PDA

View Full Version : Speedo not working

Asher
21st May 2012, 14:05
Hi guys, im having a problem with my rgv's speedo; it isnt working
It started fluctuating rapidly, then under read the speed by around 50% then stopped working completely.
I took the speedo dial off and it looked fine, took the cable out and it looked fine, i attached the bottom of the cable to a drill and its looks like speedo dial and cable are fine.
When i disconnect the cable from the dial and push the bike forward the cable doesnt spin so i guess that means its an issue with the gearbox in the wheel.
Im unable to check it as i dont have any stands to get the front wheel off.
So what im wondering is it common for speedo gearboxes to fail? Could it simply need an adjustment to get it to work again or do they normally need replacing? If so does anyone have a spare one they have stripped off a race bike i could have?

Thanks

superjackal
10th December 2012, 20:23
Bugger, nobody replied. Having the same problem myself....

Hi guys, im having a problem with my rgv's speedo; it isnt working
It started fluctuating rapidly, then under read the speed by around 50% then stopped working completely.
I took the speedo dial off and it looked fine, took the cable out and it looked fine, i attached the bottom of the cable to a drill and its looks like speedo dial and cable are fine.
When i disconnect the cable from the dial and push the bike forward the cable doesnt spin so i guess that means its an issue with the gearbox in the wheel.
Im unable to check it as i dont have any stands to get the front wheel off.
So what im wondering is it common for speedo gearboxes to fail? Could it simply need an adjustment to get it to work again or do they normally need replacing? If so does anyone have a spare one they have stripped off a race bike i could have?

Thanks

FJRider
10th December 2012, 20:48
Not a common problem ... but it does happen.

Source another front rim. (one with a good tyre on it)

neels
10th December 2012, 21:37
I had the same thing with a bike a while ago which was pretty much the same, stick the drill on the cable and the speedo worked. Problem was the metal plate with tabs in the speedo drive was bent and not driving the cable any more, a quick realignment with the pliers and sorted.

mossy1200
10th December 2012, 22:00
Tie your bike up from the roof of you garage onto the handle bars.

Asher
10th December 2012, 22:22
Yup it was the plastic tabs inside the speedo gearbox that self destructed. I just replaced it rather than going through the trouble of trying to fix it