PDA

View Full Version : Trapster - the great cop warning system (maybe)

Timber020
9th April 2012, 21:37
So while assaulting arthurs pass a few times, I got to thinking that it would be great to make an app that would let other like minded responsible riders where compulsory taxation points were located. Turns out there is a system. www.trapster.com works on various smart phones and gps units. And its free to download.

If its any good, its the one reason I have found to want a smartphone (although of course it needs reception I guess)

Anyone here used it or know anything about it? Im kinda suprised I havent heard of it before although its had very light mention in a few threads.

Spearfish
9th April 2012, 21:58
So while assaulting arthurs pass a few times, I got to thinking that it would be great to make an app that would let other like minded responsible riders where compulsory taxation points were located. Turns out there is a system. www.trapster.com (http://www.trapster.com) works on various smart phones and gps units. And its free to download.

If its any good, its the one reason I have found to want a smartphone (although of course it needs reception I guess)

Anyone here used it or know anything about it? Im kinda suprised I havent heard of it before although its had very light mention in a few threads.

Policing from an office?
police will never need directed patrols again...

scumdog
9th April 2012, 22:04
Harumph, I bet I can tell there's a cop around well before any new-fangled gizmo like 'Trapster' can..:whistle:

Gremlin
9th April 2012, 22:36
Harumph, I bet I can tell there's a cop around well before any new-fangled gizmo like 'Trapster' can..:whistle:
Well sure, but your radios are encrypted now :whistle:

blackdog
9th April 2012, 22:40
Remind me how, when riding a stretch of road I am supposed to read notifications from my phone again?

Timber020
10th April 2012, 07:44
Remind me how, when riding a stretch of road I am supposed to read notifications from my phone again?

Same way I do with my detector, an ear piece or you could get a warning siren fitted.

nzspokes
10th April 2012, 07:51

Easy, http://www.topeak.com/products/Bags/phone_drybag_bk . You can keep up with your txt's as well. :jerry:

scumdog
10th April 2012, 08:25
Easy, http://www.topeak.com/products/Bags/phone_drybag_bk . You can keep up with your txt's as well. :jerry:

I thought one of the major points of riding was to get away from 'txts' and other distracting shit in life that you don't really need??:blink:

Otherwise you might as well drive a car - or stay at home...

rastuscat
10th April 2012, 08:27

Ka-ching!! $80.

rastuscat
10th April 2012, 08:30
Just watched the demo vid. Looks like quite a good idea.

I'll download it on the work smartphone and start creating false checkpoints. It'll slow users down without costing anyone anything.

Lateral thinking anyone?

Tigadee
10th April 2012, 08:37
I'll download it on the work smartphone and start creating false checkpoints. It'll slow users down without costing anyone anything.

:facepalm: Who's the genius who posted this up and let the Man know about it? :facepalm:

scumdog
10th April 2012, 08:38
Just watched the demo vid. Looks like quite a good idea.

Lateral thinking anyone?

And I'll back you up by randomly flashing my headlights at oncoming trafffic - regardless if a cop is nearby or not...:woohoo:

oneofsix
10th April 2012, 08:43
And I'll back you up by randomly flashing my headlights at oncoming trafffic - regardless if a cop is nearby or not...:woohoo:

But if you are the one flashing your headlights there will be a cop near by :shutup: :corn:

I flash my headlights for road hazards and research has shown speed traps to be hazards :shutup: :laugh:

Scuba_Steve
10th April 2012, 08:44
:facepalm: Who's the genius who posted this up and let the Man know about it? :facepalm:

Don't worry he'll give it up soon enough when the donut fund dies down :lol:

and you'll be able to keep up with your quotas KPI's at the same time by writing yourself "misuse of headlight" tickets. It's a win-win :innocent:

scumdog
10th April 2012, 08:45
But if you are the one flashing your headlights there will be a cop near by :shutup: :corn:

I flash my headlights for road hazards and research has shown speed traps to be hazards :shutup: :laugh:

I concur.

I see approaching motorists as hazards.

Without them you can't have head-on crashes.:innocent:

oneofsix
10th April 2012, 08:50
I concur.

I see approaching motorists as hazards.

Without them you can't have head-on crashes.:innocent:

I understand company is hard to find down there but that's a bit of an extreme way to meet people, you need some WRB to keep you apart. :whistle:

Flip
10th April 2012, 09:49
I have a 26mHz CB radio in the sidecar, just use channel 11 and ask the truckies where the Rozza are hiding, they will tell you.

iYRe
10th April 2012, 09:55
FWIW, there is an app called WAZE - its an established app that has a lot of users. It not only has the opportunity to report speed traps, and cameras, but accidents, hazards, and auto reports traffic jams, and even can do navigation.

Ixion
10th April 2012, 20:14
Well, the author checks out OK, they're not spammers or scammers.

So I've downloaded and installed.

Seems OK, doesn't drain the battery much ( though I wouldn't be worried anyway since I can recharge as I ride).

However, it doesn't do much of anything either. Locally, I know where the speed cameras and hiding places are, and there don't seem to be enough local subscribers to make the mobile cop thing work.

In unknown country, could be more useful.

It's OK just as a GPS so it's useful anyway.

DrunkenMistake
10th April 2012, 20:21
Ill be that guy...

Dont speed and you wont need any kind of app or detector... :yawn:

All seriousness though, I have just got back from a big trip today and I let the grip twist a bit further than I should have and at a license losing speed an approaching police car gave me a flash of lights and a wag of a finger,
Turns out those greedy little money hoarding, revenue gathering pricks are human after all.... ;)

Old Steve
10th April 2012, 20:23

I thought bikers rotated their left hand, index finger extended, above their head in imitation of a police car beacon as a warning of speed traps ahead.

I ride with my light on high beam, so I'd have to switch it to low beam and I don't think oncoming bikers would undertsand that message. And for those who say that a high beam main light will aggrevate car drivers, I say that if they're aggrevated then at least they've seen me!

caspernz
11th April 2012, 12:00
Ill be that guy...

Dont speed and you wont need any kind of app or detector... :yawn:

All seriousness though, I have just got back from a big trip today and I let the grip twist a bit further than I should have and at a license losing speed an approaching police car gave me a flash of lights and a wag of a finger,
Turns out those greedy little money hoarding, revenue gathering pricks are human after all.... ;)

No speeding is a well-known preventative cure for ticket blues, not universally welcomed by bikers though.

It's cool getting the finger waggle instead of marching orders when you get sprung though...:shutup:

I can't get on my soapbox and proclaim to be immune from a bit of speeding now and then :facepalm:

ducatilover
11th April 2012, 12:36

You mean Scummy and Rastus are...
Noooo, not possible, Scummy has one of them Hurleys, humans don't buy them.

Or is it a clever cover?

Scummy, are you an undercover human-o-cop?

Insanity_rules
11th April 2012, 22:45
Trapster is the business. I may or may not have been using it for a while :innocent: