PDA

View Full Version : MAG launches campaign for Motorcycle Friendly Crash Barriers in UK

Bob
28th July 2005, 03:03
The Motorcycle Action Group (MAG) has launched a campaign for the fitment of Motorcycle Friendly Crash Barriers.

MAG seeks to have crash barriers tested for motorcyclists and motorcycles within European standards, the fitting of motorcycle-friendly secondary rails in identified
danger spots and the removal of wire road barrier systems from the UK roads.

Director Of Public Affairs Trevor Baird said “Of all road furniture crash barriers pose the greatest threat to motorcyclists and we need to make planners aware of this.”

Under current European Standards, crash barriers are not designed to restrain motorcycles or motorcyclists, being typically designed to guide and restrain errant vehicles, ranging from small cars to heavy goods vehicles.

Waylander
28th July 2005, 03:05
Wonder what the odds are of something like that happening and succeeding here.

Lou Girardin
28th July 2005, 09:01
Wonder what the odds are of something like that happening and succeeding here.
It could happen if we had a lobby group.

Devil
28th July 2005, 09:20
Yeh, I was about to say it would require people actually doing something about it.

ManDownUnder
28th July 2005, 09:35
Yeh, I was about to say it would require people actually doing something about it.

OK - I know the Minister of Transport safety (a nice guy but tends to be SEVERELY BOUND by party "guidelines"

How about someone here finds 3 or 4 studies that demonstrate the effectiveness of the various crash barriers, and the damage others do. Mail them through to me, or give me links so I can PDF them up.

I'll word up a submission to the Minister (and the opposition Minister etc) and put the case to them for consideration. I'll post it here to start with to make sure I don't miss (or misinterpret) anything

If memory serves, the wire barriers that are currently being installed are some of the worst/most lethal for motorcyclists?

MDU

Big Dave
28th July 2005, 10:13

Never been a lobbyist - I prefer Foyers.

Ixion
28th July 2005, 11:46
So everybody join BRONZ ($20 I think). And we'll go along en masse to the AGM later this month and do a take over. Instant lobby group, just needs some balls added

Bob
28th July 2005, 20:54
OK - I know the Minister of Transport safety (a nice guy but tends to be SEVERELY BOUND by party "guidelines"

How about someone here finds 3 or 4 studies that demonstrate the effectiveness of the various crash barriers, and the damage others do. Mail them through to me, or give me links so I can PDF them up.

I'll word up a submission to the Minister (and the opposition Minister etc) and put the case to them for consideration. I'll post it here to start with to make sure I don't miss (or misinterpret) anything

If memory serves, the wire barriers that are currently being installed are some of the worst/most lethal for motorcyclists?

MDU

OK, take a look at the following link, which takes you to FEMA's (the European Federation of Motorcyclists) report on the subject:

http://www.fema.kaalium.com/crashbarrier/index.html

FEMA's work is what MAG's UK based campaign draws heavily from, so it should give you a good base to work from.

Good luck and hope you get somewhere with this.

SixPackBack
28th July 2005, 21:55
I stare in abject fear at the wire ropes on the highway north of Albany....fuck they are EVIL, if they were concrete, you would bounce off, but wire you know you are going to lose a limb if you as much as look at them :mad:

Bob
29th July 2005, 00:52
Another possibly useful link - this time to MAG's document on the subject, so it will be more UK specific:

http://www.network.mag-uk.org/crashbarriers2005/MAGcrashbarrier2005.pdf

tl_tub
29th July 2005, 07:38
Why not another protest ride to parliment? Who will ride up the stairs though??

Pathos
29th July 2005, 11:24
It could happen here, its PC to promote health and safety and wrap people in cotton wool. All you need are some gruesome pictures and fatality stats.

StoneChucker
29th July 2005, 14:42
I can safely say - We NEED motorcycle friendly "crash" barriers

thehollowmen
29th July 2005, 16:11
I'm going to write some letters to the govt types that I know about this.

This sounds like a good idea.