PDA

View Full Version : Texting: the new focus?

wkid_one
24th December 2003, 10:27
Texting: It's the new road menace
24 December 2003
By MICHELLE QUIRKE

Text messaging at the wheel is a new menace on New Zealand roads, says the author of a study in which more than half the drivers admitted to using a cellphone while driving.

Massey University lecturer Mark Sullman said the study of 861 drivers' habits found young inexperienced drivers with a taste for high speeds, new cars and powerful engines were among the most likely to make and take calls on the road.

The people who used their cellphones the most were also those who were more likely to have an accident anyway. "It's a recipe for disaster."

Two per cent of drivers said using a mobile phone while driving was not a safety risk, yet overseas research showed drivers were up to nine times more likely to crash, Dr Sullman said.

Though his study focused on mobile phone calls, text messaging was increasingly common and more dangerous as it required more dexterity and concentration, he said.

Automobile Association director of public affairs George Fairbairn said it was also concerned about the trend.

The association supports a proposal for a ban on using hand-held cellphones while driving.

A similar ban is in force in Britain, where motorists face instant fines of E30 (NZ$81) or up to E1000 in court, but hands-free phone kits are exempt.

In Australia, more than 12,710 drivers have been fined since penalties on mobile phone use while driving were introduced last July. Despite the prospect of A$220 (NZ$251) fines and demerit points, a recent Australian survey found a third of motorists admitted talking on a mobile while driving, while one in six had taken their eyes off the road to send or read messages.

Dr Sullman said holding the phone was not the problem. "The real risk factor is the mental workload caused by having a conversation on the phone, decreased control and decreased concentration . . . actually the mental workload caused by hands-free kits is higher than a hand-held phone because the sound quality is not so good. Banning hand-held phones is not the answer. The answer is not using your phone while driving."

I have to agree with this - fucken drivers who have their heads down texting away - pisses me off. What is soooo bloody important that it needs to be answered on the move.

There have actually been cases in the States where the insurance assessor/police have asked for the phone records to PROVE the driver was using a phone at the time of the accident and no hands free kit was installed.

duckman
24th December 2003, 10:41
Hey Wickid,

Not that I have any facts to back this up but wasn't there only about two road accidents last year resulting from cell phone use while driving. ??

I fully agree with you that using a cell phone while driving is bloody rediculous and to try texting while driving is just asking for trouble but with such low stats on this should we be looking at something with a higher mortality rate.

Just a thought.... <_<

Jackrat
24th December 2003, 10:42
So seeing as I don,t own a cell phone,I guess I got something else to feel smug about.Who ever thought there would be benifits to being a technophobic old fart. :whistle: :o

SPman
24th December 2003, 13:37
Hell. Ii use a phone and txt on the move (well, only on the motorway in peak hour traffic) Doesnt seem that much of a distraction to me - unless the phone rings and I cant find the fucker!

Jackrat
24th December 2003, 14:59
Hey Wickid,

Not that I have any facts to back this up but wasn't there only about two road accidents last year resulting from cell phone use while driving. ??

I fully agree with you that using a cell phone while driving is bloody rediculous and to try texting while driving is just asking for trouble but with such low stats on this should we be looking at something with a higher mortality rate.

Just a thought.... <_<

Like motorcycles :Oops:

merv
24th December 2003, 16:39
So seeing as I don,t own a cell phone,I guess I got something else to feel smug about.Who ever thought there would be benifits to being a technophobic old fart. :whistle: :o

Good on ya - don't want to be a slave to the technology eh!

Jackrat
24th December 2003, 18:43
Good on ya - don't want to be a slave to the technology eh!
Yeah,I have a phone in the house,a phone in the shed,a PC in front of me,a radio for the boat,Jezzzzz,got,a draw a line somewhere.

Marmoot
24th December 2003, 18:52
Yes, cell phone is a public nuisance when it rings (especially in cinemas), invasion of privacy, cost stupidly expensive to call, and needlessly change according to trend. Might have been the worst invention ever. And I own one.... :doh:

But I agree driving while holding up a phone often can be dangerous. I have plenty of near-misses with those people talking on the phone. Normally they just veer of to one side (mostly right) and get into my lane.

But I don't think it has high mortality risk. I think it just gives more rear-ending and side-scraping incidents. Unless motorway is limited to 200kph :D

wkid_one
25th December 2003, 17:23
Hey Wickid,

Honestly - fucked if I know......just copied the article from Stuff.co.nz as I supposed most riders, like myself, have had near misses with nonces using the phone while driving

Marmoot
25th December 2003, 18:10
Near-misses don't go into statistics.........

What?
26th December 2003, 06:03
...on the move... on the motorway in peak hour traffic..
Contradiction in terms? :o

What?
26th December 2003, 06:09
Hey Wickid,

The LTSA don't have stuff-all in the way of facts, either. Their blurb was on the lines of two fatals attributed to cell phone use. I would guess that if someone crashed at 120K while using the phone, their demise would be attributed to excessive speed rather than use of the phone leading to loss of control. It's just like Mark Twain said...