PDA

View Full Version : Bridgestone Battlax S20R review - Initial impressions.

onearmedbandit
15th May 2012, 12:43
First up, a big thank you to Dave at EuroTred, Bill and Anne at Budget Motorcycle Spares and everyone who voted for me.

Well I've been waiting for the call to say my tyres had arrived, and so on Saturday morning Bill called me up to say they were there. I booked in for fitting on Monday, eagerly awaiting to try them out. I dropped my bike off to Budget at their central location on Wilson's Road at about 12pm and had a good chat with Bill and Anne, both very pleasant people. There would be about a 2hr wait which they had told me over the phone, but they were very helpful in pointing out local places to go to eat etc, even offered their magazine collection to flick through while I waited.

First things first though, I wanted to check out my new hoops! And I must say they are a good looking set of tyres. The profile of the curve is less steep than my previous tyres, but still with a noticeable drop to the shoulder.

Lunch only took so long so I was back just after 1, expecting to wait for a little longer. But no, my bike was sitting out front looking smart on it's new rubber, excellent service thanks guys! Another chat with Bill, explaining what pressures he had put in them and so forth, and then it was time for some photos before I ventured off.

Initial impressions as I left were positive. Sure I was taking it easy (unforgivable to drop your bike outside the store!) but they tipped in predictably and willingly. The tyres I took off, Pilot Pures, are still in good nick with no flattening but these felt immediately more encouraging. Riding home on Christchurch's rough roads there was no 'tram-lining' or lack of stability under braking. So far, so good. A couple of mild corners and 90d intersections were all I got to use on the way home but it was apparent straight away that these tyres like to lean! This can sometimes be unnerving as some tyres I've ridden on make it feel like the bike is dropping in too quickly, but not these. No sir, they feel like they encourage you to go further, but in a controlled manner, which only inspires confidence.

Arrived home and had a quick look at the bike in general, as to me tyres do play a big part in a bikes aesthetics, and while these don't have the 'cut race-slick' look some tyres do, they compliment the bike well.

All in all I'm very happy so far. The service at Budget Motorcycle Spares was fantastic, the tyres look great and have left me itching to get out on the open road on some familiar corners to see just how they feel. I like a lot of feedback from my tyres, and my last set were lacking in communication, so I have high hopes for these hoops!

Crasherfromwayback
15th May 2012, 12:59
Looking good! Oi...whatchu done to your front brakes? Why is the caliper mounted where it is?

onearmedbandit
15th May 2012, 13:01
Looking good! Oi...whatchu done to your front brakes? Why is the caliper mounted where it is?

Brembo two-pot conversion kit running on Brembo rotors bro!

Crasherfromwayback
15th May 2012, 13:03
Brembo two-pot conversion kit running on Brembo rotors bro!

You're sassing me ain't ya? They not be four pots?

Asher
15th May 2012, 13:08
lol i can still spot that michelin man in the 3rd pic

Maha
15th May 2012, 13:11
Nice Fraser, I will be interested to hear your thoughts a few thousand K's later.
I opted to leave the 021's on the Yamaha when I bought it...was going to get the PR3's swapped from the Honda because of the low K's and they're a mint tyre.
Kinda wished I hadn't...not overly keen in the wet on the 021's.
What PSI you running them on?

onearmedbandit
15th May 2012, 13:12
You're sassing me ain't ya? They not be four pots?

Ah wasn't thinking lol yes 4 pots.

lol i can still spot that michelin man in the 3rd pic

Congratulations. Yes my bike is done in LS colours which include Michelin signage. Out of respect to Bridgestone I covered it up a little, and yes it is still visible, but hey it's on my bike in the flesh.

imdying
15th May 2012, 14:32
I see you also photoshopped your hand out to keep up the illusion :msn-wink:

onearmedbandit
15th May 2012, 14:50
My faith in tyres has returned. Stay tuned, more in-depth feedback later today.

I see you also photoshopped your hand out to keep up the illusion :msn-wink:

Bro you got your money now shutup.

onearmedbandit
15th May 2012, 14:52
Nice Frazer, I will be interested to hear your thoughts a few thousand K's later.

Yup there will be regular updates.

34 rear and 36 front.

george formby
15th May 2012, 15:29
Nice Frazer, I will be interested to hear your thoughts a few thousand K's later.
I opted to leave the 021's on the Yamaha when I bought it...was going to get the PR3's swapped from the Honda because of the low K's and they're a mint tyre.
Kinda wished I hadn't...not overly keen in the wet on the 021's.

Their in lies the rub with tires.. The 021's are my fav tire in the wet on Tubby. Never once stained my kecks. Contis on the other hand.....

Maha
15th May 2012, 15:34
Their in lies the rub with tires.. The 021's are my fav tire in the wet on Tubby. Never once stained my kecks. Contis on the other hand.....

...in saying that, they were ok on Sunday in some atrocious riding conditions..I did add extra air to the rear (7psi) before we left on Friday..was at 33 now at 40 :eek:

george formby
15th May 2012, 16:04
...in saying that, they were ok on Sunday in some atrocious riding conditions..I did add extra air to the rear (7psi) before we left on Friday..was at 33 now at 40 :eek:

Thanks Maha, I knew their was something I needed to check on the bikes......

Brian d marge
15th May 2012, 16:24
I have just bought some stuff from Ann at budget , very nice to deal with

what ever happened to Old Trev from budgets ?

Sorry to go slightly off topic ..

Stephen

slofox
15th May 2012, 16:28
"they feel like they encourage you to go further, but in a controlled manner, which only inspires confidence."

I know exactly what you mean here. The immediate predecessor of the S20's, the 016 Pro's, have very much that feeling too.

I'll go to the 20's next change.

Hitcher
15th May 2012, 19:59
34 rear and 36 front.

34 rear? Seriously?

onearmedbandit
15th May 2012, 21:48
34 rear? Seriously?

Yes, 34 very serious pounds per square inch. It's a starting point, I'll try 36 next, then maybe 38. But unless the design of this tyre is severely different from previous tyres I've run I'd say I'll end up somewhere close to where I started.

Hitcher
15th May 2012, 22:25
Yes, 34 very serious pounds per square inch. It's a starting point, I'll try 36 next, then maybe 38. But unless the design of this tyre is severely different from previous tyres I've run I'd say I'll end up somewhere close to where I started.

Fair enough. I've never run a rear with less than 38psi and am generally most comfortable with 40psi. Hence my surprise. I generally use the manufacturer's recommended fitment for my bike model as a guide.

onearmedbandit
15th May 2012, 23:32
My faith in tyres has returned. Stay tuned, more in-depth feedback later today.

As I was saying. I managed to get out for a brief ride today, only about 50km but still enough to know I'm onto a good thing here. First to be noticed on the open road was the same thing I had observed in town, namely their eagerness to lean in with that confidence inspiring feel. And once tipped in it was easy to pick a line and hold it, the bike seemingly locked onto a target in the distance. That's not to say they won't change line if requested, just they 'settle in' very well. Braking and downshifting were both fuss free affairs, allowing me to concentrate on getting through the corner as smoothly as possible.

I know of a couple of mid corner bumps that will upset a poorly set up bike, or one on average tyres. Each one of them I nailed intentionally, either on the brakes on the very tip in point or mid corner on both positive and closed throttle, and hand on heart the tyres gave no sign of struggling. In fact, although today wasn't an intensive test for them (I'll save that for an upcoming track day) I really couldn't fault them.

So paint me happy. Granted I've only done minimal kms but I would have no problem paying the asking for a set of these, and would happily recommend them based on my experiences so far. I'll be back with another update in 500km time. Lets see whether I still feel the same then.

Hitcher
16th May 2012, 20:43
Is it time to start a sweepstake on how many km you'll get off them?

Latte
16th May 2012, 20:47
Less rhan 5k. Even worse if he hits the track. Front will go 1st. Based on my experience with 016's

onearmedbandit
18th May 2012, 17:39
Went out for a good run today, about 120km. Hand on heart these are some of the best tyres I've ridden on. The feedback is phenomenal, inspiring confidence. Flicking from side to side at speed, they are stable, direct and precise. Compared to my last tyres these are a world apart, I didn't want to come home rather just stay out hunting corners.

Kickaha
18th May 2012, 19:22
what ever happened to Old Trev from budgets ?

Last time I saw him he was busy out fucking round on Adventure bikes and dicking around with cars, think there was a few overseas trips for the grumpy old prick to

Fast Eddie
18th May 2012, 20:42
Less rhan 5k. Even worse if he hits the track. Front will go 1st. Based on my experience with 016's

hm.. i got 2 rear 016's to the front.. the rears got chewed up..

blade runs a 130 front tho, maybe less wear/bigger contact patch?