PDA

View Full Version : What would you pay for an R1?

Brett
7th May 2012, 13:56
This (http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/sports/auction-471109302.htm) is certainly one of the tastier (IMO) R1's on the net at the moment...(owner a member here??) and I am quite interested, however even as nicely accessorised as it is, you can get a new one for less than he is asking. Is the claimed $10k of extra goodies worth paying more for a 2009 bike with 15,000kms on it than what one could get a brand new bike for...I am unsure.

opinions?

Crasherfromwayback
7th May 2012, 14:02
No really to my taste, but it's a nice enough bike. Be doing well to get 23k for it though I would imagine.

Still...if someone sees it and falls head over heals for it, you never know.

7th May 2012, 14:04
Personally I'd get this one

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/149523-All-Black-R1?p=1130317624#post1130317624

And i am not associated in any way with the seller.

flyingcrocodile46
7th May 2012, 14:06
This (http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/sports/auction-471109302.htm) is certainly one of the tastier (IMO) R1's on the net at the moment...(owner a member here??) and I am quite interested, however even as nicely accessorised as it is, you can get a new one for less than he is asking. Is the claimed $10k of extra goodies worth paying more for a 2009 bike with 15,000kms on it than what one could get a brand new bike for...I am unsure.

opinions?

You would have to want that exact bike (aftermarket parts combo) to get close to justifying that sort of money imo. Otherwise low twenties.

Crasherfromwayback
7th May 2012, 14:10
I've got a 3000km old Rossi Rep with trick levers and mufflers here I'd sell for 19k.

nodrog
7th May 2012, 14:15
$13.5k

Brett
Personally I'd get this one

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/149523-All-Black-R1?p=1130317624#post1130317624

And i am not associated in any way with the seller.

I saw that one...also a good option.

carburator
is a 08 R1, stock standard with just over 5000kms on the clock..
15k firm and bling it from there..

Brett
7th May 2012, 14:17
I've got a 3000km old Rossi Rep with trick levers and mufflers here I'd sell for 19k.

I'm not really a big fan of 'rep' coloured bikes, I am pretty boring...black, black or black!

Crasherfromwayback
7th May 2012, 14:33
I am pretty boring...black, black or black!

Nothing boring about that taste!

jim.cox
7th May 2012, 14:38
opinions?

Way too many km's for those $$$

The other bikes mentioned here seem like a better deal to me

But then I am a skint family man with scottish whakapapa

White trash
7th May 2012, 14:46
Too much gaudy gold shit on that one Brett. It's pretty tasteless IMO, just find something gold and chuck it at it sort of thing.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/sports/auction-468918726.htm

The above one is far more tastefully done and realistic in its price.

Timmeh:P
7th May 2012, 14:51
Saw the bike at Taupo Track MotoTT. Was drooling over it... Very nice bike indeed, not sure it is worth that however.

Crasherfromwayback
7th May 2012, 14:52
Too much gaudy gold shit on that one Brett. It's pretty tasteless IMO, just find something gold and chuck it at it sort of thing.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/sports/auction-468918726.htm

Sorry mate. That red frame screams out "I want it in the botty. And quick smart!!!"

Fuggin Poofta.

R6_kid
7th May 2012, 14:56
Don't pay more than $16.5k Brett. If it's got pipes then sweet. They are down to around 65% of new value over here, for an 09 model with pipes and some other bling, less than 10,000km.

EJK
7th May 2012, 15:14
Dude, get a Honda.

HenryDorsetCase
7th May 2012, 15:20

opinions?

he is dreaming. He'd be better off putting it back to stock and selling the fruit separately.

Thats what Ive ended up doing for my last few as well. basically buyers wil give you the same money for any secondhand one, and expect you to chuck in the fruit for free. Since the suspension work is $2500 to $3k worth, they can get fucked. Thats the only extra I would actually pay for. Maybe some BST wheels (or Dymags or OZ Racing) too. but fake carbon fibre lever covers? not so much (I realise this bike doesnt have those, just making a point)

Brett
7th May 2012, 15:53

I hear you Jimmy...I looked at that one...but don't really dig the red frame and swing arm, could strip it down and get it powdercoated/painted black...I do like that colour scheme.

Brett
7th May 2012, 15:55
Don't pay more than $16.5k Brett. If it's got pipes then sweet. They are down to around 65% of new value over here, for an 09 model with pipes and some other bling, less than 10,000km.

Yeah, that was my gut feeling too. Pipes, unless they are the full system, don't count for much either since pretty much every new R1 came with a free set of GYTR slip ons.

mossy1200
7th May 2012, 17:54
Nothing is worth more than the amount someone will pay unless its worth more to the seller who will retain the bike and make no sale.

Im thinking hes asking 4k more than a buyer would pay. Im not sure a dealer would ask that much. Idd say a dealer would trade at 14 try sell its for 17

Wife says "Bike must sell." Husband says "Sure its on the market love."

MT-01 for sale. One lady owner with some blingy bits. Wanted $37,000 will consider offers over $15,000

Maha
7th May 2012, 17:57

opinions?

Not your decision to add the extras..it was the owners.
By doing so, the only value increase is in the owners mind.

tigertim20
7th May 2012, 18:24
if i was paying more for a second hand bike than what it cost new just because it was modded, Id be looking overseas to get more bang for my buck.
I dont think its worth that, high teens maybe. They were selling them over year ago for 22k with pipes etc anyway.

If youd spent that much extra on a 2 yr old bike, youd think theyd take it with them.

rossirep
7th May 2012, 18:28

ya dreaming.. ya got a 12-13g bike if ya wanna sell it private.. ya would never ever get 15 for it. unless you were selling it thru a shop

rossirep
7th May 2012, 18:32

opinions?

he wanted $25 for it a few weeks ago, its a sick looking bike thats for sure but is only worth 16-18 on a good day.

when for $24,000 you could get a brand new 2012 R1 with all the trick bits on it standard..

Brett
7th May 2012, 19:53
he wanted $25 for it a few weeks ago, its a sick looking bike thats for sure but is only worth 16-18 on a good day.

when for $24,000 you could get a brand new 2012 R1 with all the trick bits on it standard..

Yeah...plus 2012 bike comes with ABS and traction control!

GrayWolf
7th May 2012, 21:31

opinions?

Brett
different 'style' of bike I know, But it IS a buyers market more than sellers right now, hence so many good deals and low prices on even new bikes.
My bike 2+ yrs old, 27k new, 13k km's.. Ohlins suspension after market and both ends modified and set up by CKT was on sale for 18k last december, cash price 15.6k... And these are not a 'common model'. The mods done by the PO were for his own benefit, it's the same as when people fit a 20k new kitchen in a house and think it just improved the house value by 20k, nope just makes it 'more saleable'.... those mods on the bike may attract a certain customer (you) so really are you prepared to pay over the top for it? Or buy another at less and do it yourself?

8th May 2012, 14:43
MT-01 for sale. One lady owner with some blingy bits. Wanted $37,000 will consider offers over $15,000

You're fucking dreamin' mate :rolleyes:

The Pastor
8th May 2012, 15:39
I like it. What the owner should do, is put it all back to stock and sell the blingy bits. Might get close to 20k if he dose it that way, but i doubt it

GrayWolf
8th May 2012, 15:45
Nothing is worth more than the amount someone will pay unless its worth more to the seller who will retain the bike and make no sale.

Im thinking hes asking 4k more than a buyer would pay. Im not sure a dealer would ask that much. Idd say a dealer would trade at 14 try sell its for 17

Wife says "Bike must sell." Husband says "Sure its on the market love."
Wife for sale, with some blingy bits carefully run in and 'home serviced' by one kiwi bloke owner. Wanted $37,000 will consider offers over $15.00 Or will exchange for set of bike stands, or W.H.Y.

there fixed for ya.

Haggis2
8th May 2012, 15:50
Nothing boring about that taste!

Black is the new black! :Punk:

Crasherfromwayback
8th May 2012, 16:04
Black is the new black! :Punk:

Always has been!

mossy1200
8th May 2012, 17:57
there fixed for ya.

Nah wife not for sale. Free to a good home(no returns accepted).

mossy1200
8th May 2012, 18:00
You're fucking dreamin' mate :rolleyes:

Thats an awesome deal. I could run a deal on the trailer also with it plus a free pass to the movies and 15cents per litre off your next tank of gas(offer excludes all service stations except pakNsave.

carbonhed
8th May 2012, 18:35
All the cool stuff on that bike was put there by the previous owner... all the gold tat is down to Ali G. Does sound great though.

Get one of these.

http://ashonbikes.com/sites/default/files/ash_images/articles/111126/Honda_Fireblade12_22.jpg

Not that I'm biased or anything.

AllanB
8th May 2012, 19:21
I like to mod my bikes. But I Keep a box of all the stock parts I removed or replaced to place back on it when selling. You never get your $ back in goodies and are better selling them seperately on Trademe.

Not a shit-show of selling it at that price.

AngryChicken
8th May 2012, 19:37
Hi Brett, I am the owner of the R1 you are referring to. I have not been a member on this forum until now, but a mate mentioned that there was some discussion happening, so I took a read and thought I would provide a reply. Rather than respond to all the 'interesting comments' made, I will just make a few points. 1) There is genuinely $10,000 of extras on the bike and I have all the receipts to prove it. 2) This bike was decked out to my liking and not intended to please the masses. Some like it some don't, and that is just the way it is. 3) I am initially trying to sell the bike fully decked out, and whoever buys it as is, will do so simply because they like it as is, if they don't then obviously they won't buy it. 4) Price - At the last listing, the bike had a Start Reserve of $23,500 and with the latest listing I have lowered this slightly to $23,000. If you are seriously interested and want to negotiate dollars, then let me know. I am not unreasonable and would like to think we can reach a compromise. 5) Value - as with everything, this is in the eye of the beholder. For anyone who likes it as it is, and from my perspective, I think of it as getting a standard mint condition bike for $13,000 and then throwing $10,000 of goodies on top. Note that this assumes you could get mint 09 R1 for $13,000! 6) Second Hand vs New - obviously my current asking price is close to the price of an 2012 R1. But that is not really comparing apples with apples. Ultimately, you need to make the judgement call of what you value in a bike, and that is why I provided a comprehensive list of all the extras on my bike.

Happy hunting for your next bike, whatever that may be. Hope you get what you are after.

8th May 2012, 19:43
Thats an awesome deal. I could run a deal on the trailer also with it plus a free pass to the movies and 15cents per litre off your next tank of gas(offer excludes all service stations except pakNsave.

Whats the milage on the wife? :innocent:

rossirep
8th May 2012, 19:52
think of it as getting a standard mint condition bike for $13,000 and then throwing $10,000 of goodies on top. Note that this assumes you could get mint 09 R1 for $13,000! 6) Second Hand vs New - obviously my current asking price is close to the price of an 2012 R1. But that is not really comparing apples with apples. Ultimately, you need to make the judgement call of what you value in a bike, and that is why I provided a comprehensive list of all the extras on my bike.

more like a $13,000 2nd hand bike with $10,000 worth of trick 2nd hand bits on it now worth $4000 at the most, so what you really have there buddy is a $17,000 bike..

AngryChicken
8th May 2012, 20:11
think of it as getting a standard mint condition bike for $13,000 and then throwing $10,000 of goodies on top. Note that this assumes you could get mint 09 R1 for $13,000! 6) Second Hand vs New - obviously my current asking price is close to the price of an 2012 R1. But that is not really comparing apples with apples. Ultimately, you need to make the judgement call of what you value in a bike, and that is why I provided a comprehensive list of all the extras on my bike.

more like a $13,000 2nd hand bike with $10,000 worth of trick 2nd hand bits on it now worth $4000 at the most, so what you really have there buddy is a $17,000 bike..

Rossi - thanks for your Professional Valuation and your insightful maths. Please post a thread when you buy such a bike for that price! Alternatively, please list currently available 09 R1 for $13,000, I can't seem to find them anywhere on Trade Me or in a Dealers shop. Also, I'm curious to know where you find all those second hand bits that you mention. Are they on Trade Me or maybe eBay. You obviously know so much more than me, so please share your knowledge with this biker community.

rossirep
8th May 2012, 20:24
Rossi - thanks for your Professional Valuation and your insightful maths. Please post a thread when you buy such a bike for that price! Alternatively, please list currently available 09 R1 for $13,000, I can't seem to find them anywhere on Trade Me or in a Dealers shop. Also, I'm curious to know where you find all those second hand bits that you mention. Are they on Trade Me or maybe eBay. You obviously know so much more than me, so please share your knowledge with this biker community.

here ya go buddy.. close enough if you ask me. dont get me wrong you have a nice bike and im sure it goes well, but you dont have a $23,000 bike.

mossy1200
8th May 2012, 20:31
Whats the milage on the wife? :innocent:

High milage and makes alot of bad noises but still runs ok if you manage to get her warmed up.

AngryChicken
8th May 2012, 20:37

here ya go buddy.. close enough if you ask me. dont get me wrong you have a nice bike and im sure it goes well, but you dont have a $23,000 bike.

Yep... thats practically a mirror image buddy, and almost identical in every way with all the same number of extras and performance mods - I almost can't believe it! You're awesome buddy, thanks very much. You just gotta love people that value other peoples bikes and do so with blissful ignorance and professed market knowledge. Makes me giggle every time. Good on you buddy! Keep the chuckles coming. You're Awesome. Go Rossi!

mossy1200
8th May 2012, 20:40

Thats good value with some bling and change in your pocket for ohlins front and rear.
im in the 23k is 5k to much.
I bought a SP1 for $28,500 put on arrows and some bling plus a full castrol paint job.Sold it at 9k for $13,500.
Market value is what a buyer will pay to own the bike. Only 2 year bike other than a show bike that will fetch more than its new retail price is a very bling Hardly.

Trying to sell a bike and selling a bike are 2 different things.

rossirep
8th May 2012, 20:48
Yep... thats practically a mirror image buddy, and almost identical in every way with all the same number of extras and performance mods - I almost can't believe it! You're awesome buddy, thanks very much. You just gotta love people that value other peoples bikes and do so with blissful ignorance and professed market knowledge. Makes me giggle every time. Good on you buddy! Keep the chuckles coming. You're Awesome. Go Rossi!

funny thing is il be the one laughing when i watch your trade me auction drop in price from a dream land $23,000 price to real land someone mite buy ya bike price.. oh yeah and winter is here now so im sure there are heaps of people out there wanting to pay top dollar for ya bike.. hahaha, chump

AngryChicken
8th May 2012, 21:08
funny thing is il be the one laughing when i watch your trade me auction drop in price from a dream land $23,000 price to real land someone mite buy ya bike price.. oh yeah and winter is here now so im sure there are heaps of people out there wanting to pay top dollar for ya bike.. hahaha, chump

Awe, now now... come on buddy, lighten up. It's all in good fun. After all, it's not your fault that you feel the need to mascarade as a 'Professional Motorcycle Valuer'. But hey, God loves a trier. Good on you buddy. You're Awesome! Go Rossi.

Crasherfromwayback
8th May 2012, 21:17
[ 'Professional Motorcycle Valuer'. .

I do it as part of my job.

jrandom
8th May 2012, 21:25
Cars, motorbikes, bicycles... aftermarket parts never make a machine sell for more. Not by much, anyway. They make it more likely to sell, all other things being equal, but they don't increase the saleable value by anywhere near what they cost to fit.

Blinging a bike out is just money burned. Personally, I'm happy to do it, and lord knows I'll end up burning plenty that way on the Nightster, but I won't expect to get it back if I ever sell it. Motorcycles are there to turn money into awesomeness, not to be investments.

Mr Chicken should pop the thing up for a dollar reserve and let the invisible hand of Adam Smith resolve the argument.

jrandom
8th May 2012, 21:34
And, yeah. 3-year-old thou with 15K on the clock, gold bling bolted on everywhere and reasonably nutritious chicken strips... $16K would see it sold.

You just know the kind of guy who'll buy it will bin it immediately, too.

:sunny:

DMNTD
8th May 2012, 21:38

...and no doubt at that price it'll be staying in the barn :blink:

gatch
8th May 2012, 21:40
I'm certain I have seen it at manfield. In all it's gaudy glory.

It's worth $500. Because that is all I am willing to pay for it.

Muppet
8th May 2012, 21:59
And, yeah. 3-year-old thou with 15K on the clock, gold bling bolted on everywhere and reasonably nutritious chicken strips... $16K would see it sold.

You just know the kind of guy who'll buy it will bin it immediately, too.

:sunny:

Exactly, it's a 3 year old bike with 15k on the clock. Just because someone else (owner of the bike) thinks all the extras are worth something doesn't mean they are. Remember you have to think of the next buyer, are they going to want the bike with all that crass gold stuff all over it? And you sure as hell won't get $23,000 for it either-you'll lose half that. I bought a mint 2001 R1 with 10k on the clock for $12,000 and that was in 2003. Someone lost $12,000 in 2 years and it wasn't me! My bike buying criteria: Bike has to be mint, low km's (within reason) and a bargain.

GrayWolf
8th May 2012, 22:22
Hi Brett, I am the owner of the R1 you are referring to. I have not been a member on this forum until now, but a mate mentioned that there was some discussion happening, so I took a read and thought I would provide a reply. Rather than respond to all the 'interesting comments' made, I will just make a few points. 1) There is genuinely $10,000 of extras on the bike and I have all the receipts to prove it. 2) This bike was decked out to my liking and not intended to please the masses. Some like it some don't, and that is just the way it is. 3) I am initially trying to sell the bike fully decked out, and whoever buys it as is, will do so simply because they like it as is, if they don't then obviously they won't buy it. 4) Price - At the last listing, the bike had a Start Reserve of $23,500 and with the latest listing I have lowered this slightly to $23,000. If you are seriously interested and want to negotiate dollars, then let me know. I am not unreasonable and would like to think we can reach a compromise. 5) Value - as with everything, this is in the eye of the beholder. For anyone who likes it as it is, and from my perspective, I think of it as getting a standard mint condition bike for $13,000 and then throwing $10,000 of goodies on top. Note that this assumes you could get mint 09 R1 for $13,000! 6) Second Hand vs New - obviously my current asking price is close to the price of an 2012 R1. But that is not really comparing apples with apples. Ultimately, you need to make the judgement call of what you value in a bike, and that is why I provided a comprehensive list of all the extras on my bike.

Happy hunting for your next bike, whatever that may be. Hope you get what you are after.

Mate as I pointed out earlier, I bought a 2yr old bike 13k km's Ohlins suspension and modified set up at CKT racing, price new 27k without the suspension package,,, bought Dec last year for $15.6k. You can value the 'bling/mods as 10k's worth, and it may well have cost you that much... again as I pointed out, putting a $20000 kitchen in a house does not increase its value 20k, it makes it more 'saleable'... Heavily modified bikes, pipes, tuning, suspension etc? well you gotta have a set of pipes, forks and rear shock, brakes (if you replaced the calipers etc).... so in reality you either put the original bits back on, or? Accept that you have spent 10k modding it up, and accept the loss..... it is not a 23k bike in this current market... and I have no axe to grind either way about it, I can appreciate the extras and what it may do, but it isnt my kind of bike either.
However, good luck with the sale, and if it does fetch that amount? Then damn good for you!

Madness
8th May 2012, 22:24
[QUOTE=rossirep;1130320217][QUOTE=AngryChicken;1130320209]
[QUOTE=AngryChicken;1130320233][QUOTE=rossirep;1130320217]

I wish you two muppets would learn how to quote someone's post properly.

mossy1200
8th May 2012, 22:30
While we all say its worth not a penny more than 17k some tossa is prob sending baby batter onto his monitor and will splash out 23.5 for it.
Next week he will be on KB as a new member complaining about how State Insurance ripped him off and only paid 14k on his claim after flipping it.

:jerry:

Madness
8th May 2012, 22:33
Next week he will be on KB as a new member complaining about how State Insurance ripped him off and only paid 14k on his claim after flipping it being taken out at a training day.

Deja Voodoo!

Brett
8th May 2012, 23:42

Hey mate, thanks for taking the time to come on here and post, and welcome. Have added your comments to the thought list....at this stage, will be keeping your R1 on the Watchlist while I assess a few options. I can understand why you feel that is the 'value' of the bike, I felt that way about my previous ride! (Nothing worse than selling a bike ( or anything for that matter) and then regretting it because in ones own minds eye it was more valuable than the market dictated.

Enjoy the forums.

Brett
8th May 2012, 23:50
Exactly, it's a 3 year old bike with 15k on the clock. Just because someone else (owner of the bike) thinks all the extras are worth something doesn't mean they are. Remember you have to think of the next buyer, are they going to want the bike with all that crass gold stuff all over it? And you sure as hell won't get $23,000 for it either-you'll lose half that. I bought a mint 2001 R1 with 10k on the clock for $12,000 and that was in 2003. Someone lost $12,000 in 2 years and it wasn't me! My bike buying criteria: Bike has to be mint, low km's (within reason) and a bargain.

It's the "bits" on the bike (yoshi, ohlins, power commander, cosmetic bits to tidy up etc.) not so much the gold that I like...in fact everything gold would be powder coated or replaced with a black equivalent under my ownership.

numbersixteen16
9th May 2012, 00:23

I LOVE SARCASM!! (sarcasm intended)

Seriously now though, when modifying a vehicle, the value of the parts is halved - no argument.

DMNTD
9th May 2012, 06:19
Seriously now though, when modifying a vehicle, the value of the parts is halved - no argument.

Colleague of mine sold an '08 ZX10R new to a customer who then spent around $14k ($32k total) modifying and personalising it.
I bought it 2.5 years later when it had 12,400kms on it for our $10k valued ZX14 and $500 :eek: