PDA

View Full Version : Traffic light trigger

DODO``
1st May 2012, 11:34
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GAacxGiV4A

would this work in NZ too? or do we have different trigger system??:msn-wink:

sil3nt
1st May 2012, 11:40
Never had a problem of lights not detecting any bike I have been on.

oneofsix
1st May 2012, 11:43
same triggering system in most cases. I try to place the bike over the middle 'loop'.

Hoon
1st May 2012, 11:50
Yes the same but our figure 8 loops are a lot smaller.

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/roadcode/cyclist-code/gfx/vehicle-detectors.jpg

nathanwhite
1st May 2012, 11:50
More or less the same thing. Thing I find works best is to position yourself right on top of the sensor in the middle of the two sections.
There was a thread not too long ago talking about this... Something else that came up there is to turn your engine off. Changes something in the EM field or sommat. :confused:

slofox
1st May 2012, 11:52
Never had a problem.

tigertim20
1st May 2012, 12:08
yes the same.
Ive had friends who have attached various magnets to parts of their bike to help out.

I dont usually have too much of a problem with it though.

I was told by someone (I dont know ha=ow accurate this is though) that if you notice a particular intersection that is bad for not picking up on a motorcycle, you can contact the council, and they can somehow adjust the sensitivity. - I dunno how accurate this is but worth a try if theres somewhere thats always a pain

bogan
1st May 2012, 12:19
It was always my understanding that the law of superposition meant the two fields did not affect each other. I'd be interested in what (if any) 'scientific theory' is actually going on.

nathanwhite
1st May 2012, 12:34
It was always my understanding that the law of superposition meant the two fields did not affect each other. I'd be interested in what (if any) 'scientific theory' is actually going on.

Scientific theory on Kiwibiker? :killingme:

baffa
2nd May 2012, 14:09
Cant view the vid, but Ive found plenty of lights that dont trigger from my bike. Its good fun sitting through several phases when everyone else can go but you.

Macontour
2nd May 2012, 14:40
I was sitting in an Army Unimog truck recently and probably because of the height of any metal above the ground and large off road type tyres the lights would not give us the turn arrow. We sat through 3 changes before going on the fourth because the queue of pissed off drivers behind us was starting to get a bit big.

Even tried moving as far forward into the intersection as we could in the hope that the car behind would trigger the lights but it didn't work.

sleemanj
2nd May 2012, 17:53
No idea if it works or not, but if you want to try it out then neodym's can be bought from:

http://www.magneticmagnets.co.nz

(disclosure: they are one of my web development clients)

Or you could rip apart an old hard drive or two, they contain a couple of decent sized ones.

Also, if you have never seen neodymium magnets before, they are crazy strong - beware of fingers etc with larger sized ones.

Blackshear
2nd May 2012, 19:31
I've got a few 10x25 cylindrical N4x neodymium magnets to spare, if you're close enough I could happily go for a wander and deliver a couple (I know they are relatively cheap, anyway). They're actually really good for the odd garage, finding that fucking oil plug in the container etc. Just don't let them bang together and crack, they rust like nobodies business.

Having said that, never had a problem with lights as I can recall.

flyingcrocodile46
2nd May 2012, 19:32
Steel cap boots

AD345
2nd May 2012, 20:49
It's all good...

...'til you get stuck to a manhole cover

You've been warned

Latte
2nd May 2012, 20:57
Side stand down. Eaaaaasy.

Maybe not all the time though.

bogan
2nd May 2012, 21:02

Billet ali sidestand? Not so easy :bleh:

Latte
2nd May 2012, 21:05
Billet ali sidestand? Not so easy :bleh:

Just get your mate ducatilover to wheelie the bike up to the lights.

Eeaaaaaasy.
:jerry:

bogan
2nd May 2012, 21:09
Eeaaaaaasy.
:jerry:

digging asphalt out of plastics, and removing front wheel from the traffic light pole...

...not so eeaaaaaasy :innocent:

Latte
2nd May 2012, 21:13
digging asphalt out of plastics, and removing front wheel from the traffic light pole...

...not so eeaaaaaasy :innocent:

You got me there, how about a magnet?

Berries
3rd May 2012, 07:09
I was told by someone (I dont know ha=ow accurate this is though) that if you notice a particular intersection that is bad for not picking up on a motorcycle, you can contact the council, and they can somehow adjust the sensitivity. - I dunno how accurate this is but worth a try if theres somewhere thats always a pain
That might have been me in another thread but the search function on here is wank.

Yes they can 'tune' the sensitivity of the loops if it is not picking you up. Best to ring the council to get it fixed, and to generally abuse them for lots of other reasons at the same time seeing as that is what they are there for.

Andy67
3rd May 2012, 07:17

Maybe not all the time though.

Yep urban legend states side stand down, I actually tried it once and the lights did change. Maybe coincidence , maybe not.

Conquiztador
3rd May 2012, 10:43
I tell ya, it is all that plastic on todays bikes. And carbonfibre. Add to it that beer cans now are alloy. If the lights dont turn green I normally go anyhow.