PDA

View Full Version : K7 GSXR1000 steering damper issue?

jpotton
17th May 2012, 22:00
Hey there,

Getting an error code on my gixxer which was intermittant but now stays on permanantly. The manual says that the "sd" code can be one of 3 things. Wellington Motorcycles narrowed that down to the steering damper which was what i suspected. So, turns out that i'm looking at 2k for an OEM replacement. Screw that!! <_<

The shop hasn't had any gixxers my year in for a bit otherwise would have isolated the issue by swapping a damper from either. It's either Damper or wiring.

My question: is there anyone local (in wellies) that has a K7 that i can plug my steering damper into (loom connector is really accessible so should be able to connect it to another bike within seconds). If the errorcode comes up, then i know my damper is dodgy and I get my mate to bring one back from the states. Might even grab an ohlins or something...

Appreciate any help,
Jeremy

24xtreme
17th May 2012, 23:08
I have a 600 K7 and live in Wellington. Can I be of any assistance?

Pussy
17th May 2012, 23:27
Get an Ohlins one. Comes with a resistor to bypass the error code. All up a better damper, too.
K7 600 one isn't electronic.

Kornholio
17th May 2012, 23:35
Have you tried putting a bit of tape over the error code/light and giving it more revs and hanging on a bit harder?

jpotton
20th May 2012, 21:33
Get an Ohlins one. Comes with a resistor to bypass the error code. All up a better damper, too.
K7 600 one isn't electronic.

Hmmmm yeah i kinda do want an excuse to grab an ohlins. I wondered about the open circuit - figured it'd have to have some sort of resistance so ecu still thinks everything is ok.

Before I splash, I just had a thought, in the manual it says that a sound ohm reading across the solonoid should be 12.5 ohms @20°C (As a side, mine was reading a 13 ohms around 16°C).

If the issue is the damper, I should be able to throw a 12.5 ohm resistor across the terminals and the error code should bugger off? Sound right?

Cheers

jpotton
20th May 2012, 21:34
I have a 600 K7 and live in Wellington. Can I be of any assistance?

Yeah i think the electronic dampers came in for the 600's on the K8's. Thanks anyway mate.

jpotton
20th May 2012, 21:37
Have you tried putting a bit of tape over the error code/light and giving it more revs and hanging on a bit harder?

Haha, yeah well the bright red led aimed at your face tends to get a bit annoying after a while - Maybe you're right, cover that sucker up and hit it hard. Tank-slappers only happen on youtube ;)

SMOKEU
20th May 2012, 21:39
Haha, yeah well the bright red led aimed at your face tends to get a bit annoying after a while - Maybe you're right, cover that sucker up and hit it hard. Tank-slappers only happen on youtube ;)

I've had a few very minor tankslappers on the 600, I'd hate to think what a GSXR1000 would be like at full throttle on a bumpy road!

Pussy
20th May 2012, 22:02
Hmmmm yeah i kinda do want an excuse to grab an ohlins. I wondered about the open circuit - figured it'd have to have some sort of resistance so ecu still thinks everything is ok.

Before I splash, I just had a thought, in the manual it says that a sound ohm reading across the solonoid should be 12.5 ohms @20°C (As a side, mine was reading a 13 ohms around 16°C).

If the issue is the damper, I should be able to throw a 12.5 ohm resistor across the terminals and the error code should bugger off? Sound right?

Cheers

The Ohlins one comes with a resistor with an OEM type plug on it. Fit and forget. The stock dampers aren't that flash even when they're new. You know you want to!

jpotton
20th May 2012, 22:34
I've had a few very minor tankslappers on the 600, I'd hate to think what a GSXR1000 would be like at full throttle on a bumpy road!

I have to honestly say, it's not that bad. The only proper tank slapper i've experienced in my life was on my SXF450 in a flat-ish paddock at 70-80km/h...that gave me the shits but managed to recover and got the thumbs up from a rider next to me. Needless to say I have a scott damper on that thing now...makes a HUUUUGE difference.

The K7 holds the road nicely but from what i've read, guys regularly replace the oil in the k7 dampers because it's too thin. Since the damper is not engaging at speed now, I have to say I have noticed it does feel quite different on the corners wobbling around a bit...to be expected i guess.

jpotton
20th May 2012, 22:40
The Ohlins one comes with a resistor with an OEM type plug on it. Fit and forget. The stock dampers aren't that flash even when they're new. You know you want to!

I think i'll be pissed if it turns out to just be the wiring. I'm going to try my 12.5 ohm resistor tomorrow and will see how it goes.

Have a flatmate heading to the states Tuesday who's halved his BMW dual purp parts bill (from 4k NZD down to 2k....no jokes). Might see if he can flick an ohlins my way and will make sure he ticks the "GIFT" checkbox this time...Dam Customs!!!

jpotton
21st May 2012, 21:39
So grabbed a handful of resistors today and tried testing. Nothing happened to the error code with the ignition on. Have done some studying of the manual and testing.

With the ignition on, it's supposed to measure 10v approximately across the connector pins (from ECM)...measuring zilch...which explains why the resistors did nothing.

Found the + wire and earthed it to body and got 10.05v....I guess this means I have a broken ground wire. My guess would be it's broken where the steering is always turning.

I hate pulling the front apart...this is going to be a weekend job...what a bitch!!!

Brett
21st May 2012, 22:39

Nothing says "happy times" like riding out a slapper!

SMOKEU
21st May 2012, 22:46
Nothing says "happy times" like riding out a slapper!

It certainly scared the shit out of me the first time it happened because I wasn't expecting it. All good now though, I try to just relax and ride it out.

G4L4XY
22nd May 2012, 10:19
So grabbed a handful of resistors today and tried testing. Nothing happened to the error code with the ignition on. Have done some studying of the manual and testing.

With the ignition on, it's supposed to measure 10v approximately across the connector pins (from ECM)...measuring zilch...which explains why the resistors did nothing.

Found the + wire and earthed it to body and got 10.05v....I guess this means I have a broken ground wire. My guess would be it's broken where the steering is always turning.

I hate pulling the front apart...this is going to be a weekend job...what a bitch!!!

It's probably going to be a mint as weekend too, and you'll be stuck inside working on ya bike! And then when you finally get a chance to test it....it will rain lol

jpotton
26th May 2012, 17:20
So call me a cynic, but i expected this to be a mongrel of a job, but diagnosis was right, negative broken wire between the computer and damper and was easily accessible so didn't have to pull front apart.

In case someone has a similar issue in future, i will quickly write up troubleshooting steps:

Pierced the wire sheathing (pricking a hole in it with sharp continuity tester prong) on the both positive and negative wires at the computer loom bundle end (colors didn't match the other end btw - just rely on the manual for correct pins) and also pierced both wires at the damper end (but back to where the wires don't bend with steering).

Grabbed multi meter and measured ohms (testing for continuity). 0.9 ohm between the two points on positive wire. ~ (infinity/nothing) ohm resistance measured on negative. So definitely a break.

For sanity's sake, pierced another hole in positive and negative wires but right at the damper plug end. Tested ohms resistance between damper plug end and wire bundle (steering movement doesn't affect wires at this point). Positive got a reading. Negative nothing :)

Cut off damper connector, pulled off weather proofing protective sheathing to expose wires. Located break quickly...wire was flimsy and weak at one point.

Installed new wire, soldering onto old at bundle and heat shrinking, putting weather protective sheathing back on and testing.

Turned ignition on, Measured 10.5 volts across the two wires now :)

Powered on ignition...no more error code :niceone:

So i guess even if I did get the Ohlins I would have had issues because current would have never got to the resistor they provide.

Pussy
26th May 2012, 17:37
Dead right... it wouldn't have! Glad you got it sorted.