PDA

View Full Version : '05 Triumph Speed Triple

Marknz
27th July 2005, 21:44
Hi Team,

I've been reading some really good reviews of the new Trumpy Speed Triple in the local and Aussie mags lately. Has anyone on here actually ridden one yet and like to share their experience. I might just have to call WMC and see if they have a tester... I can see this being the replacement for the 'Storm.

Big Dave
27th July 2005, 22:05
The Devil Inside
Triumph Speed Triple
Kiwi Rider Magazine - May '05

http://www.davidcohen.co.nz/speed3/index.htm

Wasn't me - it was the bike.

2 days it took. Two x 24 hour time spans and this motorcycle turned me into a 'hooligan'.

'Take the smooth line, ride fast - but do it smoothly' was always my mantra. The first day the 2005 Triumph Speed Triple was in my possession, 'Smooth Dave' prevailed. Lines were neat, take offs restrained and road demeanour impeccable.

Then the feeling of balance that comes from the bike's naked form, upright ergos, flat bars, punchy and immediate power delivery, quick steering and sharp as a tack handling had me reaching into a long disused bag of tricks. Wheelstands, stoppies and general dart-about-here-and-there-simply-because-I-can behaviour ensued in a Jekyll and Hyde like performance. And what bloody great fun it was too!

As much fun as the Speed Triple is around the city, it also proved to be a more than capable sports scratcher on run through the Hunuas and Bombay Hills.

I feared the steepness of the rake and the quickness of steering that makes city carving such a delight, might in some way compromise open road manners, but such concerns were unfounded as handling at open road speeds remained impeccable. The naked form also feels like you are going much faster than the equivalent speed on a fully faired machine.

Not to say that the new 1050 won't charge with the best of them, but the Speed triple is quite rewarding to ride at speeds where 'instant disqualification' isn't an issue too.

The Nissin radial brakes stop the bike superbly with excellent feedback, and if you feel the desire to send the back wheel rearward, just grab a handful and squeeze. Delightful.

Styling is an evolution of the Speed Triple line with its bulbous twin headlights and minimalist everything else and it's all delivered in a package that screams 'irresponsible -and loving it'.

------------

'sawot I wrote - most immediate power delivery of any hinckley Trumpet is what I say. Twist and gooooooooooooo

Zapf
28th July 2005, 18:07
nice photos.... but 1 question... is the front tire mounted the right way? or am I just :weird:

Marknz
28th July 2005, 19:01
So you didn't like it too much then Dave?

:innocent:

Gotta do something about that plate carrier... that just stuffs the whole things up. Like that colour too, that'd be my choice

Big Dave
28th July 2005, 20:22
So you didn't like it too much then Dave?

:innocent:

Gotta do something about that plate carrier... that just stuffs the whole things up. Like that colour too, that'd be my choice

yuh - my mate dave has made a carbon fibre hugger and ripped all that stuff off the back (it unbolts) - led indicators and looks hot. Blue one.

Big Dave
29th July 2005, 03:31
nice photos.... but 1 question... is the front tire mounted the right way? or am I just :weird:

yes! - you're :weird:

Blackbird
31st July 2005, 17:49
The June issue of Performance Bikes has got several pages devoted to the Speed Triple. It's the only bike that does it for me other than the Blackbird.