PDA

View Full Version : yz450f heading for the bonfire

on2it
23rd May 2012, 09:27
Hey guys,

After riding tussock buster and having an accident with the water ( didn't drop the bike but I'm assuming the water found its way up into the engine through a hose) the yz was full of water in the engine, I tried starting it and drained it but it wouldn't go.

After many oil changes (including oil filters and air filter change) it was running, I took it out to woodhill and managed to get around 200 meters before opening the throttle and it died on me and wouldn't restart.

Ive taken the carb apart and blown air through it, and now looking down the track of spark plug. It idles fine and medium rev's but at high rpm it dies and wont want to restart again for a while.

Is there anything else I should be looking at? Its a yz450f 08, ive checked fuel filters and replaced with new fuel,

Also I noticed it hasn't been touched in a while on the forums but is there such a thing as a night class motorcycle course in Auckland? (West preferred) as I'm in the last few months of an electrical apprenticeship and will always have bikes. Or should I look at ringing up moto x places and working for free on the weekend?

I'm out in Muriwai if any one could help out with the learning part

Many thanks

Alan

Asher
23rd May 2012, 10:05
Does it die as soon as you rev it high or after a little while?

dogsnbikes
23rd May 2012, 10:19
If its running at low and med rev's does it start up when engine has cooled down?? most likley head gasket....

Did you clean and dry out the electrics?

I found flushing with Kerosene was the best way to get water out of engines,

on2it
23rd May 2012, 10:41
It seems to die when its been at high rev's for maybe 30 seconds, the spark plugs seem to be a little darkened and I'm going to try a new one shortly.

I was thinking it was fuel related being dark on the spark plug. I got told about kerosene but wasn't sure so didn't try it.

I'm fairly mechanically minded but the engine components lifters etc scare me

So check the gaskets, and hope. Still being a apprentice I cant quite afford to take it to the mechanics so I'm trying as much as I can myself

Taz
23rd May 2012, 12:09
You drained the tank after the water mishap? Also check the gas cap vent to make sure air is getting into the tank to allow the gas to flow to the carb.

paturoa
23rd May 2012, 13:01
It seems to die when its been at high rev's for maybe 30 seconds.

I'd start at the tank end and try the following.

Disconnect the fuel hose from the carb. Does the gas flow properly?
Drop the float bowl off and push the float up manually, does the gas flow into the bowl properly?

Asher
23rd May 2012, 13:44
Sounds like its running out of fuel, you might have enough fuel for it to idle and run at medium rev's but it drains the floats at high rev's
Check the breather pipe, check you have the correct type of fuel filters, the fuel tap filters if that doesnt work strip the carbs and give it a clean and check the jets are clear.

on2it
24th May 2012, 07:13
Yeah I was thinking the fuel side of things, ive stripped the carb apart and cleared all the jets and have also drained all the fuel and checked all the filters in the fuel tank side

As far as my newbie eyes have seen there's no other fuel filters unless there's something hiding in the fuel tap.

Ill check the float side of things on Saturday and hopefully get it going again

Otherwise ill be reposting on Sunday :( I hope it goes cause woodhill keeps calling me

Cheers guys