PDA

View Full Version : My bike won't start :(

Magua
25th December 2003, 12:58
I went to start my bike yesterday morning, held down the button and it wouldn't start! I heard all the usual noises but nothing. Being new to biking I'm at a loss at what's wrong. A friend should be coming over in a couple of days to take a look thinking it could be the battery, though I was really hoping to have it going by tommorow.

Are there like common causes of this? anything I can do?
Some help please.

James Deuce
25th December 2003, 13:35
I get the feeling you've either knocked the kill switch from the run to the off position, or the fuel tap is in the off position, or you've gone onto reserve at some point and forgotten to switch it back to main when you've filled up, thereby running out of fuel. (Was that the longest sentence EVER? :))

Those are the first things I check when the bike won't start.

Jim2

Magua
25th December 2003, 14:00
Damn, It wasn't either of those.

marty
25th December 2003, 14:57
is the spark plug lead still on top of the spark plug?

Magua
25th December 2003, 17:23
I asume so, I dont see how it could of fallen off while I was in Australia for a week, it worked fine prior to my leaving. It's just been sitting underneath the house for the last 8 days.

marty
25th December 2003, 18:12
there's not much to go wrong really.

if it's turning over, then it's not the battery.

if there's definately fuel in the tank, and the tap is at least on reserve, then there should be fuel getting to the carb (have you checked that it hasn't been siphoned/drained while you were away?)

it would be unlikely to be the ignition leads/condesor failing or breaking down on such a new bike. the plug though may have failed, but if was going ok when you left it, i'd pick fuel. it's a simple job to pull the plug out and have a look at it. i would at least do that.

i've had the fuel thing stump me on the roadside - thought i had changed it to reserve but had switched it off (it is in italian....)

merv
25th December 2003, 18:42
I presume you are using the choke as you are meant to and if its typical of my DR250R it will run pretty lean so I give mine a couple of squirts on the accelerator pump to start it from cold i.e. by twisting the throttle around a couple of times before I hit the starter button.

You say you only left it a week so the next comment probably doesn't apply, but truth be known I reckon there has been problems with our bikes if you leave them sitting too long ever since NZ has had unleaded 96 octane. I only ride my DR occasionally and when I do to get it going I always open the carb drain with the fuel still turned on to let it flush fresh fuel through from the tank. Mine has an Allen screw drain plug on the side of the carb, not sure what yours would have. Works a treat and it always starts if I do that. This normally applies if I've left it for quite a few weeks not just one week.

You can check the ignition is working by taking the spark plug out then reattach it to its lead and earth the base of the plug against the engine and push the starter with the key on and see if you are getting a spark at the plug. If not then you might have a problem there.

However chances are it is a fuel thing.

Magua
25th December 2003, 19:52
Could be fuel, dunno. The bike hasn't really had much use in the time it's been around, the last owner literally just took it around the corner every now and then. I'll look into a few things tommorow morning, I've got a friend coming over, we will try some stuff. I'll get back to you hopefully with good news :niceone: .

Marmoot
25th December 2003, 20:17
If it is cranking (the engine is turning) while you're starting,
- Check if you're using the choke properly. Most bike need the choke when starting cold.
- Check your fuel (is it there? is the fuel tap in ON position?). Might be too much condensation increased water element in the fuel. Or the fuel line is clogged by dirt (sometimes shaking the bike around helps).
- Check spark plug. See if it is fouled. Probably the engine is flooded (unburned petrol due to wrong starting for too long).

If it is not cranking (no noise at all),
- Check all battery connections OK or not.
- If there is a "click click" noise when pushing starter button, might be the relay and electrical are ok but there is something wrong with your starter motor.
- Might be the battery is dead. If it is, call AA if you need them to jump start your bike. Or you can try Suzuka-style bump start. DO NOT TEST BATTERY BY HOLDING TWO CONNECTORS WITH YOUR BARE HANDS!!!
- Could be broken electrical cabling
- Could be starter relay (hopefully not)
- Could be your ECU is fried (pray it's not this one!)

Andrew
25th December 2003, 20:38
I live in northcote, I don't mind coming over if you would like me to have a look at it. pm me for details

georgedubyabush
26th December 2003, 12:49
You say you only left it a week so the next comment probably doesn't apply, but truth be known I reckon there has been problems with our bikes if you leave them sitting too long ever since NZ has had unleaded 96 octane. I only ride my DR occasionally and when I do to get it going I always open the carb drain with the fuel still turned on to let it flush fresh fuel through from the tank. Mine has an Allen screw drain plug on the side of the carb, not sure what yours would have. Works a treat and it always starts if I do that. This normally applies if I've left it for quite a few weeks not just one week.

That goes with what ive been told about our gas too. The KZ650 was a bloody nightmare to start until I learned about the drains. Battery screwed so about 30-40 kicks till she fires up. If I drain all 4 carbs, she starts first kick. Left overnight she starts fine, but anything longer than a couple of days and she needs a drain.

mangell6
26th December 2003, 15:41
DO NOT TEST BATTERY BY HOLDING TWO CONNECTORS WITH YOUR BARE HANDS!!!

WIMP!! :whistle:

Of course real bike people use their hands. The smell of smoldering flesh just what one needs to remind you that you are human.

Mike

Marmoot
26th December 2003, 17:47
Mangell6: care for a job vacancy as Battery Tester then? No pay, but anything cooked you can take home with you :bigthumb:

mangell6
26th December 2003, 18:51
Marmoot :niceone:

Truck and tractor batteries are best, I always had a sore elbow after testing though.

:2thumbsup:

Am older and wiser

Mike

Marmoot
26th December 2003, 19:32
Mangell6: the way you put it has made me wonder whether you are serious or not about testing batteries with bare hands...... :eek5:

James Deuce
26th December 2003, 19:40
Mangell6: the way you put it has made me wonder whether you are serious or not about testing batteries with bare hands...... :eek5:

I've seen him. He's bald on top but it's not total - if you look carefully it looks like a crop circle. His ear hair sticks straight out and cell phones refuse to work in a 30ft radius around him. He starts his bike by tapping the electronic ignition, and even though his bar end weights sometimes melt after a particularly frantic ride, he CLAIMS it's due to incorrectly wiring his heated hand grips.

Sounds (and looks) suspiciously like an electro-junkie to me.

Jim2

mangell6
26th December 2003, 20:08
Marmoot - My brother assisted me with my first battery removal, 24v, from Grandfathers tractor, we were five and six. My grandfather couldn't workout how we got it down on to the ground. Try a car alternator for a kick, but I could never get the hang of tying up electric fence gates, no insulation just loop the wire together.

Jim2 - The hairstyle is a family trait and the earhair is now removed to allow the XR1000 to fit and the wifes bike has the heated grips. (see ya tomorrow :))

Mike

Jackrat
27th December 2003, 08:38
Ok.If she,s turning over as per normal it,s not your battery.
Pull the spark plug an test it by pluging it back into the HT lead an while holding it with insulated something against head or barrel of bike,Crank it over an watch for spark,If no spark then you either have a very stuffed plug or it,s time to check your coil,If you have spark then don,t asume the plug is ok,
as it may still fail under load.When you first pull the plug make sure you notice if it is wet with gas,if you have cranked it over a few times it should be.If when you check the plug you are geting a nice fat spark,hopefully it is good so do this.Trikle about a tea spoon of fuel into plug hole and put the plug back in,fast so the gas don,t dry up.hook up the HT lead an hit the button.If the plug is good it should fire an run a few seconds.Don,t put more than a tea spoon of gas in,it will be heaps.If it won,t fire then there is a chance your plug is failing under load,Take your spare plug,(You do have one aye)Yeah course you do.Test new plug same way as before.If plug is good then you probably have a fuel problem but try the trikle priming test again.If the bike does fire an then stop after priming then you do have a fuel problem
It is now time to strip an clean your carb,put a fuel filter in the gas line,drain an refill the tank ect ect.If you get no spark at all when checking your plug.
Take off your kill switch,spray with WD40 or that other shit I never use myself
and work the switch a dozen times or more making sure it is clean ect.If still no spark.Get your little brother or some other suitable sucker to hold the end of the HT lead while you crank it over.If there is power coming out that lead your bro, or ex mate will let you know.If not then it is time to vist your local bike shop. :sick:
Cheers.

Magua
27th December 2003, 10:28
:Oops: errr oh um, sorry. Thanks for all the help but it turns out that I wasn't using the choke properly :Oops:

Thanks anyway guys for all the help and suggestions.

James Deuce
27th December 2003, 10:35
:Oops: errr oh um, sorry. Thanks for all the help but it turns out that I wasn't using the choke properly :Oops:

:doh:

It's all part of the learning process and at least you have a whole bunch of information about trouble shooting starting your bike!

Happy New Year :)

Jim2

Jackrat
27th December 2003, 12:30

Yep been there too ;)
All part of the curve,have fun. :D

Indiana_Jones
6th January 2004, 23:23
:done:

-Indy

k14
7th January 2004, 06:32
Dont worry. I once tried to get my bike going for a few hours just to find i hadnt turned the kill switch off :o

georgedubyabush
7th January 2004, 08:21
Dont worry. I once tried to get my bike going for a few hours just to find i hadnt turned the kill switch off :o

Turning the key to slightly past the 'On' position is a good one too.

jrandom
7th January 2004, 08:37
or you could be like me and panic when the bike stutters and stalls approaching the Harbour Bridge, oh shit, thought there was enough gas in there, fortunately I haven't run out of mway shoulder yet so pull over and scratch my head for five minutes contemplating the best way to push it back to a gas station until I realise that

- I've been happily running the fuel tap on reserve and relying on the fuel gauge and tripmeter, thereby getting out of the whole 'switch to reserve and fill up' mindset; and

- the guy at the shop turned the tap back to main before handing the bike back and there's still 1/5 tank left...

d'oh!

Hitcher
7th January 2004, 09:59
My Dad told me there were only three things responsible for successful ignition: fuel, spark and compression. After having played around with sulky two-stroke engines over many years (remember when lawn mowers had two strokes, not to mention the first two-stroke farm bikes), I have to concede that he was right.
:2thumbsup