PDA

View Full Version : New Yammies

wkid_one
24th December 2003, 10:13
It may not be big, but it sure as hell is clever. Yes, say hello to Yamaha's new WR250F enduro bike. Launched, in more ways than one, at the excellent Yamaha off-road Experience in mid Wales recently, we were very impressed by the WR250F and very intimidated by the WR450F. Basically it would take more of a man than the mouse we sent to the launch to ride the radically revised WR450F but those who can tell us it's awesome.

For those unfamiliar with such things, an enduro bike has lights (unlike a motocross bike) which means you can ride it on the road – which, yes, makes it a practical beast. Best news for the weak of leg is that both feature electric starter buttons, so your days of kicking and flailing away in the middle of a bog are over. You can even drop the bike in a river of cold Welsh water and it will start first time. We know, we tried it.

Both 250 and 450 bikes have engines derived from the motocross power plants, although they have been revised considerably – new cylinder, longer stroke, titanium valves, a new forged piston and fuel remap all feature.
The devil is, as ever, in the details and there are too many to list here but there's a stack of revisions on everything from the fuel tank, exhaust, sidestand, a new frame, new subframe, a shorter wheelbase, a flatter seat made from three different materials to improve comfort and grip and on and on...and the bikes are lighter too. Claimed weight is 112kg for the 450 and 105kg for the 250. Try http://www.yamaha.co.uk for more pics and info or 01932 358000 for a local stockst.

merv
24th December 2003, 16:34
Basically these are the ones that have been in NZ since the beginning of the year and they only get minor changes for 2004. We get Aussie spec ones that are fully road legal. Went into Sawyers today and they have a WR450 on display. I'd buy one if my legs were longer or they could get the seat down from its stratospheric 998mm height.

So I'm shopping around looking at other bikes that are lower to the ground.

XRNR
24th December 2003, 20:15
Went into Sawyers today and they have a WR450 on display. I'd buy one if my legs were longer or they could get the seat down from its stratospheric 998mm height.

I thought you would be sweet on a dirtbike, like a jockey on a horse. No hitting your feet on the ground when they come off the pegs and loads of leg room when cornering.
I guess starting off might be tricky, but legging it through ruts would be perfect!