PDA

View Full Version : Head on crash, 1959 Chev takes on 2009 Chev, interesting

orangeback
12th May 2012, 18:46
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1Asb3Ad-tg

unstuck
12th May 2012, 18:50
Fuck me, would not of expected that. Technology aye, bloody marvelous. The 59 looks better though.:shifty:

slofox
12th May 2012, 18:52
Hmmm...guess I know which one I'd prefer to crash in then. Note the steering column of the '59 poking the driver in the head - about 1.05.

Kickaha
12th May 2012, 18:54
The guy in the 59 should have got the optional seatbelts

SMOKEU
12th May 2012, 18:54
I still don't understand why there are so many idiots who insist that a 50 year old American car will be safer in a crash than a good modern car.

scumdog
12th May 2012, 18:56
Front wheel-drive with transvers engine/trans vs an inline six cylinder.

Which allowed the 09 to skid past the '59 motor and do the damage.

yeah, seems a fair test.

But on the whole the '09 is safer - butt-ugly though, ugh, unlike the '59...

caspernz
12th May 2012, 19:08
No surprise in this at all. The concept of a safe passenger cell, sacrificing the metal around it, is hardly new...

tigertim20
12th May 2012, 19:20
Fuck me, would not of expected that. Technology aye, bloody marvelous. The 59 looks better though.:shifty:
not anymore it doesnt!

yeah, seems a fair test.

thats a reasonable point.
Ive watched arguments between the 'old cars survive a smash better' and the 'new cars survive a crash better' crowds.
Result is always the same. Old car proponents point out how heavy big and tough old cars are, and point to the usually lower amount of damage, but regardless of how you word it, they can understand that old cars show minimal damage because energy gets transferred to the occupants, meaning less damage but more injury, while new cars utilize crumple zones to absorb energy, maximising damage, and reducing injury.
But hey, its ok that you're dead because your widow still has a mostly mint '58 with just a little panel damage right?

mossy1200
12th May 2012, 19:54

yeah, seems a fair test.

So you say apple & pears but isnt that the whole point?
I wouldnt mind seeing the 59 vers 5 star rated little car though. With a masive weight diff the instant reverse effect on little light car would cause some issues to passengers.

Virago
12th May 2012, 20:08
...Note the steering column of the '59 poking the driver in the head - about 1.05.

Pretty obvious why though - at best it was a lap seat-belt only.

Still, there's no doubt which would be safer to be in.

Motu
12th May 2012, 20:15
They need to get more Americans into Estima's without seat belts. Looks like it's still pretty easy to die in a car.

SMOKEU
12th May 2012, 20:18
So you say apple & pears but isnt that the whole point?
I wouldnt mind seeing the 59 vers 5 star rated little car though. With a masive weight diff the instant reverse effect on little light car would cause some issues to passengers.

I would still rather be inside the small car.

ducatilover
12th May 2012, 20:28
That particular era Chev had a horrid chassis that folded (poor design, some call it an X framed chassis, not too sure why) and are rather bad in any sort of crash, worse than the models before/after.
Great bit of marketing... sort of.
Everyone should be aware that later model cars transfer the energy of a crash down the "chassis rails" and up past the A-pillar (the side intrusion bars can also carry/disperse energy), so it goes without saying that most late model cars are better in crashes than older ones. Except for minor crashes, solid chassis works better in very low speed impacts.

Pointless really... even a current model Toyota Yaris is "better in a crash" than a VS Commodore.

Still amusing to see cars be thrown at each other.

Zedder
12th May 2012, 20:33

yeah, seems a fair test.

A '59 Ford Customline is it for me.

tigertim20
12th May 2012, 20:43
Still amusing to see cars be thrown at each other.

as long as theyre throwing cars at other cars and not bikes, Im not bothered!