PDA

View Full Version : Road kill

Stylo
27th April 2012, 18:53
Back of Lake Aviemore on my way back from Cromwell this morning , still warm when I touched it maybe just collected with a 4WD , first Wallaby I've seen on the road , I think it's dead

haydes55
27th April 2012, 19:03
I remember driving back from Invercargill towards Chch, saw a dead Wallaby that someone had wedged between two signs... That made me feel sick... And that's the only time I've ever been sickened by the sight of something.

Would hate to imagine hitting a wallaby on a motorbike!

Madness
27th April 2012, 19:04
The sight of a Hayabusa was prolly enough for the poor thing to commit hurry curry.

unstuck
27th April 2012, 19:05
Ya should of grabbed a couple of steaks off of it, wallaby stew, yummy.:drool:

FJRider
27th April 2012, 19:08
Yes they have been seen in that area before. There is a lot of wide open area to the north of there ... little (human) population to slow or restrict their movement. Chamois and goats have been seen on the roads around there too. I've seen Wallabys on the road between Kurow and Ikawai too ... AT NIGHT. :eek:

Flip
27th April 2012, 21:11
We have been going hunting up there for a while, we call it "issuing lead exit visas to Australian over stayers".

Stylo
28th April 2012, 18:40
We have been going hunting up there for a while, we call it "issuing lead exit visas to Australian over stayers".

Often wondered how the Wallabies seem to be unique to the Waimate region .... anyone know ?

When I come round the corner a big Hawk was sitting on it , soon took to the air when I did a U turn haha ...<_<

unstuck
28th April 2012, 18:45
Yep, easier to read it for yourself though.:msn-wink: http://www.nzetc.org/tm/scholarly/tei-Bio15Tuat02-t1-body-d1.html

Berries
28th April 2012, 18:51
Often wondered how the Wallabies seem to be unique to the Waimate region .... anyone know ?
They have to cross the river somewhere, and have you seen the length of those Waitaki bridges? Apparently they all start massing on the northern embankment just before dusk and then when it gets dark they all make a mad dash for it, a bit like the Mexicans trying to get in to the US. Halfway across they generally meet a northbound milk tanker.

There is never any evidence of this because all the people in Oamaru are feral - you won't find any roadkill within a 25km radius of the town centre. Fact.

EDIT - I can't believe the above link didn't mention this natural phenomena. It is on a par with the great wildebeest migrations of north Canterbury.

Kickaha
28th April 2012, 18:57

When I come round the corner a big Hawk was sitting on it , soon took to the air when I did a U turn haha ...<_<

They have now been spotted out the back of Amberley, there was something about it in one of the local newspapers a few weeks back
http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/mp/13409363/wallabies-mobilising-in-south-island/
http://digital.hurunuinews.co.nz/olive/ode/hur_daily/LandingPage/LandingPage.aspx?href=SFVSLzIwMTEvMTIvMDg.&pageno=Mw..&entity=QXIwMDMwMQ..&view=ZW50aXR5

DrunkenMistake
28th April 2012, 20:02
We seen one or two around that area at Easter time,
Couldnt fucking believe it haha

Flip
28th April 2012, 20:20

They were introduced and don't like the high country, its too cold. They also can't swin and are landlocked in the Waimate hills.

Grasshopperus
28th April 2012, 21:33
Pity you didn't have any room on your pillion seat eh? That'd have made an amusing passenger, and a helluva bike-wash afterwards

DrunkenMistake
28th April 2012, 22:13
Pity you didn't have any room on your pillion seat eh? That'd have made an amusing passenger, and a helluva bike-wash afterwards

Wait for the fucker to stiffen up you reckon? Lmao

Stylo
29th April 2012, 18:37

I should have picked it up and dropped it on the main St in Waimate ...

I just don't do the blood dripping all over my Bike thing....

Old Steve
29th April 2012, 18:54
My wife was staying at the motel at Lake Okataina for a few nights (out of Rotorua) and I stayed there with her one night. We were walking back across the parking lot that evening after a few drinks and I said, "Geez the possums are large here." She just clapped her hands and the possum grazing on the lawn stood up and loped off towards the bush. Took me a few seconds to realise it wasn't the drink, that it really was a wallaby. Up until then I was unaware that there were wallabies anywhere but on Kawau. But would hate to meet one out on the road on the bike. Even as road kill they'd be quite a lump to negotiate.

rustic101
29th April 2012, 19:40
You should have skinned it, cured it and made a seat cover for the Busa..

Stylo
29th April 2012, 20:20
You should have skinned it, cured it and made a seat cover for the Busa..

Good call , must say my bum was getting numb toward the end, quick trip 1400kms in 2 days and a bit ...

caseye
29th April 2012, 22:40
My wife was staying at the motel at Lake Okataina for a few nights (out of Rotorua) and I stayed there with her one night. We were walking back across the parking lot that evening after a few drinks and I said, "Geez the possums are large here." She just clapped her hands and the possum grazing on the lawn stood up and loped off towards the bush. Took me a few seconds to realise it wasn't the drink, that it really was a wallaby. Up until then I was unaware that there were wallabies anywhere but on Kawau. But would hate to meet one out on the road on the bike. Even as road kill they'd be quite a lump to negotiate.

Theres been Wallaby's round Waikermoana for decades, wouldn't surprise me to learn they've got as far north as Rotten Rua.
Most certainly don't need a marsupial as large as that loose on our roads at night, I've seen Wombats on the Roads up in the Blue Mountains on the road to Bathurst in OZ big enough to trip up 18 wheelers, OK Camper vans like ours.

DrunkenMistake
30th April 2012, 00:29
Good call , must say my bum was getting numb toward the end, quick trip 1400kms in 2 days and a bit ...

Thought those things were suppose to be a comfy tourer?

I done 2,500km in two days over Easter time on a Korean P.O.S and besides losing an inch off my total height from my spine compressing everytime I went over a slight bump in the road I cant complain at all haha,
Swap bikes? :shifty:

Stylo
30th April 2012, 18:38
Thought those things were suppose to be a comfy tourer?

I done 2,500km in two days over Easter time on a Korean P.O.S and besides losing an inch off my total height from my spine compressing everytime I went over a slight bump in the road I cant complain at all haha,
Swap bikes? :shifty:

Sounds like a deal, not sure about the 'Busa being a 'comfy tourer' though, where did you read that ? ?

DrunkenMistake
30th April 2012, 18:50
Sounds like a deal, not sure about the 'Busa being a 'comfy tourer' though, where did you read that ? ?

Someone was wanking on about how they make an ideal tourer and how they are really comfy on long hauls,
I am yet to take one for a twirl so I have no idea haha.

jrandom
30th April 2012, 18:55
Someone was wanking on about how they make an ideal tourer and how they are really comfy on long hauls

Depends on whether you find a low seat and high pegs comfortable. Can you sit all day with your heels three inches away from your arse cheeks?

Personally, I'd rather tour on a motocrosser.