PDA

View Full Version : New little project

mossy1200
9th May 2012, 16:42
Got myself a cheap bike from tard me for $101.00
Havent collected yet and not even sure if it is repairable.
Maybe ill strip parts if it isnt and sell them

GSX550EF

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=470981990

Anyone have a stock of parts?

Any guess as to why no go. Wasnt very clear description in the auction. Take a punt at the reason for DOA.

The last old one i got ended up looking like pic2 but im not sure i can be bothered doing that again.

bogan
9th May 2012, 16:58
Any guess as to why no go. Wasnt very clear description in the auction. Take a punt at the reason for DOA.

Its a Suzuki?

For some reason, I'm thinking the top end, valves no longer seating properly.

mossy1200
9th May 2012, 16:59
Its a Suzuki?

For some reason, I'm thinking the top end, valves no longer seating properly.

Nice ill be hoping a stand switch LOL.

bogan
9th May 2012, 17:00
Nice ill be hoping a stand switch LOL.

Yeh, I guess it would be a good idea to check that sort of thing before taking the head off.

White trash
9th May 2012, 17:04
Dunno if they've got a sidestand switch.

Good luck finding parts locally, there's not much around from what I've seen.

FJRider
9th May 2012, 17:06
Fuel/Gas/Electrics are the initial three you check first. If all three arrive in the cylinder at the appropriate time ... it should go.

FIRST Steps ...

1. check the engine spins. (turned over by a starter motor is good, but a push in (top) gear will tell you)
2. With ignition on and power at the battery, does it give spark when/if turned over. (A short burst of easystart will confirm)
3. Ensure (fresh) fuel is getting to the carbs. (drain/clean/flush them first will help. And check Air filter is clean/clear)
4. A compression test to see if one (or more) cylinder is down is a good early test. Low compression wont help getting it to run.

A "no" at any of these stages determines next problem solving step of that stage.

mossy1200
9th May 2012, 17:07
Dunno if they've got a sidestand switch.

Good luck finding parts locally, there's not much around from what I've seen.

That could work well if its a easy fix im ok and if not ill strip it and sell parts.

unstuck
9th May 2012, 17:55
Good wee bikes, I went round NZ on one when I was a lad.Good score, If it just died on the motorway it could be anything, good luck with it.:niceone:

FJRider
9th May 2012, 18:30
I've heard of inline fuel filters and air filters blocking gradually to the stage ... they just stop.

mossy1200
9th May 2012, 18:38
I've heard of inline fuel filters and air filters blocking gradually to the stage ... they just stop.

Ill put my monies on relay or not charging.

FJRider
9th May 2012, 18:44
Ill put my monies on relay or not charging.

I'm betting not charging ... or CDI died.

tigertim20
9th May 2012, 19:17
Got myself a cheap bike from tard me for $101.00
Havent collected yet and not even sure if it is repairable.
Maybe ill strip parts if it isnt and sell them

GSX550EF

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=470981990

Anyone have a stock of parts?

The last old one i got ended up looking like pic2 but im not sure i can be bothered doing that again.

carbon build up in the valves, timing chain slipped, electrical gremlins, good luck!
remember everytime it fucks with your head, you need to go inside and have a beer, youll be looking for something complex when the issue is something small and stupid

mossy1200
12th May 2012, 11:41
Pick up tomorrow.
Owner has said no bad noises when it stopped. Still had battery charge at the time. maybe it will be a fuel or coil issue.
The good news is rego is on hold anyway so wont cost much to get it legal if I can get it going cheap.

Paul in NZ
12th May 2012, 12:42
Thats good buying... well done

mossy1200
13th May 2012, 11:45
Got the old girl home and battery on charge. Brakes are all good. Everything lights up while charger connected.

One thing not sure about is the rev counter goes up 500rpm when ignition on and at one point went to 2500rpm
Ideas????

mossy1200
13th May 2012, 17:49
Update
Found the starter motor was dead.
Removed alt cover,cam chain tensioner and oil lines to remove starter motor. Strip starter motor and it had some very poor handmade brushes inside. One wasnt contacting commutator at all and stuck. Reshaped brushes and cleaned up commutator. Refit and bingo turn over ok.
Has spark from both coils but battery wont take a charge so turned over from jumper leads. Wouldnt fire. Drained bowls and some bad petrol issues so will need clean carbs and replace petrol. Maybe tomorrow after work. im hoping charging system will be ok and may only need a new battery. Seems to have good compression and have started the descunge process. Im not sure that the last owner knew what maintance was. Seat cover is total loss so if i can get it running good will need a recover to resell it.

mossy1200
14th May 2012, 19:18
Bike all running but regulator/rectifier is dead so wont charge. Went for a we ride while battery part charged.

Im searching for reg/rec for gsx550es /esd / ef also the gsx750 5 wire ones fit. PM me please if you can help.

unstuck
14th May 2012, 19:25
Bike all running but regulator/rectifier is dead so wont charge. Went for a we ride while battery part charged.

Im searching for reg/rec for gsx550es /esd / ef also the gsx750 5 wire ones fit. PM me please if you can help.

A mate of mine in muriwai has my old one lying around in bits in his shed somewhere, I think, at least he did last time I was up there. I will e-mail him and find out for you.:msn-wink:

mossy1200
14th May 2012, 19:32
A mate of mine in muriwai has my old one lying around in bits in his shed somewhere, I think, at least he did last time I was up there. I will e-mail him and find out for you.:msn-wink:

Cool. A mate of mine in ChCh may also have one. Hes looking also. If everyone cleaned out there man caves there may be dozens of them around. SH590A-13 is the oem part number

White trash
14th May 2012, 19:59
Cool. A mate of mine in ChCh may also have one. Hes looking also. If everyone cleaned out there man caves there may be dozens of them around. SH590A-13 is the oem part number

That's not a Suzuki part number, probably the manufacturer part number.

Had a check in the shed and I don't have a spare reg/rec sorry mate.

mossy1200
14th May 2012, 20:37

Ok thanks for looking. Maybe thats a common aftermarket part number.

FJRider
14th May 2012, 20:49

Ummmm ... I found ths on E Bay ...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Regulator-Rectifier-Suzuki-Early-GS-GSX-5-Wires-SH590A-13-/320759341543

geoffm
14th May 2012, 21:07
Regulator/ rectifier is a well known Suzuki problem of this era - Suzuki must have employed some ex Lucas engineers...
There are aftermarket alternatives overseas -eg - http://www.regulatorrectifier.com/catalog/Suzuki-40 - about $US80. or http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/

I recall an artilce "back in the day" which used CX500 regs to fix them. Of course, they are somewhat harder to find now as well, and I don't think it was a plg and play swap.

mossy1200
14th May 2012, 21:32

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Regulator-Rectifier-Suzuki-Early-GS-GSX-5-Wires-SH590A-13-/320759341543

yes but thats a fair bit of nz coin. Im trying to keep total cost with 3 months rego and warrent at around $350 cause im a cheap bast..d

mossy1200
14th May 2012, 21:39
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Voltage-Rectifier-Regulator-for-Suzuki-GSXR-GSX-750-1000-1100-E-L-S-/150680050442?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item23153b1b0a&vxp=mtr

Thats cheapest so far 39usd including freight so $50-55 but 7 days to arrive. its not listed as gsx550es but i think only a few countries had 550s

nzspokes
14th May 2012, 21:39
Just run total loss, dump the stator etc. Just plug it in each night.

mossy1200
14th May 2012, 21:43

Im trying to sell the bike for profit spokes. That may not be a great selling point.

nzspokes
14th May 2012, 21:47
Im trying to sell the bike for profit spokes. That may not be a great selling point.

LOL, fair call.

FJRider
14th May 2012, 22:13
yes but thats a fair bit of nz coin. Im trying to keep total cost with 3 months rego and warrent at around $350 cause im a cheap bast..d

True ... but it does seem to be a Suzuki part number ... check a few wreckers ...

Madness
14th May 2012, 22:18
Any guess as to why no go.

Its a Suzuki?

That bogan's a clever cunt :msn-wink:

mossy1200
14th May 2012, 22:44
That bogan's a clever cunt :msn-wink:

Yeah. Question was why it wont go not why it wont ever go very well.

Have ordered regulator new($56nz including freight)
Seat cover ($71nz delivered)

Grr spent more on 2 parts than on buying the bike.

tigertim20
14th May 2012, 23:12

actually, thats a selling point. word the listing like this.

Modified Suzuki Electric bike.
Not like most electric bikes, this bike gives you the very real perception of a gasoline powered motorcycle, yet, like all electric bikes, in order to use it, you are required to plug it in before and after each use!
The best of both worlds!

Buy now, this unique bike wont last long!

Sorted.

mossy1200
15th May 2012, 06:45
Buy now, this unique bike wont last long!

Sorted.

:no::no::no:

Had battery on charge last night. Not in bike. Was 12volts last night but is only 10 volts this morning. Guess that no good also. CB10L A2 battery in Welly cheap for mossy anyone???? 140 by 140 by 90

White trash
15th May 2012, 08:37

Ummmm.....as I said, that's not a SUZUKI part number.

OE part number is 32800-43400, superceeded by 32800-43X00. What you have there is the reg/rect number.

FJRider
15th May 2012, 11:39
Ummmm.....as I said, that's not a SUZUKI part number.

OE part number is 32800-43400, superceeded by 32800-43X00. What you have there is the reg/rect number.

After reading the WHOLE page :innocent: ... I see it does state "Pattern part to meet OE specification" ... :not:

I guess this wasn't the first time it stopped. :laugh:

mossy1200
15th May 2012, 18:43
After reading the WHOLE page :innocent: ... I see it does state "Pattern part to meet OE specification" ... :not:

I guess this wasn't the first time it stopped. :laugh:

I put the battery on charge until bedtime last night. It was 12volts but still pulling current from the charger. This morning I tested it and it was only 10volts. Note battery isnt in the bike. I assume im needing a new battery or should I try getting more charge into it. It was still 10 volts after work. Is it possible I just hadnt got enough charge into it?

tigertim20
15th May 2012, 20:41
I put the battery on charge until bedtime last night. It was 12volts but still pulling current from the charger. This morning I tested it and it was only 10volts. Note battery isnt in the bike. I assume im needing a new battery or should I try getting more charge into it. It was still 10 volts after work. Is it possible I just hadnt got enough charge into it?

New battery.
shop around you should get somethig basic fairly cheap. take the existing one with you to match size and terminal position

mossy1200
15th May 2012, 21:18
New battery.
shop around you should get somethig basic fairly cheap. take the existing one with you to match size and terminal position

$94 delivered. Sealed unit tard me is cheepest so far that I can find.

FJRider
15th May 2012, 22:13
$94 delivered. Sealed unit tard me is cheepest so far that I can find.

Edbear imports them ... new at reasonable prices ...

But a few cheapies about.

FJRider
15th May 2012, 22:17

What have you got to lose if you continue charging ... ??? :laugh:

mossy1200
15th May 2012, 22:34
What have you got to lose if you continue charging ... ??? :laugh:

Yep its still on now and the battery charged colour light is changing brightness. Maybe my charger isnt a trickle changer but a battery emotional counsellor and it trying to convince my battery to be the best it can be.

mossy1200
16th May 2012, 07:22
Grr 10 volts again.:nono:

Macontour
16th May 2012, 07:41
Your battery is stuffed, thats for sure.

mossy1200
16th May 2012, 17:49
Your battery is stuffed, thats for sure.

Have ordered replacement $93.50

Tryhard
16th May 2012, 21:57
had similar issues on my gsx750es. RR was rooted but I have also found that stator has also gone. Got the cheapest I could of fleabay. Its coming from Finland! Had the bike a while. Its goes surprising well after full carb strip down and sync and valves done. Alas I will be upgrading in the future.

mossy1200
16th May 2012, 22:32
had similar issues on my gsx750es. RR was rooted but I have also found that stator has also gone. Got the cheapest I could of fleabay. Its coming from Finland! Had the bike a while. Its goes surprising well after full carb strip down and sync and valves done. Alas I will be upgrading in the future.

its the same r/r as your 750 fleebay was 39.95usd for replacement.
my stator is sending 4 volts across each yellow wire combo while running so I think its ok.

bogan
17th May 2012, 09:56
its the same r/r as your 750 fleebay was 39.95usd for replacement.
my stator is sending 4 volts accross each yellow wire combo while running so I think its ok.

4 volts? iirc it shoul be 20-50... Or is that with the r/r plugged in still?

mossy1200
17th May 2012, 19:14
4 volts? iirc it shoul be 20-50... Or is that with the r/r plugged in still?

The plug for the r/r and stator was in a semi state of burnt out so i removed it and temp wired into strip connectors before testing but due to the low battery voltage I only got a few minutes to test things before voltage was to low to run the bike(about 7 volts). i only tested while cables connected into r/r the 3 yellows were reading 4volts ac across y1/y2 y1/y3 y2/y3 and the red was reading 6 volts to neg. I think that may be correct.

New battery arrived today and stripped seat and rebuilt foam ready for new cover. got some gasket gu for alt cover but I wont do that till im sure its charging correctly.

bogan
17th May 2012, 21:42
Quick question, when you take the yellow wire reading, you have the multimeter set to AC right? 4v AC is not going to do it, you need at least 14V to put charge into the battery. To check it properly take the reg/rect out of the circuit, if your stator won't produce the voltage when unloaded, it's fucked.

ducatilover
17th May 2012, 22:44
:no::no::no:

Had battery on charge last night. Not in bike. Was 12volts last night but is only 10 volts this morning. Guess that no good also. CB10L A2 battery in Welly cheap for mossy anyone???? 140 by 140 by 90

Have ordered replacement $93.50

Shit I missed this, I have two or three CB12 and YT12 batteries that may be able to be saved.

If your stator is poo, I know just the chap to re-wind it :msn-wink:

mossy1200
17th May 2012, 23:23
Shit I missed this, I have two or three CB12 and YT12 batteries that may be able to be saved.

If your stator is poo, I know just the chap to re-wind it :msn-wink:

cb12 is to big for holder. Have new battery now.

mossy1200
17th May 2012, 23:28
Quick question, when you take the yellow wire reading, you have the multimeter set to AC right? 4v AC is not going to do it, you need at least 14V to put charge into the battery. To check it properly take the reg/rect out of the circuit, if your stator won't produce the voltage when unloaded, it's fucked.

the 4volts ac yellow cables is pre rectifier not after. Its a 4 wire stator rect/reg. The fact that all combos from the 3 yellow stator wires are all 4 volts ac seems to indicate a winding is not lost. Voltage to battery is zero because rec/reg has no output at all. When the new r/r arrives ill connect it and new battery before I bother ordering or rewinding the stator.

ducatilover
17th May 2012, 23:54
the 4volts ac yellow cables is pre rectifier not after. Its a 4 wire stator rect/reg. The fact that all combos from the 3 yellow stator wires are all 4 volts ac seems to indicate a winding is not lost. Voltage to battery is zero because rec/reg has no output at all.
Depends how it's wound

cb12 is to big for holder. Have new battery now.

Come on, get the hammer and saw out and pour ingenuity all over the beast.
Bloody neat bike for $100 mate

Tryhard
18th May 2012, 06:57
you should be getting 50-60volts ac from your stator at 5000rpm across all 3 y wires. check out.
http://www.thegsresources.com/garage/gs_statorfault.htm

not realy a statement. just tryin to help. Regards D

mossy1200
18th May 2012, 07:09
you should be getting 50-60volts ac from your stator at 5000rpm across all 3 y wires. check out.
http://www.thegsresources.com/garage/gs_statorfault.htm

not realy a statement. just tryin to help. Regards D

Thanks. I have done about half of those tests but now I have a good battery will be easier. I might need to recheck with my other meter also as the one I used is auto ranging dc/ac. Also its been dark outside with jumper leads hooked up to van. Ill retest with new battery tonight.
With the plug between stator and rr being damaged the first thing I did was connect via strip connectors which gave me terminals to test from that you wouldnt have when plug used so I tested while connected to rr. Due to the fact that under load and all the results across the three combos believe that stator should be ok. Will retest with them disconnected tonight in garage where I can see better.

mossy1200
18th May 2012, 16:06
New rr arrived today from hongKong and has been fitted. Runs good and charges 14.2 volts at idle so all good.
Thanks for the help alt does send 50 volts at just over 5k but only when rr is disconnected checked it before using crimp terminals to wire the rr as the plug socket was toasted. Im picking the socket died and took the rr out. It looked to be water damage or not fully plugged in, which started the issue.

Just waiting on new seat cover now. Alternator gasket done. i cant see anything that will fail warrent. chain is getting worn if i can get one cheap ill fit a new one. tard me had one for $45 but I missed auction end so have asked him to relist or offer it.

Looks like $490 all up or $540 with new chain including warrent and 3months rego. Maybe I should ride it for a while. Motor sounds good and doesnt smoak. record seem to show milage is 44000 km as per the clock unless someone did a massive km haul with the clock disconnected.

mossy1200
18th May 2012, 17:09
Update pix after first clean. Still many more hours to go lol.

bogan
18th May 2012, 17:15
Cheap! (cos I can't bring myself to say it's cool :bleh:) Anti-dive front end though, with twin discs, perfect for doing a victory skid...

mossy1200
18th May 2012, 17:18
Cheap! (cos I can't bring myself to say it's cool :bleh:) Anti-dive front end though, with twin discs, perfect for doing a victory skid...

Anti dive???????? I think your looking at the twin pussy magnets. They are for attracting biseekual ladies.

ducatilover
18th May 2012, 17:50
I rather like it, it's screaming for a cleaned up block, get them fins pretty Mossy!

mossy1200
18th May 2012, 17:57
I rather like it, it's screaming for a cleaned up block, get them fins pretty Mossy!

Yes I made my wife buy a new toothbrush. I wasnt sure I could get the grease off hers.

Anyone know if theres a steam cleaner place in Welly that I could take it to.

mossy1200
22nd May 2012, 23:08
New chain arrived. Went for a gold xring.
Seat cover still coming snore.

mossy1200
26th May 2012, 16:55
Got the warrent today. Ginger Midget was on duty at the VTNZ so I grilled her about her lack of posts lately.

ducatilover
27th May 2012, 18:49
Are you just going to sell it on? What does the old fellow ride like?

nzspokes
27th May 2012, 18:54
What does the old fellow ride like?

:buggerd::laugh:

mossy1200
27th May 2012, 18:55
Are you just going to sell it on? What does the old fellow ride like?

Rides ok and sounds awesome. I painted the tank so its all black but not mint. I ordered some pads as one side had stuck piston and wrong pads that had worn on slight angle. Seat cover still not here so ill sell after that arrives.

ducatilover
27th May 2012, 19:11
Rides ok and sounds awesome. I painted the tank so its all black but not mint. I ordered some pads as one side had stuck piston and wrong pads that had worn on slight angle. Seat cover still not here so ill sell after that arrives.
I'll give you the worlds rattliest GN for it :2thumbsup

mossy1200
27th May 2012, 19:17
I'll give you the worlds rattliest GN for it :2thumbsup

How many litres of oil does it come with?

bogan
27th May 2012, 19:22

Not nearly enough!

ducatilover
27th May 2012, 20:37
None, it used it all...

mossy1200
27th May 2012, 21:04
None, it used it all...

No oil no smoke. Fill the engine with banana skins to make it quiet while you sell it. Use someone elses driveway as a collection address and make sure your getaway vehicle is faster than a sick GN. Skateboard should do.

ducatilover
27th May 2012, 21:18
No oil no smoke. Fill the engine with banana skins to make it quiet while you sell it. Use someone elses driveway as a collection address and make sure your getaway vehicle is faster than a sick GN. Skateboard should do.
It doesn't smoke anyway, which is why I'm confused. Skateboard will easily do it. :lol:

mossy1200
27th May 2012, 21:35
It doesn't smoke anyway, which is why I'm confused. Skateboard will easily do it. :lol:

Oil pump worn out from all the metal going through it? Maybe the bore has relined itself with cam chain swarf.

ducatilover
27th May 2012, 22:08
Oil pump worn out from all the metal going through it? Maybe the bore has relined itself with cam chain swarf.
I thought the piston would've worn to half the original size, but it has 140psi compression, apparently okay says Mr Suzuzuzuzuzuzki
I think it's just a heap of shit :lol:

mossy1200
28th May 2012, 22:20
Yippi seat cover arrived.
Fits good but my electric staple gun fires staples to long for the base plastic. I fired one at each bend and then withdrew it and folded it over as a start but ill take it to work tomorrow and use the coax gun with short staples on it tomorrow.

Not sure if I should use F2 glue also or not. Ideas...

nzspokes
28th May 2012, 22:28
Yippi seat cover arrived.
Fits good but my electric staple gun fires staples to long for the base plastic. I fired one at each bend and then withdrew it and folded it over as a start but ill take it to work tomorrow and use the coax gun with short staples on it tomorrow.

Not sure if I should use F2 glue also or not. Ideas...

Ask Cave Weta, hes the resident expert on it.

ducatilover
28th May 2012, 23:03
I used F2 on the CB400 seat I did, TBH I don't see any advantage as I didn't use it with my ZZR seat I did and that's still mint...even after destroying the whole bike :lol:

mossy1200
29th May 2012, 17:21
All done.

For sale is GSX550ef.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=480029574