PDA

View Full Version : Not that new, but new bike (nathan.read)

nathan.read
19th April 2012, 16:43
I rode bikes FR80 scooter, got my licence on that, then a GN250 back in the late 80's when I was at uni and couldn't afford a cage.
Then took a break until 1998 when my daughter was born, and we couldn't afford a second cage, that was an old Honda CB250N
Then another break until two years ago when I bought and then re-registered an 1986 Honda CX400 Custom, I have bee riding it for the last two years, and replacing cables (clutch, choke and rev) fork seals indicators and flasher unit, then the ignition gave up so wired in a new key down by the battery then earlier this year after putting two new tyres and a second hand rear wheel with a less worn brake drum tI had to do the mechanical seal on the water pump... the bike is back still going well, rego and wof and I was enjoying riding it until......

I had some money in the bank and thought I would buy a sports tourer, after a lot of online research I settled on a Honda CB900 Hornet.

One came up locally on trademe so I went for a test ride, I did an online transfer and was riding it home within 30 minutes....

It is so much fun!!!!

I had thought I would keep my old CX400 for occasional rides, but after riding the Hornet home and then shifting the CX from the garage to the shed (my wife wont let me park them both in the garage as I also have a 4x4, ride on mower etc etc) the CX just wasnt the same anymore.

Now I have to decide do I really need to keep the CX400, sure its nice to ride but doing 100km/h feels like 100km/h, the CB900 doing 100 feels like I have just passed 30km... who knew a sports tourer would be so great to ride?

Any thoughts on the CX, that has now done 93,000km, had $1,000 spent on it in the last couple of months and is good for another 93,000km.

dogsnbikes
19th April 2012, 16:52
Get rid of the ride-on and get the wife a push mower she can keep in the shed,move the bike back into the garage...:shutup:

depends on wether you think you need two bikes??I myself need at least 3 bikes and I have time for them all,

Do you have time for more than one bike in your life if the answer is no sell it.

Ender EnZed
19th April 2012, 17:00
Any thoughts on the CX, that has now done 93,000km, had $1,000 spent on it in the last couple of months and is good for another 93,000km.

You'd be lucky to get $1000 for it. But, given that you're probably never going to ride it again, you may as well have $1000 of beer instead.

nathan.read
19th April 2012, 17:12
I know I would be lucky to get $1,000 for the old CX, it is probably worth more as parts but only to other CX riders and to be honest I can't be bothered parting it out.

I will give the CX one last clean and then put it on trademe, and see what happens.

As for getting rid of the ride on and getting my wife to do the lawns, she would just let her horses in and then there goes my orchard :)