digital speedo, found what looks to be a very flat (discharged) Li battery soldered to the PCB. i'm going to have it replaced and see if that fixes the clock fault. should only cost me about $50 for an appliance repair guy to replace it. that just leaves the oil leak to sort out.

Number One
9th April 2012, 16:12
Great reading about your journey into riding through your use of KB.

There are some neat people here :) never mind the douches...that includes me sometimes ;)

FJRider
9th April 2012, 16:23
Thanks for reminding me, I have been meaning to change the time on the bike clock, its still showing daylight savings time.

I just changed mine today too .... ;)

Maha
9th April 2012, 16:34
I just changed mine today too .... ;)

Wouldn't have thought there be a need down there ...aren't you people always ahead of everyone else? :chase:

FJRider
9th April 2012, 18:19
Wouldn't have thought there be a need down there ...aren't you people always ahead of everyone else? :chase:

But it's nice to know ... just how far ahead ... :laugh:

Number One
9th April 2012, 18:36
Dear oh dear - wrong thread response! Lol

nzspokes
9th April 2012, 18:37
I would suggest watching the Twist of the Wrist DVD. Worth while watch for newbis.

iYRe
9th April 2012, 18:51
I hit 74.6 kmh today on my push bike, down a windy road.. I had to use all the motorcycle skills I have an more (for a start, the brakes dont actually work at that kinda speed)

You're right about the intruder, the speedo is right where the front bottom bit of my helmet is, so I have to move to see it. So I use an app called "Ulysses Speedometer" to make it easier.

The quandry this weekend has been: 104kmh on the speedo (95 on the GPS), or 104 on the GPS (118 on the speedo).
I went with the GPS :P

mellowyellow
10th April 2012, 18:42
The quandry this weekend has been: 104kmh on the speedo (95 on the GPS), or 104 on the GPS (118 on the speedo).
I went with the GPS :P
to be honest, i'd go with the speedo, not coz its right, but coz its wrong.

fixed the clock today, ripped apart the speedo last night, looked at the PCB, figured out whats wrong but found replacement parts aren't available.... ever. could have it custom made but meh. so i designed and built a replacement part, installed it and now the clock keeps time!! little too excited?
also cut the green wire on the CDI. revs better, no doubt it'll run better too then.
tighten the chain and im good to go again. will be out on the road again soon, if you want to stay clear of me, stay off the footpath :crazy: