PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle lift tables?

nadda
12th May 2012, 08:38
Hi
Looking for some feedback on motorcycle lifts.
My old knee,s are starting to suffer so looking at buying a lift for maintenance and cleaning of my bikes.
There are some on trade me that seem fairly priced would be keen to hear from anyone who has one

Cheers

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/parts-for-sale/other/auction-473291638.htm

rustys
12th May 2012, 09:05
Hi Anromeda.
I have had one for the last ten years and would not do without it. Got it from Trade me from a guy in Christchurch, simalar to what is on Trade Me, Very easy to operate, and load the bike onto. i drilled some holes into the platform so i can use tie downs just for a little more of the saftey aspect of holding the bike secure. Mine has two different work heights to work at. Depending what size bikes you have i see he has a slightly cheaper model which will do most motorcycles.
I can assure you now once you have one, you will have wished you had it years ago.
Russ

unstuck
12th May 2012, 20:22
I am toying with making something like this at the moment. I have most of the stuff I need,just need to make some room in the shed so I can get going on it.:niceone:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6g60eUcbGZA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>:msn-wink:

DrunkenMistake
12th May 2012, 20:37
I wish I had the money!

I have seen old hospital beds converted into bike lifts, but I dont think they can exceed 200kgs

nadda
12th May 2012, 20:41
Hi Unstuck

Like your idea of making your own. I found this on the net a table made of timber looks quiet usefull...

rustys
13th May 2012, 08:14
PM me if you want to have a look at the lift, as i live in Waikanae also.

nadda
13th May 2012, 08:42
Hi Rustys

I would relly like to see a lift for real before parting with my $$$ .

A friend of mine in the UK has a handy lift made in the US that must be over 20 years old now very sturdy but also very expensive .
For just weekend use a cheaper version will be fine Im sure.

As Im a new member I am not allowed to send PMs yet but I think I can reply if you send the first one

The Pastor
18th May 2012, 10:34
I am looking at making one of these

http://www.bbcracing.com/old/box/

Im going to use 2 sheets of 18mm MDF - Its about $60 a sheet, so $120 total.

Seems pretty straight forward.

Katman
18th May 2012, 10:40
There are some on trade me that seem fairly priced would be keen to hear from anyone who has one

I bought a new one for a similar price to the one you've linked to and have had no end of trouble with the hydraulic ram leaking.

I should have known better than to buy cheap Chinese crap.

Maha
18th May 2012, 10:44

You would be better off using Ply than MDF.

Akzle
18th May 2012, 11:02
I bought a new one for a similar price to the one you've linked to and have had no end of trouble with the hydraulic ram leaking.

yes. yes you should have!

go pnuematic, not hydraulic, at least hen if it leaks it won't make a mess... ><

awa355
18th May 2012, 11:06
Hi
My old knee,s are starting to suffer so looking at buying a lift for maintenance and cleaning of my bikes.

Cheers

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/parts-for-sale/other/auction-473291638.htm

Thats a hellva lot of money. Repco has some advertised a while ago for $200. My mate has one identical to the Repco one which I've used on my 246kg cruiser. Worked well, except the cradle was a fraction narrower than the frame on my bike. Just had to make an adapter to suit. Problem with cruisers is the ground clearance. I will measure the height of a small floor jack and see if it has the clearance to slide a steel support plate between the jack plate and the bike frame.

The crowd in Paeroa make a basic leverage type lift to get the back wheel off the ground for cruisers. My problem with that, is I would need to get the bike up higher to allow the rear wheel out past the rear guard. Also my engine is lower than the frame at the front, so I couldn't use that type to get the front wheel off the ground.

There must be plenty of ideas out there.

The Pastor
18th May 2012, 11:14
You would be better off using Ply than MDF.

Why? I think MDF is stronger than ply? Im going to fully paint it with a non slip paint, so should be pretty OK in terms of spilling fluids on it, and its not excatly going to get rained on in my garage :D

bogan
18th May 2012, 11:25
I wish I had the money!

I have seen old hospital beds converted into bike lifts, but I dont think they can exceed 200kgs

That'll be fine unless you have something heavy like a hyo... :whistle:

Forget lift stands, my garage is so small I need stacking stands so I can fit more bikes in :bleh:

I looked into this a while ago, was thinking of using an air cylinder so I could just run the compressor into it, and not worry about oil leaks. Pity the cylinder was going to be over a grand :facepalm:

The Pastor
18th May 2012, 11:28
That'll be fine unless you have something heavy like a hyo... :whistle:

Forget lift stands, my garage is so small I need stacking stands so I can fit more bikes in :bleh:

I looked into this a while ago, was thinking of using an air cylinder so I could just run the compressor into it, and not worry about oil leaks. Pity the cylinder was going to be over a grand :facepalm:

just buy a hydraulic car / floor jack and use that to lift the bike upwards.

jellywrestler
18th May 2012, 11:46
Hi

Cheers

i had one of these don't waste your time, good for small bikes only, used it once then upgraded

nadda
18th May 2012, 18:33
Hi Anromeda.
I have had one for the last ten years and would not do without it. Got it from Trade me from a guy in Christchurch, simalar to what is on Trade Me, Very easy to operate, and load the bike onto. i drilled some holes into the platform so i can use tie downs just for a little more of the saftey aspect of holding the bike secure. Mine has two different work heights to work at. Depending what size bikes you have i see he has a slightly cheaper model which will do most motorcycles.
I can assure you now once you have one, you will have wished you had it years ago.
Russ

Hi All

I checked out Rustys lift and it is similar to the trade me ones but has a bigger platform 2200 long where the trade me ones are only 1800 long. Rustys one also has a completely flat table where the cheaper ones have a tapered off rear section.
I have found these for sale with Sulco Tools for about $1250. The air operated Handy lifts that seem to be the Rolls Royce of lifts are about $3500 !!!!!!! I know they are not cheap but my knees are getting buggered!!!!!

nadda
18th May 2012, 18:34

These look good but not sure how I would get my FJ1200 up there safely !!!

nadda
18th May 2012, 18:35
i had one of these don't waste your time, good for small bikes only, used it once then upgraded

Hi Jellywrestler

May I ask what you upgraded too?

jellywrestler
21st May 2012, 22:37
Hi Jellywrestler

May I ask what you upgraded too?

2220 x 680 'fastlifting' I've had all sorts of bikes on it i'm in the hutt if you want to come and have a look one day pm me

BIG DOUG
22nd May 2012, 06:53
Happened to be in the right place at the right time and scored a slightly used handy lift for $800.00 and you are right they are the best ,look at wellington mc's they have had them for 15 years or more and no problems at all.Once you get a decent lift you will wonder how you did without one.

jellywrestler
24th May 2012, 19:27
pretty sure this is the model you're looking at, as you can see very limited
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/parts-for-sale/other/auction-478269286.htm

awa355
24th May 2012, 19:34
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/parts-for-sale/other/auction-478269286.htm

I wonder what length wheelbase it would take.

nadda
27th May 2012, 13:24

Yep like you said pretty limited use..... I guess you could make a bigger top area but may as well get the right tool for the job.
I looked at Rustys one last week and found the same one at quality tools in Palmy.
It is the same dimensions as yours with a removable panel to drop the rear wheel out off.
Think I will save my pennies and buy one of these later in the year :niceone:

http://www.qualitytools.co.nz/wayco-motorcycle-lift-p-2018.html?sID=61249a989e67e96e625689c7f9be6a43

Cheers

jellywrestler
27th May 2012, 14:03
Yep like you said pretty limited use..... I guess you could make a bigger top area but may as well get the right tool for the job.
I looked at Rustys one last week and found the same one at quality tools in Palmy.
It is the same dimensions as yours with a removable panel to drop the rear wheel out off.
Think I will save my pennies and buy one of these later in the year :niceone:

http://www.qualitytools.co.nz/wayco-motorcycle-lift-p-2018.html?sID=61249a989e67e96e625689c7f9be6a43

Cheers

yep that's the one, nice working height too plenty long enough as well264163

F5 Dave
28th May 2012, 16:34
I went for the fixed table option. So you have to use a ramp to wheel the bike up & plonk it on a stand, no biggie.

Happened to be in the right place at the right time and scored a slightly used . . .

As I'm pretty lazy & short on time I was very lucky to pick a well made wooden bench with a galv covering up off a particularly good egg who was upgrading to a flash lifty one. (Thanks again Spyda).

I modded it a touch with a ramp bolt so the ramp slots in when you want it to (tuck it away when in use), a couple of eyelets so I can strap the rear downward (or upward to the roof).

I also got a big 5"x5" bit of wood & attached it to the front & bolted some scrap lengths of 3"x3" angle iron to make a front tyre channel. I tiedown the tyre into this & it holds everything very steady without giving the tyre a particularly hard time.

I'm so happy with the set up I can't see the point in upgrading, unless I was regularly changing bikes around on it.

nadda
9th June 2012, 18:51
Got bike lift today .... Certainly going to help my ageing knee,s :lol:

F5 Dave
9th June 2012, 20:26
certainly giving it a work out.

boy you sure like bananas:crazy:

nadda
9th June 2012, 20:55
certainly giving it a work out.

boy you sure like bananas:crazy:

Hey Bananas seem to be the answer to all my medical issues and vices

The incredible, versatile banana is the most perfect fruit for man. Why? because it is every known vitamin, mineral, enzyme, etc. in the proper proportion and combination.

Each animal on earth has their most balanced type of food to eat, and that, in nature, they do eat solely...and they don't have the health problems we do (unless they are domesticated). Now what does that tell you? That we are what we eat...no doubt! And that if we were to subscribe to our natural diet, we would not have the health issues we have today.

Never, put your banana in the refrigerator!

This is interesting. After reading this, you'll never look at a banana in the same way again.

Bananas contain three natural sugars - sucrose, fructose and glucose combined with fiber.

A banana gives an instant, sustained and substantial boost of energy. Research has proven that just two bananas provide enough energy for a strenuous 90-minute workout. No wonder the banana is the number one fruit with the world's leading athletes. But energy isn't the only way a banana can help us keep fit. It can also help overcome or prevent a substantial number of illnesses and conditions, making it a must to add to our daily diet.

Depression: According to a recent survey undertaken by MIND amongst people suffering from depression, many felt much better after eating a banana. This is because bananas contain tryptophan, a type of protein that the body converts into serotonin, known to make you relax, improve your mood and generally make you feel happier.

PMS: Forget the pills - eat a banana. The vitamin B6 it contains regulates blood glucose levels, which can affect your mood.

Anemia: High in iron, bananas can stimulate the production of hemoglobin in the blood and so helps in cases of anemia.

Blood Pressure: This unique tropical fruit is extremely high in potassium yet low in salt, making it perfect to beat blood pressure. So much so, the US Food and Drug Administration has just allowed the banana industry to make official claims for the fruit's ability to reduce the risk of blood pressure and stroke.

Brain Power: 200 students at a Twickenham (Middlesex) school were helped through their exams this year by eating bananas at breakfast, break, and lunch in a bid to boost their brain power. Research has shown that the potassium-packed fruit can assist learning by making pupils more alert.

Constipation: High in fiber, including bananas in the diet can help restore normal bowel action, helping to overcome the problem without resorting to laxatives.

Hangovers: One of the quickest ways of curing a hangover is to make a banana milkshake, sweetened with honey. The banana calms the stomach and, with the help of the honey, builds up depleted blood sugar levels, while the milk soothes and re-hydrates your system.

Heartburn: Bananas have a natural antacid effect in the body, so if you suffer from heartburn, try eating a banana for soothing relief.

Morning Sickness: Snacking on bananas between meals helps to keep blood sugar levels up and avoid morning sickness.

Mosquito bites: Before reaching for the insect bite cream, try rubbing the affected area with the inside of a banana skin. Many people find it amazingly successful at reducing swelling and irritation.

Nerves: Bananas are high in B vitamins that help calm the nervous system.

Overweight and at work: Studies at the Institute of Psychology in Austria found pressure at work leads to gorging on comfort food like chocolate and crisps. Looking at 5,000 hospital patients, researchers found the most obese were more likely to be in high-pressure jobs. The report concluded that, to avoid panic-induced food cravings, we need to control our blood sugar levels by snacking on high carbohydrate foods every two hours to keep levels steady.

Ulcers: The banana is used as the dietary food against intestinal disorders because of its soft texture and smoothness. It is the only raw fruit that can be eaten without distress in over-chronicler cases. It also neutralizes over-acidity and reduces irritation by coating the lining of the stomach.

Temperature control: Many other cultures see bananas as a "cooling" fruit that can lower both the physical and emotional temperature of expectant mothers. In Thailand, for example, pregnant women eat bananas to ensure their baby is born with a cool temperature.

Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD): Bananas can help SAD sufferers because they contain the natural mood enhancer tryptophan.

Smoking & Tobacco Use: Bananas can also help people trying to give up smoking. The B6, B12 they contain, as well as the potassium and magnesium found in them, help the body recover from the effects of nicotine withdrawal.

Stress: Potassium is a vital mineral, which helps normalize the heartbeat, sends oxygen to the brain and regulates your body's water balance. When we are stressed, our metabolic rate rises, thereby reducing our potassium levels. These can be rebalanced with the help of a high-potassium banana snack.

Strokes: According to research in The New England Journal of Medicine, eating bananas as part of a regular diet can cut the risk of death by strokes by as much as 40%!

Warts: Those keen on natural alternatives swear that if you want to kill off a wart, take a piece of banana skin and place it on the wart, with the yellow side out. Carefully hold the skin in place with a plaster or surgical tape!

So, a banana really is a natural remedy for many ills. When you compare it to an apple, it has four times the protein, twice the carbohydrate, three times the phosphorus, five times the vitamin A and iron, and twice the other vitamins and minerals. It is also rich in potassium and is one of the best value foods around.

So maybe its time to change that well-known phrase so that we say, "A banana a day keeps the doctor away!"

PS: Bananas must be the reason monkeys are so happy all the time! I will add one here; want a quick shine on our shoes?? Take the INSIDE of the banana skin, and rub directly on the shoe...polish with dry cloth. Amazing fruit.

Edbear
10th June 2012, 00:17

Hi All

I checked out Rustys lift and it is similar to the trade me ones but has a bigger platform 2200 long where the trade me ones are only 1800 long. Rustys one also has a completely flat table where the cheaper ones have a tapered off rear section.
I have found these for sale with Sulco Tools for about $1250. The air operated Handy lifts that seem to be the Rolls Royce of lifts are about $3500 !!!!!!! I know they are not cheap but my knees are getting buggered!!!!!

I am an agent for Sulco, I'll see what I can get one for, might be able to save some cash.

Edbear
10th June 2012, 00:21
Got bike lift today .... Certainly going to help my ageing knee,s :lol:

Guess I was a bit late to this thread. I'll still check out a price for anyone who may be interested. If anyone sees anything on the Sulco site and would like a price just let me know and I will see what I can supply it for.

nadroj
10th June 2012, 06:24
Sulco site: http://www.sulco.co.nz/Category?Action=View&Category_id=314

Edbear
10th June 2012, 10:49
Sulco site: http://www.sulco.co.nz/Category?Action=View&Category_id=314

Cool I'll get a price for all of these and hopefully be able to get back with it tomorrow. I do have some pricing on Knipex pliers and some stuff so I'll post that list later today.

Sulco can't give me a general percentage as with such a large range of products there is quite a variation in margins and I need to ask per item. But anything they have I can get from jeweller sets to four post hoists.

Katman
10th June 2012, 16:11
Tag: KB Whore.

Edbear
11th June 2012, 09:53
I've got this listing initially, see what you think. The tools are recognised quality, not cheap stuff.

Your price is in red and includes GST.

Edbear
11th June 2012, 11:18
Just got this through from SULCO.

Check model No. against pic. (Scroll down for pic)

yomikey
17th July 2012, 20:25
Does anyone have drawings or plans to make a platform lift from steel??

geoffm
17th July 2012, 23:00
Does anyone have drawings or plans to make a platform lift from steel??

I have the plans from AFAB in my archives somewhere if you wantum, but you can download them from http://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CFsQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ekoinstal.com%2Fskutery%2FInn e%2520AFAB_Motorcycle_Table_Lift_Plans.pdf&ei=UEUFUIXaDLCXiQf687ShCA&usg=AFQjCNGUIlLRJJLT6zu3AXcIpS8PYPqzpw

Also have a look through this thread
http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/communities/mboard/showthread.php?7522-Motorcycle-lift-table
http://www.stargis.net/webslinger/Docs/Motorcycle_Lift_assembly_Rev1K_030707.pdf
http://www.buzzle.com/articles/motorcycle-table-lifts-how-to-build-a-motorcycle-lift.html
for more ideas

caseye
17th July 2012, 23:14
Hey Renegade Master. Use Ply! MDF(Medium Density Fibre Board=Customwood) or Particle board will break long before ply will.
Remember to put in a good number of cross braces for extra strength.
I converted an old hydraulic hospital bed, put a ply top on it with 3"X2" sides and cross braces, it had already been modified with lowered wheels into frame for lower overall at rest height, now I can wheel/ride up my home made ramps onto my table and then pump up that baby to about 3" 1/2 feet.Then if needs be I can unlock the wheels and move/spin it around the garage.

k1w160
12th July 2015, 20:21
Real old thread, but, has anyone tried the Machinery House Motorcycle Lifter Table?

A stuffed back and buggered knees means I need to think about a lifter table if I'm going to keep building bikes.

Cheers

Graham

TLDV8
13th July 2015, 18:56
Real old thread, but, has anyone tried the Machinery House Motorcycle Lifter Table?

I have had the Hare and Forbes table for a couple of years at least (Her indoors got it for me one Christmas)
The foot activated pump works fine, they can bounce a little if you try to raise it to fast, nothing bad though and the time to full height is reasonable.
They can creep (in my experience) so the locking pin and cross bar need to be used.
The front wheel clamp works OK ( I got one of the scissor type lifters that go under the engine or frame rails also)
I still rate it after this time period.
It seems anything beyond this lifter costs a small fortune.

RDJ
14th July 2015, 14:28
I bought a 1500-lb-capable motorcycle lift table from Redline Lifts, when I was in the USA on assignment a few months ago. It's already lifted 450lb and 1300lb of V2 and V8 motorcycle respectively.

I have no connection or interest with them other than being a satisfied customer. Took a few months to get it shipped through to New Zealand, but it is excellent and for my money, literally as well as figuratively, worth the wait.

http://www.redlinestands.com/catalog/

The one I bought is now discontinued, but they have a lot of other excellent equipment there.

Edbear
14th July 2015, 14:54
If anyone wants a price of anything SULCO sells I can get you a lower price for it. I used to work for them and am still a reseller.

bogan
14th July 2015, 17:07
If anyone wants a price of anything SULCO sells I can get you a lower price for it. I used to work for them and am still a reseller.

What price can you get us for their bike lift?

it's $1570 ex gst in their catalogue...

I can do one for 800 through my sources. Different model which is only 400kg, but, fuck goldwing owners.

Edbear
14th July 2015, 19:28
It's discounted already but I will get a firm price tomorrow. Also being 680kg and comes with side extensions.

Edbear
15th July 2015, 12:02
Best I can do on this is $1783.75 incl.GST. So a wee bit less than the special price advertised. Considering they were $2400+GST before the special, that's a good price. Naturally freight is extra, but you could pick up from the store in Wiri.

bogan
15th July 2015, 16:24
Best I can do on this is $1783.75 incl.GST. So a wee bit less than the special price advertised. Considering they were $2400+GST before the special, that's a good price. Naturally freight is extra, but you could pick up from the store in Wiri.

That's only $20 off on a near 2k list item... Their catalogue says it was $1970 before, so not sure where your 2,400 comes from.

Trade pricing pisses me off most times...

Edbear
15th July 2015, 17:52
My apologies, I should have rechecked before posting. Previous cost was $1970+GST making it $2265.50incl. SULCO knocked $400 off down to $1570.00 Plus GST, making it $1805.50incl. My price is $1783.75 including so a further $21.75 off the inclusive price.

I did say it was already on special at a discount, but I would see what I could do. Anyone should be therefore able to see what I can do against their standard pricing. I would have been able to knock off $421.75 from their retail price. A significant sum, so if anyone does see something in their catalogue, either on or not on special, let me do a quote for you.

bogan
15th July 2015, 17:58
My apologies, I should have rechecked before posting. Previous cost was $1970+GST making it $2265.50incl. SULCO knocked $400 off down to $1570.00 Plus GST, making it $1805.50incl. My price is $1783.75 including so a further $21.75 off the inclusive price.

I did say it was already on special at a discount, but I would see what I could do. Anyone should be therefore able to see what I can do against their standard pricing. I would have been able to knock off $421.75 from their retail price. A significant sum, so if anyone does see something in their catalogue, either on or not on special, let me do a quote for you.

That's what pisses me off about trade pricing, a walk in off the street and some haggling could get you 10-20% any day of the week anyway. Either way, it's still well above what you'd pay for a similar lift table to do all but the heaviest bikes.

pete-blen
15th July 2015, 20:02
I got one of these from Topmaq a couple years ago.....
lifts the XT660 no probs...
450kgs = 990lbs more than enough for any bike I will ever own..
http://www.topmaq.co.nz/item/view/450kg-Motorcycle-Hoist?sku=AUHO2100

k1w160
18th July 2015, 14:20
Just want to give a big shout out to caseye.

After a few PM's, his hospital bed / bike lifter is now in my garage.:2thumbsup

Lunch is on me when you get up this way Mark.

caseye
18th July 2015, 19:42
Just want to give a big shout out to caseye.

After a few PM's, his hospital bed / bike lifter is now in my garage.:2thumbsup

Lunch is on me when you get up this way Mark.

\
Pleased to know you got home alright in that atrocious weather.
Just glad that you will get the use out of it, that I was no longer getting (what happens when you buy a bandit, no need for lifts) she's good if you've got the room and makes a great mobile saw stool.
Will make sure we're up there with plenty of warning mate, will be a good day I'm sure.

Edbear
18th July 2015, 21:21
\
Pleased to know you got home alright in that atrocious weather.
Just glad that you will get the use out of it, that I was no longer getting (what happens when you buy a bandit, no need for lifts) she's good if you've got the room and makes a great mobile saw stool.
Will make sure we're up there with plenty of warning mate, will be a good day I'm sure.

Goodonyer mate!

nzspokes
18th July 2015, 21:33
Starting to think one of these would be bloody handy.

Edbear
18th July 2015, 21:51
Starting to think one of these would be bloody handy.

Sure are! Wide range of prices on them. But the SULCO one is the only one I can supply. I know that if that's the best pricing I can do they aren't making a big profit on them.

Nda
15th April 2017, 20:01
Yeah mate i make them out of hospital bed 200kg rating is to save there ass. iv had 400 kg riden mower one mine and it work great.. would never be with out one now days. ..

Sent from my SM-J120ZN using Tapatalk