PDA

View Full Version : Gas flowing heads?

Voltaire
25th April 2012, 21:18
who does this in Awks?

carburator
25th April 2012, 22:50
number of people do.. however...

are you after base a base flow figure? are you going to get them ported?

Voltaire
26th April 2012, 13:07
number of people do.. however...

are you after base a base flow figure? are you going to get them ported?

Not sure....times have changed since I used to do VW ones back in the day.
Yes I suppose a base line figure is good to start with.
I understand that its more scientific these days than just hog it out with a rotary file...:eek:

Kickaha
26th April 2012, 18:19
Send them down and I will do them, I have an angle grinder, hacksaw, couple of bastard files and some emery paper I shouldn't need much more:msn-wink:

DEATH_INC.
26th April 2012, 20:46
Not sure....times have changed since I used to do VW ones back in the day.
Yes I suppose a base line figure is good to start with.
I understand that its more scientific these days than just hog it out with a rotary file...:eek:

Weeeelll, actually the principles are still the same as ever. They do tend to aim a bit more for velocity than maximum flow now, but otherwise....
Over in the U.S. they do it by CNC, but it still requires someone who knows what they are doing to hand grind the first one (of a model) then they 'map' it so it can be repeated consistently.

Voltaire
26th April 2012, 21:32
Weeeelll, actually the principles are still the same as ever. They do tend to aim a bit more for velocity than maximum flow now, but otherwise....
Over in the U.S. they do it by CNC, but it still requires someone who knows what they are doing to hand grind the first one (of a model) then they 'map' it so it can be repeated consistently.

so its either find an old guy who has been doing it for years...or a young bloke with fancy machines.I hear what you are saying about velocity over flow as I understand the Combat Norton head are described as 'ruined' by the factory.
I'm looking at my 04 Thruxton as surely they should be able to get an 860cc engine to have more than 50-55 BHP....

Kickaha....thanks for the offer but your busy enough with your Pom and Wop bikes......:devil2:

jellywrestler
26th April 2012, 21:33
Send them down and I will do them, I have an angle grinder, hacksaw, couple of bastard files and some emery paper I shouldn't need much more:msn-wink:
A brain maybe, that rules you out then...

koba
26th April 2012, 21:42
so its either find an old guy who has been doing it for years...or a young bloke with fancy machines.I hear what you are saying about velocity over flow as I understand the Combat Norton head are described as 'ruined' by the factory.
I'm looking at my 04 Thruxton as surely they should be able to get an 860cc engine to have more than 50-55 BHP....

Kickaha....thanks for the offer but your busy enough with your Pom and Wop bikes......:devil2:

Not in Auckland but I've seen good stuff from here: http://www.kelford.co.nz/

Motu
26th April 2012, 22:45
You could use Golden Syrup to get a more accurate flow rate to the standard cyl head.