PDA

View Full Version : Wanted to buy a Ducati (Bobby B.)

Bobby B.
29th April 2012, 22:27
Wanted to buy a ducati but some says that it is really expensive to maintain. Is it really true that maintenance of Ducati here in NZ chch very expensive? Do anyone have an opinion regarding this matter. Really love the looks and sounds of a Ducati.I have just passed my 6F license and wanted to buy a Good Motorbike. Any advice from anyone. Which is good triumph or ducati? thanks

onearmedbandit
29th April 2012, 22:37
You could ask Duane at Duanes Bikes'n'skis. Expert Duke mechanic so he should be able to give you some idea of servicing costs of your particular model.

98tls
29th April 2012, 22:43
If you have to dont buy anything built in the Cagiva era unless you get off on pain.Which particular Ducati sound turns you on? ie the Durattly dry clutch/the real Ducati with contis/ or the late model stuff,fine if you can afford one but be prepared to suffer the red face when some guy with ability goes past you on an old GSXR he bought with milk bottle money...

dogsnbikes
29th April 2012, 23:21
Don't know about Dukes

But Triumphs can be expensive depending on your budget situation and if your paying someone to do it..

a quick rundown on a daytona 955i and 1200 trophy

Daytona,sprint,speedtriple 955i's

Doing a basic service Oil and Oil & air filters and plugs should be under an hour,Price will vary depending on parts and oil used and labour charges

Trophy1200/900,Thunderbirds

Doing a basic service Oil and Oil & air filters and plugs will take around 4hours(the air filters are a bastard to change),Price will vary depending on parts and oil used and labour charges

My Daytona has 100,000ks on the clock and the shim's haven't needed to be done yet,and my Trophy has 29000 miles so around 50,000ks and the shims were still within specs as was the cam chain,I replace my oil and oil fiter every 5000k's,

I allow the following

plugs $50
oil filter $20
sump plug washer $1
brake pads front & rear $180
Tyres $600 a set
Chain & sprockets set $400
Oil $100-$150

Air filter I use Piper x so they just reqiure cleaning but costed around $150 to buy one for the trophy you can look at K&N filters too

DrunkenMistake
30th April 2012, 00:42

You could get one of those.. Cheap.. Same engine set up...

Nawww who am I kidding :no:
Im stuck with it forever..

MIXONE
30th April 2012, 07:17
I ride a ducati and have done more than 25k in the last two years.It might be a little more expensive to maintain but not much.I still love it everytime I fire it up.

Quasi
30th April 2012, 07:21
i have done 50,000km on my MonstA in the last three years and apart from regular servicing at the recommended km's, have not had to spend anything on my lovely girl. I got the first service done by the Duc dealer and it cost me an arm and a leg. Then made some enquiries and found a wonderful mechanic nearby who has a great rep, and who is very reasonable. Lots of my Duc owning friends now come to him. When i first started riding at 18 it was always my dream to one day own a Duc, didnt do it until three years ago and what a journey its been. Best desicion I have made in a long time. Follow your dreams

jim.cox
30th April 2012, 07:24
If it really is a Ducati you want, then nothing else will do.

The new ones are no more expensive to maintain than other modern bikes - maybe less 'cos there is only two cylinders (usually)

A lot of the 'expensive bike' myths seem to stem from the relibaility issues of the older bikes from the '70's and '80's - the new ones are very different.

Learning to do your own maintenance will save you $$$ - but that's the case with any bike. The air-cooled, two valve engines (900SS etc) are actually pretty easy to work on. The liquid cooled, four valves are more complicated but not hugely so.

I would say try as many as you can - but be warned they can be highly addictive...

Marmoot
30th April 2012, 18:39
I ride a ducati and have done more than 25k in the last two years.It might be a little more expensive to maintain but not much.I still love it everytime I fire it up.

+1

Makes the trip to work worthwhile, and the weekend divine.

Corse1
30th April 2012, 19:22
Have owned my Ducati for nearly 6 years and 25000kms. Had nothing but a front brake light switch fail. $40 worth. Do my own maintenance. Oil and filter easy to do on your own. had minor adjustments required on first valve check but nothing has moved since then. Maintenance is more expensive when you factor in belts that other bikes do not have and more regular valve checks. Every 10000kms compared to 40000kms for lets say an R1.

If you are going to skimp on the maintenance then buy Japanese. As others have said, the character of the Ducati makes it worth while every time.

Triumphs are known for sprag clutch failures but modern units are otherwise bullet proof. Valve check every 20000kms and I found the Speed triple to be more of a pain in the ass than the ducati to do the valves. If adjustment is needed then cams have to come out to get at the under bucket shims. Each to their own though.