PDA

View Full Version : LED There Be Light

Mom
22nd April 2012, 17:31
Being something of a boi racer type, I have had a hankering to "pimp my ride" in the form of some mood lighting. Have procrastinated in this regard until I got utterly sick of myself and ventured out into LED land and bought myself some LED strips.

Was recommended to visit http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...ecs%2Ffalm.htm. Found the site easy to navigate and easily found exactly what I wanted. They have a $25 minimum order, though I needed to spend that to get what I wanted anyway. The lights arrived in good time and with no problems and sat on my bench for a few weeks periodically reminding me just how slack I am :D

Now it is fair to say I have almost no idea about motorcycle electrics at all, but figure it cant be that hard to install a few point and play lights, surely it cant? I stand corrected, it is not a job for one who knows nothing about electrics and whats more does not even possess a multi meter. I do now :yes: Having a very fundamental knowledge of circuitry was no help at all :rofl:

What I am good at is taking things apart :yes: and drinking wine :yes: I sneakily invited a young, much more cleverer fella than me up to "observe" and some how he ended up doing the entire job :whistle: We set about dismantling Millie. Dont they look fugly with no clothes on :o

Mom
22nd April 2012, 17:41
Before I go to much further, I would really like to thank nathanwhite for his hard work, blood (though that came from something unconnected to Millie), sweat (when smoke appears) and tears (of laughter, mine). Thanks Doogle, you really are a fantastic young man, I appreciated your help very much :love:

Not only did this top young bloke come and work on my Millie he managed to find me a Workshop Service Manual for Millie. Of course it was put to good use. Notice the range of tools we offered up. Duct tape, a hammer and a soldering iron that does not get hot enough to melt the solder unless you hold your face a certain way, resembles a grimace, but is actually a silent scream of frustration :innocent:

Mom
22nd April 2012, 17:54
As most of us will know, everything has a certain amount of smoke contained inside it. I discovered that size does not matter in relation to the amount of smoke that something contains. Doogle created this amazing connection to the battery, for our brand new wiring circuit, complete with "proper" connectors and everything. Very impressive stuff, see the pic attached. Attached said connection to the battery very proudly, and proceeded to apply some wire cutters to the wire. Well...

Funniest thing I have ever seen in my life. Sparks galore, smoke and sound effects, young Doogle almost swore (it does not count when you swear in German eh?) and I started laughing :laugh: Probably should have been a bit more serious, but I could see it was a small electrical issue not a major fire. Poor bugger about had kittens :rofl:

Laava
22nd April 2012, 18:05
Where's the money shot?

Mom
22nd April 2012, 18:09
So it is all going along easy peasy. Lights are taped into position for final adjustment, all wires are routed back to the amazingling busy junction box, I am starting to get excited :yes: I am about bursting to see the effects that I am hoping will be visible once we liven up the circuit.

One small problem, it is broad friggen daylight! Lights are very ineffective durning the day. I suggested we wheel Millie into the downstairs bedroom, but her handle bars dont fit through the door apparently :scratch: So we sette for the games room with the curtains drawn and Maha doing a terrible pose holding a sleeping bag up to attempt to darken the room :clap:

Doogle would not let me look at the lights, while he tested them in case I had some kind of fit I think, so when he finally did the big reveal it was so cool! I could see just how they were going to look, I was happiness filled. I walked behind Mille to see what the red lights looked like from behind and asked the blondest question ever :yes:

Can you turn the tail lights on so I can see what they look like with the LED's? EH? Oh deary me... Millie has no tail light, everything else works, just not the tail light.

Now we had a few technical difficulties during the day with my identification of certain coloured wires that needed to be together to make the correct circuit. Apparently it is really hard to tell if a black wire has a white stripe, not just once, but twice :weep: so this was probably more of the same.

I called a halt on proceedings and we retired upstairs for a feed.

Laava
22nd April 2012, 18:16
Show me the money!!!!

Mom
22nd April 2012, 18:25
Will be in the next post I promise :bleh:

We got back into discovering just why the tail lights did not work after a well deserved rest and a kai. As it was getting dark I wanted to ensure we were offering a safe working environment to who by now should have been on the clock for payment this "easy" job having taken so friggen long :lol:

So we fussed about turning the circuit from this kind of one, to that kind of one? Farked if I know, It all got really over my head by the end of the evening :weird:

Laava
22nd April 2012, 18:29
Actually, you need to explain the earmuffs!
Hmm?

Mom
22nd April 2012, 18:33
Photos suck! She looks so much better than what we have, but here she IS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Mom
22nd April 2012, 18:34
Hmm?

Have you seen the One Direction Hysteria this weekend? Sort of the same here on Saturday, though it was all about Millie :o

Subike
22nd April 2012, 18:35
Dang that looks neat as,
Wants me want to be crazy and attack mine with something similar.

Mom
22nd April 2012, 18:42
Dang that looks neat as,
Wants me want to be crazy and attack mine with something similar.

The pics suck. But the bike looks amazing! It is every bit as good as I hoped it would be. We wired it to the tail light circuit so the lights are ultimately controlled by the ignition, but we also have included a remote on/off so I can pick and choose when they are on or not.

The only thing I can say is...

DO IT! DO IT!

Hell fun times and makes you feel great. I cant wait till winter really sets in now. My commute is mostly in the dark during winter :sunny:

Subike
22nd April 2012, 18:54
I am fortunate to have some sneaky hideaway places to put lights that will look good
One bonus of plastic chrome, easy to drill little hidden holes into, and plastic glue will hold the led's in place well

like you commuting to work in the early morning before daylight, then again after dusk,

bogan
22nd April 2012, 18:58
haha, nice!

Though I have to ask, did you play dress-ups with the poor man? I can't figure out any other reason to wear high-vis, ear-muffs and safety glasses for wiring...

My GN got the blue light treatment many years ago, you're right about the pics not doing it justice.

HID retrofit next? CCFL ring with HID projector makes the front look mint, and you can see so much better :banana:

Maha
22nd April 2012, 19:00
Hmm?

Truth be known Al, it was because of my constant singing of 'Hey Hey we're the Monkeys' that Doogle got tied of...:cool:
Bike looks amazing...big thanks to doogie and his relentless task of sorting the wiring circuit out over and over. Anne made him soup for tea from a crown pumkin earlier in the day, big day that it was..finally got to bed around 11pm :sleep:

Laava
22nd April 2012, 19:16
And then I saw her face, dun dun dun dun
now I'm a believer dun dun dun dun

Mom
22nd April 2012, 19:16
haha, nice!

Though I have to ask, did you play dress-ups with the poor man? I can't figure out any other reason to wear high-vis, ear-muffs and safety glasses for wiring...

My GN got the blue light treatment many years ago, you're right about the pics not doing it justice.

HID retrofit next? CCFL ring with HID projector makes the front look mint, and you can see so much better :banana:

Shhhhhhh, it is not nice to suggest I played dressup with Doogle :rofl: But I might have :o

Mind you we had had sparks, smoke and spitting solder so I did not want to take too many risks with him :innocent:

He was mumbling on about so sort of projector blah, blah, blah before he went to bed :dodge:

Geeen
22nd April 2012, 19:21
Truth be known Al, it was because of my constant singing of 'Hey Hey we're the Monkeys' that Doogle got tied of...:cool:
Bike looks amazing...big thanks to doogie and his relentless task of sorting the wiring circuit out over and over. Anne made him soup for tea from a crown pumkin earlier in the day, big day that it was..finally got to bed around 11pm :sleep:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgyZCgw6kdw

:msn-wink:

nzspokes
22nd April 2012, 19:23
Its something I would like to do to my bike. But more because my bike being black it disappears at night. I do worry that going through and intersection it wouldnt be seen from the side. Do they do gold ones?

I also want to LED my rear lights, do they do LED bulbs to go into existing lights?

That looks cool being two colours. :cool:

bogan
22nd April 2012, 19:24
Shhhhhhh, it is not nice to suggest I played dressup with Doogle :rofl: But I might have :o

Mind you we had had sparks, smoke and spitting solder so I did not want to take too many risks with him :innocent:

He was mumbling on about so sort of projector blah, blah, blah before he went to bed :dodge:

bloody hell, sounds like the risk might have been letting him in the garage to begin with!

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=927 That should keep the mumbling going then...

Laava
22nd April 2012, 22:11
Here is my latest lighting job.
Oh and I made the oars too.
Sorry it isn't a motorbike!

mossy1200
22nd April 2012, 22:12

The Blob is eating your canoe.

Laava
22nd April 2012, 22:15
I hope that isn't a euphamism!

mossy1200
22nd April 2012, 22:28
Photos suck! She looks so much better than what we have, but here she IS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

That would make finding your tent at motorcycle rallies so easy.

mossy1200
22nd April 2012, 22:32
I hope that isn't a euphamism!

Your confusing me with your big words and cultured art. My mind went blank and in poped the blob swallowing a guy in a phone box. Its only now that I realise the blob was pink and your canoe pillow is blue, better looking and alot less dangerous.

I take back what I said.

Mom
23rd April 2012, 06:11

Did you find a way to drill into the glass?

nathanwhite
23rd April 2012, 07:09
haha, nice!

ATGATT doncha know? :rolleyes:

Same thing with my scorpio. Going to have to have a decent crack at it with me DSLR sometime

Thats what I said! oh this is so going to happen now...

nathanwhite
23rd April 2012, 07:10
Before I go to much further, I would really like to thank nathanwhite for his hard work, blood (though that came from something unconnected to Millie), sweat (when smoke appears) and tears (of laughter, mine). Thanks Doogle, you really are a fantastic young man, I appreciated your help very much :love:

Not only did this top young bloke come and work on my Millie he managed to find me a Workshop Service Manual for Millie. Of course it was put to good use. Notice the range of tools we offered up. Duct tape, a hammer and a soldering iron that does not get hot enough to melt the solder unless you hold your face a certain way, resembles a grimace, but is actually a silent scream of frustration :innocent:

You are very welcome, besides if nothing else it was a very fun day. And night. :bleh:

nathanwhite
23rd April 2012, 08:18

This is what I was talking about

http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145950

Newbi
23rd April 2012, 09:28
bike looks awesome, Go Doogle!! Nice job, when can ya do mine?

Skiwi
23rd April 2012, 11:36

I've had some success with taping up both sides of the glass and GENTLY drilling, having said that, I've also had some right royal fuck ups.:(

Phreak
23rd April 2012, 12:06
Look awesome Mom! I'll have to come up and have a look see in person next weekend I think... If I hadda known you were finally tackling it I would have offered my services! :nono:

Laava
23rd April 2012, 17:24

No the leds are just sitting under it all in a sealed piece of electrical ducting. Very easy, I like easy and you can ask my wife!

Mom
23rd April 2012, 18:23
Look awesome Mom! I'll have to come up and have a look see in person next weekend I think... If I hadda known you were finally tackling it I would have offered my services! :nono:

All was coolies, we had a fun time, be good to see you on the weekend though.

No the leds are just sitting under it all in a sealed piece of electrical ducting. Very easy, I like easy and you can ask my wife!

It certainly looks the part, did you use blue LED's, or is that just the glass?

Laava
23rd April 2012, 18:32
All was coolies, we had a fun time, be good to see you on the weekend though.

It certainly looks the part, did you use blue LED's, or is that just the glass?

Yes blue and white as well. The glass is of cause green and in real life you can see both colours and it looks awesome.

Mom
23rd April 2012, 19:00
Yes blue and white as well. The glass is of cause green and in real life you can see both colours and it looks awesome.

I bet it looks fantastic. I rode home from work tonight and it was just on dark as I got home. I was buzzing to see the blue light showing on the road under Millie as I rode along :D

Stared at myself in shop windows coming through town :o

Have one not working so will have to check the rather interesting connection methinks.

nzspokes
23rd April 2012, 19:55
We should have a weekend light fitting party. :headbang:

I can build motors, gearboxes, spoke wheels etc etc. But stuffed if I can do a good job of wiring.

Are these lights legal?

Mom
23rd April 2012, 20:56
We should have a weekend light fitting party. :headbang:

I can build motors, gearboxes, spoke wheels etc etc. But stuffed if I can do a good job of wiring.

Are these lights legal?

Yepper, my people seem to think so, oh, and define good :laugh:

An investment in a new soldering iron will be the next purchase for the tool box. I have me a multi meter now, the world is my oyster :killingme

Have a look at that site Rob, I have a terrible feeling this stuff could become addictive.

Mom
23rd April 2012, 20:59
ATGATT doncha know? :rolleyes:

Thats what I said! oh this is so going to happen now...

Missed this at first read, you are a naughty boy encouraging me.

You are very welcome, besides if nothing else it was a very fun day. And night. :bleh:

It was good fun, I had a blast.

nathanwhite
23rd April 2012, 21:07
Are these lights legal?

As you cannot see the actual lights themselves, just the light they project AND that they do not rotate, pulse, flash, twinkle, strobe, or other forms of distraction then yes they are fine. I would think Gremlin would explain this all to us but he is probably getting tired of saying the same thing over and over re these lights

nzspokes
23rd April 2012, 21:17
As you cannot see the actual lights themselves, just the light they project AND that they do not rotate, pulse, flash, twinkle, strobe, or other forms of distraction then yes they are fine. I would think Gremlin would explain this all to us but he is probably getting tired of saying the same thing over and over re these lights

So do they do gold?

I need more volts like Apollo 13, can I use leds bulbs in my tail lights and number plate light?

Some under my tank would be cool......

nathanwhite
23rd April 2012, 22:05
So do they do gold?

The lights she/me have come in yellow

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&category=ACCENTS&Page2Disp=%2Fspecs%2Ffalm.htm

but some of the other ones have orange also.

You could always get some 6 yellow and 6 orange .... I'm sure you would have enough then.

Mom
25th April 2012, 17:13
Are these lights legal?

Millie got a brand spanking new WOF yesterday :sunny: No issues with the lights at all :clap:

nzspokes
25th April 2012, 17:17
Millie got a brand spanking new WOF yesterday :sunny: No issues with the lights at all :clap:

Sweet. Ok then I have a big wiring job on the bike. Must twist Dougals arm to help me with it. More than just the leds, want to relay the headlight like the CBX (which headlight is now brighter then the sun) and LED the taillights.

I worry about my bike at night as its very black.

You will have to do a night ride by for us at the trip.:clap:

chasio
25th April 2012, 17:37
So... can I use leds bulbs in my tail lights and number plate light?

Yes. I use one of these (http://ledstuff.co.nz/product_info.php?products_id=255&osCsid=2bfae8faabd947b03273b0344dc9ed27) for stop/tail/number plate (all in one on mine). They may not be the cheapest source but bulb seems good quality and they're only in the Tron.

You can also use LED's for indicators but, depending on the bike, you may end up with 'fast flash' (like a bulb is out) or an error message (anyone with a modern bike know?) as the electrical demand has dropped relative to standard bulbs. You can add another component to fix that but it makes it a bit more pricey and might offset the savings you're looking for on your overall draw (Bogan will know :))

nathanwhite
25th April 2012, 17:53
Sweet. Ok then I have a big wiring job on the bike. Must twist Dougals arm to help me with it. More than just the leds, want to relay the headlight like the CBX (which headlight is now brighter then the sun) and LED the taillights.

Well The way I handled mom's battery you may want to think twice....:innocent:

I worry about my bike at night as its very black.

HID's! HID's! HID's! HID's! HID's! HID's! :eek:
and running lights!
and ground lights!
LED Accents!
Angel eyes :D
Reflective tape!
Reflective Rims!

Mom
25th April 2012, 18:30
Well The way I handled mom's battery you may want to think twice....:innocent:

and running lights!
and ground lights!
LED Accents!
Reflective tape!
Reflective Rims!

You are starting to sound a bit scarey now Doogle :rofl:

nathanwhite
25th April 2012, 19:08
You are starting to sound a bit scarey now Doogle :rofl:

dontcha worry, I'll have millie sorted proper like by years end.

doof doof doof doof doof......

bogan
25th April 2012, 20:38
You can also use LED's for indicators but, depending on the bike, you may end up with 'fast flash' (like a bulb is out) or an error message (anyone with a modern bike know?) as the electrical demand has dropped relative to standard bulbs. You can add another component to fix that but it makes it a bit more pricey and might offset the savings you're looking for on your overall draw (Bogan will know :))

You can either get resistors which just draw more current to bring it back up to spec (and get warm in the process), or get a proper LED flasher relay, I'd recommend the later. Haven't heard of error messages, probably only on goldwings or somthing silly like that.

and running lights!
and ground lights!
LED Accents!
Reflective tape!
Reflective Rims!

You forgot the military grade searchlight pointing straight up to give that 'traveling beam of light' look!

Mom
25th April 2012, 20:42
You forgot the military grade searchlight pointing straight up to give that 'traveling beam of light' look!

Shut UP!

and a few chars...

nathanwhite
25th April 2012, 20:48

Ah that's right, thought I was missing something.....

and y'know while we're at it...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VU5vHzSr60o&feature=related

bogan
25th April 2012, 20:54
Shut UP!

and a few chars...

It could be done tastefully, having the beam shoot out from whence the sun doth not shine is only one option :rolleyes:

Some glass headers would also be most epic, guess they could be done when the turbo goes on? Going to need a bit more power to run all these lights you see :msn-wink:

nzspokes
25th April 2012, 22:49
Yes. I use one of these (http://ledstuff.co.nz/product_info.php?products_id=255&osCsid=2bfae8faabd947b03273b0344dc9ed27) for stop/tail/number plate (all in one on mine). They may not be the cheapest source but bulb seems good quality and they're only in the Tron.

Those Tail light bulbs are perfect. Have no interest in LED indicators as they are hopeless.

Ive seen these for the number plate light. http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=468014819

No to find some "running" lights for the front.

Gremlin
26th April 2012, 12:01
Have no interest in LED indicators as they are hopeless.
Spokes, done right they are fine... it's just that too many are tiny and/or crap. My BMW indicators are LED all round, but extremely bright.

chasio
26th April 2012, 15:25
Spokes, done right they are fine... it's just that too many are tiny and/or crap. My BMW indicators are LED all round, but extremely bright.

Agree with you there - they can be great and are far less likely to fail that conventional bulbs whish is why my stop/tail is now LED. But given how often they are actually on, going LED for indicators won't give much relief to the electrical system, which I think is what nzspokes is after.

Oh and Millie looks cool :)

nzspokes
26th April 2012, 21:35

Fair enough but most ive seen are just bad.

Dougal, what power sources do I need for these lights? Whats the draw like? I have a few power sources I can use for the old anti dive etc that are no longer used, will they be ok? Im going to set up the relays for the head lights and one for hot grips so could run and extra wire for some leds but dont want to end up with millions of wires either. And am I best to solder connections? I find that kinda hard!!

nathanwhite
26th April 2012, 21:40
Fair enough but most ive seen are just bad.

Dougal, what power sources do I need for these lights? Whats the draw like? I have a few power sources I can use for the old anti dive etc that are no longer used, will they be ok? Im going to set up the relays for the head lights and one for hot grips so could run and extra wire for some leds but dont want to end up with millions of wires either. And am I best to solder connections? I find that kinda hard!!

take it outta anything really. ~6 small leds take next to no power. Solder only if you want to. the distribution board for the LED's on my bike is soldered, millies isn't. its just a choice thing

nzspokes
26th April 2012, 21:44
So what positioning lights should I get? :eek:

nathanwhite
26th April 2012, 21:46
I'm thinking a strobe, with green and orange side lights. thats aviation standard isn't it?

nzspokes
26th April 2012, 21:50
Forgot to ask Gremlin last night but is it legal to use you position lights during the day and turn off the main light? Guess I better search that one.

nathanwhite
26th April 2012, 21:53
Forgot to ask Gremlin last night but is it legal to use you position lights during the day and turn off the main light? Guess I better search that one.

use a custom google search. I find it's quicker and better

"accent light legal daylight running site:kiwibiker.co.nz'

or something like that

nzspokes
26th April 2012, 22:15
I had been looking at these but the seem pricy, http://www.fastbikegear.co.nz/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=745_747&products_id=185

bogan
26th April 2012, 22:32
use a custom google search. I find it's quicker and better

"accent light legal daylight running site:kiwibiker.co.nz'

or something like that

the legalese of it only says 'daytime running lights' (iirc), however I could not find any legalese of what were classed as such lights in new zealand. So I went with the common definition of park light, indicators with dual filament for DRL, I think LED accent lights will fall into that category too.

I had been looking at these but the seem pricy, http://www.fastbikegear.co.nz/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=745_747&products_id=185

You could get some nice LED (or CCFL) strip lights for that money, which look a hell of a lot better imo.

nzspokes
26th April 2012, 22:43
You could get some nice LED (or CCFL) strip lights for that money, which look a hell of a lot better imo.

Do they have them at Jaycar?

bogan
26th April 2012, 22:46
Do they have them at Jaycar?

Wouldn't think so, post up some pics and intended locations/colors and I might be able to tell you what you should go for.

Gremlin
27th April 2012, 00:56
Well, the law states you must have a headlight or daytime running lights on during the day. Position lamps are a slightly more obscure category, so I'm not sure if it's been omitted accidentally or deliberately.

As for VIRM: http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/virm-in-service-certification/virm-in-service-certification.html#motorcycles

nzspokes
27th April 2012, 06:01
Look what I found, I go past this place to pick up my kids. Guess I better pop in.:clap:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Listings.aspx?member=3286936

nzspokes
27th April 2012, 07:28
What do we think of these? http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/performance/bulbs/auction-469086342.htm

They reckon they are the same of the 60w halogen. Would I need to relay it?

Mom
27th April 2012, 09:04
take it outta anything really. ~6 small leds take next to no power. Solder only if you want to. the distribution board for the LED's on my bike is soldered, millies isn't. its just a choice thing

I am going to solder the joins in the box Doogle, I have a llose wire to one at the moment. May as well get them all working and then fix then for good :yes:

So what positioning lights should I get? :eek:

Rob if you go to the same place I did can you let me know please, I will piggyback another order with yours if that is ok :innocent:

nathanwhite
27th April 2012, 09:32
I am going to solder the joins in the box Doogle, I have a llose wire to one at the moment. May as well get them all working and then fix then for good :yes:
:

Mmmm...
I was talking with Dad about it and he says its actually really bad practice to solder and screw. (hehe) Something along the lines of solder is a soft metal and when you put it under pressure from a screw it all wicks away.
I'm thinking now about coming up there with some vero board (http://www.escol.com.my/images/VeroBoard-strip.jpg) and a good soldering iron. Get rid of that distrubution board and solder it all properly in place

bogan
27th April 2012, 09:39
I'm thinking now about coming up there with some vero board (http://www.escol.com.my/images/VeroBoard-strip.jpg) and a good soldering iron. Get rid of that distrubution board and solder it all properly in place

And on that topic, you're not supposed to twist the wires before putting them into a screw terminal either, but I often do a small amount anyway cos it's a prick to get them to fit otherwise!

Veroboard should be prototyping only imo. The 'tracks' are quite narrow so don't have very good adhesion to the board, and it is quite easy to wiggle the wires too much and break some tracks, also they have shit current carrying capacity, and it's easy to get a short unless you use heaps of insulation. Can't you just solder the wires together in the loom?

nathanwhite
27th April 2012, 09:57
Veroboard should be prototyping only imo. The 'tracks' are quite narrow so don't have very good adhesion to the board, and it is quite easy to wiggle the wires too much and break some tracks, also they have shit current carrying capacity, and it's easy to get a short unless you use heaps of insulation. Can't you just solder the wires together in the loom?

hehe, I should tell you about the time I forgot to insulate a veroboard circuit I rigged up on my bike.....

and sure they may have bugger all current carrying capacity, but then the LED's take bugger all current. I've found it's easy enough to bridge two tracks also if you need a bit more space

nzspokes
27th April 2012, 21:23
Dougal. I have an led light in front of me. It has 3 wires. A black, red and a yellow. What do i hook to what? Presume black is earth?

nathanwhite
27th April 2012, 21:35
Dougal. I have an led light in front of me. It has 3 wires. A black, red and a yellow. What do i hook to what? Presume black is earth?

It will be a a colour changing LED. Most likely Red/Green.

Black will be earth or negative yes, and red will be positive for one colour and yellow positive for another one. If you know what voltage it runs on then hook it up to something that does that. If not try 12V. As long as you are not dealing with oodles of power it'll be fine if you get the leads the wrong way around, it won't damage it. They just won't work hooked up the wrong way.

nzspokes
27th April 2012, 21:47
It will be a a colour changing LED. Most likely Red/Green.

Black will be earth or negative yes, and red will be positive for one colour and yellow positive for another one. If you know what voltage it runs on then hook it up to something that does that. If not try 12V. As long as you are not dealing with oodles of power it'll be fine if you get the leads the wrong way around, it won't damage it. They just won't work hooked up the wrong way.

Sweet. Its a 12v light. Project LED starts tomorrow with me and the kids on a road trip to led shops. Got plate light nuts ordered and another place has strips.

Im guessing at least 2 playground stops will be required along with a helping of gingerbread men.

nzspokes
28th April 2012, 20:54
Any reason i cant stick the leds to the bottom of the tank?

nathanwhite
28th April 2012, 21:15
Only thing I can think of is making it much harder to take the tank off should you want to

nzspokes
28th April 2012, 21:39
Only thing I can think of is making it much harder to take the tank off should you want to

My tank comes off a bit at the moment. Gunna rekit my carbs this time. Will put a plug in to it if I put it under the tank.