PDA

View Full Version : Can someone please test ride a Ducati for me in Wellington for a box of beer?

jasonzc
6th May 2012, 21:58
Was looking at buying/trading in for a Ducati ST3 at Motomart near welly, the only prob is that I live in Aucks..

From what i heard, the bike is a fresh import from Jap, and im not yet 100% confident on committing before flying/riding down.
There was a few main things for this bike I would like to check if i was down there myself..

Starts easily
False neutral between 4th and 5th?
Surging at constant throttle
brakes
Oil Leaks? (doubt that there will be any though)

A box of beer (or enough $$ for a box of beer) if anyone can help me out :drinknsin

Thanks in advanced if anyone is keen! :not:

haydes55
6th May 2012, 22:36
A box of beer (or enough $$ for a box of beer) if anyone can help me out :drinknsin

Getting paid a box of beer to ride a ducati! sounds like a bloody good deal to me! Pity I'm in Hamilton... And on my restricted license haha. Don't think you'll struggle to find a volunteer. :cool:

BoristheBiter
7th May 2012, 07:42
Was looking at buying/trading in for a Ducati ST3 at Motomart near welly, the only prob is that I live in Aucks..

From what i heard, the bike is a fresh import from Jap, and im not yet 100% confident on committing before flying/riding down.
There was a few main things for this bike I would like to check if i was down there myself..

Starts easily
brakes

Can I test ride the beer for a Ducati?

GrayWolf
7th May 2012, 22:00

Starts easily
brakes

If no one else you'd prefer to test it 'turns up, I will, I live not far away from them. However I am not knowledgeable on Duc's, so apart from what you are asking about, I would'nt know any other specific possible faults to the bike.

DrunkenMistake
7th May 2012, 22:03
If you decide to buy it, send it down here and I will ride it back for you.. :shifty:

cheshirecat
8th May 2012, 11:09
I commute past there Thur and Frid so I can check it out. don't bother about the beer unless its warm and flat like a Youngs.
Got my VFR from them and is unlikely they will sell you a dodgy bike.

jim.cox
8th May 2012, 12:05
looking at buying/trading in for a Ducati ST3

Dont mean to rain on your parade, but why the ST3 ?

The three valve head is an orphan in the Ducati line - built for only a couple of years and with its own special parts.

Long term an ST2 or ST4 would be a better choice - well at least in my opinion...

jasonzc
8th May 2012, 18:32
I commute past there Thur and Frid so I can check it out. don't bother about the beer unless its warm and flat like a Youngs.
Got my VFR from them and is unlikely they will sell you a dodgy bike.

If its not too out of your way, it would be much appreciated!

jasonzc
8th May 2012, 18:35
Dont mean to rain on your parade, but why the ST3 ?

The three valve head is an orphan in the Ducati line - built for only a couple of years and with its own special parts.

Long term an ST2 or ST4 would be a better choice - well at least in my opinion...

Thats more than a fair comment, but the thing is i cant stand the headlights of either the ST2/4.

I was looking at a VFR800 ealier, then i test rode a ST3.. for me the ST3's engine is perfect for my style of riding.. low down torque for the win!

cheshirecat
8th May 2012, 19:19
If its not too out of your way, it would be much appreciated!

Will do on this thur. Won't take it out on the rd if raining (which is forecast) cause of all the muck it will collect. Will pm you and take photos.
Is it The ST3 just to make sure I'm looking at the right Duc

Insanity_rules
8th May 2012, 20:50
Nice bike, agree that the 3 valve is a bit of an orphan but if you like it thats whats important. 99.99% of Ducatis between 90 and 2005 have that false neutral, infact all the ones I've owned have had more neutrals than Switzerland. They only really leak oil if they've been put back together wrong so about half the leaks are quite easily solveable. The other stuff indicates bad servicing.

Motomart is my usual shop and they are pretty good so I'd be surprised if it had anything serious wrong with it. Let us know how you get on.

Winston001
8th May 2012, 21:09
While I prefer the ST4 with the 916 engine, the ST3 does have good reviews. And less valves to shim.

jim.cox
9th May 2012, 13:06
Thats more than a fair comment, but the thing is i cant stand the headlights of either the ST2/4.

I was looking at a VFR800 ealier, then i test rode a ST3.. for me the ST3's engine is perfect for my style of riding.. low down torque for the win!

But the ST2 and ST4 share the same headlight as the ST3 :huh:

There are two types, the smaller more rounded one from the early series - pre ST3 - which I assume is the one with which you have "aesthetic issues"

This was changed to a larger more angular one when the ST3 arrived in 2004.

But this light went across all three bikes in ST range.

I do know what you mean about the torque - that's one of the big things I love about my Ducati

Bytor
9th May 2012, 13:40
Haldanes in Penrose have an ST3 as well as an ST2 and ST4...could save you a trip to Welly

jasonzc
9th May 2012, 21:10
Haldanes in Penrose have an ST3 as well as an ST2 and ST4...could save you a trip to Welly

Unfortunate its one of them sale on behalf, and owner not willing to budge on price.

Did not know that ST4 changed the front end! However the only models on sale these days is pre face lift :(

I have had a few messages vouching for motomart so quite confident now! Hopefully the sale of my current bike doesn't fall through..

jasonzc
10th May 2012, 18:41
A BIG thanks to chesirecat for checking out the bike for me! What a legend!

Will let you guys know how i get along!