PDA

View Full Version : It's cool, but the fucker doesn't work (HDD Gyrocompass)

bogan
21st April 2012, 19:24
http://www.instructables.com/id/Gyrocompass-Dead-Reckonator/

My latest instructable. Any kiwibikers with ideas on how to make the fucker work?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qMbU1xWEUN8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

jonbuoy
22nd April 2012, 08:47
Hi mate,

I service marine gyrocompasses amongst other things, whats up with it? Usuall problems with marine north seeking gyros are rotor not up to speed or too much friction in the bearings or gymbals.

bogan
22nd April 2012, 09:10
Yeh that's about all I can think of too. What size/speed rotors do they use in commercial ones?

jonbuoy
22nd April 2012, 09:55
Yeh that's about all I can think of too. What size/speed rotors do they use in commercial ones?

Depends, older Models use quite heavy Rotors spinning at lower rpms the newer ones use much smaller rotors but higher speeds. Older ones are fully servicable down to the bearings, newer ones are factory overhaul only with only external gymbal and follow up parts servicable. Put it this way if you pick up the rotor casing of something like a Tokimec ES11 rotor running at only 10krpm or so from memory (we measure rotor speed from the current draw and voltage on the rotor) you need a firm grip with both hands, if you turn it in your hands the bugger will do its best to fight you, surprising how much power is in them. Those rotors weigh a few kilos, your hard drive platter has nowhere near the inertia so your gymbal will have to be spot on. Best way to check bearings is with no rotor fitted to the gymbal, should be as friction free as you can get it. I've noticed a bit of fight back when picking up a hard drive but not much.

wtf?
22nd April 2012, 17:35
Yeah, whats wrong with it?

If you want it to point the same direction on your desk, I assume you've made a compensation for latitude?

Earth rate or apparent wander.
Transport wander
Real, or random wander.

jonbuoy
22nd April 2012, 17:56
Yeah, whats wrong with it?

If you want it to point the same direction on your desk, I assume you've made a compensation for latitude?

Earth rate or apparent wander.
Transport wander
Real, or random wander.

Won't need to worry about that unless its north seeking which is a lot more complicated, could work as a free space gyro with a gymbal and slip rings.

bogan
22nd April 2012, 18:17
Yeh the plan was to have it north seeking. But from the example jonbuoy has given, there just isn't anywhere near enough rotational inertia in the rotor to overcome the gimbal friction.

I was going to get onto fluid damping and latitude correction later, but since the earths spin doesn't cause it to precess at all, there is no point doing either.

Oakie
22nd April 2012, 19:22
Well I'm lost.

wtf?
22nd April 2012, 19:48
but since the earths spin doesn't cause it to precess at all

sounds like real wander is far greater than apparent. either get better bearings or can you spin it up faster with more volts dude?

bogan
22nd April 2012, 19:52
Well I'm lost.

Well then, I have just the product you are looking for, how would you like to know whether you are still heading in the same direction as before! This device can do that, and look good too. Order now and you'll also receive a reaming from our billing department :banana:

can you spin it up faster with more volts dude?

I like the way you think, I already tripled the voltage, which is a high as my motor controller will go (15V), though I've heard people get the motors up to 50V. Which might cut it, of course if a platter fell apart at those speeds there would be some other things getting cut too :nono:

wtf?
22nd April 2012, 20:00
Well then, I have just the product you are looking for, how would you like to know whether you are still heading in the same direction as before! This device can do that, and look good too. Order now and you'll also receive a reaming from our billing department :banana:

I like the way you think, I already tripled the voltage, which is a high as my motor controller will go (15V), though I've heard people get the motors up to 50V. Which might cut it, of course if a platter fell apart at those speeds there would be some other things getting cut too :nono:

Alternatively, get a multi platter HDD unit. As multi as you can get.

I'd be surprised if it fell apart, they weigh f all and I reckon you could get a fair few rpms out of it. If in doubt, put a mudguard on it.

bogan
22nd April 2012, 20:02
Alternatively, get a multi plater HDD unit. As multi as you can get.

Got six of them on there at the mo, double what it is supposed to have. And starting it is pretty tricky. Would probably need about 20 or 30 of the bastards to get it going, not overly practical.

wtf?
22nd April 2012, 20:27
better bearings then. not an easy fix tho.

mashman
22nd April 2012, 20:59
could you go bearingless and use an electromagnet? Or are you just going for the HDD one... coz I have no clue. Look like fun though.

bogan
22nd April 2012, 21:07
could you go bearingless and use an electromagnet? Or are you just going for the HDD one... coz I have no clue. Look like fun though.

Yeh, was a HDD salvage project, upgrading the bearings sound like it'll blow out my $0 budget!

wtf?
22nd April 2012, 22:08
model aeroplane pilots use cheap as frictionless magnet balancers for their propellors. may be you could adapt one to suit you?