PDA

View Full Version : Lost licence and want to move to AUS

dyls2991
8th May 2012, 16:22
I'm planning on going to Australia for long term however i have recently been disqualified on demerit points.

I however have not handed over my licence card yet, if i take this to Australia will i be disqualified there or does the NZ system not talk to Australia system?

Thank you

Dylan

davereid
8th May 2012, 16:28
I'm planning on going to Australia for long term however i have recently been disqualified on demerit points.

I however have not handed over my licence card yet, if i take this to Australia will i be disqualified there or does the NZ system not talk to Australia system?

Thank you

Dylan

You aren't disqualified if you haven't been served the disqualification notice by veda/baycorp, or the police. If you have been served, then you are disqualified.

NZTA sell driver licence details to Veda, Vodaphone, 2 degrees etc etc, so you would be brave to assume they wont sell them to an ozzie that asks.

DrunkenMistake
8th May 2012, 16:30
How does one lose their license on a 125?
I am impressed.

I suppose you could have done it in a car but meh.

G4L4XY
8th May 2012, 16:57
How does one lose their license on a 125?
I am impressed.

I suppose you could have done it in a car but meh.

I was thinking the exact same thing! Probably being pulled up for giong too slow!

The Singing Chef
8th May 2012, 17:19
You aren't disqualified if you haven't been served the disqualification notice by veda/baycorp, or the police. If you have been served, then you are disqualified.

NZTA sell driver licence details to Veda, Vodaphone, 2 degrees etc etc, so you would be brave to assume they wont sell them to an ozzie that asks.

Pretty sure that the disqual starts before that, not sure if it is when they are trying to serve you and you are conveniently not home though.
Have a look on the NZTA page for Disqual's, it will tell you there.

SMOKEU
8th May 2012, 17:21
Just move over to Aussie and claim ignorance if questioned.

FJRider
8th May 2012, 17:26
I was thinking the exact same thing! Probably being pulled up for giong too slow!

100 km's in a 50 km zone would get instant loss ... but about five, "20 km's over the limit" tickets would do it. Within a two year period ... easy as to do.

Some people are slow learners (if you excuse the pun) ... :shifty:

FJRider
8th May 2012, 17:30
Just move over to Aussie and claim ignorance if questioned.

And risk a "Driving while disqualified" charge over there ... great advice ... :stupid:

davereid
8th May 2012, 17:32
Pretty sure that the disqual starts before that, not sure if it is when they are trying to serve you and you are conveniently not home though.
Have a look on the NZTA page for Disqual's, it will tell you there.

You drive legally until served.

Of course if you are served by a policeman at a random stop 1000 km from home, it may be quite inconvenient.

tigertim20
8th May 2012, 17:45
You drive legally until served.

Of course if you are served by a policeman at a random stop 1000 km from home, it may be quite inconvenient.

correct. until you have been served a notice, you are not disqualified. the disqualification starts from the day you receive the notice.
Sometimes you can say 'I dont know where the card is' and not hand it over, be aware though, that doing this is now an offence - if you have been served the notice, but have retained your actual licence card, you are going to get stung if you get caught with it.

Id suggest ringing the australian licensing authority anonymously and discussing options with them.

a demerit loss is only three months though anyway

kevfromcoro
8th May 2012, 18:07
just been down that track.
iam in ozz now.... in order to get a QLD licence,, you have to sign a declartion the you are not cancelled in any other country...
you could bullshit then,, i spose..
but if you had an accident... or bad offence.. the would probably check
i didnt do it.. just keep walking.

dyls2991
9th May 2012, 08:46
Hey Guys thanks for the help :) was disqualifed for having no L plate on the bike 4 times didnt realise it came with demerits untill it was too late.

I am planning on moving before the disqulify is finish so that's why i was asking.

Cheers

Dylan

sil3nt
9th May 2012, 08:50
Hey Guys thanks for the help :) was disqualifed for having no L plate on the bike 4 times didnt realise it came with demerits untill it was too late.

I am planning on moving before the disqulify is finish so that's why i was asking.

Cheers

DylanHow hard is it to chuck an L plate on after the first time :blink:

Devil
9th May 2012, 09:21
Thank you for your consideration in leaving the country and raising the average IQ of both at the same time.

DODO``
9th May 2012, 11:41
My mate was in similar situation..
Short answer. Don't do it.

Diggers
11th May 2012, 13:24
Once you're served you're suspended. Your licence is invalid and will be taken off you next time you produce it to a cop. You have to apply for a "reinstatement" of your licence when your suspension ends. Your new licence will have diferent version number.

rastuscat
11th May 2012, 13:44
just been down that track.
iam in ozz now.... in order to get a QLD licence,, you have to sign a declartion the you are not cancelled in any other country...
you could bullshit then,, i spose..
but if you had an accident... or bad offence.. the would probably check
i didnt do it.. just keep walking.

Here's a tip........don't sign a false declaration. It's a greater offence than you might think, and could adversely effect your future visa applications.

kevfromcoro
12th May 2012, 07:57
Here's a tip........don't sign a false declaration. It's a greater offence than you might think, and could adversely effect your future visa applications.

true mate.. as soon as i saw the form i just walked out the door...
this is QLD.. not sure about other states....
but i wouldnt go signing and false statements...
computers have got us fukd...
so i would say..
just keep walking....

jrandom
12th May 2012, 08:33

I expect you find that breathing through your mouth gives you a dry throat, and that the scrapes on your knuckles caused by dragging them on the ground sting unpleasantly?

correct. until you have been served a notice, you are not disqualified. the disqualification starts from the day you receive the notice.

Bear in mind that there's a difference between suspension (due to demerit points) and disqualification.

Disqualification is a penalty for criminal offences (like DUI, or driving while suspended for demerits) and is imposed by a court.

I don't know whether that distinction is drawn during any international licence transfer procedures, though.

This won't happen unless you're intentionally obstructive. In my case, a man from NZTA politely telephoned and made an appointment at a time and place convenient for me to hand over the licence and begin my three months. (I bicycled to work that day and he popped by the office.)

As advice to the OP, just be straight up with everyone involved, and expect to do your three months walking / cycling / busing no matter where you go, plus whatever fucking-around time it takes to get your NZ licence back once you're already in Oz. (It'll probably just involve an airmail package over the ditch.)

Gremlin
12th May 2012, 15:47
In my case, a man from NZTA politely telephoned and made an appointment at a time and place convenient for me to hand over the licence and begin my three months. (I bicycled to work that day and he popped by the office.)
Don't count on that though. I had a lady try to catch me at home several times, refusing to take my number when offered by others. She finally rang and we made an appointment on a Monday evening at 8pm. She tried again on the Sunday and I was out working. We did the collection at the agreed time...