PDA

View Full Version : Cafe project - custom front end suitability

masterofpuppets
25th April 2012, 10:11
hi all.

i am building a GB600R cafe custom. most of the bike is complete. motor is running etc.

i have been considering getting my wheels respoked as my spokes are rubbish (cosmetically), but the cost is not insignificant. i have also just found out my disk is badly cracked.

an idea i had was to use a different front wheel, hub, disk and all on the existing front end. is that possible? ovbiously need something with the right axle dia, width, but what about disk placement? can spacers be put on? on the disk or the caliper perhaps? not worried about a speedo drive as i am running a digital speedo.

the next train of thought was to change the front end completely. it would still need to be something with wire wheels. what other considerations aside from steering head length and diameter are there? i'd only go down that track if i got improvements in suspension and braking too.

your thoughts on this would be appreciated.

dogsnbikes
25th April 2012, 10:45
I am currently doing a front end change over at the moment,

Bike is CB250RS with a GB500 Motor,front end is CBR250(MC19),Brakes are XR650 Caliper and a 320mm rotor,Front wheel is a 17" spoke,the Axle is one I had laying around,

If your changing Stems swap the bottom bearing collor over if you have too,I did that and it fitted in now problems.

Now none of it fits together at the moment as I need too sort out spacers for the Axle and Make up a axle nut,an adaptor plate for the Disc,But will post up photos once I have it finished and back on the bike.

262574 262575

Geeen
25th April 2012, 11:18
Words and a couple 'o pics]

See, now that is jut cool. :cool::cool:

masterofpuppets
25th April 2012, 13:50
I am currently doing a front end change over at the moment,

Bike is CB250RS with a GB500 Motor,front end is CBR250(MC19),Brakes are XR650 Caliper and a 320mm rotor,Front wheel is a 17" spoke,the Axle is one I had laying around,

If your changing Stems swap the bottom bearing collor over if you have too,I did that and it fitted in now problems.

Now none of it fits together at the moment as I need too sort out spacers for the Axle and Make up a axle nut,an adaptor plate for the Disc,But will post up photos once I have it finished and back on the bike.

262574 262575

thats awesome. i'll see if i can add a few pics of the gb. i started with a gb400 frame, and an xr600r motor built from scratch with some tickled internals. gotta play around with jetting because im running no airbox, and a straight thru exhaust, with little backpressure.

couple of questions i have - did you just use the mc19 forks, onto existing tripletree, or the whole front end. also, was the xr caliper a straight fit onto the forks, or did it require modifying? as i understand it you put a spacer between the wheel and disk to make it fit the caliper?

also, thats a cool front wheel... what did it come off?

masterofpuppets
25th April 2012, 13:55

here you go... still needs a lot of work, but s far so good.

dogsnbikes
25th April 2012, 19:31
thats awesome. i'll see if i can add a few pics of the gb. i started with a gb400 frame, and an xr600r motor built from scratch with some tickled internals. gotta play around with jetting because im running no airbox, and a straight thru exhaust, with little backpressure.

couple of questions i have - did you just use the mc19 forks, onto existing tripletree, or the whole front end. also, was the xr caliper a straight fit onto the forks, or did it require modifying? as i understand it you put a spacer between the wheel and disk to make it fit the caliper?

The front end was a complete swap over,including triple clamps,as for the front wheel I was told it was on a XR motrad when I brought it of TM,

The front caliper needs Modifying too fit the forks,but thats just another plate really,the hard part will be making the CRF450 Carb fit into the frame:rolleyes:,But one end at a time...

Fast Eddie
25th April 2012, 19:45
if swapping to mc19 forks they look pretty much the same cosmetically. Can't you just rebuild/modify ur existing ones. send em to KSS or whatever they are called. Robert Taylor could do something with them im sure and then you wouldnt have to muck about too much.

I'd do a swap to a USD setup if I was going to go through the hassles..

dogsnbikes
25th April 2012, 20:05
if swapping to mc19 forks they look pretty much the same cosmetically. Can't you just rebuild/modify ur existing ones. send em to KSS or whatever they are called. Robert Taylor could do something with them im sure and then you wouldnt have to muck about too much.

I'd do a swap to a USD setup if I was going to go through the hassles..

MC19 and CB250rs forks are completly different In length & diameter,Mucking around with bikes is what makes them stand out,

The Lone Rider
28th April 2012, 21:05
I've done some spoke wheels recently. They were rusted like what your pictures show.

All I did was sand them until fairly smooth, then 3 coats sandable primer, and then 5 of clear coat.

Could have put a color but the primer was grey and that is what I wanted the wheels to be.

Worked out fine. Doubt you'd ever guess how horrible the wheels looked.

Brian d marge
28th April 2012, 22:12
Respoking a wheel isn’t hard , , first time , photo measure and mark everything incl hub offset ( if in doubt Google ) u can make a truing jig from an old swing arm , again you tube or Google

As for swapping front ends , just be careful with axil offset , and yoke offsets , wont be that far out , but pays to measure twice cut once

Japanese road bike tend to be similar ( flame hat on )

the question is , what is the best front end for the money and how easily will it fit .......

I have some cbr forks floating about , but they are a pain to use as they have that stupid caliper mount set up thingy ..

so are in the too hard basket

Stephen

dogsnbikes
7th June 2012, 17:46

Just a update on the frontend,there is more photos on the blog,Made a front caliper template today so not far away now.....but still alot of work too be done over all

Kickaha
7th June 2012, 18:56
u can make a truing jig from an old swing arm ,

Ta, didn't even think of that and was wondering what I could use