PDA

View Full Version : Looking for mechanic - Christchurch

elemunk
11th April 2012, 16:00
Hi all,

My chch based mechanic is jumping the gap over to aus so I am looking for a new one for my Honda Magna crusier, Figured this would be a good place to start, Needs to be able to grant WOF's and would be a bonus if able to pick up/drop off bike, I generally like to support the 'little guy' and steer clear of the larger chains.

Any suggestions?

Cheers.

Oakie
11th April 2012, 19:33
Which part of Ch do you live in and who is the mechanic who is leaving. (Hope it's not mine)

elemunk
11th April 2012, 21:39
Am in Richmond, and it's Doc Holliday.

Oakie
11th April 2012, 22:42
Hmmm. Roger in New Brighton is the man you want. Look up 'Road and Race Motorcycles'. (He's the old 'Just Motorcycles' spanner man.)

jim.cox
12th April 2012, 07:52
Oh Bugger,

Doc's a great guy

Looks like I'll have to find somewhere else that likes giving WoF's to old ducatis...

bingslayer
12th April 2012, 18:34
+1 for Roger

Good guy, good price, good service and wont rip you off eg... my bike wouldn't start via the button but would push start. I left it with him and he found a plug that looked tight but needed a push to connect properly.

A lot of mechs would have spun me a story and charged me for nothing (especially with my Loser plate attached) but Roger explained the problem and gave the bike back to me free of charge.

Honesty goes a long way in this business

Oakie
12th April 2012, 20:12
+1 for Roger

Good guy, good price, good service and wont rip you off eg... my bike wouldn't start via the button but would push start. I left it with him and he found a plug that looked tight but needed a push to connect properly.

A lot of mechs would have spun me a story and charged me for nothing (especially with my Loser plate attached) but Roger explained the problem and gave the bike back to me free of charge.

Honesty goes a long way in this business

Funny. Exactly the same thing happened to me today. I took it to Trevor Pierce as their shop is on my way home and Roger is away. He diagnosed it and fixed it in short order at no charge. That'll earn repeat business although I'll still use Roger for convenience as he's only a few minutes from home (and he's really good). Oh. problem was the clutch cut out had come loose. I did the obvious stuff but didn't think of that.

Glowerss
12th April 2012, 21:56
Does ChCH have any "roaming mechanics" for lack of a better term that'll check a bike over? In Auck we have George the motorcycle doctor who will go to the bike to do a prepurchase check. Hes pretty spectacular.

Looking at buying a bike down there and having it shipped up to Auckland. Be a bit expensive to check it out meself :)

Muppet
13th April 2012, 17:28
Me and a lot of my bike riding workmates and friends, go to Jimmy Tunnicliffe, Barvaran Motorcycle Services. He used to work at Canty Rides before they went bust, is now working form home after a short stint in partnership with another guy. Calls a spade a spade, good bastard!

The Lone Rider
14th April 2012, 19:48
What needs to be done on the bike? I've worked on many of those magnas, both the VT250C and the VF750C.

Getting a WOF nothing special, heaps of places that can do that - not many that can or will pick up and drop off.

Places that can pick up and drop off will either charge out, or it'll be on their time schedule (not yours). The first and only time I've had a pick up it cost me $50 and was no more than 10 blocks away.

At that rate it's cheaper to take in on your own, even if you have to rent a trailer 'cuz the bike is broken down.

orangeback
15th April 2012, 09:23
Me and a lot of my bike riding workmates and friends, go to Jimmy Tunnicliffe, Barvaran Motorcycle Services. He used to work at Canty Rides before they went bust, is now working form home after a short stint in partnership with another guy. Calls a spade a spade, good bastard!

i'll second that

elemunk
16th April 2012, 15:50
You guys got any contact details/website or address for Jimmy Tunnicliffe? tried to get in touch with Roger from Road & Race Motorcycle re: this thread but have been unable to contact him.

Re: the work that needs done, at this stage just a new Rear Tyre and a WOF should do it but my starter motor has been know to throw fits from time to time.

Oakie
16th April 2012, 19:02
i'll second that

Did he also work at Sportzone?

orangeback
16th April 2012, 22:39
You guys got any contact details/website or address for Jimmy Tunnicliffe? tried to get in touch with Roger from Road & Race Motorcycle re: this thread but have been unable to contact him.

Re: the work that needs done, at this stage just a new Rear Tyre and a WOF should do it but my starter motor has been know to throw fits from time to time.
hes in oz on holiday , back in a week or so

orangeback
16th April 2012, 22:40
Did he also work at Sportzone?

yip, thats a long time ago