PDA

View Full Version : Why does everyone recommend Kiwibike Insurance?

superman
4th May 2012, 12:58
KiwiBike - $392 per annum (17.04% value of bike) $500 excess.
State - $245 (10.65%) 1st year $700 excess, 2nd onwards $450.

I asked KiwiBike why they were 60% more expensive than state because I'd heard such good things about them.

They replied with 'we write policies specific to motorcyclists "you get what you pay for"'. :confused:

brp
4th May 2012, 13:02
$240 3rd party fire and theft, will try state for quote next time - cheers

Kiwibike just the "organ grinder" underwritten by another insurance company - could be why they more

DEATH_INC.
4th May 2012, 13:03
Kiwibike insured me when others wouldn't. And they cover trackdays.
Good luck getting money out of state....

rustyrobot
4th May 2012, 13:07
Kiwibike are the broker, not the insurer. And they are right - you do get motorcycle specific insurance.

I don't know about you, but I haven't heard good things about State come claim time.

I had a really tricky claim after my chain ate my motorbike. Insurer (Protecta) initially said they wouldn't pay out as it was a 'mechanical failure'. So I was looking at a $7500 chain breakage. Dave at Kiwibike took it on, on my behalf, and after 8 very fraught weeks - I got a surprise email announcing a full payout on my bike. I really appreciated their service in that respect, and suppose that an insurer considers all the business Kiwibike bring them when deciding to honour or deny a claim.

No huge love for insurance companies, but was very thankful in my instance. I've reinsured through Kiwibike and happy to give them my continued support.

HenryDorsetCase
4th May 2012, 13:09
I wouldnt use State if they were the last fuckers on the planet. Thats based on my own very bad experience with them many years ago (used to be a customer, yo) and current experience dealing with a lot of our client complaints re earthquake.

It doesnt matter how cheap it is, AVOID.

Bassmatt
4th May 2012, 13:13
State have been a nightmare to deal with on occasion. I have been treated like a fucking criminal by them, the automatic assumption seems to be you must be defrauding them.

R6_kid
4th May 2012, 13:21
They cover trackdays, and riders with dubious histories, oh, and they actually pay out when you have an accident.

Unlike my friend who never got paid a cent for two accidents he had when 'insured' by State.

I guess the same would apply to why you bought a Ninja instead of a Roadwinner or something that was 60% cheaper... you get what you pay for.

Or, you could ask yourself "Why does no one recommend State?".

SMOKEU
4th May 2012, 13:53
NAC came out a bit cheaper than KB for me.

Mental Trousers
4th May 2012, 15:04
Wouldn't go near State for anything.

A couple of mates had insurance with them and they both had drops. Did the claim thing (which didn't go at all smoothly and took longer than it should've) but in the end they got their pay out. However, with the payout they also got a letter saying they would no longer be insured by State.

As always, you get what you pay for.

R6_kid
4th May 2012, 15:30
I think there was a thread on here about one guy who wrote of a bike, got paid out and had a replacement with in two weeks, and then wrote off the new bike on it's maiden ride, then got paid out again - I think he decided to give it a rest after that.

baffa
4th May 2012, 15:47
State arent the only company you hear horror stories about.

Whilst they would be second from the bottom in companies I'd recommend to people, I will say that most declined claims are the clients fault.
Eg, let their kid drive their bike/cage, dont tell the insurance company, get declined, rant about the company online.

I really like Kiwibike though, they give the sort of service larger companies simply cannot match. And they are all riders themselves. When I was sorting cover for the blade I spent 15 minutes chatting to a lovely wee lass who was in the process of sitting her license.

BoristheBiter
4th May 2012, 15:55
Well after over 20 years being insured with state, business and personal, I have never had any problem when it came to claim time, even when we had the wrong insurance they still paid out.

We changed last year to Star, the reason we changed was the track day and gear cover, State won't do full replacement on gear.

Now I crashed and state had it all sorted in under 2 weeks. The two from star have taken over a month just to sort out.

slofox
4th May 2012, 16:09
Boris' post not withstanding, I am another who wouldn't use State again.

I twice had claims that went tits up with them. The last one was over the theft of a camera from a school classroom - taken, along with other things, by someone who broke into the school in the middle of the night. State made it nearly impossible to claim, challenging everything I said, even though the B&E was reported to the LEO's and I got estimates of value etc etc as per State's instructions.

I decided never to use them again and haven't since.

Madness
4th May 2012, 16:24
I too wouldn't touch State Insurance with a preverbial barge pole, regardless of how much cheaper they are.

PirateJafa
4th May 2012, 16:31
In the past I have claimed against another rider who was insured with State. Ended up paying me close to double the value of the bike (even after me telling them exactly what I'd paid for it just a couple of months earlier), plus all my damaged gear and I kept my still-registered, still-WOF'd, still rideable "wreck" which is now my race bike. So that seems to make me the only person in the thread who hasn't had a issue with them. That said, I wasn't insured with them, I was merely claiming against them.

Only bike insurance company I've used personally has been Kiwibike though - it was a fair price for a learner rider, though I haven't been insured with them for years due to some ridiculously high quotes since I traded my supersport for a cheaper and much more durable motard.

DMCD
4th May 2012, 17:32
I've been with KiwiBiker for about four years all I can say is I was with PROTECTA before and KB is significantly better to deal with and cheaper.

matdaymon
4th May 2012, 17:45
I've found State all but useless and refuse to use them also. Back when I was a young cage driver I ensured with them because my parents were and they said I should. One claim took 2 months after said cage was broken in to and had all the contents nicked but I did get paid out for everything. But after al the times they merged my account under my parents without telling us then getting pissy because they couldnt find the money I had on direct debit to them I decided never again. Sold the cage for a supercage (Subaru Forester Turbo) and have been with NAC ever since who have paid out claims within a week and gave me a good price on the Hyo when I started riding.
Can't remember the clause they have on gear but I bet it's sure as shit better than those ripoff artists at state!!

Bassmatt
4th May 2012, 17:48
I had State re start an automatic payment on a cancelled policy for a car I had sold 12 months previously. Fucking thieves.

Gremlin
4th May 2012, 17:49
coz they good buggers :yes:

cheshirecat
4th May 2012, 18:25
Anyone got experienceswith AMI. Been with them for years but haven't claimed. Should I change?

Madness
4th May 2012, 18:32
Anyone got experiences with AMI. Been with them for years but haven't claimed. Should I change?
We had a recent claim when her indoors experienced some road rage and ran up the back of a BMW X5, she's a fiery bitch when she get pissed off. AMI were hassle free and a pleasure to deal with. We did a bit of shopping around a while back to see if we could save on premiums too and there weren't any beter deals for the same cover at that time.

Wait, are you worried they're no good seeing as you haven't made a claim?

cheshirecat
4th May 2012, 18:38
We had a recent claim when her indoors experienced some road rage and ran up the back of a BMW X5, she's a fiery bitch when she get pissed off. AMI were hassle free and a pleasure to deal with. We did a bit of shopping around a while back to see if we could save on premiums too and there weren't any beter deals for the same cover at that time.

Wait, are you worried they're no good seeing as you haven't made a claim?
ta for that. Just that because of not claiming haven't had the pleasure of their service first hand. ie claim is not a good time to find out the hassles.

Road kill
4th May 2012, 18:39
I don't mind paying a higher premium if I know I'll get what I'm paying for.
State on the other hand are a bunch of lying thieving scumbags.
I had one dealing with those pricks and as a result I ended up dropping all their cover on everything I had with them.
FUCK state insurance.

Nzpure
4th May 2012, 18:51
I was with state, Had 2 claims. 1. I was 4wdin down the waimak saw a bloke who had got stuck pulled him out he kept reversing and smashed the front of my truck gave me a fake name an number and did a runner. I being one who isn't silly grabbed his reg number. had folded the front up badly, viscous fan went ""peekaboo" thro my radiator and it pushed the front gaurd panels all 4 doors and the tail/roof panel back out of alignment and broke most of the mounts. Rang state they tracked the guy down and i got my truck completely fixed. All of this took about 2-2 1/2 weeks.
2. Stopped at a stop sign bus thought i wasn't going to stop and hit the back of me. destroyed the rear door. Got that fixed in roughly the same time.
With my cage State were brilliant. No troubles cheapest i could find brilliant customer service. Bikes however they were wankers, told me that because i was on my learners i could only insure a bike up to 110cc. Tried again on my restricted same story because i had been riding for such a short amount of time. Rang them up with the busa and the harley they nigh hang up on me there and then.
Kiwibike insured my hyo for pittence and my cb250 for even less. Even insured my harley while i was on my restricted (provided i didn't ride it) and currently pay like $400 a year for the busa and like 280 for the harley both full comprehensive insurance. Both with 2.5k gear cover and extra $500 for my helmet. 400 excess.

Kiwibike trumps all in my opinion but state isn't a bad insurance company just tinny as all buggery.

St_Gabriel
4th May 2012, 19:04
+1 FOR State bike insurance, seems like I am in the minority though.

caspernz
4th May 2012, 19:11
State for bike insurance :facepalm: been there and done that...never again!

My bike is with Kiwibike insurance, no I haven't had to make a claim, but getting cover for training days is never a hassle. Good crew to deal with.

House/contents/car is with AMI. Have been with them for years, had the odd car claim when we lived in Auckland. No hassle, ever.

darkwolf
4th May 2012, 19:11
I've had two claims with State Insurance. The first was when my car got broken into and my radar detector stolen. I had informed them of the radar detector prior to the break-in but was told that because I hadn't notified them, they wouldn't accept the claim. I couldn't find any correspondence - as I'd called to notify them and had never received a policy document - to say that I had. I continued to argue with them and was eventually told that it was a contents insurance claim not something I could claim in my motor vehicle policy. I had contents insurance with them as well but on both policies I was referred to the other policy and was even accused of making a false claim because I was claiming twice! Eventually they declined my claim on both policies but this took about 8 weeks.

The second time, I had my phone stolen from inside my house. I had bought the phone no more than 3 months prior to the loss for $1,500. State tried to offer cover for a $180 phone and told me I may as well not make the claim as the new phone was worth less than my excess. I eventually managed to reach settlement with them, they wouldn't replace the phone as they were unable to find it with one of there suppliers, and even though I could find the phone for them they refused to pay for the phone. Settlement was just over $500 once the excess had been deducted.

In both cases, I now know that I had way more rights than they lead me to believe, but I was too young and naive to know how to do anything better.

I wouldn't like to use State again. I'd be constantly concerned that I was pissing my money against a wall.

EJK
4th May 2012, 19:12
Can't compare with other insurance companies but I found KiwiBike easy to deal with. 5 Minutes on the phone was all it took.

Ruahine
4th May 2012, 19:12
NAC came out a bit cheaper than KB for me.

Yeah NAC were cheaper than KB for me.

The quote from State was the most expensive out of the companies I tried.

geoffm
4th May 2012, 19:46
You may as well be uninsured than be with State - it will be exactly the same if you are so brazen as to try and lodge a claim. My wife was with State when her car got totaled in a straight foward prang shortly after we met. Took 8 weeks to get sorted, with her mother going in daily to bang on the desk. Combined with other experiences, I would never recmmend them. They are all art of the IAG group, along wiht many other insurance companies - badge engineering at it's finest.
Kiwibike have been good for me, on 2 calims and quickly sorted out. I htink it was Protecta or Star as the ins co.

We were with AMI for years (and still are for the house). Been good with claims, but a lot more expensive for the bikes than KB

vifferman
4th May 2012, 20:21
I'd been with State for a very long time (since 1973-ish) and we had all our insurances with them. After years and years, I realised they didn't value the fact we'd had house, contents, cars (3) and bike insurance with them for many years and had no sort of loyalty discounts or whatever. So, we switched to AMI. After a while with them, I realised that though they were generally good, they didn't particuarly like insuring bikes, so I switched to KiwiBike a few years ago, and I'm quite contented. I get a discount for being older, storing the bike in a gargre with alarm when it's at home, and another for low annual mileage. Plus I get track-day coverage (not yet used), breakdown coverage, gear cover, and can tell them what I reckon my bike should be worth (no extra added to the premium). Oh - and I'm paying a lot less than at AMI or State.

banditrider
4th May 2012, 20:45
The only issue I've had with State was when I was hit by an uninsured driver. They suggested I take him to court. I suggested that the changes to their third party policy made it their problem - they paid up straight away. No similar issues on later claims both car & bike.

Know your policy and if you're in the right stand your ground. It's their job to fine a reason not to pay up...

MrKiwi
4th May 2012, 21:22
Kiwibike insured me when others wouldn't. And they cover trackdays.
Good luck getting money out of state....

Have you had trouble getting money out of State or is this by reputation? I've always insured through State and never had problems, since 1982. About 18 months ago I managed to drop my bike while on tour. My riding friends were surprised when all it took to get it sorted was one phone call. No forms to fill out. They shipped the bike home and then finally assessed it would cost more to fix than write it off so it got written off. They paid up straight away. Having said this I'm not sure they are necessarily the cheapest to insure with but since I have a 60% discount (or had) I haven't actually got around to changing insurer and I like the service I've had from them to date. I get a discount for storing the bike in the garage, for an alarm and for loyalty.

Tigadee
4th May 2012, 21:23
Kiwibike switched my policy for my Yamaha Zeal 250 to my Yamaha XJ400 without fuss and even maintained the same premium even though it was a bigger bike.

BoristheBiter
4th May 2012, 21:48
The second time, I had my phone stolen from inside my house. I had bought the phone no more than 3 months prior to the loss for $1,500. State tried to offer cover for a $180 phone and told me I may as well not make the claim as the new phone was worth less than my excess. I eventually managed to reach settlement with them, they wouldn't replace the phone as they were unable to find it with one of there suppliers, and even though I could find the phone for them they refused to pay for the phone. Settlement was just over $500 once the excess had been deducted.

In both cases, I now know that I had way more rights than they lead me to believe, but I was too young and naive to know how to do anything better.

I wouldn't like to use State again. I'd be constantly concerned that I was pissing my money against a wall.

we broke our stereo, an old one but a good one.
as they don't make it anymore, was over 10 years old, they offered us a replacement one. We didn't like it so we showed them the one we wanted and they said fine even though it was worth more.

You have to know what policy you are paying for as we get replacement value and not current value or purchase price.
most other company's only pay current value.

davebullet
4th May 2012, 22:07
most impressed with dave and his team at kiwibike. prompt with a quote / service - better that state - switchover will occur monday. Said that backup any claims needed.

davebullet
4th May 2012, 22:11
PS: currently with state and they paid out for my off last year - one phone call, assessed within 2 days and all sorted. great service, but way way way overpriced. maybe you get what you pay for?

Flip
4th May 2012, 22:54
I had a run in with a very nasty bitch at AMI a few years ago. I would not poke them with a pointed stick.

I have two houses and the wifes car with State and never had a problem, even after the canterbury earthquake. The bikes are with John Baker with the Ulysses MCC policy. Three cars are with Classic cover and one is with Roughton Nelson with the MGCC policy.

I got knocked off the harley recently and John Baker were brillant. Collected the bike and tookit to the Harley shop.I got it back after only 2 weeks all fixed up. It helped that the other driver was charged with careless.

GrayWolf
5th May 2012, 11:07
I've been insured with NZI (only accepted on a bike under 750 and all other insurances with them)
AMI directly and through the my AA membership << which sems to get a bit better service?
State, overpriced IMO, and very difficult to get the real value of an item out of. We made a claim on a rental that had been damaged by a tennant... you pay a 'landlord's premium' and it is a complete rip off.... "sorry the tenant is legally in the property so the damage is 'misuse' so uninsured. Howevr had they burnt the house down, or 'blown it up' we would then cover you" Thanks very much.

Now with Kiwibike, for both bike and 'er indoor's" can am... havent claimed yet, and dont want to.. but it's nice to talk to people who are bike savvy. Price wise... I found KB to be competitive, but then once you become an 'over 50 old bastard' most things are cheaper.... apart from healthcare

Conquiztador
5th May 2012, 14:46
Kiwibike are the broker, not the insurer. And they are right - you do get motorcycle specific insurance.

I don't know about you, but I haven't heard good things about State come claim time.

I had a really tricky claim after my chain ate my motorbike. Insurer (Protecta) initially said they wouldn't pay out as it was a 'mechanical failure'. So I was looking at a $7500 chain breakage. Dave at Kiwibike took it on, on my behalf, and after 8 very fraught weeks - I got a surprise email announcing a full payout on my bike. I really appreciated their service in that respect, and suppose that an insurer considers all the business Kiwibike bring them when deciding to honour or deny a claim.

No huge love for insurance companies, but was very thankful in my instance. I've reinsured through Kiwibike and happy to give them my continued support.

Two words: Shaft drive

avgas
5th May 2012, 15:54
Never had an issue with 3rd party state. But if I had the coin I would get full cover from someone else.
Misses just pranged her car, her fault, state paid out no questions asked. Which amazed me.

What pisses me off about states 3rd party was way back in 99 it used to be $20 for a bike, then it got bumped up to $85.......now its $240!

I had issues with IAG in the past. They accused me of being in fault.......while I was in hospital due to THEIR customer. Told them to fuck off and talk to their client, to ask him why the police have charged him with dangerous driving causing harm.
That shut them the fuck up.

BoristheBiter
5th May 2012, 16:17
Never had an issue with 3rd party state. But if I had the coin I would get full cover from someone else.
Misses just pranged her car, her fault, state paid out no questions asked. Which amazed me.

What pisses me off about states 3rd party was way back in 99 it used to be $20 for a bike, then it got bumped up to $85.......now its $240!

I had issues with IAG in the past. They accused me of being in fault.......while I was in hospital due to THEIR customer. Told them to fuck off and talk to their client, to ask him why the police have charged him with dangerous driving causing harm.
That shut them the fuck up.

with full comp you would never have that problem no matter who is at fault they pay out.

DEATH_INC.
5th May 2012, 18:23
Have you had trouble getting money out of State or is this by reputation? .

They wouldn't even look at insuring me. I have had mates that were with state, can't think of any now. I also deal with a lot of panelbeaters through work, a lot of them will not accept state work anymore as they don't allow enough for a proper repair job.
But, pay cheap, get cheap.
Good luck.

avgas
5th May 2012, 19:06
with full comp you would never have that problem no matter who is at fault they pay out.
At 5 years of premium I could also replace the bike, so kept it at 3rd party (incase I had a whoopsie). Was a $2000 GB400 - so effectively a toy more than my sole mode of transport.

Wasn't really to concerned with the fact of getting the money out. 3rd party would cover the payout if he wasn't insured anyway. Just did not like being accosted in hospital - when their customer was the one charged by police.

James Deuce
5th May 2012, 19:16
The very best insurance company for motorcyclists in NZ is Harley Davidson Insurance. Amongst the huge number of hidden benefits in buying a Motor Company product is the community of services and products that orbit the brand. Make all the jokes you want about backless chaps, if a series of fuckups happens, and you're insured with HD, they will look after you like family. They treat you and your family members with respect and they offer services that they aren't obliged to.

My next brand new or near-new bike will probably reflect that. Some years hence most likely.

BoristheBiter
5th May 2012, 23:14
At 5 years of premium I could also replace the bike, so kept it at 3rd party (incase I had a whoopsie). Was a $2000 GB400 - so effectively a toy more than my sole mode of transport.

Wasn't really to concerned with the fact of getting the money out. 3rd party would cover the payout if he wasn't insured anyway. Just did not like being accosted in hospital - when their customer was the one charged by police.

Funny that, I used to think the same until I hit a Porsche $4500 and all i did was hit the head light.

Marmoot
6th May 2012, 16:18
Yeah NAC were cheaper than KB for me.

NAC is cheaper than KB, and NAC's claim process was very good for me (yes, unfortunately I had the pleasure of experiencing that more than once).

But NAC would not provide any cover for any trackdays, including any open testing days and organised trackdays (kiwi trackdays, motoTT, anything).

sels1
7th May 2012, 08:18
Anyone got experienceswith AMI. Been with them for years but haven't claimed. Should I change?

I've got house/contents/2 cars with them and they have been very good to deal with. We have had hit by others twice in the cars and had a couple of windscreens done, never a problem.
Their bike insurance was too expensive though, so I went with Kiwibike who offered a better deal at the time, and have been with them ever since. (Although I am yet to test them with a claim)
When riding thru N.P. one time I called into their office to check them out - nice bunch - sat and had a chat with Dave, a most discerning gent...he rides a Trumpy too. :)