PDA

View Full Version : Geoff the giant small bike

Pages : [1] 2 3

ducatilover
19th April 2012, 15:00
Right, I know you're all jealous and hanging out for pictures of the incredible Geoff.
Well, here we go:

Obviously I already started polishing everything.

Geoff cost me a whopping $665.
What I've done?
Gave the beast a wash.
Polished the front rim, guard and clutch cover, started polishing the stator cover.
Carb clean, float level, set the carb up.
Valve clearances.
Oil change.
A skid.
Font brake stripped/cleaned/bled.
Chain clean/adjustment.

What I'm going to do:
Polish everything...
Get rid of that giant tail light
Might bob it...
Might even go with a bare metal tank?
Get rid of the tacho, don't need it.
Might rig up some simpler idiot lights, the original GN stuff is uber big and stupid.
Throw the exhaust down a cliff.
Another skid?
I want a dirty sprung seat and white walls, just for teh lulz. :shifty:

I really love wire wheels.

bogan
19th April 2012, 15:32
I've just noticed something, that headlight looks almost exactly the same as the one on the ZZR! :dodge:

Reckon we need proof of that skid, I don't beleive you :nya:

GSF
19th April 2012, 15:43
Is it a Chinese-made Ginny? I'm always amazed at how the cases on a mid-2000s GN250 can have the worst alloy cancer I've ever seen. How fucked were yours to start with?

Get the angle grinder on that front guard man!
Bare metal tank would look pretty cool too. I've toyed with the idea of doing that to my Bandit before, I'm trying with the rearsets to get a sort of brushed finish on the ally, trying to replicate the look of aircraft skin.

Fast Eddie
19th April 2012, 16:18

haha, GN wars..

Zedder
19th April 2012, 16:32
Not a bad score there, I'm sure you'll knock it into shape (your idea of shape) quick smart.

bogan
19th April 2012, 16:58

haha, GN wars..

Need a GF in a G-string on a GN thread?

Fast Eddie
19th April 2012, 17:31
thats no gf thats me, but I do need a gstring yea..

banditrider
19th April 2012, 20:53
Where can I buy some shares in Autosol?

nzspokes
19th April 2012, 21:20
So, how well does it wheelie?

ducatilover
19th April 2012, 22:45
Is it a Chinese-made Ginny? I'm always amazed at how the cases on a mid-2000s GN250 can have the worst alloy cancer I've ever seen. How fucked were yours to start with?

Get the angle grinder on that front guard man!
Bare metal tank would look pretty cool too. I've toyed with the idea of doing that to my Bandit before, I'm trying with the rearsets to get a sort of brushed finish on the ally, trying to replicate the look of aircraft skin.
Nope it's a Jap one, but the cases were fucked up dirty/cancerous. I'll be polishing 'em again for extra bling bling.

Bare metal is as rock as fuck, love it. I'll figure something out with it, it certainly needs less back seat and less front guard.

I've just noticed something, that headlight looks almost exactly the same as the one on the ZZR! :dodge: Shhhh

Reckon we need proof of that skid, I don't beleive you :nya:
No proof, it was that bad lol

haha, GN wars..
Niiiiiice. I must spread rep before spreading Eddie's missu...um yeah.

Not a bad score there, I'm sure you'll knock it into shape (your idea of shape) quick smart.
I'll manage something!

Need a GF in a G-string on a GN thread?
Yes.

If you need any alloy polished, PM me :yes:

So, how well does it wheelie?

I know you won't believe me, but I haven't tried

Made a battery box as the battery looked like it was going to fall out :facepalm: held in by a shoe lace lol 262307

I don't think I'll get a new side cover for it, the original ones make it too GN-esque...duh. It's more epicer without them anyway.
Oil light and flasher unit fucked out today :angry: I suppose something was bound to go wrong lol
Wouldn't mind converting to a vac operated fuel tap for practicality, the original one is a bit silly as you have to turn it off, or run the risk of hurting the needle/seat from the pressure of the fuel in the tank pushing on it.

I've got a strange exhaust plan, secret for now, but it's stupid and you'll all like it.
I want the gauges to be mounted lower and I'm going to polish the fork lowers.

Sable
20th April 2012, 06:05
I think you may have some sort of obsessive compulsive disorder relating to polishing... :facepalm:

ducatilover
20th April 2012, 22:20
I think you may have some sort of obsessive compulsive disorder relating to polishing... :facepalm:

I think so too mate. I even noted to myself to polish the chain adjusters.

ON A BLOODY GN!

Geoff has developed quite the interesting issue.
Top end/high rev stumble.
Random loss of power/bogging down
Sometimes holding revs up when throttling off or with clutch in.

My theory?
Carb's been cleaned, pilot screw is set to the factory 2 turns, float height is sorted, slide diaphragm has no tears or holes, so I'll rule those bits out.
I think I have a sticking slide and possibly bung fuel filter, the fuel strainer in the bottom of the tap is missing (I'm sure there's mean to be a filtering element in it)

The carb slide is looking quite sad, and being plastic I can't polish it up and hope for the best. (Already cleaned the slide up and then polished the slide bore up too.)

So...
Will be wanting a new slide, or maybe I can make a CVK-D32 from the ZZR400k motor work on a GN?
Will pull teh plug out and see what it tells me.
I'm putting the top end stumble down to the "air filter" and the other shit down to a sticking slide.

mossy1200
20th April 2012, 22:30

Autosol is good stuff but mothers alloy polish is the shitz

ducatilover
20th April 2012, 22:32
Autosol is good stuff but mothers ally polish is the shitz

Have yet to try that on the bikes, might give it a whirl.

nzspokes
20th April 2012, 22:36
My call is float valve is dead. When it happens turn off the fuel, see if it gets betterer. Or do the clear hose thing into the bottom of carb.

ducatilover
20th April 2012, 22:39
My call is float valve is dead. When it happens turn off the fuel, see if it gets betterer. Or do the clear hose thing into the bottom of carb.

Good call, float valve seems to be okay to my eye as it doesn't overflow when the tap is left on (no vacuum stop)
Can't do the clear hose trick on this one, the drain hole is the bore for the drain screw :facepalm:

The inside or the bowl and float were bloody green though. Might just slap another carb on, cheaper/takes less time. :yes:

ducatilover
21st April 2012, 10:45

Left the fuel tap on over night and it hasn't been leaking out the overflow :yes: So I'll be ruling that out, there is however the possibility of poo going through it and randomly holding the needle/seat open.

Will peel the carb off and go through it again, will attempt to get pics.

nzspokes
21st April 2012, 12:15
there is however the possibility of poo going through it and randomly holding the needle/seat open.

I know its a GN and all but did you have to poo in it?:sick:

ducatilover
21st April 2012, 13:35
I know its a GN and all but did you have to poo in it?:sick:

Yeah, like you'd do any different...

nzspokes
21st April 2012, 15:44
To be fair, I like the little 250s. I wouldnt be selling my Honda if I didnt need to. Great fun round town and stupid easy to ride. Reckon a GN would be the same. As long as you dont take them seriously they are epic fun.

The Lone Rider
21st April 2012, 16:15
I see ape hangers and a spring seat in your future

ducatilover
21st April 2012, 17:27
To be fair, I like the little 250s. I wouldnt be selling my Honda if I didnt need to. Great fun round town and stupid easy to ride. Reckon a GN would be the same. As long as you dont take them seriously they are epic fun.
They really are, the little simple ones are the best I reckon, just hop on 'em and tootle around, weigh nothing and wobble lots! Love it.

I see ape hangers and a spring seat in your future

I do like the spring seat idea! Not ape hanger though :shutup:

Pulled the carb back down, re-cleaned/checked it all, polished the slide. Still holds the revs occasionally when I blip it, but I'll have to throw a new air filter up it before I get too in to it.

nzmikey
21st April 2012, 18:29

haha, GN wars..

For Some reason I like yours better .... not sure why tho :gob:

James Deuce
21st April 2012, 18:53
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=57244&d=1175044515

James Deuce
21st April 2012, 18:57
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=59952&d=1177922796

James Deuce
21st April 2012, 18:58
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=62609&d=1180680703

tigertim20
21st April 2012, 19:20
doesnt matter what you do to a ginny, you cant make it any worse.
be interesting to see what you do with it.
got an angle grinder?

ducatilover
21st April 2012, 19:34
Those be some interesting Ginners Mr Deuce!

Angle grinder? Of course mate

tigertim20
21st April 2012, 20:11
why dont you throw a CR125 engine in it?
I just happen to have one sitting here that I rebuilt last week . . .

ducatilover
21st April 2012, 20:31
why dont you throw a CR125 engine in it?
I just happen to have one sitting here that I rebuilt last week . . .

I like the strange clattering mine makes when fully warm :innocent: Reminds me of Brit bikes.

ducatilover
22nd April 2012, 00:17
http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kx9baghzT91qzdhymo1_500.jpg

http://www.pitstopmotorcycles.co.uk/workshop-blog/image.axd?picture=2010%2F9%2Ftriumph+016.jpg

Inspiration.
I loves me a polished tank.

Sable
22nd April 2012, 04:05
This ain't too bad for a GN..

unstuck
22nd April 2012, 07:45

That looks pretty bloody cool actually.:2thumbsup

Fast Eddie
22nd April 2012, 11:21

fuckn hell, i hardly recognized it as a GN. thats actually pretty damn cool...

are there any kits to make the 250gns bigger lol? I have heard of the 125's getting a bump up to 150 or something

tigertim20
22nd April 2012, 11:31
fuckn hell, i hardly recognized it as a GN. thats actually pretty damn cool...

are there any kits to make the 250gns bigger lol? I have heard of the 125's getting a bump up to 150 or something

I had a feeling there were 300 or 350 kits available

Fast Eddie
22nd April 2012, 11:56
yea found em on ebay. 300 kit. bout 180 nz bucks plus postage

nzspokes
22nd April 2012, 11:57
yea found em on ebay. 300 kit. bout 180 nz bucks plus postage

Does that get you up to 10hp? :bleh:

Fast Eddie
22nd April 2012, 12:00

fuck, if your lucky haha.. I dunno if there will be much of a dif that extra 50cc..

I wish the GN400 cyl and piston just bolted on that might make a diff

tigertim20
22nd April 2012, 12:29
you could just bung a savage 650 single in there:msn-wink:
or you could be a real sick fuck and put something like a CRf450 in it
haahahaha

Geeen
22nd April 2012, 12:40
put something like a CRf450 in it
haahahaha

Thats an awesome idea :niceone: Should do a mean wheelie then........

yod
22nd April 2012, 12:47
Thats an awesome idea :niceone: Should do a mean wheelie then........

...and we all know how the OP looooves to wheelie.....

ducatilover
22nd April 2012, 18:05
Is it a GN frame? The rest isn't GN, which I suppose makes it great. Even the wheels aren't GN

are there any kits to make the 250gns bigger lol? I have heard of the 125's getting a bump up to 150 or something 300 and 350cc are around, I might do one for shits and gigs.
I'd pay $180 for a 300 kit any day.

Like fuck lol

...and we all know how the OP looooves to wheelie.....

Oh, you called? :bleh:

Stripped the carb again, boiled in vinegar for two hours, 100psi shoved through every hole and then fuse wire down all the holes, have yet to test ride him.

I might have slightly polished the diaphragm cap and float bowl...just a little.
I embarrass myself.

Sable
22nd April 2012, 20:55
I reckon you can do it. Paint the fork legs black, rattlecan the rest matte black, cut off the back of the frame and weld a new loop on and make a new seat base, and some knobblies. Sorted!

bogan
22nd April 2012, 21:10
you could just bung a savage 650 single in there:msn-wink:

If he goes to the trouble of an engine swap, he probly wants to gain more than 3hp...

ducatilover
22nd April 2012, 21:22
If he goes to the trouble of an engine swap, he probly wants to gain more than 3hp... It'd probably go slower with the "Savage" motor lol

I reckon you can do it. Paint the fork legs black, rattlecan the rest matte black, cut off the back of the frame and weld a new loop on and make a new seat base, and some knobblies. Sorted!

Too easy :msn-wink:

ducatilover
23rd April 2012, 22:46
Just in case anyone needed to know, you can fit a Keihin CVKD32 on to a GN.

262497It won't be staying there though, if I change carbs it'll be a standard BS34 or a flatslide.
Front dropped 45mm, tank raised 35mm at the back.262498

Just pulled the front and rear guards off and threw an LED tail light up it.
Might have to order me another set of LED indicators, or anything old looking that isn't the size of a whales dick.
Will get more pics tomorrow (air filter arrives tomorrow!)

So, I lied a little when I said I won't modify it yet :lol:

Oblivion
23rd April 2012, 22:48
When's the Hayabusa engine transplant happening? If you want custom, you can't go farther than that :weird:

ducatilover
23rd April 2012, 22:58
When's the Hayabusa engine transplant happening? If you want custom, you can't go farther than that :weird:

Was just going to build a cheap 300hp 350 chev and have the worlds lightest Boss Hoss :clap:

ducatilover
24th April 2012, 16:31
<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CDouglas%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cms ohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:595.3pt 841.9pt; margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt; mso-header-margin:35.4pt; mso-footer-margin:35.4pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> New air filter, didn't change the top end stumble.

It takes a few KM from cold for it to happen (open road, it's happy as Larroldo when I get to town.) it will get better for a few km if I stop and have a smoke, look at cages flying past and cows in paddocks. <o>

S</o>o, I have cleaned out the fuel cap and blown fuck through the vent with the air compressor, let's hope eh? Will test ride shortly

NZspokes may have been right though, today it was pissing out the overflow on the bowl, but hasn't done it since? Maybe vibrations are dropping the needle or un seating it? To add to all this, I didn’t get paid fully, my air filter cost too much and my frickin’ interwebs is running at 64kbps and I haven’t gone any where near my data allowance :facepalm: In fact, the web is so fucked at the moment, I have to type this in MS word because the page doesn’t load properly…

nzspokes
24th April 2012, 17:42
Good cold then getting worse is a clear sign of over rich. Change the float valve and check float height.

ducatilover
24th April 2012, 20:56
Good cold then getting worse is a clear sign of over rich. Change the float valve and check float height.

Exactly.

When I flip the carb to set the height, I can blow in to the fuel line (without a lit ciggy) and the needle won't let me blow past it's sealing that well under its own weight.
The height I've checked thrice now (every time I pull the carb to see if there's poo in the tank getting past the filter) and each time I've set it to 27.4mm, Suzuki say 27.4mm +/- 1mm. So I'm bang on there.

This is why I'm thinking that the vibrations (it has them, lots of them) are un seating the needle. Reckon it's possible?
The only other thing it could be is there's not enough fuel flow past the needle, so at higher RPM it's running lean after it drains the bowl a bit? Fuel filter, line, tap and sieve are spankers though :niceone:

I'll sort Geoff out, I'll try find a float valve tomorrow (someone's had a hack at the valve, the retaining screw is bloody rooted, so I'll have to drill it or something :facepalm:)

Otherwise, before Geoff starts fucking around, he'll easily hit 110 and pull 100 up small gradients.
He also enjoys oil, quite the drink it seems. :(

bogan
24th April 2012, 20:59
What does the plug look like?

ducatilover
24th April 2012, 21:02
What does the plug look like?

Raise your palm and aim it at your face for this.

I lost my GN size plug socket.

It has to be mega-uber thin walled, normal ones don't fit past the head

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

nzspokes
24th April 2012, 21:47
Have you tried running the carb upside down. :bleh:

But as youve not used the stock carb is the jetting just to rich? Its fouling the plug?

ducatilover
24th April 2012, 21:53
Have you tried running the carb upside down. :bleh:

But as youve not used the stock carb is the jetting just to rich? Its fouling the plug?

This is the stock carb.
My eyes can't read jet sizes, will peel the main out and ask one of the kids to read it :lol:

Might just run the whole bike upside down?

nzspokes
24th April 2012, 22:02
This is the stock carb.
My eyes can't read jet sizes, will peel the main out and ask one of the kids to read it :lol:

My carb man who I get my bits off uses a magnifying glass for jets which I now do. Wonder if the needle seat is worn and letting to much fuel through? My GPZ had that when I got it.

ducatilover
24th April 2012, 22:07
My carb man who I get my bits off uses a magnifying glass for jets which I now do. Wonder if the needle seat is worn and letting to much fuel through? My GPZ had that when I got it.

Using my high tech torch and my good eye, the needle seat looks sweet.
The carb looks to be mint after all the cleaning, the float valve is clean, no varnish at all.

Will get a magnifying glass and double check

bogan
24th April 2012, 22:13

Didn't work too well for the ZZR :dodge:

If you have some hose you can chuck on the drain bit of the carb, then loop it up so the end is higher than carb, you can use it to see the fuel height while running. Might be able to slam a camera on it when it is stumbling along? (looking down is probly not such a flash idea).

ducatilover
24th April 2012, 22:16
Didn't work too well for the ZZR :dodge:
Ahem, cough...

Twitch. :girlfight:

If you have some hose you can chuck on the drain bit of the carb, then loop it up so the end is higher than carb, you can use it to see the fuel height while running. Might be able to slam a camera on it when it is stumbling along? (looking down is probly not such a flash idea).

The drain doesn't have a tube/anywhere to put a pipe on, only the overflow :( The drain is simply a screw in the bottom of the bowl, not like them fancy Keihin fuckers.

bogan
24th April 2012, 22:21
The drain doesn't have a tube/anywhere to put a pipe on, only the overflow :( The drain is simply a screw in the bottom of the bowl, not like them fancy Keihin fuckers.

Still doable, open the drain a little bit, then go for a hoon and see if the increased fuel draw causes it to lean out and run shit earlier*

*not actually a serious suggestion, and if you thought it was, put down the spanner and back away slowly

ducatilover
24th April 2012, 22:33
Still doable, open the drain a little bit, then go for a hoon and see if the increased fuel draw causes it to lean out and run shit earlier*

*not actually a serious suggestion, and if you thought it was, put down the spanner and back away slowly

Oh...

I need a new piston now :scratch:

mossy1200
24th April 2012, 22:40
Choke isnt on all the time?

ducatilover
24th April 2012, 23:18
Choke isnt on all the time?

Nope, one of the first things I checked :2thumbsup

ducatilover
25th April 2012, 16:52
Did a compression test today,
140psi/9.85 kg/cm2.
Suzuki manual says 142psi-200psi/10-14kg/cm2 is normal and 114psi/8kg/cm2 is low. So we're sweet in that department :niceone:

Will slap another plug up it, the current one is mega fuck black.

My oil level likes to drop a lot though (hence the compression test) and there are no visible leaks after sitting in the garage all night.
Perhaps I have rooted valve stem seals? It is a wee bit smokey when cold, not enough smoke to determine if it's fuel or oil.

Currently hunting for a carb kit :cool:

Fast Eddie
25th April 2012, 16:55
Did a compression test today,
140psi/9.85 kg/cm2.
Suzuki manual says 142psi-200psi/10-14kg/cm2 is normal and 114psi/8kg/cm2 is low. So we're sweet in that department :niceone:

Will slap another plug up it, the current one is mega fuck black.

My oil level likes to drop a lot though (hence the compression test) and there are no visible leaks after sitting in the garage all night.
Perhaps I have rooted valve stem seals? It is a wee bit smokey when cold, not enough smoke to determine if it's fuel or oil.

Currently hunting for a carb kit :cool:

chuck a white tissue over the exhaust and see if its oily?

ducatilover
25th April 2012, 16:57
chuck a white tissue over the exhaust and see if its oily?

I've never thought of that :laugh: chur.

CBF starting it up at the moment though, enough work for today, got the flu real bad and I had to fix the lawn mower too, one of the kids ran over a branch = stalled motor = snapped key on the flywheel = ignition was 180 degrees out :rolleyes::nono:

Fast Eddie
25th April 2012, 16:59
I've never thought of that :laugh: chur.

CBF starting it up at the moment though, enough work for today, got the flu real bad and I had to fix the lawn mower too, one of the kids ran over a branch = stalled motor = snapped key on the flywheel = ignition was 180 degrees out :rolleyes::nono:

aah hahahaha

get a gruntier lawnmower bro, I ran over the remains of a metal washing line that had just been sawed off like 3 inches from the ground.. lawn mower loved it..

had to replace a blade but meh

Fast Eddie
25th April 2012, 17:00
found someone that sells the color matched paints for my blade too im stoked, once the aprilia is done looks like the blade will get some love, full repaint.. still have to sus out the decals but getting the correct base colors was proving tricky enough. stoked on that. Got a single seat cowl as well, so i got some of the paint today, just prepping the cowl today will hopefully paint it before sundown and have the cowl on in a few days, take the rear foot pegs off.. should be nice :D

ducatilover
25th April 2012, 18:01
aah hahahaha

get a gruntier lawnmower bro, I ran over the remains of a metal washing line that had just been sawed off like 3 inches from the ground.. lawn mower loved it..

had to replace a blade but meh Not my lawn mower = not my problem :bleh:

found someone that sells the color matched paints for my blade too im stoked, once the aprilia is done looks like the blade will get some love, full repaint.. still have to sus out the decals but getting the correct base colors was proving tricky enough. stoked on that. Got a single seat cowl as well, so i got some of the paint today, just prepping the cowl today will hopefully paint it before sundown and have the cowl on in a few days, take the rear foot pegs off.. should be nice :D

Winning bro!
I still think it'll look sick in white, but then again, everything I paint ends up white :rolleyes:

Fast Eddie
25th April 2012, 18:30
nah the color match is for my fireblade ;) its like metallic black, metallic grey and silver base coats with all kinds of decals over the top.

still planning white for the aprilia ;)

ducatilover
25th April 2012, 18:36
nah the color match is for my fireblade ;) its like metallic black, metallic grey and silver base coats with all kinds of decals over the top.

still planning white for the aprilia ;)

Do the blade white too :first:

Fast Eddie
25th April 2012, 18:49
lol just read your gasket mating surface prep method.

I can understand the juice.. but the razor blades uh uh :nono: might gouge the soft metal.

nah no white blade, it suits black. its slimming lol. shes a wide old bike

ducatilover
25th April 2012, 18:58
You're right, the black works on blades of that era.

You wuss, I've never had problems with razor blades.

Fast Eddie
25th April 2012, 19:14
lol im sure it would be fine, I use a plastic scraper to get old gaskets off anyway.

its the smoothing of the alloy/metal prior to refitting I was meaning. ya gotta use a iron grinding pad or whatever they are called, or a sheet of glass and emery paper as a substitute. I'm told its the way to go..

ducatilover
25th April 2012, 19:47
Angle grinder and spit

Fast Eddie
25th April 2012, 19:54
piss on it then drag it behind the car down the road.. just tried it works mint

ducatilover
25th April 2012, 20:18
piss on it then drag it behind the car down the road.. just tried it works mint

I thought we were talking about cleaning parts, not getting the missus ready for a big night?

Fast Eddie
25th April 2012, 21:36
haha sorry i forgot

ducatilover
26th April 2012, 19:06
Pulled the carb down agin, got the needle seat out, cleaned it, found another needle in good nick, threw that in, found the float was hanging up on a tiny burr, cleaned all that up.

No difference :laugh:
Wasn't overflowing, went for a ride, got home, wasn't overflowing then.
Put a smaller jet in, bolted it back in, and it started to overflow.

I'm going to punch this carb.

I'm also going to buy another carb. :niceone:

EDIT...

Righto:
Looking for carbs, people are cunts and want $100 or so, I'm not paying that for a second hand shit heap carb.
I can get a brand new Mikuni TM28 Flatslide for $150 usd delivery incl.
Will keep hunting around, but the TM28 seems to be the way, maybe even slightly bigger.
There are a few people running them on the DR250s which are the same donk really, so I'll look further in to this.

ducatilover
14th May 2012, 11:37
Got a carb for Geoff. :niceone:

One minute problem, I've moved up north now so both bikes are in storage and parts from eBay are filling up the spare room at my parents.
:facepalm:
Already found and lost one job in the last week, so I'm doing pretty well up here!

willytheekid
14th May 2012, 12:36
Got a carb for Geoff. :niceone:

One minute problem, I've moved up north now so both bikes are in storage and parts from eBay are filling up the spare room at my parents.
:facepalm:
Already found and lost one job in the last week, so I'm doing pretty well up here!

WTF are yooooou doin in Auckland mate?? (And how the hell do you "find & lose" a job in one week?...wait...I don't wanna know!)

Take care mate, enjoy the lattes :laugh:

ducatilover
14th May 2012, 12:40
WTF are yooooou doin in Auckland mate?? (And how the hell do you "find & lose" a job in one week?...wait...I don't wanna know!)

Take care mate, enjoy the lattes :laugh:

Auckland? Don't be silly mate! I'm living near the beach east of Te Puke. :niceone:

Had a wee moment and collapsed on the job, they decided I was effectively useless so I'm on the hunt again :drinknsin

Latte? Get out of my thread (Espresso, four shots thanks)

willytheekid
14th May 2012, 12:48
Auckland? Don't be silly mate! I'm living near the beach east of Te Puke. :niceone:

Had a wee moment and collapsed on the job, they decided I was effectively useless so I'm on the hunt again :drinknsin

Latte? Get out of my thread (Espresso, four shots thanks)

Ohh thank F@#$! (thought we had lost another one)

"Had a wee moment and collapsed on the job" :shit: holy crap man!, hope all is well.
Good luck on the job hunt and the bike rebuild/repair :niceone:

ducatilover
14th May 2012, 12:56
Ohh thank F@#$! (thought we had lost another one)

"Had a wee moment and collapsed on the job" :shit: holy crap man!, hope all is well.
Good luck on the job hunt and the bike rebuild/repair :niceone:

Shit no mate, I hate Auckland :msn-wink:

I'm alive, walking and perving so I'll be right, cheers :first::drinknsin

tigertim20
14th May 2012, 17:30
Shit no mate, I hate Auckland :msn-wink:

I'm alive, walking and perving so I'll be right, cheers :first::drinknsin

Glad you got a carb. I just got my DR project, and you aint getting the farking carb off that!

ducatilover
15th May 2012, 10:58
Glad you got a carb. I just got my DR project, and you aint getting the farking carb off that!

I'm still tempted to get a flatslide on it for teh lulz ad do some dirty head work... But that $$ should be spent on attempting to get some flatslides for the ZZR, or a spare motor for the turbo build :msn-wink:

ducatilover
17th May 2012, 21:31
Right, I'm back down in Eke for a wee bit to play with the bikes :niceone:

No more fuel leaking from Geoff, I put the new carb on.
Then I put the polished bowl on the new carb.
It leaked again...

So, under very close inspection (I had to use a magnifying glass, shhh fuck off) I found the old bowl to be cracked in about a million places :facepalm:
Good thing I got the new carb eh? :laugh:

Off to test ride it tomorrow with my nice new boots :Punk:

ducatilover
18th May 2012, 16:37
Test ride 1 = too rich but a huge improvement, can sit on 100km/h faily easy but with a stumble every now and then, managed a fucking mental 115km/h down a hill, then I died and ACC went up.
Put Geoff in the garage, ripped the new carb and found the float was at 23.4mm, factory setting is 27.4 +/-1mm. So, set to 27mm and back in. That equated to, better in the mid range and nicer throttle response, still got the top end stumble.

Off to order some jets then!
It's running the OEM #130, so I'll get a few sizes and hopefully clean up that stumble, if jetting fails to help, I'll bung a new coil in it.

All the earths/contacts in the ignition have been cleaned and tightened, my probe (hehe) on the multimeter is too short to get a reading on the coil, was going to try comparing hot vs cold readings.

So, I did the logical thing and thrashed it around some back roads, to test my new boots out of course :laugh: I'm now adamant that the brakes are made from wood.

mossy1200
18th May 2012, 17:02
Im wondering when I can ride it. It needs duel purpose tires maybe.

ducatilover
18th May 2012, 17:39
You're more than welcome to ride/laugh at Geoff.
I would rather like duel purpose rubber, not like a GN needs much grip anyway... I had a giggle on the gravel this morning though :niceone:

tigertim20
18th May 2012, 18:35
Im wondering when I can ride it. It needs duel purpose tires maybe.

bout a year ago, a dealer was selling GNs brand spanking new with knobblies on it as the ''ideal farm bike'

ducatilover
18th May 2012, 19:22
bout a year ago, a dealer was selling GNs brand spanking new with knobblies on it as the ''ideal farm bike'

They ain't too bad at paddock bashing... not that I would...

Fast Eddie
18th May 2012, 20:45
the chinese ones don't like to get wet.. gotta polish them after everytime they get a bit damp. tryin to get the mrs to grab a blade - she knows how to ride now, time to step up to the big time eh

ducatilover
19th May 2012, 00:11
the chinese ones don't like to get wet.. gotta polish them after everytime they get a bit damp. tryin to get the mrs to grab a blade - she knows how to ride now, time to step up to the big time eh

Good thing mine's a Jappa then lol
Nah, get me a blade, she can have my GN and a mouthful :msn-wink:

Fast Eddie
19th May 2012, 08:52
Good thing mine's a Jappa then lol
Nah, get me a blade, she can have my GN and a mouthful :msn-wink:

I'm looking for a 92 blade atm.. took a test ride yesterday.. fuck they are a laugh aye, fair bit different to me second gen. one.

might have to give something up haha.. i got a few old technics 1200 turntables lying around, wonder if they still worth moneys. a nice fender strat.. nah can't give that up haha.

maybe ill just email some ppl saying I've got 16 mil to give them if they just chuck 200 bucks in my acc first to help with the transfer costs etc

lol just read the mouthful bit ;) tee hee.. maybe u guys can snowball afterward :D

Fast Eddie
19th May 2012, 08:53
p.s. she comes on here to see what im saying ;) better behave..

ducatilover
19th May 2012, 22:42
lol just read the mouthful bit ;) tee hee.. maybe u guys can snowball afterward :D Yeah, keen as.

p.s. she comes on here to see what im saying ;) better behave..

Like hell! :lol::lol:

I think I need a blade...

ducatilover
27th May 2012, 19:06
Finally got around to pulling the rocker cover to check the cam chain.
Cam looks like a shark's breakfast and the cahin is so stretched the tensioner doesn't do anything :lol:

Geoff drinks oil. 1L+ per 200km :killingme

All I can do is laugh because I cannot be bothered throwing a piston/barrel on it at the moment, and it still manages to cruise at 110 most of the time, unless it's doing the random miss/bog down/surge.

This bike rules. :clap:

Oh and there are broken bolts everywhere, I'm beginning to get scared of touching it and finding more previous owner modifications :facepalm:

ducatilover
31st May 2012, 20:11
Still haven't done anything practical, but making a list of shit to buy.
piston/barrel is just under $150.
Gasket set ~$50
Bearings ~$50
Cam chain $56

Probably cheaper than buying another motor...and better in theory. :lol:
Really can't be buggered with it though, the 600 is nearly done and is actually cool, Geoff is being neglected, better oil/petrol him tomorrow and thrash it 'till that cam chain snaps, or a rod hits me in the scrot.

ducatilover
4th July 2012, 20:42
Update lacking in pictures!

Pulled the head off yesterday, which was a total of 40 minutes, about as much as I can be buggered with on a GN

Head gasket is rooted, has been squashed/bent near one of the oil passages and explains why it's been throwing oil past the gasket and burning it too.
One burnt-ish valve. Could have been far worse if I hadn't done the clearances as soon as I got the poor fella.
One single deep scratch in an otherwise mint looking bore :weep: bore is within spec and looks like the barrel has previously been replaced.
Wee bit of wear on the camshaft, meh.

Once I find someone who can read me some Japanese I'll be buying some parts directly from the little men who make them, this will include, full gasket set, 300cc kit (why not?) bearings, tensioner (they use a stupid coiled up bit of steel :crazy:...because that'll last!) and some valves.

Once I acquire a dremel I'm going to attack the head, the intake side is reasonably well cut/ported but the exhaust side is disgusting, so I'll match them up.

Fun and games dear chaps!

Fast Eddie
4th July 2012, 20:51
haha put the gn in the shed n walk away!

saw the 300cc kits.. wonder if they would make much diff..

tigertim20
4th July 2012, 20:59
My Dremmel is one of the most valuable tools in my shed, so useful! and they dont even cost that much!

saw the 300cc kits.. wonder if they would make much diff..

short answer, no. I looked into it when I first got the dr. it makes fuckall difference, but if youre replacing the cylinder anyway, then its fuckall difference to go the 300. a tiny bit more tourque.
Get some DR cams as well and throw them in if youre going that far.

Fast Eddie
4th July 2012, 21:21
Yeah, keen as.

Like hell! :lol::lol:

I think I need a blade...

must spread rep before givin.. haha

bogan
4th July 2012, 22:24

That's a bit generous, I wouldn't even give it shed space :p

ducatilover
4th July 2012, 22:26

saw the 300cc kits.. wonder if they would make much diff.. 3hp difference... :lol: but, at the cost difference between bringing a new 250 barrel/piston in and a 300cc kit...:2thumbsup
Can't find the 346cc kit people used to throw on the DR :weep:

My Dremmel is one of the most valuable tools in my shed, so useful! and they dont even cost that much!

short answer, no. I looked into it when I first got the dr. it makes fuckall difference, but if youre replacing the cylinder anyway, then its fuckall difference to go the 300. a tiny bit more tourque.
Get some DR cams as well and throw them in if youre going that far.
I've wanted one for ages for odd jobs, now is a good time to get one

What model DR? And there's only one cam...where the hell am I going to fit multiple :bleh:
I'd love to find an NZ250 top end and do a DOHC conversion with 300cc under it, would be hilarious a GNZ300 :rolleyes:

ducatilover
4th July 2012, 22:38
That's a bit generous, I wouldn't even give it shed space :p

Some of us have shed space in abundance :bleh:

bogan
4th July 2012, 22:47
Some of us have shed space in abundance :bleh:

Clearly!

I still reckon turn geoff into a hybrid, would be hilarious :whistle:

ducatilover
4th July 2012, 23:00
Clearly!

I still reckon turn geoff into a hybrid, would be hilarious :whistle:

He already is, half running-half fucked :lol: that's a hybrid isn't it?
If you're willing to make him a hybrid, I'm in

bogan
5th July 2012, 10:11
He already is, half running-half fucked :lol: that's a hybrid isn't it?
If you're willing to make him a hybrid, I'm in

Would probly have it riding on the bump stops, with a bent frame though...

ducatilover
5th July 2012, 20:28
Would probly have it riding on the bump stops, with a bent frame though...

Sounds like an improvement!

Got the barrel off/piston out this morning and borrowed my fathers micrometer set, which he wanted to use because I might run away with it. Fair call.

Piston, past the wear limit.
Barrel, past the wear limit.
Cam shaft, more of a joke really, the thing is fucked.

So, the list is now:
300cc kit, cam chain, cam, full gasket set, might as well buy a brand new tensioner.

Shoot, that's going to cost me $150usd+/-$10 plus postage. :blink: no typo.

tigertim20
6th July 2012, 18:25
are you gonna dyno it? lol

ducatilover
6th July 2012, 18:31
are you gonna dyno it? lol You think I'm a fucking queer?

Of course I will!

Went to clean the swing arm and all those other bits and bobs that connect to the back of the bike thing.
Ended up painting the spokes and polishing the fuck out of the drum, sprocket carrier etc.
I told myself I was just going to throw a barrel at this thing because tis just a Ginny after all... so yes, I'm going in the deep end.

I am not sure why I am about to tidy it up... I think I am sick, help

ducatilover
6th July 2012, 23:33
So, from the pegs back is either polished or repainted now...will assemble the arse end tomorrow.
Painted the frame, peg hangers, side stand, indicator casings, rear guard, inner guard, indicator mounts, swing arm, brake torque arm brace thingy, every bracket from the pegs back is painted, the side cover (I only have one...).
All in the only colour things like this should be. Black.

Pulled all the bearings from the wheel/swinger/shocks and cleaned re-greased them.
Scuffed up the drum lining.

Going to to the engine block/barrel/head black with polished fins.
Polish up the stator and clutch covers.
Might do the tank white?
Black fork legs should be nice.
Black headlight shell, maybe.
Remove tach and make up new idiot lights to bolt to the handle bar clamps and relocate the speedo.

Still unsure why I'm doing this, but it's a brilliant wee thing to work on.

ducatilover
7th July 2012, 01:01
Just ordered a bunch of parts from the magic land of Genuine Suzuki GN parts...China, where they're all made now.

300cc kit (piston, rings, barrel, gudgeon pin)
Fuel tap (mine's leaking, cheaper to get a whole unit brand new than second hand)
Cam chain
Full gasket set incl. all o-rings.
New cam shaft

The total, including shipping.
$247.47NZ.
Total cost to date including bike purchase?
$927.

TAKE THAT!

banditrider
7th July 2012, 09:18
The total, including shipping.
$247.47NZ.
Total cost to date including bike purchase?
$927.

TAKE THAT!

Your extravagance knows no bounds!

bogan
7th July 2012, 09:39
It'll be those new square pistons, much easier to produce than the round ones :p

nzspokes
7th July 2012, 10:34
Will it be able to keep up with traffic once its done? :baby:

ducatilover
7th July 2012, 11:00
Your extravagance knows no bounds! Thank you sir

It'll be those new square pistons, much easier to produce than the round ones :p
My theory is it'll wear the egdes of the square pitson so much it'll be round again and I'll just use JB weld to get the clearance right:cool:

Will it be able to keep up with traffic once its done? :baby:
Oh of course, traffic dow here is mainly tractors, them pesky fuckers had an advantage over the 250cc oil eater, but I'll have 'em whimpering like bitches!

Might look at making a valve spring comp. and checking the valves, maybe gice the seats a cut and lap them in? Vavle seat inserts can't be too expensive considering a brand new head is $110usd
If I pull the valves I'll port it, there are some reall ugly edges and the exhaust side looks like it had a decent restriction where it drops to the valve.

ducatilover
7th July 2012, 22:22
Rear end on, win.
Motor out and on the bench (well, there's only half a motor there) waiting for me to buy some VHT, might go semi gloss black for the motor.
Frame painted black.
Triples painted black.
Horn painted black.
Front indicator housings, black...
Headlight mount, black.
Headlight rim, black.
Peg hangers, black.

I have run out of black.
Need to do the front spokes and fork lowers.

Every bolt/washer that has been removed has been cleaned and/or polished :rolleyes:

Other shit done:
Motor cleaned (petrol and a tooth brush sir)
Chain soaking in petrol, fucker is a bit yucky
Flipped the bars for teh luls.
Got angry at how many wires there are, don't expect me to leave the loom alone...I'm running out of shit to do

Didn't get 'round to making the speedo a single unit, but that's only a little job.

Not sure if: Keep flipped bars and make a cafe seat
Go single seat and hard tail.

Easiest bike build in the world so far, loving it. I can see why Nathanwhite is doing an EN125.
But... my lust for a GB Honda gets worse with every tiny cafe-esque thing I do.

ducatilover
8th July 2012, 21:38
Shocks back in.
Pulled the speedo/tach/idiot lights off.
Made a mount for the speedo and re-located the ignition switch
,ade my own idiot light housing, ordered some LEDs for it.
Started tidying the loom, went mad and now there's around 300mm less main loom

I fucking hate wires that are too long, or pointless!
Will get some alloy sheet (eg: baking tray...) and make a battery mount and mounts for the started relay, cdi and indicator relay.

Have yet to chop the seat up, but I know what I want to do with it.

Still undecided on a colour for the tank.

Need MX bars, will buy some in the next week or two and flip 'em upside down, the Ginny bars flipped look rather... amusing.

ducatilover
8th July 2012, 21:40
Ordered a new data cable too, so will have pics up this week so you faggots know I'm not telling porkies

ducatilover
9th July 2012, 21:08
Haven't got a data cable yet, so I emailed this to myself from my phone thing...

Current and before... I think some parts fell off?

bogan
9th July 2012, 21:09
I think some parts fell off?

Somebody must have mentioned you were thinking of choppering it, so it got into character?

ducatilover
9th July 2012, 21:20
Somebody must have mentioned you were thinking of choppering it, so it got into character?
A morphing bike... I like.
I was thinking of making a bobber, but it's too common/cliche/typical to do on a budget now because all a bobber is, is black with less parts lol

ducatilover
11th July 2012, 14:40
Will upload more up-to date pics later, front end is currently off and tank's half done.266208

ducatilover
12th July 2012, 21:53
No pics tonight sorry, got a tiny bit carried away on the front end today and on the tank

I stipped the front end right off and cleaned it all, re-greased bearings.
Polished every nut/bolt/washer except the lower triple ones, decided black would look better on them
Polished/cleaned/re-greased the axle, bearings, bushing and speedo drive.
Cleaned up the brake caliper.
Painted the pokes black, polished the rim up
painted the master cyl and clutch lever perch black.
blah blah blah so it's all back together and rolling again as a bare chassis.

Things to do:
Polish the seat mount tabs.
Decide what to do with the engine covers, the stator side has Suzuki machined in to it which I do not want, but I also don't want to paint it. We'll see.
Wait for the engine parts and port the head.
Going to look at getting the new cam ground and might think about double valve springs and retainers from a DR350.
Hmm

ducatilover
15th July 2012, 19:12
http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd379/dirtydoogle/13072012.jpg http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd379/dirtydoogle/13072012001.jpg http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd379/dirtydoogle/13072012002.jpg http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd379/dirtydoogle/13072012004.jpghttp://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd379/dirtydoogle/13072012005.jpg

Bottom end of the engine is now back in and tank a lot prettier than the above pics, will update after I get back from my week up north :2thumbsup

bogan
15th July 2012, 20:14
looking good, is that clearcoated bare metal? or silver?

ducatilover
15th July 2012, 20:21
Just brushed steel ;)

Want a nicer shape tank, will do the same with the next one :2thumbsup

nathanwhite
16th July 2012, 12:49
I like the general shape/size of the handlebars as they seem to be approaching the clubmans look. Although they are a bit low which makes them a bit odd.

The seat just wins, but I'm not seeing a taillight?...

This (http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/parts-for-sale/handlebars/auction-492398659.htm) was the guy I got my bars off, nice and cheap. Only issue I've had is the black paint/anodizing/covering-of-some-description comes off quite easily, most notibly when I clamped the riser down on them. Shouldn't be an issue with the silver one's I would think though

ducatilover
17th July 2012, 15:37
They're standard bars flipped :lol: got some MX bars from Mossy1200 which will also be flipped.
Have a tail light in the mail, the original is about 14ft square...
If the anodising comes off, I'll re-ano them. Will give me a great excuse to set up a small anodising system :niceone:
I might make a new cover for the seat yet, because I don't want the 'zuki logo on it.

Drew
17th July 2012, 16:53

That was a Yamaha. Long stroke on it so maybe SR500

And Doug, you are a Sick sick sick man!

tigertim20
17th July 2012, 17:50
They're standard bars flipped :lol: got some MX bars from Mossy1200 which will also be flipped.
Have a tail light in the mail, the original is about 14ft square...
If the anodising comes off, I'll re-ano them. Will give me a great excuse to set up a small anodising system :niceone:
I might make a new cover for the seat yet, because I don't want the 'zuki logo on it.

Yeah, you dont want that suzuki logo being seen eh?
I just got another bike (Suzuki) and I felt like a cunt the minute I took possession of it.
(even more so than usual!)

Fast Eddie
17th July 2012, 18:15
you're improving it every day though!

tank looks sweet, reminds me of the old B.S.As

hows that 300cc kit going? ordered? in the mail?

Fast Eddie
17th July 2012, 18:19
I just got another bike (Suzuki) and I felt like a cunt the minute I took possession of it.

lol whats wrong with suzuki?

Drew
17th July 2012, 18:21

Honda and Yamaha riders don't like not being able to keep up with them.

tigertim20
17th July 2012, 20:10

have you SEEN how fucking ugly the K4 thou is from the front?

Drew
17th July 2012, 20:15

The K4 was a waste of time I reckon. The K5/6 was their best effort.

Fast Eddie
17th July 2012, 21:57

lol thats one version of one bike tho..

give em a chance :D

Fast Eddie
17th July 2012, 21:57

think Tigertim just bought a k4...

ducatilover
17th July 2012, 22:10
And Doug, you are a Sick sick sick man!
:lol: I am, mad as fuck mate.

Shit no, people will know I'm the motorcycle equivalent of a Corolla owner

you're improving it every day though!

tank looks sweet, reminds me of the old B.S.As

hows that 300cc kit going? ordered? in the mail?
Cheers bro
Kit's in the mail.
Once the standard gasket set arrives (new barrel piston has a kit as it's 78mm vs 72 lol) I'll be seeing how much room I have between valve and piston, then I'm hoping to machine the base of the barrel, slot the cam gear and look in to getting teh cam re-ground :2thumbsup will be double valve springs if that happens, standard ones are rather hopeless and probably rooted (haven't measured 'em yet)

ducatilover
17th July 2012, 22:12
Of course I'm also re-thinking about going with a flat slide too...:tugger:

bogan
17th July 2012, 22:49
Of course I'm also re-thinking about going with a flat slide too...:tugger:

Like you did to the ZZR? :shifty: or the fueling option? Fuck it, just go EFI and be done with it :eek:

ducatilover
17th July 2012, 23:29
Like you did to the ZZR? :shifty: or the fueling option? Fuck it, just go EFI and be done with it :eek:
That slide was far from flat :bleh:

You've twisted my arm, I'll look in to it :lol:

Drew
18th July 2012, 06:45
That slide was far from flat :bleh:

You've twisted my arm, I'll look in to it :lol:

RMZ 250 injection!

ducatilover
18th July 2012, 14:05
RMZ 250 injection!
Something like that :headbang:

tigertim20
18th July 2012, 17:48
waste of time, no - its a good solid engine, and a decent bike, but despite that, it pales in comparison to how great of the bike the K5 was - a massive upgrade and im fairly sure it was about then the (stock) gsxr overtook the R1 in almost (if not all) areas. Dont think the R1 quite caught up since them. That said - any bike is only a few mods by a loving owner away from being a fuckin monster anyway!

think Tigertim just bought a k4...

I am ashamed to admit it, but yes, yes I did.:(

Drew
18th July 2012, 18:02
waste of time, no - its a good solid engine, and a decent bike, but despite that, it pales in comparison to how great of the bike the K5 was - a massive upgrade and im fairly sure it was about then the (stock) gsxr overtook the R1 in almost (if not all) areas. Dont think the R1 quite caught up since them. That said - any bike is only a few mods by a loving owner away from being a fuckin monster anyway!

Sorta didn't make myself clear. The K3/4 is only marginally better than the K1/2, where the K5/6 LEAPS ahead.

Great bike for sure, but it is the ugly one too.

They were streaks ahead of the R1 from day 1, in every area. They may well have seen the release of the R1 and spent two years developing a better machine, but it was two years spent very bloody well indeed.

ducatilover
19th July 2012, 10:49
K5 is my favourite of all the later model Jap 4s. Why you got a K4 is beyond me though, you mincing fairy fuck :bleh:

Bring this thread back to the Dougcati SS!

Hopefully when I get back from my wee holiday there will be a new tail light.
I'm going to fab up a very small pipe bender as I have a sweet idea for mounting it.

Drew
19th July 2012, 11:02
I'm going to fab up a very small pipe bender as I have a sweet idea for mounting it.
How small a pipe bender? I have one that goes down to 1/4 inch pipe. That's PIPE! Research it to find out why it work work for 1/4 inch tube.

ducatilover
19th July 2012, 11:12
How small a pipe bender? I have one that goes down to 1/4 inch pipe. That's PIPE! Research it to find out why it work work for 1/4 inch tube.
10mm O/D alloy, 1mm wall thickness. Fucked if I know if it's tube or pipe? But I can bend it by hand, but I'd rather be able to make pretty bends every time
Where'd ya get yours from? Me being me, will probably make something :lol:

bogan
19th July 2012, 11:16
10mm O/D alloy, 1mm wall thickness. Fucked if I know if it's tube or pipe? But I can bend it by hand, but I'd rather be able to make pretty bends every time
Where'd ya get yours from? Me being me, will probably make something :lol:

Just use a bean can or something to make the bends uniform, rolled bends are generally better anyway.

ducatilover
19th July 2012, 11:19
Just use a bean can or something to make the bends uniform, rolled bends are generally better anyway.
This is how I know you're an engineer :cool: I think I can make a few things, bit hard to imagine all the random shit I have when I'm 400km away.
This is how I holiday, think about dumb shit to make for a bike :lol:

Drew
19th July 2012, 20:13
Any refrigeration supplier will have a bender for that. It's 3/8 more likely than 10 mm by the way.

For the pittance they cost, why make something?

ducatilover
19th July 2012, 20:16
It's 10mm, I ordered 10mm outer/8mm inside for a specific application.

Why? Because I can and I like making shit. Evidently :bleh:

nathanwhite
20th July 2012, 10:06
Why? Because I can and I like making shit. Evidently :bleh:

:Punk:

And why wouldn't you? its fun!

ducatilover
20th July 2012, 11:31
:Punk:

And why wouldn't you? its fun!
Bloody oath mate, will go to town today and see if I can find a bender... pipe/tube bender not the usual Te-Puke bender :wacko:

ducatilover
20th July 2012, 13:08
Forgot to get a screaming bender from town, but I got Dilmah tea, even better.
Thinking of doing an ignition advancer on the GN, once I get home I'll have a look to see what the timing specs are, but from memory they're pretty beige. If it bashes the bearings to bits, who cares? They're easy to replace and bloody cheap.

ducatilover
21st July 2012, 15:38
http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd379/dirtydoogle/13072012006.jpg

Found a bad pic I had taken when I put the bottom end back in.
I need to get a new selector shaft and found a DR motor for $30... so I might grab that :niceone:

Drew
23rd July 2012, 19:05
Found a bad pic I had taken when I put the bottom end back in.
I need to get a new selector shaft and found a DR motor for $30... so I might grab that :niceone:

Square the shaft, and put a linkage on there. You're gonna want to move the pegs back anyway aren't ya?

ducatilover
23rd July 2012, 19:26
Square the shaft, and put a linkage on there. You're gonna want to move the pegs back anyway aren't ya?
Great idea. I may move the pegs back an inch or two. The left hand side casing is damaged too and the sprocket cover is welded to the stator cover :clap::scratch: so hopefully I manage to get this DR250 lump and I'll use the left hand case/covers/selector shaft off it

nathanwhite
23rd July 2012, 20:40
You can have the pegs off my EN if ya want. They look exactly the same as the GN just without the forward bendy thing

266794 266796

ducatilover
24th July 2012, 14:00
brilliant thanks mate, they should do the job perfectly :2thumbsup

ducatilover
26th July 2012, 12:26
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=495673786
Cross yer fingers, I reckon I can make these look reasonable and they're the exact muffler I've been looking for :cool:
If I win 'em I will be a happy fellow

ducatilover
27th July 2012, 21:21
Missed out on the cool mufflers, too bad, not paying more than $80 for second hand mufflers

Finally got home from being up north holidaying.
All my tasty new bits are here, so tomorrow is time to assemble some motor!
Rather tempted to start on it tonight, but it's 2 degrees in the garage :(
First thing I did when I got home was take all the boxes off new bits to the garage and tear in to the handle bars, I got some MX style black bars off Mossy, I promptly took the bar brace off, flipped 'em and threw them on. Awesome! Thanks Mossy, yer a champ.

:2thumbsup

ducatilover
28th July 2012, 20:49
The piston kit is missing the bloody gudgeon clips! Fuck it all!

Gave the new bore a quick hone as it wasn't good enough for my liking.
Base gasket in
Will set ring gaps tomorrow and install them
Hopefully I can find another gudgeon clip, I found one that fits...
The head is assembled again, valves lapped etc
Will paint the head/barrel tomorrow with some tasty matt black
Will clean the covers up and prep 'em for a bit of paint too

nzspokes
28th July 2012, 21:08
Cant be hard to get a clip for a ginny? There the stock size?

Fast Eddie
28th July 2012, 21:12
300 kit, big D?

haha no clips with the kit? now that is poor effort.. must cost them about 2c to throw a couple in

ducatilover
28th July 2012, 21:15
I'm thinking they've left them out by accident as they're in the pics.
I've misplaced one of the originals, but I'll just buy a set :niceone: same gudgeon as original...just a 6mm increase in bore.
Hopeing to get it dummy fitted tomorrow to test the squish area, then machine the base of the barrel down and run it in. Once it's run in, I'll get teh cam ground

ducatilover
30th July 2012, 20:38
New gudgeon clips on their way :2thumbsup
Sending the barrel off to Bogan so he can attack it with a machine and send it back :D

This thread needs pics.

Pics:

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd379/dirtydoogle/30072012001.jpg http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd379/dirtydoogle/30072012.jpg http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd379/dirtydoogle/30072012004.jpg

New tail light on :cool: Test fitting the RHS engine cover, matte black looks fucking gay on this, really not working for me. Will buy some high-temp clear and get that shit all satin black :drool:

nzspokes
30th July 2012, 20:58
Is that your bedroom?

ducatilover
30th July 2012, 21:10
:lol: Might as well be, I spend all my time there

ducatilover
31st July 2012, 12:00
Sent the new barrel off to be machined down by Bogan :2thumbsup
According to my possibly flawed calculations, I'll have a compression ratio of 10.07:1 as compared to 8.9:1

I do wish the head wasn't such a shit hemi type design though...

Drew
31st July 2012, 12:17
Sent the new barrel off to be machined down by Bogan :2thumbsup
According to my possibly flawed calculations, I'll have a compression ratio of 10.07:1 as compared to 8.9:1

I do wish the head wasn't such a shit hemi type design though...

I'd probably fashion some bearing retainers for the mains if you're bumping compression as well as weight. Those cases are not the same as DR ones, and not built for....Anything good really.

You might find they'll 'screw' their way into areas they will not be welcome otherwise.

ducatilover
31st July 2012, 12:53
I'd probably fashion some bearing retainers for the mains if you're bumping compression as well as weight. Those cases are not the same as DR ones, and not built for....Anything good really.

You might find they'll 'screw' their way into areas they will not be welcome otherwise.

Really? I'll have to look in to that. I'm buying a DR250 motor, so I could clean that up if the bottom end is okay and use that instead?

If I were to do this again I'd be doing a kitted DR350 swap.
I'm beginning to think I won't get the 30hp I want without shitting the bottom end, or throwing valves everywhere lol ;)

Drew
31st July 2012, 13:13
Really? I'll have to look in to that. I'm buying a DR250 motor, so I could clean that up if the bottom end is okay and use that instead?

If I were to do this again I'd be doing a kitted DR350 swap.
I'm beginning to think I won't get the 30hp I want without shitting the bottom end, or throwing valves everywhere lol ;)

Check around and see if it's been a problem with anyone else sick enough to wank a GN, but I know that commuter motors on the whole, just aren't made to do what you're asking of it.

Particularly something as agricultural as a GN.

30 horses doesn't sound like a lot when you consider you'll have 300cc and the bucket guys are getting that from 125 2 strokes and 150 4 strokes, but I still wouldn't be betting on it form a GN motor. Just seems unfathomable, (that's my word for the day, used it twice now).

ducatilover
31st July 2012, 13:19
I'll see how munted this DR bottom end is, I was originally buying it for the gear selector shaft, but if it's stronger in the crank, I'll use it.
30hp would be easy enough if I had faith in revving the heap of shit...
And yes, it is slightly agricultural... goes better than the brother's AG200 though, thank fuck.
My word of the day is, tits.

Drew
31st July 2012, 13:24
My word of the day is, tits.

My new word for the day is 'legs'.

C'mon ladies, help spread the word!

ducatilover
31st July 2012, 13:30
I can see this becoming rather less bike related. :lol:

I've got some alloy on the way to make the idiot light mount, I'm very chuffed with what I've made there

Drew
31st July 2012, 13:32
I can see this becoming rather less bike related. :lol:

I've got some alloy on the way to make the idiot light mount, I'm very chuffed with what I've made thereI can't see a pic of any idiots, lights, or mounts. What are you talking about?

caseye
31st July 2012, 13:39
Pics of the mounting or it didn't happen and yes it could degenerate into something less than a great build thread if you two aint careful.
Looking forward to seeing this one completed.

Drew
31st July 2012, 13:41
Pics of the mounting or it didn't happen and yes it could degenerate into something less than a great build thread if you two aint careful.

Less than, or different to?

Fab work is where it's at Doug, make with the fuckin visual aids already!

ducatilover
31st July 2012, 13:41
I can't see a pic of any idiots, lights, or mounts. What are you talking about?

The alloy is getting dropped off to me.
The idiot lights sit between the bar clamps, below the bar, sort of.

ducatilover
31st July 2012, 13:42
Less than, or different to?

Fab work is where it's at Doug, make with the fuckin visual aids already!
I think I need a proper camera :facepalm:

ducatilover
31st July 2012, 15:59
:D DR250 lump: $30

Will pick it up later this week and update :2thumbsup

Here be the idiot light thingy, had a better idea for a hidden mount.
I can actually use the bars to clamp it down too...
http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd379/dirtydoogle/31072012002.jpg
http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd379/dirtydoogle/31072012.jpg
http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd379/dirtydoogle/31072012001.jpg

I'm making a new batterry holder, the last one just didn't seem right. I want the battery as high up and hidden as possible, along with the wiring.

ducatilover
1st August 2012, 17:06
I picked up the DR lump this morning. It's an early 5 speed, no elec start motor ;)

Clutch basket is smashed, who gives a shit?
It has, a reasonably recent 0.5mmO/S piston
Cam that measures to the same specs as my brand new cam
New rockers/shafts
Cam chain well within spec.
Good bearings
Mint head, looks like it's been reconditioned, valves/springs are in great nic.

So, I'll be using the head.
If the GN bottom end explodes, I have a spare one, if I throw a piston out, I have a spare one.

Fookin' win.

Drew
1st August 2012, 17:46
What is your address man? I'm gonna post you a little camera. It aint flash, but it TAKES PICTURES that people can see!

ducatilover
1st August 2012, 21:00
:lol::lol: I'll PM you

Ruined all my wire brushes on the dremel thing evening :brick: so I'll have to grab a few more of them.
New head: better cam journals, better rockers etc, new looking valves and seats, wall well within spec. Has a broken fin. Meh, I'll use this new head.
I cleaned teh ports up.
Can't wait to get the barrel back from Bogan, throw it together and see how long it takes for it to explode

bogan
1st August 2012, 21:05
Can't wait to get the barrel back from Bogan, throw it together and see how long it takes for it to explode

Well its one of few parts in no danger of getting taxed while it is here! :lol: Might try and smash it out this weekend.

ducatilover
1st August 2012, 21:09
Well its one of few parts in no danger of getting taxed while it is here! :lol: Might try and smash it out this weekend.
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lr4i7uiphv1qf44ulo1_500.jpg smash it out Nigel Thorneberry-Hulk style?
Officially the coolest thing ever. :2thumbsup

bogan
4th August 2012, 15:41
I feel so tainted, just did my first serious engine modding, and it was for a ginny :cry: Still guess it's only upwards from here right :banana:

ducatilover
4th August 2012, 15:47
I feel so tainted, just did my first serious engine modding, and it was for a ginny :cry: Still guess it's only upwards from here right :banana: http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs/63282_o.gif
Wicked, want to make an exhaust :bleh:
Can't wait to get this bitch together and running!

ducatilover
4th August 2012, 15:49
Big thanks to Paul in NZ who has kindly donated this grouse peashooter muffler thingy, nice bit of gravel rash to match the dented tank :D looks awesome in my opinion 267555267556267557267558

Drew
4th August 2012, 17:02
Do you have a decent ca,era now? Those pics seem acceptable.

Sending one from here on Monday.

ducatilover
4th August 2012, 19:40
Do you have a decent ca,era now? Those pics seem acceptable.

Sending one from here on Monday.

Nope, there was just more light than usual.
Pics seem to suck when I take 'em in the garage, so I could just pull the bike out on those rare sunny days? ;)

ducatilover
4th August 2012, 19:44
You'll notice I somehow managed to drop white paint on the swingarm (fuck knows, doesn't make sense to me at all) just in front of the RHS shock.
So I'll be pulling it back off and painting it again
Which is okay, I'll polish the rear axle spacers when I peel it apart ;) they're black and it bugs me

ducatilover
7th August 2012, 12:12
Barrel is back now, smells like CNC machine lube :yes:
So I'll be slamming this puppy together.
I sort of broke the collector pipe on the headers :facepalm: I'll try fix it so I can start it up (no way I'm running it on open headers)

:scooter:

bogan
7th August 2012, 12:49
Barrel is back now, smells like CNC machine lube :yes:

More like CRC, CNC lube is water based and was causing rust spots on the liner...

Good luck with reassembly, awaiting the celebratory wheelie vid :shifty:

ducatilover
7th August 2012, 13:23
More like CRC, CNC lube is water based and was causing rust spots on the liner...

Good luck with reassembly, awaiting the celebratory wheelie vid :shifty: Same difference, opened it on the kitchen table and got told off :lol:

Gee, why do people just assume I'm going to wheelie it :innocent:

Drew
7th August 2012, 15:00
Same difference, opened it on the kitchen table and got told off :lol:

Gee, why do people just assume I'm going to wheelie it :innocent:People assume that I will do wheelies, people assume that you...well...will give it a go.

Drew
7th August 2012, 15:01
Epic fail, that was meant to have a link to your thread explaining what happened to your bike.

I wish my geekery was better.

caseye
7th August 2012, 15:02
Ya need a bit more HUFF in that rear air bag old son.
Nice reclining positioning I'd rate that a 8 with the good old table tennis paddle scorer.

ducatilover
7th August 2012, 15:05
People assume that I will do wheelies, people assume that you...well...will give it a go.
Nicely put :D
Your headlight has fallen off mate!

Epic fail, that was meant to have a link to your thread explaining what happened to your bike.

I wish my geekery was better.
What chu talkin' 'bout Willis? :killingme

Tempted to chuck the motor together today, but I'm making an undertail on the 600 and relocating everything electrical...again.
But that's for another thread

ducatilover
9th August 2012, 22:38
Progress.
I stopped playing with the 600 for two hours and boom, motor is assembled, torqued up etc.
Just need to do the valve clearances and chuck the side cover on
I whipped the front sprocket off, but the DR one is 14t, not something I'm positively excited about on a GN, so I'll buy a new 15t one.

Who's ready for really, really shitty pictures?
I'll take some more tomorrow in the light (new phone hasn't arrived yet!)

It really doesn't take long to strip/check/rebuild one of these motors, I've put around 5 hours in to the engine in total :lol:
I'm running the DR cam 'til the motor is run in (let's see how long it takes to shit some Chinese rings?) then I'll have the new one ground and chuck it in

ducatilover
10th August 2012, 18:42
Pictures that aren't shite anyone?
http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd379/dirtydoogle/DSC00502.jpg http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd379/dirtydoogle/DSC00498.jpg ^ My favourite
http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd379/dirtydoogle/DSC00499.jpghttp://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd379/dirtydoogle/DSC00500.jpghttp://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd379/dirtydoogle/DSC00501.jpg
Finally you can see my idiot light housing :D

Valve clearances done, winning.
Going to make a tray for the electrics under the seat and a nice alloy battery tray, it's an exhaust away for going to get a WoF now :headbang:

bogan
10th August 2012, 21:09
Matte black engine cover looks good! New camera makes everything look pretty good too

ducatilover
10th August 2012, 23:52
Matte black engine cover looks good! New camera makes everything look pretty good too
I actually found the camera in the office at home while looking for something :facepalm: probably been taking shit photos for years without reason
They matt does look nice, but if I get any oil on it :facepalm: so I'll clear them, just for practicality (unusualy for me, I know) I'll try find a high temp satin finish, don't want glossy covers.

I have to drill a bolt out of the LHS case for the stator cover, it was the first oil leak I found when I got it lol
So that, an ignition advancer and wire the ignition switch up will be the first things to do in the morrow :D

ducatilover
12th August 2012, 22:10
Righto, Geoff is all wired up now, the only original loom left is the part that runs between the headstock and down the back bone, from the carb back and head stock forward it's all new.
Winning.
Will ring around a few places in the 'morrow and source some pipe for the 'zorst :Punk:

ducatilover
14th August 2012, 22:28
The reg/rec was ugly.
Excuse the night time pic, but atleast the reg/rec matches the head now :D
http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd379/dirtydoogle/14082012009.jpg

It seems the new phone thing take better pics at night than the old did during the day :facepalm:

ducatilover
15th August 2012, 19:49
Pulled finger and sorted everything I needed to fire Geoff up today.
Started after about 5 seconds of cranking (when I remembered it's a GN and needs choke :facepalm: )

Took it for a quick squirt down to the end of my road and back, it's running no mufflers currently <_< sounds interesting to say the least
Issues:
Needs jetting, that'll happen when I do the headers though
Impressive oil leak from the front and LHS of the base gasket.
So, a mig and some silicon eh? :2guns: Awesome!

Because it was stumbling as soon as it got many revs/much throttle I can only say it goes a shit load better at low revs :yes:

bogan
15th August 2012, 20:03
Impressive oil leak from the front and LHS of the base gasket.

did you use gasket goo? Was some fairly vicious machining marks in there iirc (should have started with a fresh cutter but didn't think it would be an issue)

ducatilover
15th August 2012, 20:15
did you use gasket goo? Was some fairly vicious machining marks in there iirc (should have started with a fresh cutter but didn't think it would be an issue)

In my excitement to get it back in, I don't think so. I did look at the marks and consider it, I know that much.
It's not too hard to raise the barrel enough to seal it.
Or just run a bead of sticky shizz around it :D
At least we know I remembered to put the piston back in :sunny:

Something I forgot, I fucking hate matt black paint now.
Got a drip on the cover when filling with oil.
So I cleaned it and cleared the stupid things
As Yoda would say "up with that, I will not put"

Geeen
15th August 2012, 20:28
There is a well modded GN next to my NEW place of work, I will try to get some pics for you. Its been turned into a Bobber.....

ducatilover
15th August 2012, 20:37
There is a well modded GN next to my NEW place of work, I will try to get some pics for you. Its been turned into a Bobber.....

:woohoo: Awesome thanks

Fast Eddie
15th August 2012, 21:58

is it this one?

when the mrs gets bored of the gn ill do hers like it probably haha :) if she lets me

ducatilover
15th August 2012, 22:36
Pretty cool!
I like mine more though, I've done more than take shit off and paint the rest black :bleh:

Not that I like a GN or anything, that'd be ghey and shit

Fast Eddie
15th August 2012, 22:40
looks better than a standard one in bobber form. should be a factory option eh. less parts.. black.. easy.

id do that since it wouldnt cost much cash

you got the 300cc thing going? vids, top speed run

ducatilover
15th August 2012, 22:47
looks better than a standard one in bobber form. should be a factory option eh. less parts.. black.. easy.

id do that since it wouldnt cost much cash

you got the 300cc thing going? vids, top speed run

It's going, running open headers... so it's running like a pig.
Got jets coming and am hoping to have the pipe for my new headers this week.
Goes better down low, can't rev it, it falls on its face lol

If you've heard a loud single, you've heard 'em all lol

Mine hasn't cost anything except paint, tail light and the rebuild really. Oh and headers :D

ducatilover
16th August 2012, 00:32
Quick recap seeing as it's almost done now (headers and tune up pending)
Snapped up for $660
http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd379/dirtydoogle/19042012002.jpg did some stuff http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd379/dirtydoogle/DSC00498.jpg

Parts:
$220 for the 300 kit/cam/cam chain/gasket set
$6 NGK D8EA plug
$60 in paint
$13 for the tail light
$80 exhaust pipe
$10 pod filter
$6 for bigger main jet
One packet of staples for the seat re-shape.
That comes to $1055 or thereabouts.
Not too bad eh?

So when I originally said I wanted a cheap, reliable and simple run around and how many scoffed? :bleh:
Don't doubt the mad

Geeen
16th August 2012, 18:01
is it this one?

when the mrs gets bored of the gn ill do hers like it probably haha :) if she lets me

Yarp, that would be da one

ducatilover
16th August 2012, 18:35
Well, I whippied the head/barrel off, cleaned the surfaces, slammed a new gasket (I had three new base gaskets :blink: ) in with a thin smear of sealnt on/under the gasket.
Thre it all together, torqued it down etc
Went for a 20km ride
I have to say, I am very impressed with how ell it goes.
It should go even better with a set of headers and some better jetting :D
Not really any need to use anything except 5th gear
First is useless, just use second even on hills.

I'll work the gearing out and change the sprockets so it's doing around 7krpm at 100 methinks

I'm bloody happy with this!!!!!!!

tigertim20
16th August 2012, 19:25
Quick recap seeing as it's almost done now (headers and tune up pending)
Snapped up for $660
http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd379/dirtydoogle/19042012002.jpg did some stuff http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd379/dirtydoogle/DSC00498.jpg

Parts:
$220 for the 300 kit/cam/cam chain/gasket set
$6 NGK D8EA plug
$60 in paint
$13 for the tail light
$80 exhaust pipe
$10 pod filter
$6 for bigger main jet
One packet of staples for the seat re-shape.
That comes to $1055 or thereabouts.
Not too bad eh?

So when I originally said I wanted a cheap, reliable and simple run around and how many scoffed? :bleh:
Don't doubt the mad
the bargains are out there. I now have the K4 road legal, total cost around half its value on the open market. patience and a willingness to do the work yourself yields great rewards

Fast Eddie
16th August 2012, 20:11
haha she looks good!

yip, i had a loud ass 600cc single. yamaha srx 6. all good fun haha.

ducatilover
16th August 2012, 23:39
the bargains are out there. I now have the K4 road legal, total cost around half its value on the open market. patience and a willingness to do the work yourself yields great rewards Yeah man, my CB400 owed me under $1500, wof/reg, new seat cover and a Sport Demon :D
The 600, pre flip, owed me in the region of 14-1500 :woohoo:

haha she looks good!

yip, i had a loud ass 600cc single. yamaha srx 6. all good fun haha.
Fuck yeah, singles rock.

Spent the evening hacking a stuffed bit of rotten double walled pipe out the original y pipe so I could fit it together and bodge-job the muffler on
Sounds tits, will see how well it runs tomorrow (have nooootttthing to do really, so I think I'll spend the day on the bike)

I'm going to go 16/39 sprockets over the stock 15/41, I chucked the data in to gearing commander and it'll be plodding along at just under 6k, it certainly has the grunt for it now :love:

Drew
17th August 2012, 09:39
Spent the evening hacking a stuffed bit of rotten double walled pipe out the original y pipe so I could fit it together and bodge-job the muffler on
Sounds tits, will see how well it runs tomorrow (have nooootttthing to do really, so I think I'll spend the day on the bike)

This is the shit there should be photos of.

No one wants to see your poor painting skills!

ducatilover
17th August 2012, 11:49
This is the shit there should be photos of.

No one wants to see your poor painting skills!

There shall be photos, you gotta wait because I just want to ride this beast:Punk:

Oblivion
17th August 2012, 20:06
There shall be photos, you gotta wait because I just want to ride this beast:Punk:

Stuff your needs. What about ours? :spanking:

Just kidding. Don't hit 88mph on that beast though. Who knows what might happen...... :Police:

ducatilover
17th August 2012, 20:51
big set back, Geoff is smoking more than I do :( I'm pretty sure I'm gonna need to throw another set of rings at him. Other than that, he goes really well

ducatilover
18th August 2012, 16:56
Righto, the cheapo "OEM spec" rings gave up under the compression :facepalm:
So, until I can source some higher quality rings to suit, I'll run the .5mm O/S kit I have

The clutch has given up under the torque :shutup: I'll shim the springs and see if that helps, the plates were well within spec.
The 300cc/compression/porting/exhaust/pod filter has made a massive difference, even with it blowing by and slipping clutch under hard throttle it'd wipe the floor with a normal GN, extremely impressive stuff :innocent:

I fucking love riding it...

caseye
18th August 2012, 17:16
PIC's ya mongrel!
An yes of the smoke and the clutch and the grin,K.

ducatilover
18th August 2012, 21:49
PIC's ya mongrel!
An yes of the smoke and the clutch and the grin,K.
Been far too busy enjoying the noises it makes on the overrun sorry!
I'll get piccies tomorrow :D

2 hours and 37 minutes to rip everything off including the barrel, rings seem okay to me, the headgasket hasn't sealed though after about 200km of hot running :facepalm: it still looks brand new and untouched. Fuckin' thing!
Cleaned everything, got the straight edge out, no issues there (phew!)
The head was done to the Suzuki 45nm, which frankly could be done with my dick it's that loose. So I've errr done 'em a tiny bit tighter than that (read, those fuckers are a lot tighter)
Will test ride it tomorrow, if it still fucks me around, I'm putting the .5mm O/S kit on and finding new rings.

Fingers crossed peoples!

:confused:

EDIT: That time doesn't count, allow me another 30 min to do the clutch springs and check the plates again...
Poo!

Geeen
18th August 2012, 22:00
Have you factored in time for a cup 'o tea and a smoke?????

ducatilover
18th August 2012, 22:09
Have you factored in time for a cup 'o tea and a smoke?????

Two cups of tea and I smoke while I work :innocent: it's amazing I haven't caught on fire!
Was a wee bit slow anyway, being pedantic and I have some weird infection in a few cuts on my hands :blink: AIDS or some shit probably

ducatilover
19th August 2012, 11:33
Can't test ride Geoff today, got bandages and shit all over my hands because of these cute little infections :facepalm:

But, I have researched a wee bit in to new rings/piston of decent quality for the beast.
Turns out, it's running a Chinese knock off GSXR1100K 78mm piston :D so this has opened up a shit load of options
This mean, rings = cheap/easy.
Pistons are easy to get, in more or less any size, shape, flavour or whatever
I CAN BORE THIS FUCKER OUT MORE

:sunny:

Fast Eddie
19th August 2012, 11:41
dear Doug,

please put a 190 rear tyre on it, drop the front forks as much as possible so the nose is draggin and back is jacked up..

race me

love

El Kai-da

ducatilover
19th August 2012, 11:49
dear Doug,

please put a 190 rear tyre on it, drop the front forks as much as possible so the nose is draggin and back is jacked up..

race me

love

El Kai-da
:woohoo: Sounds legit, I'm in

ducatilover
19th August 2012, 21:34
Pics for you fellas with my hoary exhaust set up (I really, really love the muffler though)
200km of shit and dirt all up it, super high temp paint on the engine covers falling off... looks like a fucking rat bike now :facepalm:

I found why it was smoking, this is a laugh

The dowels I got with the kit for the barrel to crankcase locating were 12.8mm, the OEM ones are 12.98+/- .01mm (yes, I have spare dowels, I'm like that, because fuck you)
So after I torqued the head down, I bolted the barrel down (just as Suzuki said), but because the dowels were that tiny bit undersize and the barrel only bolts down on the RHS...it pulled the whole lot over! I had around .15mm clearance on the RHS of the bore and next to none on the other :facepalm:
Shit, bugger and wank I say!!!!
Then I found it had cracked the rings (no surprise really) and I had a nice wee bunch of ring ends (lol, entendre) in the oil.

So what I've done today:
Sworn a lot.
Pulled the 300 kit out, installed new dowels and the 0.5mm O/S DR250 bits
Started it up, blew a wee bit of smoke (there was a reasonable amount of oil in the ports and headers) and then cleared up.

Odd how I just happened to have a new OEM head gasket sitting around... :D
Will take it out after I go get my stupid infected phalanges seen to tomorrow :woohoo: seems to be running beautifully though

I shimmed the clutch springs too

caseye
19th August 2012, 22:18
Nice little pea shooter there! Well, these things are sent to try us, good finding and solving looking damn fine.

ducatilover
19th August 2012, 22:24
Cheers mate :yes:

Might find some hammerite for those engine covers and give that a go, loving the satin black look though.

ducatilover
20th August 2012, 15:26
Geoff's running well again :D
Just letting it cool to do clearances then I'll jet it for the mighty 250cc motor.

New engine plans :shifty:
If I keep a GN barrel, I can take it out enough to get 340cc out of it on standard stroke.
I'll try keep it as "GN" as possible eh?
340cc, cam, reshaped combustion chamber, ported head, TM33 carb even moar compression.
I reckon that'll see a healthy 35hp at the tread

Now to find an 84mm piston with a similar compression height and 18mm gudgeon!

Drew
20th August 2012, 16:36
Geoff's running well again :D
Just letting it cool to do clearances then I'll jet it for the mighty 250cc motor.

New engine plans :shifty:
If I keep a GN barrel, I can take it out enough to get 340cc out of it on standard stroke.
I'll try keep it as "GN" as possible eh?
340cc, cam, reshaped combustion chamber, ported head, TM33 carb even moar compression.
I reckon that'll see a healthy 35hp at the tread

Now to find an 84mm piston with a similar compression height and 18mm gudgeon!It is heartening to see someone throwing caution to the wind, and for the sake of just doing something to find out what a snapped crankshaft actually looks like.

We will get a picture of it I hope.:Punk:

bogan
20th August 2012, 16:42
10 bucks says the main roller bearing shits itself before the crank snaps:Punk:

We should fully setup a failure mode sweepstake :D

Drew
20th August 2012, 16:49

We should fully setup a failure mode sweepstake :DFour stroke that doesn't run shells?

ducatilover
20th August 2012, 22:17
Four stroke that doesn't run shells? Ball bearings my friend lol :facepalm: the box is needle rollers, balance shaft and crank are ball bearings... very big ones may I add

It is heartening to see someone throwing caution to the wind, and for the sake of just doing something to find out what a snapped crankshaft actually looks like.

We will get a picture of it I hope.:Punk:
Can't have a practical bike now can I? This motor build is going to take a while and a lot of boring research (I fucking love research by the way!) so you'll have to wait a wee bit.
One thing I'd like to figure out is if I can stick a DR350 crank in, longer throw, and run a different rod to retain a similar deck height
Seeing as my rod is ball bearing big end, I'll be able to mod one to fit fucking anything :D

We should fully setup a failure mode sweepstake :D
I'll have to agree there lol going to be a fair bit off stress on the poor thing.
The clutch won't last 5 minutes though

Good news, the .5mm kit runs well, have done the clearances and flushing the oil over night, will top it back up tomorrow and tune it (hopefully I got them clearances right!!!!)

ducatilover
20th August 2012, 22:19
And fuck yes, pics will be plentiful when it snaps the crank!

EDIT:

After some google love I'm very keen to try fit a DR350 crank in, the crank swaps in to DR250 cases, so... in theory lol

What I now need to do is find a fucked 350 bottom end or just the crank and try it in my DR250 cases which are the same as the GN (minus elec start)

If it works, on an 84mm bore it'll be just over 394cc which means I can run a smaller bore but still have plenty of cubes :D

Anyone got a munted DR350 crank floating around? No point buying a decent one 'till I know fer sure that I can do it.

ducatilover
21st August 2012, 22:50
After doing the clearances I was still getting a top end rattle, nothing big, but my bike has to run PERFECT!!!!
So I took the valve cover off after checking clearances again (had already eliminated cam chain tensioner, swapped 'em over, counted the turns out etc)
And it turned out to be the cam sprocket, 4.9mm on the top of the teeth, cannot remember what the other was, but it was near .5mm bigger or so.
There be the problem! Cam chain movement isn't my favourite thing.

So me, being me went a bit over the top while the valve cover was off.
Blanked the tach drive properly as it was seeping.
Got the original GN valve cover, whipped the rockers out and compared them with the DR ones.
The DR ones look like the cam follwers have been re-faced and are in much prettier condition, so I kept them.

While those rocker shafts were out I noticed the factory spacers for the rockers on the shafts would cause a bit of drag, so I assembled on with the original spacers and one with Dougtastic ones, I was right!
Realised I had yet again worked on a GN for several hours being pedantic as fuck... so I'll pop the cover on tomorrow... and have to set the fucking clearances again!!!

ducatilover
23rd August 2012, 00:23
Unlike everyone on this forum, I own motorcycles and come here to discuss them.
So, today I did things and stuff to do with motorbikes (I know, I'm talking about bikes on a bike forum, WTF right?) :tugger:

Was still getting a rattle after doing the cam sprocket, so I've cranked the shits with the top end and have pulled it down (the noise is probably my parinoia?)
Putting a different cam chain, tensioner, rockers/rocker shafts and the old head (which admittedly has moar port work done anyway)

I haven't checked everything over yet, but the noise was very loose tappety type, or bent/stuck valve, was more prominent on the overrun
I'm thinking it might be a good idea to mod one of the tensioners to a manual one?

Does anyone here actually read this thread as it's about a motorcycle? Maybe I should enter it in parliament and give it a gay marriage with my Kawasaki

Drew
23rd August 2012, 06:50
I read it Doug, we just can't believe how sick you are sometimes, so don't reply.

Carry on.

willytheekid
23rd August 2012, 08:05
I read ya stuff mate...you tells bestest storys!:yes:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-6lLRORwQIOo/T0xZluuFdQI/AAAAAAAADZY/Qk9FYFjSMhw/s1600/funny-pictures-scary-cat.jpg

:laugh:, Keep up the great work Doug, some of us are interested...honest! (Im mean, its NOT like we are waiting for you catch fire or somthin :blink::innocent:)

ps: one word for ya...SUPERCHARGER! ....:eek:

unstuck
23rd August 2012, 08:16
Less about the fuckin bike, and more about bitches, bitch.:Punk: