PDA

View Full Version : Back protector?

Nensura
3rd May 2012, 19:41
Hi everyone im new to the riding scene and have spent the last month buying my gear before i take to the roads, but i have 1 issue left.

My jacket has a slot for back protector but i see that most trademe back protectors must be worn, not inserted into jacket.

Whats best? what kind of back protector do i need to purchase?

So far my gear:

Helmet: HLD
Pants and gloves: 1 tonne
Jacket: Shift
and boots: M2R

Ive only got a 125cc bike but plan to go on the motorway as i need to go over the bridge to get to uni, so a decent back protector might be required just in case.

Thanks all!

Jericho.

Fast Eddie
3rd May 2012, 19:45
shit your keen on the gear! haha good man.

best just to buy one that you wear, they don't weigh anything and just strap on around ur middle. some have shoulder straps too. I've never seen ones to slip into jackets. I had leathers which came with removable armour in the back etc but it came with the armour u didnt have to go buy it seperate.

I never wear my back protector on the road tho, just at the track.

flyingcrocodile46
3rd May 2012, 19:47
Hi everyone im new to the riding scene and have spent the last month buying my gear before i take to the roads, but i have 1 issue left.

My jacket has a slot for back protector but i see that most trademe back protectors must be worn, not inserted into jacket.

Whats best? what kind of back protector do i need to purchase?

So far my gear:

Helmet: HLD
Pants and gloves: 1 tonne
Jacket: Shift
and boots: M2R

Ive only got a 125cc bike but plan to go on the motorway as i need to go over the bridge to get to uni, so a decent back protector might be required just in case.

Thanks all!

Jericho.

Cut the straps off and stuff it into your jacket. :shifty: or buy a strapless one for $39 at Cycletreads

Kickaha
3rd May 2012, 19:49
Cut the straps off and stuff it into your jacket. :shifty:

Thats what I am planning on doing when I replace my current one, it will go into the jacket and I'll buy a new one for racing

Fast Eddie
3rd May 2012, 19:52
haha good idea

Nensura
3rd May 2012, 19:59
ah ok i thought the cheaper ones might've been rubbish since they dont have the vertebrae layout.

Ill go purchase one i can tuck in the jacket i guess, $39 is a bargain lol =)

Thanks everyone!

nzspokes
3rd May 2012, 20:24
I pulled the one out of my jacket, it seems to make my jacket push into the back of my helmet.

One day I will get a non jacket one.

Tigadee
3rd May 2012, 20:34
Ill go purchase one i can tuck in the jacket i guess, $39 is a bargain

10 dollars only from Cnell [TradeMe], ask him/her through any of their listings' Q&A.

sharp2183
3rd May 2012, 20:49
I'd get a wear underneath style one. I used to think that it wasn't worth wearing one on the road, until I saw firsthand the benefit of having one.

RJAYS make a good one, not too expensive and covers the tailbone too.

Blackshear
3rd May 2012, 21:53
I pulled the one out of my jacket, it seems to make my jacket push into the back of my helmet.

One day I will get a non jacket one.

My 666/661/611 whatever, articulated piece does that same, as it tends to keep riding up. Was fine on the TL though (forward seating vs casual on the bandit), so long as I didn't hit too many intersections.

EDIT: In the future, I will be getting a better unit to protect more of my back. I've been lucky enough recently to warrant more protection.

nzspokes
3rd May 2012, 21:59
My 666/661/611 whatever, articulated piece does that same, as it tends to keep riding up. Was fine on the TL though (forward seating vs casual on the bandit), so long as I didn't hit too many intersections.

For me I think its my pie induced conical shape that is the root cause.

Blackshear
3rd May 2012, 22:04
For me I think its my pie induced conical shape that is the root cause.

At 100~kg and 6'2" myself, it's a great tummy tuck!
Fuck, I haven't had a pie in ages. But a big can of V every day... :bleh:

Nensura
4th May 2012, 00:14
after much searching i ended up buying this one http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/helmets-clothing-footwear/armour/auction-472393860.htm

Hope i never have to test it though... =)!

Tigadee
4th May 2012, 08:39
That's a good one, with good coverage too.

steve_t
4th May 2012, 09:26
I'd probably recommend you look at something that's CE rated - Level 2 specifically if you're getting one to wear. Also, an important aspect is comfort. If it's not comfortable and you don't wear it, it's useless. The two top of the line ones seem to be Knox Aegis and Forcefield Sub4. The Forcefield has the most protection but it's really thick and may not fit under your jacket. The Knox Aegis is pretty comfortable and light and has decent scapula coverage. These top of the line ones are obviously more pricey. Good luck in your search

HenryDorsetCase
4th May 2012, 09:31
after much searching i ended up buying this one http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/helmets-clothing-footwear/armour/auction-472393860.htm

that was good buying I reckon. Dont forget to wear it though, eh? the day you dont is the day you'll need it.

I like mine because it suckes my gut and lower back in. Makes me look like how Homer Simpson sees himself in the mirror.

Muppet
4th May 2012, 15:47

Good on you, you can't have too much gear. When you come off (and you will) you'll know what I mean.