PDA

View Full Version : CB900 Hornet with Kiwi X bars

nathan.read
20th April 2012, 21:18
I have just bought a CB900 Hornet, it has Kiwi X bars (blue if that makes any difference).
My last bike was an old Honda CX400 Custom.

I find the the Hornet's bars feel further forward, causing me to lean forward, which I find uncomfortable, they also feel very wide.

Is there another set of bars I can put on the bike that will mean I can sit more upright, alternatively can I have the Kiwi X bars bent so they are higher and narrower?

Thanks in advance for your comments

Gremlin
20th April 2012, 22:27
There are a heap of options, even in a single brand, Renthal for example, which is what I have. All the dimensions in the bars, swoop, angle, rise, width etc, can have different values.

I can't really recommend a particular one to you, as it depends on your size and riding posture you want. I'm 6'3, and love my wide bars, others say they feel far too stretched on it. Wide bars are better in my opinion as it increases leverage, making it easier to move the bike around... but harder to fit through narrower gaps.

HenryDorsetCase
20th April 2012, 22:31
the stock bars on them were shit. narrow and high with a weird bend. I had a set of Renthal "Street high" then a set of "Street low" bars on it. they were good but its entirely about what you find comfortable.

nathan.read
21st April 2012, 06:53
So the answer is, do not bend the bars on it but try a few options out then....

Thank you for your comments

nzspokes
21st April 2012, 07:18
No dont try to bend the bars, they will snap either when you try to do it or later when your riding.

ktm84mxc
21st April 2012, 07:59
Spokes is right never try to bend them as it will weaken the metal and it's very hard to get the sides to match unless you're using a press.
First adjust the bars in the clamps to suit you[pull back] width can be adjusted by cutting down the bars but first slide up levers & light blocks to see how much you can remove usually 25-50mm per side and take it from there.

nathan.read
21st April 2012, 08:23
Its is higher and closer that I need, the bike must have been owned by someone with longer arms than me!!!

Coolz
21st April 2012, 11:33
I bought some bars from Shaw's in Whangarei. The bloke there told me to bring them back if I wasn't happy and he would exchange them as long as I was carefull and didn't scratch the chrome. He said if I couldn't find anything I liked they could even get some custom made for me.

nathan.read
21st April 2012, 12:14
I moved my bars back a little, felt more natural, then went for a ride... Dam was it fun or what!!!

I called into the Honda shop, got a free Honda key ring, cheers. Found out my bars are higher than standard.

Noticed on the way home I started ducking down a little (when just ahmmm over 100kph) I will give these bars a bit longer to see if I get use to them, I think I might.

AllanB
21st April 2012, 12:41
The stock bars are seriously gay. I'm running Renthal ultra lows, if your bike is the one on TM recently with blue bars you should be able to cut a bit off each end if you find them too wide. You'll need to drill a small hole to locate the switch gear again.

HenryDorsetCase
21st April 2012, 13:02
The stock bars are seriously gay. I'm running Renthal ultra lows, if your bike is the one on TM recently with blue bars you should be able to cut a bit off each end if you find them too wide. You'll need to drill a small hole to locate the switch gear again.

I never do that.

I do not like the idea of drilling holes in an aluminium bar. I grind the nubbin off the inside of the switchblock and then put a piece of bicycle inner tube round the bar then put the switchblock back on. It never slips, even on the throttle side.

Oh, and for the OP: I put MX bar bar raisers under the clamps on my Street Triple: Mine are 20mm but I could likely have gone a bit higher. cheaper than new bars.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/parts-for-sale/handlebars/auction-467780756.htm (your bars are not oversize by the way they are 7/8ths or 22.2mm from memory

AllanB
22nd April 2012, 10:03
Ah the drill or not drill Internet debate - it is a topical one. I've always drilled, I de-stress the hole surface by taking off the sharp edge with a large drill bit. Plus I've seen factory alloy bars drilled.

HenryDorsetCase
22nd April 2012, 11:29
Ah the drill or not drill Internet debate - it is a topical one. I've always drilled, I de-stress the hole surface by taking off the sharp edge with a large drill bit. Plus I've seen factory alloy bars drilled.

It is all due to the fact that I am an utter numpty. I've heard of people (OK me) ruining a set of new bars by drilling the fucker in the wrong place. one hole maybe. two holes definitely not.

Harry the Barstard
22nd April 2012, 11:45
My 919 got blown over in a storm and bent the stock bars, luckly the handlebars caught my bbq table and no other damage was sustained...... just the excusse i needed to run Renthals on her.

I needed the job done ASAP and i didnt have any time off work in the forseeable future. I ordered the bars from cycletreads and the guys fitted them for me too. I went back there and we figured out how wide i wanted them, they cut them and the job was done. They drilled holes in em, but they had obviously done them before.

Was a nice job, fittment was sub $50 and i didnt get the chance to completely botch the job learning on go. win/win

nzspokes
22nd April 2012, 11:55
It is all due to the fact that I am an utter numpty. I've heard of people (OK me) ruining a set of new bars by drilling the fucker in the wrong place. one hole maybe. two holes definitely not.

I like the idea of not using the holes, my Ninja has holes but I want the front brake lever a bit lower and I cant due to the throttle cables. Im going to try the it next weekend I think. Probably put hot grips on at the same time.

To do it on my clutch lever I had to unplug the wires that go to it, no issue I thought. Went to go for a ride and it wouldnt start. So now ive taken the switch off the lever and cable tied it to the loom. Sorted.

AllanB
22nd April 2012, 14:00

Agree 100% - one hole only. A good way to work out where the hole goes is to roughly work out where it goes and mark that general area in vivid. Refit the controls loosley and sit on the bike (preferably with feet on pegs) and work out where you want the switch blocks, levers set up. Once sorted if you apply a bit of pressure around the pin area and slightly move it back and forth it should leave a small scratch mark on the vivid indicationg where to drill.

nathan.read
27th April 2012, 16:50
Shortened the bars today, as the bike had aftermarket bars on it the previous owner had taken the 'nubs' off the switchgear / brake and clutch levers etc.
I loosened everything, moved it all in then took and inch of the end of the bars, then moved it all back into position etc.

I now have the headlight not always coming on with the key??? Until I work out whats happening I will avoid riding at night, but can anyone shed some light on what wire I may have knocked, Im guessing it is to do with the start button (lights permanently on but the turn off during start up)

23rd May 2012, 10:37
Can anypne recommend any aftermarket bars for a 919 Hornet? The stock ones a too narrow and too viby for me. Was thinking more wider and flatter Renthals or similar but not sure what is avaliable for the Hornet or similar type of bike