PDA

View Full Version : Photo details - anyone remember??

LB
29th July 2005, 05:52
Anyone remember the photo that was doing the rounds a couple of years ago of the crash at the start of a race? A Ducati was up in the air on the right-hand side of the photo with the forks separated from the rest of the bike. Very spectactular, though I seem to recall that no-one was injured.

Does anyone know where the photo was taken ie which race track and any other details?

I seem to recall it's an AMA race in the US?

I've got the photo as a .jpg but I can't seem to upload photos onto the site.

What?
29th July 2005, 06:08
I know the photo - but no-one here seemed to know where it came from. Had to be an AMA race, but there's not enough in the shot to even guess at what circuit or year.

gav
29th July 2005, 07:17
AMA Race, rider is Steve Rapp, at Road America, he ran back to the pits, jumped on his spare bike and in the restart finished 6th or 7th. Couple of years ago now...(maybe 2000?)

placidfemme
29th July 2005, 07:38
damn... and noone was hurt? That was lucky...

Sniper
29th July 2005, 07:52
Thats my new desktop now, thanks Gav

LB
30th July 2005, 04:52
AMA Race, rider is Steve Rapp, at Road America, he ran back to the pits, jumped on his spare bike and in the restart finished 6th or 7th. Couple of years ago now...(maybe 2000?)
Many thanks Gav, it had been bugging me.

Is Road America a track? Whereabouts is it? (Pardon my ignorance, I'm not really up on tracks in the US apart from Laguna and Daytona.)

gav
30th July 2005, 22:40
http://www.roadamerica.com/2005/index.htm
Yeah, its one of the better tracks in America, prob not yet enough run off for world motorcycling but I think WSBK ran their in the early days.

James Deuce
30th July 2005, 22:42
Elkhart Lake - one of my favourite "virtual" track mods for Grand Prix Legends. Would love to have a go on a bike round there.

LB
31st July 2005, 04:30
http://www.roadamerica.com/2005/index.htm
Yeah, its one of the better tracks in America, prob not yet enough run off for world motorcycling but I think WSBK ran their in the early days.
Great, thanks again Gav. Mystery solved. I'm going to save this info so I don't forget again!

crashe
31st July 2005, 11:39
Holy shit, what on earth caused the bike to split apart like that?
Yeah I know something must of happened, but what?

Lucky no one was hurt.

White trash
31st July 2005, 17:57
It's obviously happened on the start, the rider may have rammed a stationaly bike at speed, judging by the HEE-uge buckle in the front wheel.

I'd also suggest it's earlier than 2000, Gav, as Matt Mladin's riding a 98-99 GSXR750.

Wicked shot, a great instance of a photographer in the right place at exactly the right time.