PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8

Madmax
26th April 2012, 21:42
Anyone apart from me having a play with this yet.
Bloody thing has a few bugs, but not as many as i would expect

jrandom
26th April 2012, 22:05
Hell no. I'm a very late adopter.

I'll only use someone else's beta software if I'm getting paid to do so.

Madmax
26th April 2012, 22:08
I had a spare HDA and nothing to do

jrandom
26th April 2012, 22:08
I had a spare HDA and nothing to do

You have the internet, surely you could've managed one more wank for the day?

nathanwhite
26th April 2012, 22:10
Microsoft has an interesting trend of releasing alternately bad then good OS's. The last three went
XP=good, Vista=bad, 7=good.

I'm reserving judgement for Windows 8

Gremlin
27th April 2012, 00:51
Microsoft has an interesting trend of releasing alternately bad then good OS's. The last three went
XP=good, Vista=bad, 7=good.

I'm reserving judgement for Windows 8
Well, if you extrapolate that (if memory serves me correctly) there was 98 2nd Edition, Windows Me (shite), Windows 2000 (bit of a staple product), Win XP, Win Vista (shite), Win 7, Win 8.

Each time there's a hopeless one (Me and Vista are prime examples) there is a good one after it. That said, I'm still learning the annoyances in 7, like it deciding to re-classify it's domain adapter to a public one, which sends my rules out the door and the firewall clamps down. Fucks you off real good when an OS is able to change it's mind. :weird:

No, haven't used 8 at all. I played with 7 RC a few months before release, then took the jump into dual booting my work laptop with 7 a couple of days before public release. I'd never bother with beta because it's going to change anyway. I still have a few 2000 boxes floating around, plenty of XP and 2K3 to maintain, 8 can wait.

It's a bit off topic, but Microsoft has committed itself to such regular releases because of trying to change to yearly fees for software rather than buying upfront. It only makes sense to a customer if they get the new stuff every 3 years or less, beyond that and you're better to buy outright. Suppose that's the business side anyway. With the recession, also more common to drag the machines out an extra year... (or more in small ones).

Brian d marge
27th April 2012, 01:58
Well, if you extrapolate that (if memory serves me correctly) there was 98 2nd Edition, Windows Me (shite), Windows 2000 (bit of a staple product), Win XP, Win Vista (shite), Win 7, Win 8.

Each time there's a hopeless one (Me and Vista are prime examples) there is a good one after it. That said, I'm still learning the annoyances in 7, like it deciding to re-classify it's domain adapter to a public one, which sends my rules out the door and the firewall clamps down. Fucks you off real good when an OS is able to change it's mind. :weird:

No, haven't used 8 at all. I played with 7 RC a few months before release, then took the jump into dual booting my work laptop with 7 a couple of days before public release. I'd never bother with beta because it's going to change anyway. I still have a few 2000 boxes floating around, plenty of XP and 2K3 to maintain, 8 can wait.

It's a bit off topic, but Microsoft has committed itself to such regular releases because of trying to change to yearly fees for software rather than buying upfront. It only makes sense to a customer if they get the new stuff every 3 years or less, beyond that and you're better to buy outright. Suppose that's the business side anyway. With the recession, also more common to drag the machines out an extra year... (or more in small ones).

Im trying ,,,trying ,,,,nope cant hold back

HOW much does windows cost? and you PAY for a bad os?

Still some people actually like CZ motorcycles ........

Stephen

nathanwhite
27th April 2012, 07:01

I usually run ubuntu. New release every 6months. :S

However I usually only bother with it every 18 months or so and you can update from within the system by about 5 click. Pretty easy really

Scuba_Steve
27th April 2012, 08:39
Anyone apart from me having a play with this yet.
Bloody thing has a few bugs, but not as many as i would expect

most probably cause it's not a major change, to oversimplify it Win8 biggest change (Metro) is just an overlay to Win7. But even so, like others have mentioned this is MS's "down" cycle so don't expect Win8 to work right, you'll have to wait for the "fix" which they'll charge another 400$ for titled Win9 or something.
And I'd expect the ARM version to be even worse, MS doesn't have the experience or to an extent the interest in ARM architecture this is somewhat a financially forced move rather than a chosen one, so again don't expect anything spectacular from this side of the Win8 coin

SMOKEU
27th April 2012, 08:55
HOW much does windows cost? and you PAY for a bad os?

8 beta is free from the MS website. I've given it a go. The start menu is very strange. Looks like it would work well on a tablet, but on a desktop, not so much.

avgas
27th April 2012, 09:09
I'm laughing my arse off at this thread.

Change 8 to 7 and its like stepping back to good ol 2008 on the forums.

I am running 8. Its ok, but too pretty for me. But then again I am considered ancient for still using a keyboard and mouse where as this is really designed to be used in a tablet or some kind of supercomputer like this
http://www.imageafter.com/images/forum_upload/741_interface.jpg

I have beta'd for 8, 7, Vista and XP. Best disappointment (beta-wise) was 7 - it was basically Vista SP2.
For those of you who don't remember XP was rubbish until it got its SP2. SP1 was closely followed by SP2 because Msoft thought it was a good idea to remove half the API's to make it run faster in SP1 - dumb move.

Vista, while slow, had a lot of features that have come in handy - especially for no tech people (like my dad). Somehow he managed to delete critical XP files off his laptop.........he couldn't do that with Vista. As mentioned earlier 7 was Vista with new pants, but I guess Msoft had make some money - but they would have saved a bit of face by simply releasing it as Vista SP2 instead.

The only major bug I have found with 8 so far has been the 64bit install was rubbish. Ended up giving up and doing a 32bit. But then again the 64 was PRC so I shouldn't expect much - they probably have fixed it now (this was 4 months ago).

I am chucking Mint12 64bit on the box tonight - so that should be fun.

SMOKEU
27th April 2012, 09:14

Mint 12 is awesome, I use that on my desktop. I don't like the GUI of the recent Ubuntu versions.

avgas
27th April 2012, 09:28
Mint 12 is awesome, I use that on my desktop. I don't like the GUI of the recent Ubuntu versions.
Yeah to be honest I preferred the Mint GUI as its more 'windowsish'. So have been using it on and off since about version 7.

Ubuntu failed the whole 'universal' thing for me as I found it did not deliver on half the promises it made. But then again this was nearly 10 years ago.

Mental Trousers
27th April 2012, 10:04
Hell no. I'm a very late adopter.

I'll only use someone else's beta software if I'm getting paid to do so.

I eventually moved my desktop to WinXP because I got new hardware (previous machine couldn't be turned off or it wouldn't turn back on again and eventually it totally gave up) and Win2k didn't have drivers etc. Software had also moved well past Win2k so it was just easier to update.

Chances are I'll skip Win7 (it's on the wife's lap top and it pisses me off) and go straight Win8SP2. In the meantime there's drivers for all the new hardware for WinXP and all the software I want/need runs on it so that's me for a while.

I'm laughing my arse off at this thread.

Mint is good. Ubuntu always annoyed me although I do use the LTS versions for some things, but on a desktop it's Mint all the way.

Gremlin
27th April 2012, 13:37
However I usually only bother with it every 18 months or so and you can update from within the system by about 5 click. Pretty easy really
Tested Ubuntu for a client, just plain didn't work when you start throwing various hardware and everyday functionality at it. Performance to Terminal server was horrible. All the applications for business purposes require Windows anyway.

I have beta'd for 8, 7, Vista and XP. Best disappointment (beta-wise) was 7 - it was basically Vista SP2.
For those of you who don't remember XP was rubbish until it got its SP2. SP1 was closely followed by SP2 because Msoft thought it was a good idea to remove half the API's to make it run faster in SP1 - dumb move.
Well to be blunt, once you start digging into menus here and there, plenty in 7 looks like 2000, possibly even older. It seems like they just add more crap on top of the core, despite telling us they are ground up new builds. Simple things like finding out the ipconfigs via GUI in XP were 2 clicks... with 7 you have to go into a centre, then the adapters, then properties, then details... WHY?!

In the meantime there's drivers for all the new hardware for WinXP and all the software I want/need runs on it so that's me for a while.
In XP I still used classic themes, but I'll admit to really enjoying 7. It scared me when I first realised it... and the hardware detection is pretty good as well.

Mental Trousers
27th April 2012, 14:16
In XP I still used classic themes, but I'll admit to really enjoying 7. It scared me when I first realised it... and the hardware detection is pretty good as well.

I don't do bells and whistles so no reason to use Win7. Hell, I spend the majority of my time at work and a fair chunk of it at home in ssh sessions and the only frill is ticking the fake transparent background box so every 2 minutes I can see which hot chick is now my desktop wallpaper.

avgas
27th April 2012, 15:01
Simple things like finding out the ipconfigs via GUI in XP were 2 clicks... with 7 you have to go into a centre, then the adapters, then properties, then details... WHY?!
I have a present for you
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/52526565/ipconfig.lnk

Gremlin
27th April 2012, 15:59
I have a present for you
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/52526565/ipconfig.lnk
I'm too lazy to click start, type cmd, type ipconfig... 2 clicks (ok, one is a double click) is much faster :bleh:

sil3nt
27th April 2012, 18:02
Just upgraded to windows 7 last month. And they are already onto windows 8 :facepalm:

Quite like windows 7. Not finding it too much different to XP which is a good thing. Bring on windows 9!

ckai
10th July 2012, 09:21
Let's reincarnate this sucker.

Those in the know (actually "in the know" not "KB I think I know so I know" :) ), I've heard W8 is running faster and is generally better than most previous OS - it's still open for debate that it's better than W7.

Our only PC laptop is running Vista and it's god awful. It only has a small hard drive but we very rarely use it. In fact it in probably gets used once a month. The upgrade to W8 isn't gonna be that much and I'm thinking the laptop will run much better with it as opposed to vista.

Thoughts?

No there is no option to run Linux as it's the software we use on it. We already have moved the majority of our windows software to a virtual environment on our macs but some of it can't be moved.

It's not really a big deal but I thought it may be an option to consider.

Buyasta
10th July 2012, 09:59

Those in the know (actually "in the know" not "KB I think I know so I know" :) ), I've heard W8 is running faster and is generally better than most previous OS - it's still open for debate that it's better than W7.

Our only PC laptop is running Vista and it's god awful. It only has a small hard drive but we very rarely use it. In fact it in probably gets used once a month. The upgrade to W8 isn't gonna be that much and I'm thinking the laptop will run much better with it as opposed to vista.

Thoughts?

No there is no option to run Linux as it's the software we use on it. We already have moved the majority of our windows software to a virtual environment on our macs but some of it can't be moved.

You should definitely try before you buy, Windows 8 has changed a lot. I installed one of the developer previews in a VM to have a play with it, but I was only able to stomach it for about 5 minutes before I'd decided I hate it enough to skip it and hope like hell Windows 9 is more usable.
The problem is that they're trying to make an OS that will work equally well on a PC and a tablet or touchscreen PC, and apparently their idea of an OS that works on both is "make it work on a touchscreen and fuck everyone else" - to remove pretty much anything that doesn't work quite right on a touchscreen and then design the entire damn UI around use of a touchscreen despite the fact that many (and I'm guessing a majority) of traditional PC users will absolutely hate it.
It is kind of possible to make it a little more usable - you can run a third party app to restore the start menu and I'm sure people will be able to modify the UI in other ways to make it more usable, but that really shouldn't be necessary - since XP I'd begun to think I'd never need to replace the windows shell again if I wanted it to be stable and functional.

Bald Eagle
10th July 2012, 10:05
You want stable and functional in a M$ O/S rofl

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk 2

Scuba_Steve
10th July 2012, 10:06

Thoughts?

Upgrade to Vista? unfortunately jury's still out on that one. But given MS's history it'll probably be a downgrade to Win7. At this stage tho Win8 is appearing to be faster, so might be worth the upgrade on that basis alone & after all you don't have much to lose coming from Vista.

I'm sure you're aware but just incase. Upgrading from XP will only bring over your "My Documents" all apps & settings will be abolished in the upgrade & from Vista will only bring "My Documents" & windows settings, again all apps will be abolished in the upgrade.

Buyasta
10th July 2012, 10:10

I dunno if you've noticed, but they actually have fixed most of the issues with the shell since XP - it used to be that if you didn't just go ahead and completely replace it with a third party shell, the damn thing would crash 4-5 times a day and you'd constantly be restarting it.
Also note I'm just talking about the shell here, not the OS itself.

Akzle
10th July 2012, 10:13
you can make windows 7 look and behave like XP quite easily. (except the start menu...:( ) that asides... there's not too much, underneath all the shiney shit, that's really really changed since 95. (excepting new hardware, bluetooth, ie)
it's PITA though.

i dualled 7 and debian... realised i never used 7 and ended up forgetting the password.... hacked it from debian, then deleted it. then installed 'buntu.

laptop still has XP on it.... looking at a new one *lotto*, which i will probably dual 7 ultimate (x64) and buntu 10... only because i don't have to pay for either :devil2:

Akzle
10th July 2012, 10:18
...But given MS's history it'll probably be a downgrade to Win7. At this stage tho Win8 is appearing to be faster, so might be worth the upgrade on that basis alone & after all you don't have much to lose coming from Vista.

I'm sure you're aware but just incase. Upgrading from XP will only bring over your "My Documents" all apps & settings will be abolished in the upgrade & from Vista will only bring "My Documents" & windows settings, again all apps will be abolished in the upgrade.

downgrade. M$. you must be out of your mind. why would they allow you the functionality of a rollback??

i'm sure i've explained backups in another thread.
NEVER let windows install itself (especially over a previous version of winblows). that's silly.

.old kind of silly.

ckai
10th July 2012, 11:24
You should definitely try before you buy, Windows 8 has changed a lot.

Yeah I've actually installed the preview on one of the mac's. I'm one of the 0.001% that don't mind it. I generally like a clean look at hide everything on the screen anyway (generally a mac user thing since we like eye candy ;) ). I'm more than used to hot corners and have used them for years so it's second nature to me. The metro launch screen is interesting but just reminds me of a phone.

It did take me a little while to find my way around (had to search for one thing) but that was only 5 mins (which is a while for me).

To be completely honest, I'm not a fan for windows but at the moment W8 seems to be not too bad. Then again, never used W7 so could be missing something.

:) Yeah I know, gotta work with what we've got.

Upgrade to Vista? unfortunately jury's still out on that one. But given MS's history it'll probably be a downgrade to Win7. At this stage tho Win8 is appearing to be faster, so might be worth the upgrade on that basis alone & after all you don't have much to lose coming from Vista.

Yeah I was thinking about checking app compatibility (or the ability to get newer versions). This may well be the deciding factor.

SMOKEU
10th July 2012, 12:07
I'll be getting my free legit copy of Windows 8 and Server 2012 soon enough. :niceone:

flyingcrocodile46
29th July 2012, 13:23
I have had 7 for over a year on my desk top and just bought a dual touch screen laptop with 7 on it. The touch functionality with 7 is great. Particularly with the twin screen for browsing using either the Acer browser, Explorer or Firefox. Works very similarly to a tablet for ease of navigation but also works great on office docs and pdf's when multitasking. Touch screen copy and paste between documents (once you get used to it) is easier and faster to do. I use a wireless keyboard to dispense with the handicap of the virtual keyboard (not that it is any worse than any other virtual keyboard, it just limits the screen real estate for multitasking.

I have installed a preview version of 8 but am unimpressed. Aside from multiple compatibility failures such as the failure to correctly identify the compliant 1366 x 768 touch screens,1 upside down screen with no apparent fix, and the non functioning of the very cool Acer touch tools that enhance the touch functionality and multitasking (incl the far superior virtual keyboard, social jogger, windows manager etc) it really doesn't seem to offer any benefit in functionality over and above the touch version of 7.

I'll have another look at the fully tooled up final release sometime but my money is on 7 to deliver the better experience. Though that may change as the new platform is improved through the support of metro apps once more people start developing them.

Brian d marge
29th July 2012, 16:09
widows will have to do something....Pc prices coming down..lunux coming of age
my computers all run linux, rock solid ,stable....except commercial software such as catia and solidworks etc...and that is ,can be a big deal breaker,,,im ok but it is a pain
I hope these large companys lose the protectionist stance ...and let the power of the people improvethe product, can see signs in window they are trying.....apple,,yes well
stephen

flyingcrocodile46
29th July 2012, 16:28
widows will have to do something....Pc prices coming down..lunux coming of age
my computers all run linux, rock solid ,stable....except commercial software such as catia and solidworks etc...and that is ,can be a big deal breaker,,,im ok but it is a pain
I hope these large companys lose the protectionist stance ...and let the power of the people improvethe product, can see signs in window they are trying.....apple,,yes well
stephen

The Android platform has started to move toward PC level performance and provides compatibility with windows office via apps developed in the wild. With the development of cloud computing and such taking over a lot of the computing functions, the market for lower powered devices such as tablets is likely to boom. I 'm watching with interest

avgas
29th July 2012, 16:44
you can make windows 7 look and behave like XP quite easily. (except the start menu...:( ) that asides... there's not too much, underneath all the shiney shit, that's really really changed since 95. (excepting new hardware, bluetooth, ie)
As someone who still has to work on Windows 95 and Windows NT machines (Some of my control stuff is 25 years old!)........lets just say your fond memories of these OS's are misplaced. They are shit. Things are light years ahead of them.

Windows 95 - Plug in any new hardware and not only do you have to find the driver cd, find the driver file on the cd, reboot the cd and try again because and API hasn't loaded or you need to update windows installer first. Then re-attempt the driver install only to find once again you need to reboot the machine after the driver has installed. Then after the reboot for no reason at all your whole system goes to 16 bit colour because the driver you installed has a letter similar to driver which remotely sounds like your graphics driver. So then you disconnect the device, reboot again, get your graphics sorted, plug in the device, it re-detects and installs. You reboot one final time to finally get it working.
But after then it works fine :killingme
Don't forget that MSCONFIG was designed as a tool to fix windows 95 bugs so that the consumer didn't have to send their PC back to Microsoft HQ.

And windows NT was great. Unless you wanted to do anything outside 1280x1024 with 32 bit. Not to mention the MILLIONS of error reports you would get, that would eventually result in you combing the harddrives trying to find a missing file......because the search function was worse than a blind man who slept half the time.

No I will be very thankful for the day I never see 95, and NT ever again. XP SP2 ownwards were ok - but I am even getting sick of fixing XP machines where some fool has deleted all the systems files.

To drag this back on topic. Been a few month running 8 on my main PC now.
Its OK, nothing special over 7 - may be a little faster but the new metro screen slows me down anyway. Only major catastrophe so far has been when 8 tried killing off flash. Which killed my browser for a day or so.
However 8 has really lost that windows charm for me. Its not really structured anymore. They have made it Mac like - and computers have always been logical in my mind, not artsy. Metro is for metro's, the "hide-everything-that-isnt-related" thing is pissing me off and overall I enjoy using 7 more.
Looks like I need to start migrating as much as I can from Windows to Android and Mint. Would be handy if wine could load every windows application on planet.

Akzle
29th July 2012, 17:08
Windows 95 - Plug in any new hardware and not only do you have to find the driver cd, find the driver file on the cd, reboot the cd and try again because and API hasn't loaded or you need to update windows installer first. Then re-attempt the driver install only to find once again you need to reboot the machine after the driver has installed. Then after the reboot for no reason at all your whole system goes to 16 bit colour because the driver you installed has a letter similar to driver which remotely sounds like your graphics driver. So then you disconnect the device, reboot again, get your graphics sorted, plug in the device, it re-detects and installs. You reboot one final time to finally get it working.
But after then it works fine :killingme
you mistake me. i never said they were good. i just said they haven't really improved much in the last 15 years and/or only really catching up to the linux distros of the 2000s.
and i think you suck at installing shit. i never had that much of a problem. i got a 95 box to run h4xored 98se bluetooth driver's once.
i wasn't sure that 95 used the API call structure....?

3.1 was great, 95 was shit. (and so too the patches they "fixed" 95 with) 98 was buggy as hell. 98 se hid most of those bugs where people wouldn't find them, 2k was a vast improvement on nt 4.0 (which was better than 95, even for desktop users) while still using basically the same core technologies. "me" was as much of a joke as vista. mce was actually pretty l33t for a microsoft product.
i'm not sure if they've done away with the "registry" in 7, but holy hell. that was an ugly bit of programming. and i think it was only in 7, after people hacking the registry (since 98) to get the damned "recycle bin" off the f*cking desktop, that windows have FINALLY put a damn checkbox in for it.

linux solves the microsoft boot sector problem.

...And windows NT was great. Unless you wanted to do anything outside 1280x1024 with 32 bit. Not to mention the MILLIONS of error reports you would get, that would eventually result in you combing the harddrives trying to find a missing file......because the search function was worse than a blind man who slept half the time.
this is a hardware thing. the hardware of the day wasn't flass. i had a matrox video card (AGP bro!) that has 512 MB shared memory across it's four monitor outputs. asides. (very precise for photo editing, not so good for gamerz) NT was designed as a "server/enterprise" edition. not for desktop users. CLI does not need high res or true color.
and if you look under "administrative tools" in XP you'll find a lot of the old 16/32 bit tools that are hangover from nt 4.0

...Looks like I need to start migrating as much as I can from Windows to Android and Mint. Would be handy if wine could load every windows application on planet.

go mint and run VMwarez. install your windows inside linux and pwn the f*ck out of it. with newer hardware you just give a core to the vm box which is usually more than enough for a stripped out windows shell to run pretty much anything.

Scuba_Steve
29th July 2012, 17:32
I see the game devs aint impressed with Win8. Starting with Valve's Gabe calling it a "catastrophe for everyone in the PC space", now Blizzard's Rob claiming "it's not awesome for blizzard either"

pete376403
29th July 2012, 19:44
i'm not sure if they've done away with the "registry" in 7, but holy hell. that was an ugly bit of programming.

Registry is still there in W7 Ultimate so I assume the other flavours also have it.

Gremlin
3rd August 2012, 10:11
Downloaded Windows 8 Release Preview last night, as I was in the mood and we had a spare laptop with decent hardware.

Install process looked much like Win7, until you got to account creation and it was downhill from there. Normal start menu gone, replaced by Metro. Figured out how to get out of it, only to find there was no more start menu. :crazy: Then I realised that since going to Win7, I've actually been using the start menu heaps, as you just type what you want, instead of playing hide and seek with options. Now Microsoft decides we're not using it much, when I was using it more :angry2:

Just about all of the metro interface is useless for business use. All of the metro links wanted you to log into your Microsoft account, extremely cloud based, even down to login options (which is trick for MS, fucken irritating and somewhat scary). Took me a while to figure out how to get into Control Panel (wait, never found that) and found a related link to get Computer on the desktop. Obviously, I'm a heavy user, run a lot of different software constantly. It's a tool for me, not a toy.

While Microsoft keeps going down this track I'm more and more happy we're (and none of our clients) are on software assurance. At this rate 8 is going in the Vista pile and we'll see if 9 is any good. Part of me even wonders if this is going to signal the death of Microsoft as people run away to flavours of Linux. We're extremely Windows based, Exchange servers, active directory, it's uh... what businesses doooo. Trials of Linux for users didn't go well at all. The changing for the sake of change is ridiculous. Users just want to work, not love their fucken OS and play with it all day...

oh well, rant over. I'm off to fix/upgrade computers. This last week or two has been the season for viruses and broken computers.

oneofsix
3rd August 2012, 10:27
I thought having to play with the OS all day was the attraction of Linux, also why it struggles to get market share.
Windows trying to be hip, one bad OS, fix the fuck-ups, the don't works. Thinking about it, every second release is like a gamma release, a bit better than a beta, bugs mainly sorted, but actually a market tester.

Gremlin
3rd August 2012, 10:32
Oh, then I realised that after 5 minutes of playing, I was spending all my time trying to get Win7 back. Decided to leave it stock to see how quickly the boss gets annoyed (he hasn't played yet). Hardly a good mark of an OS if you spend your time trying to get something else.

SMOKEU
3rd August 2012, 10:40
I thought having to play with the OS all day was the attraction of Linux, also why it struggles to get market share.

It's because of the lack of OEM Linux distributions.

avgas
3rd August 2012, 10:49
go mint and run VMwarez. install your windows inside linux and pwn the f*ck out of it. with newer hardware you just give a core to the vm box which is usually more than enough for a stripped out windows shell to run pretty much anything.
Ha would love to - but really need to find a way to completely port things over to linux rather than just ductape it to a VM.
The UX problems I faced with linux in the past are fast dissolving. But unfortunately all the driver/api and reg issues that I need for my work still exist.
regedit is still in 7 and 8 and Vista.

Really need to get my head around Mint properly. The alternative is stepping back into the Mac, but I wan't to leave that moment for when I am senile and no longer have my own thoughts.

avgas
3rd August 2012, 11:15
i think you suck at installing shit. i never had that much of a problem. i got a 95 box to run h4xored 98se bluetooth driver's once.
Its one of the perks of my job. Taking piles of shit and try and make it work.
But the driver install issue I explained below was the wondrous 1995 Matrox Millennium 1MB "64bit" card. This combined with an AWE32.

Most stuff at the day (graphics/sound) you just set the type, set the IRQ and DMA and your away. That first Matrox card of mine was like going to a dentist who's hooked the drill up to a V8.
Got there in the end. Turned out they had released the product globally - and put the wrong driver CD in there. It had a driver that conflicted with SB ones. So once the matrox was installed, and I then installed the AWE it then fucked the Matrox.........and back around the circle we went.

Hindsight in tech is a wonderful thing. Taking new gear to run on old stuff is good fun. But when 95, 98 and XP were brand new, pain usually ensues. Vista onwards have been the only windows op systems where I haven't had to dig around the back to get things to work straight away.

95, 3.11, DOS and OS2 all I did was dig around the back. But it was educational back then :brick:

ME was the compromise of only having to install 50% of the crap on the machine.

flyingcrocodile46
3rd August 2012, 18:50
I am not sure if 8 is going to deliver anything worth the hassle. One feature I would like is the ability to single touch multiple page docs, (incl ebooks and mags) to have them fill the screen and allow pages to be turned like a book (by touching the corner of the page and swiping across the screen). That would be cool.

SMOKEU
3rd August 2012, 18:57
Apparently 8 is going to have over 2000 cmdlets.

SMOKEU
3rd August 2012, 19:03
The GUI on 8 drives me crazy.

Madmax
27th August 2012, 11:46
The GUI on 8 drives me crazy.

your not alone
http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/31286-Is-it-just-me-or-does-Windows-8-SUCK

Bald Eagle
27th August 2012, 12:12
Apparently 8 is going to have over 2000 cmdlets.

and how many of them will work as expected rofl

SMOKEU
28th August 2012, 20:10
Looks like Server 2012 is going to have the same faggot metro interface as 8. I had hoped that MS would keep that kind of crap off its line of server products. I actually had to do a Google search to find out how to shut the computer down on 8. I also don't like the fact that I can't click the start menu and start typing in the first few characters of the application I want to open, and then have a list of matching applications appear in the search menu.

If there was a simple way to get rid of that horrible start menu I might be open to using it, but I don't think I'd have to patience to use the OS for long enough to actually change the start menu to a more conventional design.

Bald Eagle
28th August 2012, 20:15
Another fine example of M$ deciding whats best for you. Thank goodness for the alternatives

Brian d marge
28th August 2012, 21:37
Ubuntu unity.....I like it now , but hated it then, but one good thing about penquin , u just download another desktop gnome etc
One thing that really pisses me off,,,,is upgrades that kill software ..just upgraded from ubuntu long term to 12.04 long term ...killed 2 programs i know off havent checked the others
bastard
Debian , kinda was one os that just left things alone .....iif it works dont fk it up, or at least release 2 ...new and just plain works ....

imho

stephen

pzkpfw
29th August 2012, 15:43
Looks like Server 2012 is going to have the same faggot metro interface as 8. I had hoped that MS would keep that kind of crap off its line of server products. I actually had to do a Google search to find out how to shut the computer down on 8. I also don't like the fact that I can't click the start menu and start typing in the first few characters of the application I want to open, and then have a list of matching applications appear in the search menu.

If there was a simple way to get rid of that horrible start menu I might be open to using it, but I don't think I'd have to patience to use the OS for long enough to actually change the start menu to a more conventional design.

It's been going that way for a while. There's a SBS2008 server I help maintain. I hate it. The GUI * would be very very powerful, but it's all icon driven. Instead of a menu, using words like "User Admin" for user admin, I have to look for and recognise the icon with the faces and the odd squiggle-blob that somehow makes the picture of faces into a picture of admin of faces. Hate it.

(Just an example, don't anyone get hung up on the specifics.)

I read English. I don't read icon.

(* Yes, the G of GUI means Graphical, but I think it's been taken too far.)

MOTOXXX
3rd September 2012, 14:44
metro isnt on server 2012. Ive had a look at server 2012 and its pretty good. there is finally a gui recycle bin for Active directory you can switch between core and standard modes. You can spin up Domain controlellers fast and they can all be virutual instead of having to have 1 physical DC. Hyper-V is also much improved esp for SMB market (i use ESXi so im not promoting anything here)

Microsoft seems to be moving towards centralised managment of servers rather than using RDP to manage each server individually. I think its a good move

Windows 8 isnt Massivly different to me, if you turn off metro its basically windows 7 without a start button. i still prefer win7 at this stage.

looking forward to teched Wednesday

pzkpfw
3rd September 2012, 14:49
teched?

That was vital.

Until I became self employed and had to pay for it myself...

SMOKEU
4th September 2012, 15:43
Looks like I can get my free legit copy of Windows 8 RTM right now. I might as well take it. Can't wait till I get my free legit copy of Server 2012 as well. I just had another play around with 8, and it's actually quite nice. The whole issue was PEBKAC, you can open the new start menu and start typing, just like with 7, and it comes up with a list of processes and services matching the description. Once you get the hang of the new start menu it's actually very easy and quick to use.