PDA

View Full Version : Pinlock

Maha
19th April 2012, 14:11
This whole tinted/clear visor thing...not hard to swap over but, carrying the extra can be a pain at times.
I will normally just choose either depending on how I feel.

Late afternoon it will be the clear (dont wear sunny's anymore)..or during the day, the tinted.
If I know I will be out past dusk, the delema sets in...now I need the rack n pack...
My helmet is Pinlock ready so...
Thought is to get a tinted Pinlock and use thatcoupled with the clear visor...no more visor swapping, plus easier to slot into a pocket if the moon comes out.
Anyone else do this?

BoristheBiter
19th April 2012, 14:25
I can't say I have even considered it as the pinlock is designed not to be removed once fitted except for cleaning.
Yes I know that you can but if it gets scratches and dirt while being in you pocket, or backpack.
Also as it is now getting colder I would think it would be more beneficial to have the pinlock in at night.

The Pastor
19th April 2012, 14:26
Sunnies in the pocket?

Maha
19th April 2012, 14:47
I can't say I have even considered it as the pinlock is designed not to be removed once fitted except for cleaning.
Yes I know that you can but if it gets scratches and dirt while being in you pocket, or backpack.
Also as it is now getting colder I would think it would be more beneficial to have the pinlock in at night.

Two pinlocks..a tinted and a clear.
I always keep my spare visor in a cloth anyway.
In two minds really, I can only but test the theory.
I have black insulation tape on the top of both visors which works extremely well riding into the sun.

Sunnies in the pocket?

No longer keen on wearing sunny's on the inside, I could always see the rim or they would move a bit etc..

chasio
19th April 2012, 14:54

Tend to agree with this. I have taken mine out for cleaning and a small amount of the sealing bead remained attached to the visor, suggesting that repeated removal would eventually render the seal useless.

Pinlock do a photocromic type insert (they call it protectint - link here (http://www.pinlockshop.co.uk/pl/pinlock-new-products)), although only for certain brands of helmet. But my experience with glasses featuring this is that they are heat as well as light sensitive, but not necessarily as you would wish. That is, the colder they are, the darker they will go and the slower they will lighten up (and vice versa if warm). This is not always what you want. :eek:

If you don't want to fit luggage or to wear one of these spare visor waist bags (http://www.cycletreads.co.nz/products/272-road_helmet_accessories_and_pa/1301-oxford_stowaway_visor_carrier.aspx), sunnies FTW.

Maha
19th April 2012, 14:58
Theres an idea...thanks Neil, a visor bum bag....or I could just put the spare visor in Anne's bag...:shifty:

chasio
19th April 2012, 15:01
Theres an idea...thanks Neil, a visor bum bag....or I could just put the spare visor in Anne's bag...:shifty:

Welcome. Just remember how option 2 requires not to annoy your partner (I will not write pack-horse, not at all, never, ever) just before dusk... :)

Maha
19th April 2012, 15:07
Welcome. Just remember how option 2 requires not to annoy your partner (I will not write pack-horse, not at all, never, ever) just before dusk... :)

Hahaha..yeah point taken, Anne always has her rack on for work anyway...so throwing a bag on isn't an issue, which we normally do when we are out together.

Pinlocks can be removed but just how many times before the silicone seal naffs out? who knows?

http://www.pinlockshop.co.uk/pl/pinlock-information

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bNZndb1uTAc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Maha
19th April 2012, 15:14
Now this a pretty cool idea.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9QU2GNPrvb4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Website...http://e-tintproducts.com/visor-inserts-ezp-34.html
US$130

The Pastor
19th April 2012, 15:15
Buy helmet with sun visor.

Maha
19th April 2012, 15:24
Buy helmet with sun visor.

Did you miss this bit Scott? I have black insulation tape on the top of both visors which works extremely well riding into the sun.

I suppose you could argue, why dont you just stick with that?
I am just enquiring as to the possibilty of an idea that popped up and few days ago.

HenryDorsetCase
19th April 2012, 15:31
I just swapped to clear visor with clear pinlock for winter. I use prescription sunnies under it. the surface of teh pinlock is very soft and apt to pick up dust and scratches and stuff. easy recipe to bugger it if taking it off and on all the time I reckon. Interesting to see how you get on.

SMOKEU
19th April 2012, 15:44
I don't see any point in having a tinted visor. I wear sunglasses when I ride during the day, and when it gets dark, I just put the sunnies in my pocket or glovebox and it's all good. The sunglasses are very comfortable, even at speeds exceeding 200kmh, on a "race track" of course.

Fast Eddie
19th April 2012, 16:06
tinted visors are about looking fucking cool. end of story..

too many pussies on bikes these days. hi viz this, clear visor that, atgatt my hat..

Bassmatt
19th April 2012, 16:18
tinted visors are about looking fucking cool. end of story..

too many pussies on bikes these days. hi viz this, clear visor that, atgatt my hat..

Yeah man, fuckin' A :Punk:

Asher
19th April 2012, 16:25
I stash a clear visor in the fairings between the forks and headlight if i think i will be out after dusk.
Although not everyones bikes will have room to do this

The Pastor
19th April 2012, 17:52
Did you miss this bit Scott? I have black insulation tape on the top of both visors which works extremely well riding into the sun.

I suppose you could argue, why dont you just stick with that?
I am just enquiring as to the possibilty of an idea that popped up and few days ago.

yeah but you wont look as cool, and you wont get all the LADIES