PDA

View Full Version : Waving,Worked it out,Maybe!

Jackrat
27th December 2003, 07:43
Boxing day,Time for a ride.
Think I might pop out an vist Lee & Gail out west Auckland way,Hate the motoway but time to bite the bullet an do it.Waiuku to Hobsonville,not qaultiy
Kms but we do these things Aye!.Heading out of Waiuku an a Triumph Thunder bird coming the other way,Give him a wave,Nothing,Give him the finger...Oh yeah he saw that.The double take almost had him in the ditch,he,he,he.Bikes running like a clock,Pipes crackling away,Sun shineing,Carving up the cages all the way to the motoway,Bliss just bike an me :hug:
Up the southern,Traffic like rush hour,Humming along an see a head light coming up behind,Move over to give em, room but he tucks in,Cool.
Looks like an R1-R6,He won,t stay long.Sure enough five minites an he drifts to the next lane an pulls away,Quick look an a big wave,wave back.Happy guy
Very nice bike.New market fly over an catch guy on new Triumph America.Give him the nod,He stares straight ahead don,t talk to jappers,Brand
new bike,brand new Jacket, boots,helmet,Brand new middle age crisis.
Come round bend before the westy turn off,Nissan Maxima doing 60Km,Flick around em, an watch Mr Triumph just about run up his bum,Yep got that right.Half way up the western an spot Mr plod,Aggggh Shet,Drop throttle check speed :o Only doing 100Km anyway,Guilty or what!.Oh well get to mates place,Yarn Yarn Yarn Beer Yarn.Off home more motoway :disapint: .
Get passed by FJ1100-1200,Give him a wave nothing,Don,t talk to commoners huh,All the best gear with girl in cotton blouse an open face,Say no more.Pass old XJ650 wave,nothing again.
Off the motoway at last,Carving up the cages again,Flash bike coming the other way FAST,Get the big wave,wave back.
So there ya, go Iv,e worked this wave thing out.
The verdict,Buggered if I know.
Happy travels folks. ;) :D

onearmedbandit
27th December 2003, 21:01
Hmmm, I've got to say its been six years since I've been back on a 'proper' bike, so I kind of forgot about the old wave issue. But since I've been back on bikes, god damn if no-one other than sportbike riders will wave. I laugh at all the mid-age crisis wanna-bes trying to reclaim their lost youth, or whatever their excuse/reason is.

It seems to me that if you're on a sportsbike, you're considered lower on the food chain than if you are on a Triumph (what an ironic name), Hardly Workingson, or for that matter, any Italian bike. Doesn't bother me though, after my accident I've learnt to laugh at the small stuff, and its ALL small stuff.

Jackrat
27th December 2003, 22:14
LOL, Yeah got to agree about Triumph,How they could put the name Bonniville
on that wanabe a harley thing is beyond me :rolleyes:
I was out of the NZ bike scene for about seven years while over sea,s.
A heck of a lot has changed in that short time,Like where have all the bikes gone? There are nowhere near the amount of young people on bikes anymore,Thanks to Jap import cars I guess.
A few of my old riding mates here have given it up due to The more rigid and expensive laws. :( It seems once they could finaly afford a flash Italian bike they couldn,t afford the speeding tickets :eek5:
Iv,e noticed a lot of the bikers today are very isolated from one another,IE sport bike riders,cruisers,Italian riders, and of course a lot of Harley and BMW riders have always been prats.The born again dudes are always eazy to spot,Ya only have to watch em, in traffic for five minites to pick em,But at lest their out there and thats what counts I suppose.
As for me,,Never met a bike I didn,t like.
Big sport bikes interest me but I sure don,t ever want one.
That would be a dead Rat fer, sure .How many HP did you say :wacko:
Anyway I never thought of a bike as a status symbol.
Thats kind,a strange really <_<
Cheers. :apint:

Motu
28th December 2003, 11:56
Yep,that's my take on it too - a ramdom event that requires a random response.It actualy seems to more of a sports bike riders thing,and waving to dirt bikes is not done either.A few weeks ago I took my XT400 up the Awhitu peninsular,the same day some riders from this site went up,I think I saw them coming back,times and number of bikes matched....only one gave a halfarsed flutter of the hand,the rest didn't even blink.I posted a few pics of my ride (I went to both heads of the harbour that day) but no one said - hey,was that you?

Oh,in case this might offend someone,let me make it clear....I don't care!

mangell6
28th December 2003, 12:37
Oh,in case this might offend someone,let me make it clear....I don't care!
:lol:

Received this in an email yesterday

...Why is it that anyone thinks they're entitled to go through life without ever being offended? (c) by Randy Cassingham

Sort of makes you think.

I have a different conclusion from reading JackRats story. First wave, if no reponse, then the finger, that way I will know if they saw me and won't feel :disapint:

Mike

marty
28th December 2003, 12:51
what's wrong with italian bikes? i always wave - even to hardleys, or when i'm hanging off the side going up or down the kaimais

Jackrat
28th December 2003, 14:06
what's wrong with italian bikes? i always wave - even to hardleys, or when i'm hanging off the side going up or down the kaimais

Nothing wrong with em,what makes ya, think that?
I know most folks are friendly enough an would wave,give a nod or what ever,
These are just some more of my odd reflections on life.
It does strike me that folks are bit to concerned about just which group they belong to but:msn-wink:
If you think it,s hard to wave when riding your bike hard,try it on an old XS :shit: Mate ya, need both hands.
BTW,The best response I ever got to a casual wave was when I owned my first HD,I had just left home for work when a girl on a scooter came up the hill outside my place,I gave her a wave as she went past an the smile I got in return set the tone of the whole day. :sunny:
Cheers.

Motu
28th December 2003, 14:17
:lol:

Received this in an email yesterday

...Why is it that anyone thinks they're entitled to go through life without ever being offended? (c) by Randy Cassingham

Sort of makes you think.

I have a different conclusion from reading JackRats story. First wave, if no reponse, then the finger, that way I will know if they saw me and won't feel :disapint:

Mike

I think you got me wrong there mate - I'm not saying I don't care if I offend anyone...just I don't care one way or the other about waving...so they shouldn't be upset if I didn't wave to them - or them to me.

It's a non...but all the same,very interesting issue to me :D

mangell6
28th December 2003, 14:47
Motu,

so they shouldn't be upset if I didn't wave to them

I understood what you meant, but so many people do take offense when none was intended. :D

Mike
E

Jackrat
28th December 2003, 15:00
Motu,

so they shouldn't be upset if I didn't wave to them

I understood what you meant, but so many people do take offense when none was intended. :D

Mike
E
Yep some blokes now days are starting to act like women :whistle:
Time I shut the Ferk up huh :Oops:

SPman
28th December 2003, 21:43
Yep some blokes now days are starting to act like women :whistle:

Hey, I resemble that remark! :wavey:

angle
28th December 2003, 22:02
Went for a ride to Bethells today at 17.30, the actual ride was great as there were practicaly no cars on the road. On the way back met a girl on a naked/retro bike who had a small kid sitting just in front of her, gave her a nod, nothing in return, next there was a green TL S, gave that guy a nod too, nothing in return, and, finally in Titirangi Village saw another guy riding an old retro bike, wearing an open face helmet and sunglasses, nodded to him, in reply he just stared at me :) .

SpankMe
29th December 2003, 08:57
The problem with sportbikes waving to each other as they pass going in opposite directions is that by the time you’ve realised you have been waved at, the dudes already passed you. :bye:

Jackrat
29th December 2003, 09:52
Went for a ride to Bethells today at 17.30, the actual ride was great as there were practicaly no cars on the road. On the way back met a girl on a naked/retro bike who had a small kid sitting just in front of her, gave her a nod, nothing in return, next there was a green TL S, gave that guy a nod too, nothing in return, and, finally in Titirangi Village saw another guy riding an old retro bike, wearing an open face helmet and sunglasses, nodded to him, in reply he just stared at me :) .

Hey I know the guy on the Retro,He,s so buzy being pissed off he bought the thing he has no time for waving.
Aye Keith.. :lol:

mangell6
29th December 2003, 10:02
If at first they don't wave, use the finger! :whistle:
:lol: :lol: ;)

wkid_one
29th December 2003, 12:08
On the way back met a naked girl on a retro bike who had a small kid sitting just .......

Pity I missed that....

Try not nodding but waving??? If that fails - MOON HIM

Coldkiwi
29th December 2003, 15:09
spankme has a point. But I'm normally interested enough in other bikes to spot them far enough away to wave. Sometimes I see them too late and can't return the favour but thats only on the motorway and most riders don't look at the other traffic when you're that seperated anyway. I'd concur though... the ones that do still look at all that traffic and have waved at me have been sportsbike riders.

The response isn't really that important. Giving bikers a wave makes ME feel better. if they wave back, great. If not, thats their problem!

jrandom
30th December 2003, 12:39
Well, I've started to make a point of waving to coppers on STs. And a couple of them have actually waved back too.

Oh, and yeah, it's only the sprotbike types that seem to wave. Dunno why. I took a Virago out the other day to show me Pa and try and convince him to buy it just to get him on two wheels... funnily enough I actually felt a bit too embarrassed to wave so there must be some truth in it.

Maybe that's the problem with all the Hardley riders and wotnot, they realise half an hour after they part with their $30K that they just bought a big ugly lump that doesn't even do what it says on the box, and they feel ashamed in the presence of Proper Bikes and Discerning Riders :p

angle
31st December 2003, 02:30
Hey I know the guy on the Retro,He,s so buzy being pissed off he bought the thing he has no time for waving.
Aye Keith.. :lol:

That guy also had a mustache.

spankme has a point. But I'm normally interested enough in other bikes to spot them far enough away to wave....

Also, when a rider is accelerating out of a corner his/hers attention is usually preoccupied with the road. It would be quite possible for such a rider to notice an oncoming bike too late.

Oh, and yeah, it's only the sprotbike types that seem to wave. Dunno why.....

Well, today I've seen a cruiser, which looked custom built to me, it's rider actually waved to me on his own accord :eek:

wari
31st December 2003, 03:37
... On the way back met a girl on a naked/retro bike who had ...

... and I read that (at first) as a naked girl on a retro bike ... wishful thinking ?? dyslexia ??? Too much of this :apint: ??? ... who knows ??? I sure dont.

Hey one of my cousins used to do this to get to sleep at night ... :lol:

SpankMe
31st December 2003, 16:05
Bloody hell! Got waved at by a Harley rider today. :gob:
Almost forgot to wave back from the shock of it. Just had time to nod before he passed me. Looked like an old model sportster.

Kickaha
1st January 2004, 00:28
Well here's whys some don't wave back

http://www.okhonda-suzuki.com/wave.html

merv
1st January 2004, 08:08
I had my DR250R out on the road day before yesterday and I wave at all bikes and the surprise was about 4 out of 5 Harley riders waved back in a short space of time. Maybe they are coming of age and rejoining the clan.

Generally bugger-all riders wave at a trailbiker.

Maybe 2004 will be a good one.

Ogri
1st January 2004, 19:20
Hi - Newbie here!

I don't get the wave thingy either. Have just started biking here in NZ - took me 2 years to save for the insurance! Arrived in NZ from Scotland in early 2002 and couldn't wait to get a bike - roads are empty and the weather is DRY!!! Everybody waves to everybody in Scotland - most do in England too. I've only had the SV650 since November and I have only had my "wave" returned twice! Just yesterday, waved to a guy on an old Harley and got the evil eye back - nearly shat meself! So............. I don't give a sh...t - will keep on merrily waving to every biker I meet.
:niceone:

XRNR
2nd January 2004, 16:36
Well here's whys some don't wave back

http://www.okhonda-suzuki.com/wave.html

He he,
After reading that I want a GOLDWING!

Marmoot
2nd January 2004, 21:15
ur not the only 1, m8

Lou Girardin
3rd January 2004, 15:56
Sometimes it's easy to miss the return nod. I did get a wave from a guy sitting next to his VTR thou parked outside the cowkop pub though, that's commitment! :bigthumb:
Lou

madandy
4th January 2004, 15:33
I never got a wave on my old AX! but now I have a bike that is regularly mistaken for a 900 I get plenty of waves from mostly sportbike riders and non H-D cruisers...The local Ducatis all wave but not so many BMW owners...Had a pleasant conversation with a middle ager on his 'Guzzi California at a set of traffic lights...I find a nod is just as satisfying as a wave...either way is acknowledging a fellow 2-D flyer

discodan
12th January 2004, 14:16
I used to get a few waves until a stupid cager ran a red light and destroyed my faring, now I think most people are just trying to figure out what kind of bike im riding. :confused:

Jackrat
12th January 2004, 15:04
Went for a blat today before the heat got up,Had two guys on large sport bikes go past,gave em' a wave,Nothing F##k em' then five seconds later a guy on a GN going the clappers comes round the corner an gives a big wave,Cheers mate.
I find it a hard case because most other riders have no idea what sort of bike I'm riding.I used to find it amusing when I had my last HD,I would wave at all the sports bike riders and watch em' make like stunned mullets.
Still gives me no end of laughs watching all the image bunnys trying to work it out.I think the best one was a guy a few weeks back at the clearing on top of the Mamakus telling me how much he hated jap bikes.My bike was parked end on fifty meters away and he didn't realise what it was until I pulled away.The look on his face was price less.BTW he didn't have a bike but sure wasn't going to buy a Japper if he ever did get one :laugh: :lol:

What?
13th January 2004, 07:52
Sunday - 2 guys on jappers waved up from Kaiaua. EVERY HD rider I saw waved (about 8 or 9), and nearly every other biker on the road ignored me. Too weird...

TygerTung
4th July 2005, 12:36
Yeah I was once on my shitted CG110 at the bottom of the hill and I gave a wave to a harley rider, he waved back, but I find not too many cunts wave at you, might be cos I'm on a shitty little commuter!

MSTRS
4th July 2005, 12:54
Yeah I was once on my shitted CG110 at the bottom of the hill and I gave a wave to a harley rider, he waved back, but I find not too many cunts wave at you, might be cos I'm on a shitty little commuter!
Nah - it's cos they knew you would reopen an old thread :nono:

TygerTung
5th July 2005, 01:23
Is that not alowd?

Ixion
5th July 2005, 01:37
Is that not alowd?

Well, if you open an "old" thread because you have something new to add to it, some people will abuse you for "resurrecting old threads" . :weep:

On the other hand, if you start a new thread instead, certain other people (or maybe it's the same people) will abuse you for opening the new thread and tell you "Don't you know there's already a thread about this" :whocares:

Personally, I think both camps are tossers. If you have something to say say it, either in an old thread or a new one. The world ain't going to end either way.

So go for it :niceone:

John
5th July 2005, 01:42
If you have something to say say it, either in an old thread or a new one. The world ain't going to end either way.

So go for it :niceone:

I LOVE FLUFFY PUSSY CATS!

MSTRS
5th July 2005, 09:00
Is that not alowd?
course it is. I forgot to add the :devil2: and the :whistle:

hondacmx450
5th July 2005, 16:17
LOL, Yeah got to agree about Triumph,How they could put the name Bonniville
on that wanabe a harley thing is beyond me :rolleyes:
I was out of the NZ bike scene for about seven years while over sea,s.
A heck of a lot has changed in that short time,Like where have all the bikes gone? There are nowhere near the amount of young people on bikes anymore,Thanks to Jap import cars I guess.
A few of my old riding mates here have given it up due to The more rigid and expensive laws. :( It seems once they could finaly afford a flash Italian bike they couldn,t afford the speeding tickets :eek5:
Iv,e noticed a lot of the bikers today are very isolated from one another,IE sport bike riders,cruisers,Italian riders, and of course a lot of Harley and BMW riders have always been prats.The born again dudes are always eazy to spot,Ya only have to watch em, in traffic for five minites to pick em,But at lest their out there and thats what counts I suppose.
As for me,,Never met a bike I didn,t like.
Big sport bikes interest me but I sure don,t ever want one.
That would be a dead Rat fer, sure .How many HP did you say :wacko:
Anyway I never thought of a bike as a status symbol.
Thats kind,a strange really <_<
Cheers. :apint:
a few of here in hamilton ride togeath duks and japers and crusers we dont mind but we dont like know alls or nonwavers

Waylander
5th July 2005, 16:25
a few of here in hamilton ride togeath duks and japers and crusers we dont mind but we dont like know alls or nonwavers
We're a special bunch mate. Must have something to do with being a mid sized town instead of a conglomeration of complete and utter insanity.

pritch
5th July 2005, 16:41
what's wrong with italian bikes?

Nothing, as long as you also have access to a good van :-)

onearmedbandit
5th July 2005, 17:10
Fark me, thought this was a new thread and all, not that I care either way. But it was kinda funny reading what I posted way back in '03.

Jackrat
5th July 2005, 18:37

Well that's me buggered then.
I'm really gonn'a miss you's fella's to.