PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Helmet Information

vifferman
29th July 2005, 11:44
My apologies if this has been posted before.

http://motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/hatz/

It's very long, but gives interesting data about helmet testing standards and methods.

Summary:

Helmets are getting better and better.
Cheaper doesn't mean worserer.
Stiffer / more expensive helmets are necessarily better (and often aren't).
Thermoplastic helmets actually absorb impacts better than fibreglass.(Yeah, that surprised me too!)

TwoSeven
29th July 2005, 12:01
Cheers, i'll have a read later (have stuff to do). But while this is on a lid thread - does anyone know who sells 'FM' lids in NZ (not FFM).

Lou Girardin
29th July 2005, 12:18
That's fine from a safety testing point of view. But it doesn't go into comfort, stability, ventilation etc. These are the things that involve research, design and testing, and add to the cost.

vifferman
29th July 2005, 12:29
That's fine from a safety testing point of view. But it doesn't go into comfort, stability, ventilation etc. These are the things that involve research, design and testing, and add to the cost.
True. :yes:
On the other hand, buying a big name brand doesn't necessarily guarantee any of that either, or that it's going to be comfortable after 2 or 3 hours on the road. It'd be nice if you could road-test a helmet (did that once, with my last AGV - it felt too tight in the shop, but great after 30 minutes or so on the road.)
Ideally, you'd choose a shell, then have the filler custom-fit to your head.

unhingedlizard
29th July 2005, 12:40
Just like to add my two cents. I have two lids, a shark s9 (i think) and a 'cheap' FFM. The shark was 99pounds and has graphics on it, it fits like a glove, has a chin flap and a nose guard thing, is quite quiet, and good ventalaion. The FFM cost $300 (so about the same) and is, by comparasion, noisy, doesnt fit as well, feels cheaper and less modern.

Same price, couldnt be different helmets.