PDA

View Full Version : 2012 V-Strom 650 ABS versus 2012 Tiger 800

Barts
25th April 2012, 09:33
Hey,

Just landed my 6R and have been out and about test riding a few bikes to upgrade from my Hornet 250.

I'm 6'3" / 85K and looking to upgrade to a bike that's a bit more comfortable given my height / weight.

I have really enjoyed my experiences on both the new V-Strom and Triumph's Tiger 800.

I've read heaps of reviews and online threads on both bikes (in their own right) however haven't been able to source any good reading/knowledge on bike a vs. bike b.

I plan to test ride some more as in all honesty I've only spent about 30-40 mins on each.

Main aim of bike is day to day commuting. Roughly 60KM each day with a 80% motorway and 20% urban.

If I can convince by better half I'm in need of some 'me' time I'd like to take bike on ferry and tour south island at some point. So a bike that I can tour NZ with and maybe possibly 2 up would be good future proofing.

For now I just need a solid bike that can get me to work and back safely with no big issues re: service costs, maintenance and the like.

I think I have the answer with the Wee however will it make me smile as much as the Tiger???

Anyone out there have experiences on both bikes? What led to your ultimate buying decisions?

Cheers folks.

Barts

paturoa
25th April 2012, 10:03
I've had a wee (old model) for a while now and it has an international reputation for being one of the most reliable bikes ever made. I did a 15k trip around oz last year in 4 weeks on it and only had to change a back tyre and oil changes. The new wee is more of a refresh than a totally new bike and has a huge amount of common parts with the old weel

I've test ridden both the new wee and a XC.

Reasons for a new wee:
Better fuel consumption and range than XC (a lot more)
Cheaper $5000
I'd rate the seat comform for both the rider and pillion as better on the wee.

Reasons for the XC:
21 inch front wheel is better for gravel roads.
More power across the rev range. 50kw vs 70kw,

The XC will likely be my next bike simply because of the extra power and the 21 inch wheel for gravel roads.

However my big problem is the cost. A new wee is under 15k on the road, and a new XC is 20k. OUCH. In real terms that is $250 per kwatt!

If you are thinking touring you can fully farkle the wee with after market goodies for well under 5k, There are plenty of them. Basic list would be engine bars, heated grips, hard panniers, top box, tank bag, sump guard, radiator guard, hand guards, centre stand, headlight protectors and front mudguard extension.

Genuine trumpy farkles will make your eyes water and empty your wallet faster than a trip to Fort Street! http://www.triumphmotorcycles.co.nz/accessories/create-my-triumph Click on "launch create my triumph" lower right. The above list of trumpy farkles will cost about $7k. Suddenly a $20k bike is $27k Double OUCH.

banditrider
25th April 2012, 11:01
I have no experience of the Trumpy but I think for your use of mainly commuting then the Wee would be the way to go (no need for that 21" wheel commuting unless your jumping kerbs eh). They appear to be unbreakable and the economy and range is outstanding. I ride a Vee but did ride a Wee around town for a bit and it was the better bike for the job.

paturoa
25th April 2012, 11:05
Oh and I commute daily in dorkland, 20km 1 way on the ugly wee version. Great commuter bike except for the slightly wider bars than a standard road type bike.

Barts
25th April 2012, 11:39
Ooops typo. That should read 6F !! Thx for replies :) Barts

Hitcher
25th April 2012, 16:34
A big difference between these two bikes is that the Suzuki's engine doesn't have that annoying high-pitched whine that the Triumph does. Indeed of late that Triumph whine, a feature of most current models, is starting to drive me nuts. Perhaps I should keep away from them.

chasio
25th April 2012, 17:03
I reckon this is a good deal near here and a good ride home for you: 2011 Wee for $10k (http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/tourers/auction-445100552.htm). $5k off the new price is a lot for having been run in...

tri boy
25th April 2012, 17:35
Sounds like the wee V might be the one to go for, for your intended use.
But, damn they have an ugly rear mud guard, (as in that orange ones pic).
The designer who came up with that needs hanging.

Barts
25th April 2012, 20:17
I've had a wee (old model) for a while now and it has an international reputation for being one of the most reliable bikes ever made. I did a 15k trip around oz last year in 4 weeks on it and only had to change a back tyre and oil changes. The new wee is more of a refresh than a totally new bike and has a huge amount of common parts with the old weel

I've test ridden both the new wee and a XC.

Reasons for a new wee:
Better fuel consumption and range than XC (a lot more)
Cheaper $5000
I'd rate the seat comform for both the rider and pillion as better on the wee.

Reasons for the XC:
21 inch front wheel is better for gravel roads.
More power across the rev range. 50kw vs 70kw,

The XC will likely be my next bike simply because of the extra power and the 21 inch wheel for gravel roads.

However my big problem is the cost. A new wee is under 15k on the road, and a new XC is 20k. OUCH. In real terms that is $250 per kwatt!

If you are thinking touring you can fully farkle the wee with after market goodies for well under 5k, There are plenty of them. Basic list would be engine bars, heated grips, hard panniers, top box, tank bag, sump guard, radiator guard, hand guards, centre stand, headlight protectors and front mudguard extension.

Genuine trumpy farkles will make your eyes water and empty your wallet faster than a trip to Fort Street! http://www.triumphmotorcycles.co.nz/accessories/create-my-triumph Click on "launch create my triumph" lower right. The above list of trumpy farkles will cost about $7k. Suddenly a $20k bike is $27k Double OUCH.

Thanks paturoa,

Do you have any comments or concerns about wind buffeting on the V-Strom? The model I rode had the screen set mid-way. My head was getting hammered buy the wind. The sound was intense. I am going to ask the dealer to either raise or lower for me for my next ride. This however was really the only thing that put me off this bike - I am sure it is fixable however given amount of time spent on SH1 this is a bit of show stopper.

Also any comments on the fuel efficiency between these two bikes? Sounds like wee wins hounds down with fuel economy?

Given I'm looking at purchasing a bike for long term use do you recommend I look at / test ride BMW's offerings? Just seen this bike on TM. http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=375420457

It would appear F650GS is similar price and spec to XC with G650GS close to V-Strom?

Need to get out on a few more bikes I reckon - any others worthy of a look?

Cheers.

paturoa
25th April 2012, 20:31
Thanks paturoa,

Do you have any comments or concerns about wind buffeting on the V-Strom? The model I rode had the screen set mid-way. My head was getting hammered buy the wind. The sound was intense. I am going to ask the dealer to either raise or lower for me for my next ride. This however was really the only thing that put me off this bike - I am sure it is fixable however given amount of time spent on SH1 this is a bit of show stopper.

Also any comments on the fuel efficiency between these two bikes? Sounds like wee wins hounds down with fuel economy?

Given I'm looking at purchasing a bike for long term use do you recommend I look at / test ride BMW's offerings? Just seen this bike on TM. http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=375420457

It would appear F650GS is similar price and spec to XC with G650GS close to V-Strom?

Need to get out on a few more bikes I reckon - any others worthy of a look?

Cheers.

I don't know about the new model wee for buffetting. However I've got my screen on the hightest setting, I'm 1.78 tall and have no problems at all. Others use the madstad or other solutions for the old wee. The forums (stromtroopers is a good one as well as VRSI) have lots of info on this issue and all have easy solutions. Note that it is an issue with all bikes and can normally be tuned out by simply adjusting the height.

A friend at work go the taller "touring" screen for his new tiger but he rekons that he has lots of buffetting problems with that too.

Fuel economy. No contest the wee is miserly and will do 450km on a tank if your gentle at over 25km per litre.. The tiger is from what I've read a thirsty beast.

I've only test ridden the GS a couple of times but it was a while ago so can't really comment. The mags and online reviews (MCN has one) says that there is little difference between them with the beemer getting the better off road nod over the the tiger and obviosuly the other way for on road including gravel. The GS is pricey too, but appears to hold its resale value.

If your looking for on sealed road only also have a look at the kwaka 650 versy and if your off road intentions are high have a look at the KLR, DR and KTM offerrings.

Good fun looking isn't it!

chasio
28th April 2012, 11:55

Just a note: the G650 GS (http://cdnmedia.endeavorsuite.com/images//organizations/cf8cbb82-c7e2-47a4-a4f1-f7be661959fa/G650GS_SpecSheet.pdf?v=20111207142159) is a thumper, so not really comparable to a wee-Strom in the engine department. You could buy that orange Strom (no ABS?) plus a decent older DR650 for what they are asking for that ex-demo G650. It all depends on what you want, and I'm not bagging the G650 GS, but the blue and white badge seems pretty expensive to me!

AllanB
28th April 2012, 12:01
For the use you are describing I struggle to see how you'd justify the $5k difference on a new one. In the Triumph favour it will hold it's resale value better.

Barts
28th April 2012, 19:33
Update from me. I purchased the Wee-Storm today - pick her up later this week!!! :cool:

Bottom line decision for me was value for money over the Tiger 800 (purchase cost, insurance, fuel economy maintenance etc.)

Took another long test ride before making my final decision. Power is more than enough for my needs. Loving the V Twin already.

I picked up a great trade in on my 250 and negotiated a sweet deal on a number of accessories including under cowling, knuckle covers and a 40Ltr top box.

The best bit - close to $3,000 in savings on the Tiger 800.

Will post some pics next weekend.

Barts.

paturoa
28th April 2012, 19:36
... another $3000 + to spend on farkles!

banditrider
28th April 2012, 19:48
... another $3000 + to spend on farkles!

Yes, my advice would be to not look at this site: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productlist/108/ among others...

Barts
28th April 2012, 20:46
Ok not asked a DFQ on KiwiBiker for a while now...here goes.

Q. Exactly what is a farkle?

paturoa
28th April 2012, 21:08
Ok not asked a DFQ on KiwiBiker for a while now...here goes.

Q. Exactly what is a farkle?

Farkles are flash aftermarket goodies that you buy and put all over your bike.

banditrider
28th April 2012, 21:32
Farkles are flash aftermarket goodies that you buy and put all over your bike.

And they are all absolutely essential...

mattsdakar
30th April 2012, 06:41
Update from me. I purchased the Wee-Storm today - pick her up later this week!!! :cool:

Bottom line decision for me was value for money over the Tiger 800 (purchase cost, insurance, fuel economy maintenance etc.)

Took another long test ride before making my final decision. Power is more than enough for my needs. Loving the V Twin already.

I picked up a great trade in on my 250 and negotiated a sweet deal on a number of accessories including under cowling, knuckle covers and a 40Ltr top box.

The best bit - close to $3,000 in savings on the Tiger 800.

Will post some pics next weekend.

Barts.

Congratulations on your purchase, the wee strom is a fine road bike, however imho it's not a dual sport bike, and as a newbie to big bikes I would be very weary of taking it anywhere near gravel while it is fitted with road tyres.
Enjoy!

Barts
30th April 2012, 19:23
Congratulations on your purchase, the wee strom is a fine road bike, however imho it's not a dual sport bike, and as a newbie to big bikes I would be very weary of taking it anywhere near gravel while it is fitted with road tyres.
Enjoy!

Cool. Thanks for your advice. What tyre would you recommend further down the road should I wish to sample a bit of the rough stuff?

Devil
1st May 2012, 15:24
Road tyres are fine on gravel. If you want to get dirtier, then you can get Continental TKC80's (Big bike knobblies), or if you want something in between you could go for something like a heidenau K60, or Mitas E07.

Look up a bit, there's a big scary thread on adventure tyres! Hope you were looking for something to put you to sleep!

Barts
1st May 2012, 15:32

Here's my bike. Just waiting for $$$ to show up at dealers end :)

paturoa
1st May 2012, 15:42
Enjoy!

It already comes with tyres fine for gravel roads. Here is a good youtube of the range of tyres (including some not imported into unzud)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-ZBikC_9Us
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-ZBikC_9Us)
edit 1: and suggest that you have a look at http://www.stromtrooper.com/ which already has some good resources for your model.

edit 2: and here is some proper gravel riding with road orientated tread. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-NBX2HLsQc&feature=related

banditrider
1st May 2012, 17:30
Road tyres are fine on gravel. If you want to get dirtier, then you can get Continental TKC80's (Big bike knobblies), or if you want something in between you could go for something like a heidenau K60, or Mitas E07.

Any experience with the K60's? I'm considering them for the Vee but concerned she'll just chew 'em up...

paturoa
1st May 2012, 17:41
Any experience with the K60's? I'm considering them for the Vee but concerned she'll just chew 'em up...

Not me, check out the first youtube link in my post above, they briefly talk about it.

banditrider
1st May 2012, 17:57
Not me, check out the first youtube link in my post above, they briefly talk about it.

Their mileage claims are interesting...

Got an Anakee 2 on the rear and it's pretty poked with just under 10k on it. Pirelli Scropion on the front with 7,000km and I've pretty much stuffed that (superb on wet tar). I need to go a bit easier on the tyres when I'm on tar...

paturoa
2nd May 2012, 11:58
Their mileage claims are interesting....

And from what I could tell were six fiddy mileages not thou.

Devil
2nd May 2012, 12:09

I got them over TKC's specifically because of the mileage. We're talking about an R1200GS Adventure here, so similar concerns about torque/weight and tyre murder.
Just rode to wellington and back over the weekend with full luggage and you wouldn't even notice it judging by the tyre wear.

I know a guy on a BMW HP2 that got over 20,000km with them.

Haven't done too many gravel miles yet. Hoping to sort that out this weekend.

banditrider
3rd June 2012, 09:59
K60's going on this week...:scooter: