PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning engine cases?

Rupe
21st May 2012, 11:44
need to clean the engine up on my bike before I sell. It's not old but starting to look a bit shit due to mud and cow shit that has been on in. Is there a good and available product I can use to bring back the finish on the engine and it's cases?

nathanwhite
21st May 2012, 11:52
I use WD-40 as a general cleaning agent.
Spray on, give it a coupla of seconds to spread out/get in then wipe off with a rag.
If there is a lot of road grime/mud/poo/whatever have at it with a fine grade scouring pad after putting on the wd40 to break it all up.

Maybe not so good for headers though, it is a light oil and has a tendency to make them smokey :innocent:

scott411
21st May 2012, 12:38
need to clean the engine up on my bike before I sell. It's not old but starting to look a bit shit due to mud and cow shit that has been on in. Is there a good and available product I can use to bring back the finish on the engine and it's cases?

you can use a mild mag wheel cleaner but do not leave it on for very long, this can bring some shine back to it, a good multi purpose cleaner works well as well, we used super rip from pacer at the shop,

orangeback
21st May 2012, 12:42
simply green works mint
http://www.simplegreen.com/

slofox
21st May 2012, 12:49
In the olden days we used kerosene. Paint on, leave for a bit and hose off.

slaphead
21st May 2012, 13:24
I found "MOTOMUK" too be good!

Rupe
21st May 2012, 13:44
you can use a mild mag wheel cleaner but do not leave it on for very long, this can bring some shine back to it, a good multi purpose cleaner works well as well, we used super rip from pacer at the shop,

Sweet might try that. will need a bit more than motomuck, or wd40

cambocambo
21st May 2012, 20:42
any chance of some before and after pics?

CookMySock
23rd May 2012, 13:03
The yellow citrus-smelling hand cleaner gets almost anything off.

CRF119
25th May 2012, 18:52
CT-18 truck clean works well. Found at super cheap. One of few products that removes the black left on the red Honda seats from your pants.

HenryDorsetCase
25th May 2012, 23:04
CT-18 truck clean works well. Found at super cheap. One of few products that removes the black left on the red Honda seats from your pants.

usually thats brown on mine. Im just saying

mossy1200
25th May 2012, 23:33
Didnt super cheap have a special this week. 10 tins of degreaser for $25.00. Thats ok I use it on wheels also just spray and rinse away. the next few km ride can be exciting if its on the tyres also.

CRF119
26th May 2012, 10:59
usually thats brown on mine. Im just saying

Lol the black is caused by the aluminuim frame, Pants polish frame during ride creating that nice black stuff the gets stuck to everything when polishing that then gets rubbed on to the seat.