PDA

View Full Version : Cam tensioner for 97 cbr

baffa
20th April 2012, 11:54
Hey all, was riding along thru today when all of a sudden i notice a horrible noise coming from the motor. A guy from the local bikeshop was nice enough to stop and trailer me to the workshop for a quick look. Turns out the cam chain tensioner is fked, and it seems there are none available in the country. If anyone knows a source or has a spare rattling around plz let me no. Now i hav to pray the chain didnt jump when the tensioner failed.

Timmeh:P
20th April 2012, 13:22
Shit Baffa, that bike is causing you some headaches.

Would this fit?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-CBR900rr-1993-93-97-CAM-CHAIN-TENSIONER-/190372741467?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item2c5319815b#ht_3335wt_1078

baffa
20th April 2012, 14:52
Thanks bro, ill look into it.

GSF
20th April 2012, 18:17
Maybe give Econohonda a try, they are always good guys to deal with.

http://www.econohonda.co.nz/

Fast Eddie
20th April 2012, 18:32
I'v got one an old one I could send up. its been converted to manual tensioner tho. its a normal genuine honda auto tensioner tho, maybe if u remove my long bolt it will be fine still as auto tensioner.. u could try it anyway.

I had same problems with my blade last year. started going thru tensioners due to cam chain needing to be replaced

pm me, I'm racing tmoro so wont be able to send it til mon/tues. Will need post money too ;) cause im a tight cunt.

if u go thru another tensioner, save the money on buying a third and get ur cam chain replaced ;) haha i went thru i think 3 tensioners in the end, 2 in the space of a month or 2 before clicked it was cam chain chewing the tensioners.

the chain wouldnt have jumped off, I'v run my engine a few times while the tensioner failed... she'll be sweet (no guarantees)

Fast Eddie
20th April 2012, 18:34
oh and further to my rambling.. genuine honda auto tensioners should be quick in the country anyway. both MCR Dunedin and old Casbolts in chch supplied me with tensioners in good time.

or go with an Ape manual tensioner, they come recommended and fit the blades easy.

spanner spinner
20th April 2012, 22:54
Hey all, was riding along thru today when all of a sudden i notice a horrible noise coming from the motor. A guy from the local bikeshop was nice enough to stop and trailer me to the workshop for a quick look. Turns out the cam chain tensioner is fked, and it seems there are none available in the country. If anyone knows a source or has a spare rattling around plz let me no. Now i hav to pray the chain didnt jump when the tensioner failed.

how many km's has the bike done, if it is close to or over 50000kms do the cam chain at the same time or the bike will juist keep eating tensioners

spanner spinner
20th April 2012, 23:00
have a look at http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/142718-Fireblade-camchain-noises

baffa
21st April 2012, 10:34
Thanks Spanner Spinner, I checked that thread out when I was considering buying a blade.

Fast Eddie: yeah, Id be keen on the manual tensioner to get me mobile.

cheesemethod
23rd April 2012, 13:29
http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/CBR1000FV-1997/part_88658/

I've used these guys in the past, they were great to deal with, and gave me a quote inc shipping so I could work out if it was cheaper than buying local. It was half the price of Honda NZ, and turned up on my doorstep in 8 days.

Haggis2
23rd April 2012, 13:41
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-CBR900-RR-600-F3-F4-F4i-919-cam-chain-tensioner-/290699385820?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item43af089bdc

Fast Eddie
23rd April 2012, 16:35
hey bro, here are some pics of the tensioner I sent up today.. you shouldnt have any probs installing it to your bike it is pretty simple. Sing out if u get stuck tho.

so yea, youll need a wee screwdriver to fit down the top, flat head.

wind the tensioner back into its housing and hold it there, install it to the bike while holding screwdriver in there and keeping tensioner fully retracted. Once properly installed and tightened u can release the screwdriver and let tensioner ping out onto ur cam chain. Then install the small cap bolt I supplied first and see if it works as an auto tensioner. if not then u see the long bolt, chuck that in, should look similar to the last photo when ur done on the bike..

refer to my PMs for the detail etc or sing out if ur stuck. good luck, if it gets rid of the noise u may want to invest in a brand new genuine honda auto tensioner as the one I've given u was one I had on my bike with the worn cam chain so it may not last long either but then again it might.. if u have it as a manual tensioner it will last forever ;)

anyway good luck..

but yea like spanner spinner said (and the thread he pointed out which was my thread/my bike) these cam chains do wear out, I replaced mine at about 50,000km I think. But I also had mine beyond redline a wee bit haha.. who knows. good luck bro. the good news is cam chains are cheap as. much cheaper than tensioners.

Fast Eddie
23rd April 2012, 16:50
oh they all have a white dot on them, so make sure u pay attention to which way ur white dot is on the one in your bike now and install this one with the dot facing same way ;)

baffa
23rd April 2012, 17:48
Such a legend.
If you ever head to Auckland, sing out, Ill shout you a beer.
(then daterape you and steal your bike)

Thanks again.

Fast Eddie
23rd April 2012, 17:57
haha if you were a girl the date rape thing would be more appealing ;)

will do man. I do venture to the north once in a while. My parents live in Tauranga/Papamoa